C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Track records will fall with the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:43 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Right!? ;)

Originally Posted by kdm123
I'm sure you guys saw the lap Bill Wise (chief Camaro suspension engineer) did in the Camaro at the Ring, right? That should put to rest any argument about how good some engineers can drive.
If an Oliver Gavin simply truly finds the ZR1 fun to push hard there could really be some Magic abrewing, a synergy if you will!

(If you think about it a happy racer used to an impeccably handling racecar would speak volumes!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-28-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:57 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I always find it cool that all these Corvette lap times are set by Jim Mero rather than a factory racer. Most all of the 'ring times by other companies are set with pros (Nissan used a former F1 driver for the GT-R times!!)
And of course Milner's going to say he's faster than Mero!!!!! (He better be).
The thing that is impressive about Mero is that he is VERY quick but he can also figure what needs fixing and FIX IT. All the new mag ride configurations are his.

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-27-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
If an Oliver Gavin simply truly finds the ZR1 fun to push hard there could really be some Magic abrewing, a synergy if you will!
he didn't find that synergy with the c7 grand sport Lol, he was around a second behind Andy Pilgrim on a sub 1:30 track. Hoping it's different with the zr1 though!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Do you guys realize just how impressive that 1:55.95 is that he turned on VIR Full? Just look at the Z06 fast list and see what us mere mortal "advanced" drivers turn. None of us are even close. Jim may not be a "pro" but I bet he's got an understanding and confidence level with that chassis that nobody else does.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Achmed (12-27-2017), jimmyb (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:05 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
You're absolutely right Johnglenntwo !!! I asked Tommy Milner point blank if he could beat Mero around Laguna Seca. And he said "yes for sure". The question is, which one of the six drivers would be fastest at the Nordshliefe ?? Porsche has a few drivers that have a lot of time around the ring. I actually think Antonio Garcia might be the fastest of the four main drivers and he certainly is probably the lightest. But he may not have any time on the ring !
How much time does Tommy Milner have at Nurburgring?
We KNOW Jim Mero has LOTS of laps there.

Again, I would hope that all the C7R team drivers are faster than Mero....they're paid to do that. I would offer that RACE drivers are used to RACE cars and driving a production car on street tires is entirely different. So, while Millner would, no doubt, be faster in the C7R, I bet even HE (Millner) would be surprised how close Mero would be to him in a GS/Z06/ZR1.
As much stock as gets put into these lap times by the public, you can bet that if the C7R drivers were that much faster in the street cars, they'd put them in there.

There's something awfully neat about the ride and handling engineer posting HERO laps, rather than the factory hotshoe.

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-27-2017 at 04:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Achmed (12-27-2017), keagan (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:28 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Yes, But!? ;)

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Do you guys realize just how impressive that 1:55.95 is that he turned on VIR Full? Just look at the Z06 fast list and see what us mere mortal "advanced" drivers turn. None of us are even close. Jim may not be a "pro" but I bet he's got an understanding and confidence level with that chassis that nobody else does.
A frenetic Hard 7 minute lap on an older man!?

Remember 2012 at the 4' mark!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-28-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

A frenetic Hard 7' on a older man!?
We need a "translate" button. We can then maybe understand these type of posts!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default I understand!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
We need a "translate" button. We can then maybe understand these type of posts!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:16 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

I was told by a person that works at Laguna Seca that phase 1 of track improvements is now underway. They have been doing a lot of work already. Evidently a new bridge over the start-finish line is getting ready to start.
The following users liked this post:
Innovate (12-29-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The Plot Thickens! ;)

Originally Posted by Innovate
Randy ran the new FGT at Willow Springs, not MRLS as far as I know.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...8-leaked-again
Old 12-29-2017, 02:47 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

I was told by a person that works at Laguna Seca that phase 1 of track improvements is now underway. They have been doing a lot of work already. Evidently a new bridge over the start-finish line is getting ready to start.
I heard that Mazda is pulling away from sponsoring LS. Is that correct?
Old 12-29-2017, 04:41 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
I haven't heard that but I guess its possible. All I've seen and heard was that they are moving forward on a plan to modernize all of Laguna Seca. Friends of Laguna Seca group were ready to invest 50 million. Most local serious race fans wanted the friends group vs ISC (Nascar).

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...34fcba2c3.html

http://friendsoflagunaseca.org

Last edited by skank; 12-29-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:44 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

I haven't heard that but I guess its possible. All I've seen and heard was that they are moving forward on a plan to modernize all of Laguna Seca. Friends of Laguna Seca group were ready to invest 50 million. Most local serious race fans wanted the friends group vs ISC (Nascar).

Sounds good. I've never been to LS but I heard from friends that it really needs a "renovation" and fast. Good thing that its already under way!

Look what I found about Mazda:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/17129/m...be-laguna-seca
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

This has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed. Do you ever make any sense?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:47 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender

As the article indicates, Mazda is gone next season and the name reverts back to Laguna Seca Raceway. As for the Friends of Laguna Seca group, at one point it looked like they were set to take over management of the track but their money never materialized. The county then decided to stay with SCRAMP, who have operated the facility since its inception in 1958.

It is a very precarious time for the track based on the significant financial hit they're taking with the loss of the Mazda money. Only time will tell what happens. They most definitely need to secure some major sponsorship to make much needed improvements that had been planned and in the works before the loss of Mazda and that funding transpired. Hopefully they can get it figured out. No one, other than those that built homes in the vicinity of the track and now complain about the noise and traffic it creates, want to see it go away. That's the one for sure thing.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:00 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Nope! ;)

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
This has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed. Do you ever make any sense?
  1. FGT
  2. ZO6 track times FALLING!

But, the good news is there may not be an eLSD in the Mustang, or the FGT!
But, the FGT does have the extra Port fuel Injection!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

1. FGT
  2. ZO6 track times FALLING!

But, the good news is there may not be an eLSD in the Mustang, or the FGT!
But, the FGT does have the extra Port fuel Injection!

I saw a new GT500 article?

Get notified of new replies

To Track records will fall with the ZR1

Old 12-29-2017, 07:58 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default So what are you trying to say!? ;)

Originally Posted by Innovate
I saw a new GT500 article?
Not interested in what the competition is doing? Not having an ediff is really critical. From what I've been able to figure out it is a deal breaker! No new great GT2 RS, or ZL1(800 HP!?), without it!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-29-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:07 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Give yourself a belated Christmas present.......go to "User CP" and then click on "Edit Ignore List" and type in his user name.

Poof....away go his posts that derail any sense of logical communication.

Companies that run forums wonder why people are moving in droves to facebook and other social media outlets.....it's actually their own doing for not paying attention and moderating threads correctly. Break up the flow, make it hard to follow, make it irritating to read and people move on....especially with so many other options out there. Eventually enough people leave that it doesn't pay for the forum sponsors to advertise and the forum dies.

Here is a question to the moderators, would you allow somebody to post in Chinese?....because right now there's not much difference.
The following users liked this post:
3 Z06ZR1 (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 08:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default What!? ;)

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Give yourself a belated Christmas present.......go to "User CP" and then click on "Edit Ignore List" and type in his user name.

Poof....away go his posts that derail any sense of logical communication.

Companies that run forums wonder why people are moving in droves to facebook and other social media outlets.....it's actually their own doing for not paying attention and moderating threads correctly. Break up the flow, make it hard to follow, make it irritating to read and people move on....especially with so many other options out there. Eventually enough people leave that it doesn't pay for the forum sponsors to advertise and the forum dies.

Here is a question to the moderators, would you allow somebody to post in Chinese?....because right now there's not much difference.
The Mazda situation had nothing to do with Track Records! It's interesting, but, peripheral information. Grow up and Yes please do go away, I get thousands of views!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 12-29-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Track records will fall with the ZR1