C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

MOTOR TREND February 2018

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 06:38 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
Default MOTOR TREND February 2018

I'm sure some of you guys have seen the ZR1 Convertible in this month's issue of MT. Here's a little snippet I thought was interesting coming from a GM guy."The ZR1 shares then bones of the Z06 but adds more power more refinement ,a giant wing,and a "PLEDGE THAT IT'S FOR EVERYONE" I may be wrong but I take that to mean ANYONE CAN BUY ONE THAT WANTS ONE, that the price will /would not be really high. Well $150,000 and maybe more is HIGH and not affordable for lots of Corvette buyers. Yes I know it's special and that's their business but please GM DON'T BS us. If the ME is that much I'm out

Walter Raulerson
Old 12-31-2017, 07:04 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

I could be wrong but i think they mean that it's a supercar that is affordable compared to high end exotics. Of course not everyone can afford a 150k car, hell a lot of people can't afford a 50k car, which is why the corvette itself in "base" form is somewhat exclusive.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:18 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Wow, I surely hope that the ME is $150,000 and up so that I don't see one every time I turn around. I am hoping for a front engine C8 that is basically an evolution of the C7, plus a separate new high-end ME line that competes with the exotics. Even if an ME is $150,000, that's still $100,000+ less than the cars it's competing with.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:38 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I'm sure some of you guys have seen the ZR1 Convertible in this month's issue of MT. Here's a little snippet I thought was interesting coming from a GM guy."The ZR1 shares then bones of the Z06 but adds more power more refinement ,a giant wing,and a "PLEDGE THAT IT'S FOR EVERYONE" I may be wrong but I take that to mean ANYONE CAN BUY ONE THAT WANTS ONE, that the price will /would not be really high. Well $150,000 and maybe more is HIGH and not affordable for lots of Corvette buyers. Yes I know it's special and that's their business but please GM DON'T BS us. If the ME is that much I'm out

Walter Raulerson

Sorry. It’s price has been announced starting at $120K (with more than a few already saying theirs will exceed $150K as they equip it); and second, it production has already been announced as being 200 or less per month (with the production cycle for 2019 current being “approximately” 13 months long (the word approximately comes from GM in a document to its dealers who have 1 or more ZR1 allocations.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
I could be wrong but i think they mean that it's a supercar that is affordable compared to high end exotics.
I think this whole thing about what is and is not a Supercar is a little ridiculous.
Google doesn't help...there is a million definitions out there.

Is it price?
Is it the use of carbon fiber?
What exactly?
Don't tell me it's limited production...there is nothing "super" about that.

If measured in performance, the Z06 and the now dead Viper certainly qualify.
Both destroy 90% of the Euro "Supercars" around a track on a regular basis.
In a straight line, they are second only to a few, and most are AWDs.

FWIW and IMO, performance is the primary distinction.
"Supercars" should be able to outperform ordinary cars by a considerable amount.
GM already has a "supercar," the ZR1 is simply a variant.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I think this whole thing about what is and is not a Supercar is a little ridiculous.

Is it price?
What exactly?

"Supercars" should be able to outperform ordinary cars by a considerable amount.
A supercar is much more than just performance. It also has exotic qualities and is exclusive. The viper and vette are great bbq performong sports cars. Both are far too attainable for an average person.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:45 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

OK, are you saying it's primarily price?
Old 01-01-2018, 11:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
A supercar is much more than just performance. It also has exotic qualities and is exclusive. The viper and vette are great bbq performong sports cars. Both are far too attainable for an average person.
Average person doesn't have a C7Z06 or a Viper. Not even close! I see you don't have one!
People buy them and hold them for few months and sell them. Mainly because of money reasons!

1200 or more is a house payment for most. A Z06 costs 2-4 times the average Joes car!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 01-01-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:18 AM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Soon as you drive it off the lot, you mind as throw 20k out the window. Cause these will be had for under 100k in no time. Just look at that C7 turd
Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Speednet
Wow, I surely hope that the ME is $150,000 and up so that I don't see one every time I turn around. I am hoping for a front engine C8 that is basically an evolution of the C7, plus a separate new high-end ME line that competes with the exotics. Even if an ME is $150,000, that's still $100,000+ less than the cars it's competing with.
Seeing "one around every corner" is not a problem where I live. On any given day doing errands and even going to the Raleigh/Durham area I might see 1 or 2 C7s at the most. I do this trip every 2-3 months and rarely see more than that. It stands to reason more population more Corvettes. If they have them I don't know where they are.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

OK, are you saying it's primarily price?
It's like **** you know it when you see it
The following 2 users liked this post by Walter Raulerson:
Chip E. (01-01-2018), TARANTULA (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,104 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Soon as you drive it off the lot, you mind as throw 20k out the window. Cause these will be had for under 100k in no time. Just look at that C7 turd
Not very nice.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:03 PM
The Z
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ZR1 Cost

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson

Walter Raulerson
Hello, I just ordered a ZR1, 3LZ coupe. $133K. Plus whatever the guzzler tax will be, around $2000 I think. I did have a trade that helped on the tax. At least with a starting price of almost $120K many options are standard. Not too far from hitting the $150 mark. Expensive yes, $33K more than my last 2016 Z06 convertible, but that $33k is buying the highest performing vette yet. Can't wait to see her.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Chip E.
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I think it's going to be fairly exclusive, but I also think that those that can afford it (and purchase one) will want the 2020 mid-engine, and a used C7 ZR1 will be affordable for mortals. Ok, maybe that's just wishful thinking.

In the meantime, I'm working my *** off to be able to afford one (after I get the wife a new house somewhere warmer than Illinois). Happy wife, happy life.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:25 PM
The Z
Intermediate

Default Purchase

Originally Posted by Chip E.
I think it's going to be fairly exclusive, but I also think that those that can afford it (and purchase one) will want the 2020 mid-engine, and a used C7 ZR1 will be affordable for mortals. Ok, maybe that's just wishful thinking.

In the meantime, I'm working my *** off to be able to afford one (after I get the wife a new house somewhere warmer than Illinois). Happy wife, happy life.
Sounds like a reasonable plan (and wise). Yes, you better keep Moma happy! I too considered the possibility of a year or two release of the ME. My thinking is (assuming I can buy one) is that I will pass on the first year, and see what they do in the second year. In the meantime driving this one should be pretty sweet for a few years!
Old 01-01-2018, 07:40 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Is it price?
What exactly?

I concur!!!!
If it performs like a supercar, it is a supercar.
Unless it is a motorcycle, that's a whole nother question
If it doesn't it isn't, no matter how chic.
I care little for "exclusivity".
I value greatly the simplest engineering that gets the desired result, as much as I admire the engineering artistry of other supercars.
I named our Z06 "Raquel", with nods to Ms. Welch.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Not very nice.
"C-7 turd." Guess that makes the Z06 a son-of-a-turd.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (01-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To MOTOR TREND February 2018

Old 01-03-2018, 08:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by desmophile
If it doesn't it isn't, no matter how chic.
I care little for "exclusivity".

There are a lot "chic" cars out there that don't have top-level Sportscar performance.
IMO, they can't be defined as "Supercars."

I named our Z06 "Raquel", with nods to Ms. Welch.
Nice.
My wife named ours "Ruby," because the Long Beach Red color reminded her of Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers:

Old 01-06-2018, 04:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip E.

If you can "afford" a ZR1 in Illinois and move to a low tax state (Texas/Florida) you will be able to pay for the ZR1 with the TAX SAVING ALONE!!! ($600,000 house in Chicago is only $200,000 here)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:47 PM
The Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
If you can "afford" a ZR1 in Illinois and move to a low tax state (Texas/Florida) you will be able to pay for the ZR1 with the TAX SAVING ALONE!!! ($600,000 house in Chicago is only $200,000 here)
You don't have to tell or convince me of that! My boss has already moved to Dallas (he can do that he owns the place). For some reason the people that run this state can not figure out that people will move when you tax the crap out them. Illinois is a mess. But I have a few more years to work then I will see after that. I could ride my my motorcycle just about year round down there. Man in Texas I could probably mount a short 12 gauge in the back of the ZR1

In the meantime I sit and wait here in the cold look forward to hearing about a new ZR1.

Quick Reply: MOTOR TREND February 2018