C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Another "ZR1" - GM will LOVE this

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:53 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Another "ZR1" - GM will LOVE this

At work this morning, our local IBM rep came in for a meeting we scheduled a couple of weeks ago. During the pre-meeting chitchat, he apologized for not being able to make it last week, when we attempted to originally schedule it. His reason for not being available last week was that he was at an IBM boot-camp learning about a new baby mainframe.

IBM's current lineup of mainframes are known as SystemZ, so everything is branded as such, operating system - z/OS, mainframe hardware models - started back with the z800's up to the latest, a z14. The model he was at boot-camp to learn was a small z14, which will be IBM's first foray into rack-mounted mainframes. Soooo they, IBM, came up with a new naming scheme. Since this will be the first of the new line of rack-mounted mainframes, as will all future mainframes, it will be called ... wait ... for ... it, the zR1 Z, for SystemZ, R for rack-mounted, and 1, as the first model in the new line.

The IBM rep, knowing I am deep into Corvettes and kinda lust for the new ZR1, looked at me and chuckled remarking that perhaps IBM & GM could co-market their respective ZR1's; the fastest and baddest mainframe is just as fast and bad as GM's fastest and baddest Corvette.

Made-ja look.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:56 AM
KGV
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the depreciation on IBMs Z will be far greater than that of GMs Z Our Z12 (EC12) went out the door last fall, and we did not get much for it. The IBM will never be a classic like the C4,C6 and the C7 Zs will be.

Ken
Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

I want my click back...
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 PM
thejuice401
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

cool story bro
Old 02-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Thread of the year contender.
The following users liked this post:
GreenGA (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGA
At work this morning, our local IBM rep came in for a meeting we scheduled a couple of weeks ago. During the pre-meeting chitchat, he apologized for not being able to make it last week, when we attempted to originally schedule it. His reason for not being available last week was that he was at an IBM boot-camp learning about a new baby mainframe.

IBM's current lineup of mainframes are known as SystemZ, so everything is branded as such, operating system - z/OS, mainframe hardware models - started back with the z800's up to the latest, a z14. The model he was at boot-camp to learn was a small z14, which will be IBM's first foray into rack-mounted mainframes. Soooo they, IBM, came up with a new naming scheme. Since this will be the first of the new line of rack-mounted mainframes, as will all future mainframes, it will be called ... wait ... for ... it, the zR1 Z, for SystemZ, R for rack-mounted, and 1, as the first model in the new line.

The IBM rep, knowing I am deep into Corvettes and kinda lust for the new ZR1, looked at me and chuckled remarking that perhaps IBM & GM could co-market their respective ZR1's; the fastest and baddest mainframe is just as fast and bad as GM's fastest and baddest Corvette.

Made-ja look.
Your IBM rep must be a little young. That isn't the first rack mounted main frame from IBM. I worked on the first rack mounted ones back in the 1980s and early 90s. We even had one mounted in standard 19 inch off the shelf electronic equipment racks in the back of a HumVee that went to the Desert in the first Gulf War back in 91. Another one was mounted in a trailer with a bunch of other electronic equipment. Never asked why the Army wanted to install them in those vehicles. They actually survived the desert sand and heat quite well when compared to the Mil Spec equipment that had problems.

Bill
Old 02-09-2018, 04:23 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KGV
I think the depreciation on IBMs Z will be far greater than that of GMs Z Our Z12 (EC12) went out the door last fall, and we did not get much for it. The IBM will never be a classic like the C4,C6 and the C7 Zs will be.

Ken
I agree, When we let go of our z12 and a z196, to buy the z13, it was pennies on the dollar.

I know, waaaaaaaaaay off topic.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:23 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I want my click back...
Here ya go.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Your IBM rep must be a little young. That isn't the first rack mounted main frame from IBM. I worked on the first rack mounted ones back in the 1980s and early 90s. We even had one mounted in standard 19 inch off the shelf electronic equipment racks in the back of a HumVee that went to the Desert in the first Gulf War back in 91. Another one was mounted in a trailer with a bunch of other electronic equipment. Never asked why the Army wanted to install them in those vehicles. They actually survived the desert sand and heat quite well when compared to the Mil Spec equipment that had problems.

Bill
Well, my rep is about 3 years younger than me, and I'm 66. That said, I've been doing this stuff, mainframe OS (VS1, CP6.7, MFT, MVS and all the way up to z/OS), since 78 and I've never known of a mainframe that was in a standard 19" rack.

I would love to know which model IBM mainframe was rack mounted though.

Oh, I forgot..., IBM did offer P/390 and P/390e cards back in the 90's that one could install in a PC to run MVS, OS/390 and early releases of z/OS all under OS/2. What makes that memory lapse even worse, is I have three of these suckers running, or powered down, upstairs in my office.

Get notified of new replies

To Another "ZR1" - GM will LOVE this

Quick Reply: Another "ZR1" - GM will LOVE this