C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How much tech from Corvette Racing's C7.R is on the ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Default How much tech from Corvette Racing's C7.R is on the ZR1?

We know GM likes to transfer some of the technology from their racing teams into their street cars when possible.

Although not identical, looking at the ZR1 it's obvious the inspiration for the big rear wing came from the race car.
Certainly, there would be other technology transfers (my guess is particularly aero) from the C7R.

Anyone wish to hazard a guess or have noticed things that stand out?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

While the rear wing gets a ton of attention, I think the front underwing will end up being the most advanced piece of aero on the car. That's definitely something that, while not necessarily derived from the C7R, is very much racing derived.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

See Tadge Juecther (8-16-2016) response to a question very similar to yours. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge/3865031-answered-the-relationship-of-racecar-to-streetcar-within-corvette.html
Old 01-09-2018, 02:18 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kappa
While the rear wing gets a ton of attention, I think the front underwing will end up being the most advanced piece of aero on the car. That's definitely something that, while not necessarily derived from the C7R, is very much racing derived.
You may be quite right about that.

Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Other than a slight reference to brake cooling, the response was a lot of marketing-speak.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:21 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Cooling?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:47 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Here is a quote from Doug Louth (Chief Engineer of the race program) in the link:

From the start of the program, sharing of objectives and design concepts between the road car and race car teams led to better cars on both sides. This evolved into the sharing of engineering processes and tools. One of the earliest examples was the use of the race program’s CFD tools, processes, and personnel to support Tadge’s team in finding a solution to an urgent brake cooling challenge. This was the first of many programs where the racing engineers worked closely and collaboratively with the road car engineers and leveraged the strong capabilities from both groups to be successful.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you ever seen a c7r up close?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
Yup, and it looks nothing at all like the street car once the skin is peeled back.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

These are from the Roar Before The 24 last weekend - they were practicing and setting up the cars for the Rolex24 the end of the month.

They still say Z06 in the gill:

I like the new patriotic Jake stinger on the hood!!:

Old 01-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts

Direct comparison of the C7.R with the ZR1 would reveal that, under their skins, the two are substantially different.

Heck, even the side mirrors are different!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
These are from the Roar Before The 24 last weekend - they were practicing and setting up the cars for the Rolex24 the end of the month.

They still say Z06 in the gill:

I like the new patriotic Jake stinger on the hood!!:

I wonder If I got you on video...
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
We know GM likes to transfer some of the technology from their racing teams into their street cars when possible.

Although not identical, looking at the ZR1 it's obvious the inspiration for the big rear wing came from the race car.
Certainly, there would be other technology transfers (my guess is particularly aero) from the C7R.

Anyone wish to hazard a guess or have noticed things that stand out?
The street car and C7R share hydroformed frame rails. As I understand it, they share no other parts. I do believe some aero and wind tunnel data may be shared. Beyond that, there are probably lots of discussions but not much else-- street cars are just very different from top-tier racing cars.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I wonder If I got you on video...
I dunno!?!?

I was only there Sunday afternoon for an hour or so.

I'll definitely be at the Rolex. I've got a Corvette Corral ticket, but I need another one for my sister and brother-in-law who are coming down from Virginia.

Anybody's plans change? If you have a Corvette Corral ticket and won't be able to use it, let me know!

A Corvette Corral ticket consists of a "car pass" for one Vette, and 2 "people tickets". If you'll be coming solo and won't need both of your people tickets, I'd be interested in the one you won't be using.

PM me if you've got tickets you won't be able to use - either a full Corvette Corral ticket (car and 2 people), or just a ticket for one person for entry to the Corvette Hospitality Tent.

They always have a car or two in the Hospitality Tent - I'm hoping they may have a ZR1 there this year!!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-10-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I dunno!?!?

I was only there Sunday afternoon for an hour or so.

I'll definitely be at the Rolex. I've got a Corvette Corral ticket, but I need another one for my sister and brother-in-law who are coming down from Virginia.

Anybody's plans change? If you have a Corvette Corral ticket and won't be able to use it, let me know!

A Corvette Corral ticket consists of a "car pass" for one Vette, and 2 "people tickets". If you'll be coming solo and won't need both of your people tickets, I'd be interested in the one you won't be using.

PM me if you've got tickets you won't be able to use - either a full Corvette Corral ticket (car and 2 people), or just a ticket for one person for entry to the Corvette Hospitality Tent.

They always have a car or two in the Hospitality Tent - I'm hoping they may have a ZR1 there this year!!!

I went up for a few hours on Sunday, ended up being very nice. I definitely took that video about the time you took those pics. Saw a few people walking in the vid that you took pics of...funny stuff.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I was in the Corvette C7R work area at one of their races in LA taking pictures from several feet away and it was hard to see anything that seemed to come from the street version. So I asked the guy who was supervising the preparation for the next race, if there were any parts on the race car that came from the street version of the ZO6. He smiled and said "Yes, the tail lights".

By the way, they treated us like part of the crew as we stood around the car as they worked on it. They even gave us "Corvette Racing" hats. lol

Last edited by jim2092; 01-11-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 AM
myvette_99
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
The street car and C7R share hydroformed frame rails. As I understand it, they share no other parts. I do believe some aero and wind tunnel data may be shared. Beyond that, there are probably lots of discussions but not much else-- street cars are just very different from top-tier racing cars.
Corvette Racing gets the chassis right from the production line in Bowling Green. While the suspension is full blown race everything, I believe the rules are the attachment points have to be in the stock location.....or al least within a certain position relative to stock. I also believe they might use the stock steering column for tilt and telescope
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by jim2092
So I asked the guy who was supervising the preparation for the next race, if there were any parts on the race car that came from the street version of the ZO6. He smiled and said "Yes, the tail lights".
That sounds about right.

Get notified of new replies

To How much tech from Corvette Racing's C7.R is on the ZR1?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:19 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Regardless of what Tadge says there is nothing in common.Best part bout the race car is they don’t overheat after 1 lap��
Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
Regardless of what Tadge says there is nothing in common.Best part bout the race car is they don’t overheat after 1 lap��
Same tired refrain for the 1000th time. Not sure why you're even in here, especially when you're gonna be even more butthurt when ZR knocks it out of the park.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
If one cannot see the aerodynamic and cooling features carried over from the C7.R to the new ZR1. No amount of conversation with help.

Quick Reply: How much tech from Corvette Racing's C7.R is on the ZR1?