Z06/ZR1 Splitter Endcaps/Winglets Tread Wear Question - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Z06/ZR1 Splitter Endcaps/Winglets Tread Wear Question

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Z06/ZR1 Splitter Endcaps/Winglets Tread Wear Question

Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 AM
HTXSkydiver
CF Senior Member

Default Z06/ZR1 Splitter Endcaps/Winglets Tread Wear Question

When the Z07 came out I remember hearing of the splitter "endcaps" or "winglets" causing so much downforce at highway speed that it would cause significantly higher tread wear to the Cup 2's. Posted somewhere (forget where exactly) someone mentioned the front tires (Cup 2) were almost totally worn out after a 1200ish mile drive home from Bowling Green. Can anyone confirm this or front tire tread wear difference between Z07 endcaps on vs off under normal street/highway driving?

Some of the ZR1 high wing (ZTK) examples seen in the wild are missing the carbon fiber endcaps/winglets as well. Personally I like the look of them but they obviously do not add much if anything during regular street driving. I plan to swap tires on my ZR1 in Bowling Green before the drive back to Houston however trying to decide whether the endcaps should be removed as well for roughly 1300 miles of highway in order to save tires.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,727 Times in 723 Posts

Not sure who said that but its the first I've heard of it and that doesn't match my experience. Alignment is the big issue if you don't track.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
HTXSkydiver
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
Not sure who said that but its the first I've heard of it and that doesn't match my experience. Alignment is the big issue if you don't track.
What alignment issue are you referring to? Haven't heard about that yet.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM
hcvone
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Having it street aligned vs track alignment, I had this done (street aligned) my last 2 Z07's, the tires will last longer because the camber is not as extreme, for me this is fine because I only use my cars on the street, because I'm old.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:16 PM
HTXSkydiver
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
Having it street aligned vs track alignment, I had this done (street aligned) my last 2 Z07's, the tires will last longer because the camber is not as extreme, for me this is fine because I only use my cars on the street, because I'm old.
Does a Z07 come with "track alignment" from the factory? Anyone know if the ZR1 will?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:42 PM
pfg1
CF Member

Default Alignment

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver View Post
Does a Z07 come with "track alignment" from the factory? Anyone know if the ZR1 will?
Z07 will come with street alignment
Old 01-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,727 Times in 723 Posts

Most tire wear is from having the toe off, not from the extra camber of a track alignment. Make sure your shop has a calibrate machine and gets the toe correct.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Glennm27
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

You're not old..
Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Bob U
CF Senior Member

I agree, toe alignment has more to do with tire wear.
Also, at 80mph I don't think it will be generating that much downforce to make a difference.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:08 PM
TXshaggy
CF Senior Member

Sounds like more Cup2 BS. Have a 2016 Z07 with full stage 3 aero and 7000 miles on original tires including 1500 mile drive home after pickup. Just passed state inspection and on factory alignment. No handling issues, tracks straight, and expect to get about 10K street miles out of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXshaggy For This Useful Post:
D'ZR1 Messiah (03-01-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06/ZR1 Splitter Endcaps/Winglets Tread Wear Question

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: