C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Track records will fall with the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 09:13 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,155 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Skank,
I was hanging out with a couple of Ford GT owners this weeeknd and they claim that the "rumor" is Randy ran Laguna Seca in the New Ford GT just recently and the story will be in Motor Trend in a month or so. Did you happen to see or hear of such a thing happening?

Although the NFGT is pretty much unattainable for most of us due to availability and cost, it will be interesting to see how this car does at Laguna Seca compared to the ZR1 and the ACR-E.
No I didn't see or even hear about it. Normally they post it on their calendar but sometimes they use a Mazda day where MT trades track time for ad space.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:22 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo

Skank and some kind of political involvement!? I thought he may have tweaked his original story! Either that or I remembered it right, wrongfully!?
When does Mero post times at Laguna Seca!http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988
Mero was there when they were testing the ZR1 last spring. I also saw Juan Pablo Montoya and Helio Castro Neves testing the new Penske Acura ARX-5 Dpi car there 2 weeks ago. Very fast car.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:59 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I'm still back at your ZO6 Milner meeting thing!

Originally Posted by skank
Mero was there when they were testing the ZR1 last spring. I also saw Juan Pablo Montoya and Helio Castro Neves testing the new Penske Acura ARX-5 Dpi car there 2 weeks ago. Very fast car.
I thought you discussed the Ring with him, and that's when he mentioned all his knowledge of all the Ring turns from racing. I know he causally told someone that, and I don't know of any other casual conversations. Add their being faster than Mero.....but, I've been confused before!
Also, Corvette Racing surely isn't putting down the VIR times!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-26-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:25 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
I thought you discussed the Ring with him, and that's when he mentioned all his knowledge of all the Ring turns from racing. I know he causally told someone that, and I don't know of any other casual conversations. Add their being faster than Mero.....but, I've been confused before!
Also, Corvette Racing surely isn't putting down the VIR times -
I've met Tommy Milner quite a few times. The first time was during the C7 Stingray intro at Laguna Seca where they were giving rides by a few instructors from Spring Mountain and Tommy Milner of Corvette Racing. Johnny O'Connel also was giving rides as well. A few years later during the IMSA race I Talked to Tommy while standing around in the pits on Set up day Thursday or Friday. I asked him if he could set a time for the new ZO6 around Laguna Seca and if he could beat Mero's time there and at the ring. He said, he for sure could run a faster time than Mero at the ring. Anyone of the four main drivers of Corvette Racing could probably set a incredible time at Laguna or any other track where they race at. It appears from Gavins Twitter feed that I posted above that he is going back to the ring this Spring for a ZR1 run. That would be stellar !!!
Old 12-26-2017, 06:29 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Cool! ;)

I've met Tommy Milner quite a few times. The first time was during the C7 Stingray intro at Laguna Seca where they were giving rides by a few instructors from Spring Mountain and Tommy Milner of Corvette Racing. Johnny O'Connel also was giving rides as well. A few years later during the IMSA race I Talked to Tommy while standing around in the pits on Set up day Thursday or Friday. I asked him if he could set a time for the new ZO6 around Laguna Seca and if he could beat Mero's time there and at the ring. He said, he for sure could run a faster time than Mero at the ring. Anyone of the four main drivers of Corvette Racing could probably set a incredible time at Laguna or any other track where they race at. It appears from Gavins Twitter feed that I posted above that he is going back to the ring this Spring for a ZR1 run. That would be stellar !!!
Stellar!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:40 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

No I didn't see or even hear about it. Normally they post it on their calendar but sometimes they use a Mazda day where MT trades track time for ad space.
It would be fascinating to compare times of same day runs of the GT and the ZR1 (and that frickin' Porsche!).

Johnny O'Connel also was giving rides as well.
When Johnny left Team Corvette to spearhead the Cadillac World Challenge program, I thought it meant he was washed up.
Nothing could have been further from the truth.
He completely dominated the series with some absolutely drives.
Ol' Johnny may have had some years on him, but he still knew what it took to win.
It appears from Gavins Twitter feed that I posted above that he is going back to the ring this Spring for a ZR1 run. That would be stellar !!!
They damn darn well better.
The ZR1 is alleged to be designed as a track weapon...they need to walk the talk this time (as opposed to the Z06 fiasco ).
Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Is the ZR1 faster than a SPEEDING BULLIT.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

THIS AINT YOUR ZO6 ANYMORE!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-26-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:11 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

it's also possible if one asked Mero who would lap faster in a road corvette between himself and c7r drivers he would say himself Lol. It's interesting Tommy said that and maybe he's correct but maybe he's not either, it's just one perspective and perhaps time will tell.

In the YouTube videos of the zr1s at the Ring this past summer it looks like Mero is in the car with black mirrors and Gavin is in the one with red mirrors.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:49 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default It's probable if one asked Mero!?

Originally Posted by Achmed
it's also possible if one asked Mero who would lap faster in a road corvette between himself and c7r drivers he would say himself Lol. It's interesting Tommy said that and maybe he's correct but maybe he's not either, it's just one perspective and perhaps time will tell.

In the YouTube videos of the zr1s at the Ring this past summer it looks like Mero is in the car with black mirrors and Gavin is in the one with red mirrors.
He would be happy if You could beat him (GROW-UP)!

Just Kidding!
Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Achmed
It's interesting Tommy said that and maybe he's correct but maybe he's not either, it's just one perspective and perhaps time will tell.
It's hard to believe a professional racing driver would be slower than an engineer.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:16 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

ya, an engineer that races,and probably has driven the factory race cars too,[I wonder if anybody timed him in those?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default 10-years ago!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rburgring.html

Mero thinks a humans needed on track!? Competing at limit is a variable between human drivers too!
http://www.grandtournation.com/3228/...driver-ns0128/

Mero running with this Current Competitor guy? No-Way!
http://www.grandtournation.com/3228/...driver-ns0128/

http://www.carreracup.com.au/driver/lars-kern/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Randy ran the new FGT at Willow Springs, not MRLS as far as I know.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:40 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
ya, an engineer that races,and probably has driven the factory race cars too,[I wonder if anybody timed him in those?
I meant it with no disrespect to Mr. Mero.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
Randy ran the new FGT at Willow Springs, not MRLS as far as I know.
Well that's a bummer....I really want to hear how it performs at Laguna Seca so we can compare it to other fast cars. I'm starting to think the car is not as fast as it might be believed because Ford has not made any public times in the magazines and the car has been available for the last year. I would not be surprised in the least if the EcoBoost is having issues trying to keep cool under multiple fast hot laps.

I'm also hearing that Mazda is pulling the sponsorship at Laguna Seca....don't know what that means or if the track will be able to survive without a major title sponsor. The place is falling apart (facilities) and needs a lot of $$$$ to bring it up to quality standards. Add to that the neighbors don't want any car noise and it might be a tough go for this iconic track.

Very sad if it becomes a seagull sanctuary or something stupid like that.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Well that's a bummer....I really want to hear how it performs at Laguna Seca so we can compare it to other fast cars. I'm starting to think the car is not as fast as it might be believed because Ford has not made any public times in the magazines and the car has been available for the last year. I would not be surprised in the least if the EcoBoost is having issues trying to keep cool under multiple fast hot laps.

I'm also hearing that Mazda is pulling the sponsorship at Laguna Seca....don't know what that means or if the track will be able to survive without a major title sponsor. The place is falling apart (facilities) and needs a lot of $$$$ to bring it up to quality standards. Add to that the neighbors don't want any car noise and it might be a tough go for this iconic track.

Very sad if it becomes a seagull sanctuary or something stupid like that.
I commented on Randy's post on Facebook and he made it seem like the FGT is fast. MT is doing a Head 2 Head with the FGT and 720S from what the post talked about. I do not think it is as fast as people think it is either, I know in a straight line the C7Z outruns it. Manual or A8, on IG some guys were running low 11's or it may of been another forum in their FGT's. Ford has no push to run the car as everyone wants one anyway and they have already sold them all.

That will be a sad day when Laguna Seca shuts down. I would love to run there before I die haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Track records will fall with the ZR1

Old 12-27-2017, 07:50 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Guys, don't worry about Laguna Seca closing. Considering the insane amounts of money that it brings to the local economy just in the month of August alone, there is no chance of that happening.

For the past few years there have been conflicts between the organization operating track, the county, and race organizers. From what I understand, these disputes are about money. Maybe they wanted more from Mazda?

Back to the topic...I'm sure you guys saw the lap Bill Wise (chief Camaro suspension engineer) did in the Camaro at the Ring, right? That should put to rest any argument about how good some engineers can drive.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:36 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Race Car vs Production Car!?

That line makes sense to determine whose the most qualified to go after the prize!

IE The C7R's time on rain tires at VIR, and/or Milford, vs the ZO6ZO7's; could demonstrate an exercise for marketing!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-27-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:32 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Innovate
Ford has no push to run the car as everyone wants one anyway and they have already sold them all.
You are absolutely right.
The car is sold out; the marketing is done.
To take it to a track(s) for official timings, would just be another expense for Ford.
They have nothing to gain now.
I would love to run there before I die haha.
They do have open track days...lots of guys here go.
Originally Posted by kdm123
Guys, don't worry about Laguna Seca closing. Considering the insane amounts of money that it brings to the local economy just in the month of August alone, there is no chance of that happening.
Thank God for that.
LS is a great track.
There is nothing in the world like The Corkscrew.
I'm sure you guys saw the lap Bill Wise (chief Camaro suspension engineer) did in the Camaro at the Ring, right? That should put to rest any argument about how good some engineers can drive.
You're right, an incredible lap by Wise.

Quick Reply: Track records will fall with the ZR1