C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Track records will fall with the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 07:50 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 2.50s short course should be good for simple long course like I had! ;)

Originally Posted by Achmed
lol it's a wash because the extra 105 hp comes with 36 lbs of weight and both cars use the same tires.

Jk

These are the latest times claimed by GM for the z06. They also claimed the zr1 is 2.5 seconds faster than the zr1 at the shorter full course, implying about 1:53.5

but production corvette weight distribution is based on the assumption that the an extra Jim Mero weight man is in the driver seat and passenger seat must be empty. Therefore advantage = Mero over Gavin
Skank talked to Milner at Mazda. Milner said, "Any of the C7R drivers are faster than Mero"!
They now have significant down force - more like they're used to!
No excuses so maybe they'll get it on!

BUT lets calculate that for Giggles:
1:53.5/X = 1:57.03/7:01.3
X=6:48.6; beats Performante

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-24-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:35 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Skank talked to Milner at Mazda. Milner said, "Any of the C7R drivers are faster than Mero"!
They now have significant down force - more like they're used to!
No excuses so maybe they'll get it on!
You're absolutely right Johnglenntwo !!! I asked Tommy Milner point blank if he could beat Mero around Laguna Seca. And he said "yes for sure". The question is, which one of the six drivers would be fastest at the Nordshliefe ?? Porsche has a few drivers that have a lot of time around the ring. I actually think Antonio Garcia might be the fastest of the four main drivers and he certainly is probably the lightest. But he may not have any time on the ring !

Last edited by skank; 12-24-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
There is NO way the Z06 beats the ZR1 on ANY track of any kind! Period.
Ever been on a track where the fastest car has several hundred horsepower less than the hot dog car? Happens all the time. That is why handling is so important.

Bill
Old 12-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Ever been on a track where the fastest car has several hundred horsepower less than the hot dog car? Happens all the time. That is why handling is so important.

Bill
may be the grand sport should be taking all the corvette lap records lol
Old 12-24-2017, 11:29 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by skank
You're absolutely right Johnglenntwo !!! I asked Tommy Milner point blank if he could beat Mero around Laguna Seca. And he said "yes for sure". The question is, which one of the six drivers would be fastest at the Nordshliefe ?? Porsche has a few drivers that have a lot of time around the ring. I actually think Antonio Garcia might be the fastest of the four main drivers and he certainly is probably the lightest. But he may not have any time on the ring !
Milner beat Randy Pobst in a z06 around road atlanta while talking the whole time to the camera fwiw
Old 12-25-2017, 12:53 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Milner beat Randy Pobst in a z06 around road atlanta while talking the whole time to the camera fwiw
That's right. I remember that video!!
Old 12-25-2017, 07:57 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

View this post on Instagram
Old 12-25-2017, 08:23 AM
19th_hole
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...gring-lap-time

With Porsche test driver Lars Kern and factory racing driver Nick Tandy taking turns on the track, the car was setting times below 6:50 almost immediately. In the end it was Kern who set the fastest time.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:48 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 19th_hole
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...gring-lap-time

With Porsche test driver Lars Kern and factory racing driver Nick Tandy taking turns on the track, the car was setting times below 6:50 almost immediately. In the end it was Kern who set the fastest time.
In theory Tandy should be able to run a faster lap than a development engineer test driver. But these test drivers are getting real fast these days.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Achmed
Drifting

In theory Tandy should be able to run a faster lap than a development engineer test driver. But these test drivers are getting real fast these days.
Lars Kern does also race professionally, and has experience endurance racing at the Ring.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:00 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default I thought you/he mentioned this Skank! Here it is -

http://www.superchevy.com/events/vem...t-nurburgring/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:05 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

While it's impressive that Chevrolet has been able to claim some records using in-house amateur drivers, it would be interesting to see how much time they have left on the table by throwing some pros into the seat. Antonio Garcia is probably the fastest at Corvette racing, right now.

Porsche used Mark Weber, I think, on that epic Nurburgring GT2 lap, and with F1 and WEC credentials you would have to say that Porsche was treating this pretty seriously.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:12 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

You know Motor Trend will get a GT2 RS and the ZR1 at Laguna Seca with Randy Pobst driving both. Then we will see where the ZR1 stands in the grand scheme of things. After all, they have a lot of data on the ZR1 after 3 days of testing last spring
What are the chances that you'll be there again to watch if/when this happens? How I'd love to have a peek at the track action that day!

Last edited by Les; 12-25-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:16 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Just checked the video, and I'm wrong about Weber. Thought I had read that somewhere, but Porsche has a strong lineup of drivers, so they probably have several people who could match or beat this.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:30 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Les
What are the chances that you'll be there again to watch if/when this happens? How I'd love to have a peek at the track action that day!
Oh I'll be there if they show up. Like the previous times that I've attended the Motor Trend tests, they will never allow me to time their laps while watching it with them. I would have to leave and time it from a different location than the start finish line. Of course I still wouldn't broadcast the times to the forum here out of respect for their storyline. But I certainly could give our forum a thumbs up if our ZR1 were to blitz the 911.

Last edited by skank; 12-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Les
Race Director

Oh I'll be there if they show up. Like the previous times that I've attended the Motor Trend tests, they will never allow me to time their laps while watching it with them. I would have to leave and time it from a different location than the start finish line. Of course I still wouldn't broadcast the times to the forum here out of respect for their storyline. But I certainly could give our forum a thumbs up if our ZR1 were to blitz the 911.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:02 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Skank,
I was hanging out with a couple of Ford GT owners this weeeknd and they claim that the "rumor" is Randy ran Laguna Seca in the New Ford GT just recently and the story will be in Motor Trend in a month or so. Did you happen to see or hear of such a thing happening?

Although the NFGT is pretty much unattainable for most of us due to availability and cost, it will be interesting to see how this car does at Laguna Seca compared to the ZR1 and the ACR-E.

Get notified of new replies

To Track records will fall with the ZR1

Old 12-25-2017, 04:06 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Aha, a willful Omission!? ;)

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Skank and some kind of political involvement!? I thought he may have tweaked his original story! Either that or I remembered it right, wrongfully!?
When does Mero post times at Laguna Seca!http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-25-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
lets go!! you have a spare bedroom for me?
Old 12-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
lets go!! you have a spare bedroom for me?
Man, if you made the trip I could probably set you up. My dad's house (he passed away in '09 but my stepmom still lives there) is about 3 miles from the front entry at Laguna Seca. The wife and I stay there on race weekends and it's a sweet set up. I suspect I could convince her to let you use the spare bedroom.

Quick Reply: Track records will fall with the ZR1