C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tried to buy a ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:01 PM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Wow - tough crowd with some here. First off, sorry your dreams were crushed - I know that sucks. 701 is a good score but as many have said it doesn't only depend on credit score, there has to be enough income to cover payments. Banks look at some times being financed and decide what is the probability that if in financial problem will the consumer stop paying on and then require more money down. What you may want to try is having the dealership reach out to the lender if you have a decent amount of liquid cash on hand. I once ran into this, showed the lender bank statements and reduced the down payment by half. Or, as others have mentioned there are credit unions or speak to other dealers that may have more insight. Don't call it quits yet
Dan
Good idea, thank you and will do. My income is more than enough to handle a $2000.00/month car payment. But right now, there's only about $25k in my personal 'fun' money account for the down payment. That's the money I set aside for the fun and ridiculous things that I enjoy, like purchasing a $145K car...LOL! It comes down to this, if the lenders want $50K down to purchase this vehicle, I will have no problem this time next year having that amount set aside. Then, it's a done deal. So I got to save up and wait a year, big deal. It's a goal for me and I'll get there. I've climbed much bigger mountains before.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:03 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
The dealer was Kerbeck. I do like their sales people very much, and I know they have no control over the lenders they work with. I worked with this particular salesperson before and I know he did really want to sell me the car. Like many have said on the forum, there's other lenders out there.
oh ok so then if it was just their lenders shop around on your own.

i like kerbeck alot too i got both my c7s from them real nice, professional people.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Nesch18
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by danm1
I have a call in to another lender. I'll know more next week.
Whats your annual income of I may ask. I am in a similar situation with 50k down and an annual income of 110k.

I did not tell my dealer how I pay for my car. But I am concerned a little bit that I may not get approved. My debt to income ratio is 9%. No loans, just rent. Credit score is 815
Old 02-03-2018, 06:05 PM
tones_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Credit unions usually have the best loan rates.
Good luck OP!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 1983JZR3W
My credit score is 815 out of 850 and I would not even consider financing a car as expensive as a ZR1. If you can't write the full check, you may be trying to play in the wrong league.
That is a silly statement.

My money works much harder elsewhere than paying auto loan interest rates.

It's akin to saying, 'you shouldn't buy anything unless you can (or are willing to) pay cash.'

I financed my 2018 Z06 Z07 3LZ with zero down (I did get a decent discount off MSRP). It would be silly to pull money out of accounts earning multiple times what my auto loan interest is, provided cash flow is sufficient.

In the business world, you wouldn't be able to leave home base with that mentality.

Last edited by Newton06; 02-03-2018 at 07:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Newton06:
jloZ06 (02-11-2018), Rayrider7 (02-24-2018), Supersonic_ZR1 (03-02-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 07:15 PM
1983JZR3W
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion

What an idiot then Chevy might sell about 50 ZR1’s.Lets See all the cars you paid 100 percent cash for?????
Over the last 25 years, I have paid cash for all cars or trucks I have purchased. That amounts to 15. I am 71 and bought my first new car at 17. I had to finance my cars until I was about 45. From then on it is either cash or keep my current car.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Congrats to all that can pay cash! However, for the major majority of the population....we finance! Tell me where would this or any economy be if we all had to buy by cash only? If I had to pay by cash only I would be living in a tent with my bicycle parked outside! lol
The following 3 users liked this post by Supersonic 427:
NotreOkc (02-05-2018), sweedjeff (02-03-2018), tdf01cycling (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:02 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Before anyone buys a ZR1, critical to first find out what their insurance cost would be — as State Farm and several others are now requiring “individual policyholder qualification reviews” (my term) for the ZR1 — as they are also doing on more than a few other HP cars).

Last edited by elegant; 02-03-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:21 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Before anyone buys a ZR1, critical to first find out what their insurance cost would be — as State Farm and several others are now requiring “individual policyholder qualification reviews” (my term) for the ZR1 — as they are also doing on more than a few other HP cars).
I would assume that when you go to insure any higher priced, performance car, that they would review you before you got a policy ?

what do they look at ? driving history and age ?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:44 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Many factors play into any car financing. Debt to income ratio, finance term, credit scores, money down, etc. I was a finance manager at a dealership, and am now the manager.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Paying cash for a depreciating asset is one thing. Having cash set aside in a reasonable-risk investment, earning an after-tax return
greater than the financing cost of the loan used to buy the asset, is quite different. The concept being that one would sell the investment
to pay-off the loan (or a portion of it) if necessary to keep the asset...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 02-03-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: sp & format
Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

I only put down $10k when I bought my 2LT Z51 last year. Since all they did was a credit check with no income verification they looked at me like I was insane when I told them I wanted a 36 month term. The finance manager had come back with 72 month loans. They really tried to talk me out of it.

I told then my credit union would give me 2.9%. If they could beat it or match it they could have the business.

I'm considering getting a ZR1 late next year. Guess we will see how huge a down payment they want.

Last edited by DPC57; 02-03-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 PM
sweedjeff
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
Congrats to all that can pay cash! However, for the major majority of the population....we finance! Tell me where would this or any economy be if we all had to buy by cash only? If I had to pay by cash only I would be living in a tent with my bicycle parked outside! lol
Right, I bought my car(see avatar) 4 years ago in cash, but it was $6000 lol. We financed our a4 because we, like 95% of everyone else can't pay cash for a $30k car. Everyone here buys 2-3x that amount like nothing. If you are worried about insurance cost for a ZR1,you definitely can't afford it. If your making less than 500k, move on.

Seriously, this car is amazing, but why do people stretch their money trying to think they can afford it. Probably can't even afford a base c7. Buy a c6 and throw a bunch of money into it if you want to go super fast. If you only have 25k in fun money, that's how much car you probably can afford.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:25 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

John, what all does that involve TIA!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 AM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

I've never heard of this. I have State Farm and a couple cars with them that have a value more than the new ZR1 and they never done any review or anything. In fact I just email them the vin, tell them if it's going to be a part time vehicle or daily, they tell me the price, I shoot them my bank info, and that's it. Never once has my agent ever asked for anything else.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:32 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
I've never heard of this. I have State Farm and a couple cars with them that have a value more than the new ZR1 and they never done any review or anything. In fact I just email them the vin, tell them if it's going to be a part time vehicle or daily, they tell me the price, I shoot them my bank info, and that's it. Never once has my agent ever asked for anything else.
They do that on every policy they write to determine what discounts and rates or exclusion's . Some cars carry higher rates!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
I wish someone had statistics on cash vs. financed new car purchases in the US. I'm sure the percentage of cash buyers is VERY low.
From what I've read:

Roughly 10% - 15% of Car Buyers pay cash.
Roughly 30% Lease
The remaining 55% - 60% Get Car Loans.

That data is a couple of years old - so leasing percentages may be even higher by now.

I'm not going to suggest that anyone is "right" or "wrong" or some level of "morally superior" for buying a car with cash vs. getting a car loan or leasing. I think most everyone would agree when people are first starting out - they need a car that is reliable, and that will get them to work every day - and for the majority of people, that means they will need to take out a car loan. However - I would suggest that by the time someone hits their 40's (roughly halfway through their working career) - they should be ABLE to pay for their next car with cash! They may choose to not do so for any number of reasons - but if you can not afford to pay cash for your next car by the time you're in your 40's - you may just want look at less expensive cars - and/or spend a little bit of time thinking about a number of other financial matters - like how you are going to handle retirement (remember the 4% rule) and what would you do if you needed to come up with $10K for home repairs... They say only 40% of the households could come up with the cash to pay for an unexpected $1,000 expense - and that is Absolutely, Utterly Frightening !!! I kind of doubt that is the case with the majority of people on this forum - but by the time you're thinking about buying something like a ZR1 (which we all know is a very neat - very cool, and very expensive toy) - you should probably make absolutely sure that you have most all of your other financial ducks nicely lined up.....

Get notified of new replies

To Tried to buy a ZR1

Old 02-04-2018, 01:50 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,025 Posts

couple of points to know...

If you credit score is stellar, dealerships enter your info in the lenders computer system and there is such a thing called "auto approval" The computer decisions the loan and you can walk out without showing any docs other than your drivers license and proof of insurance. This is true up to the magic number of $100k. Once you are over $100k for a car loan...the process isn't that simple. The banks will want proof of income and know that the borrower is rock solid financially.

The dealership is also concerned as any defaults can leave a black mark with the relationship they have with the banks that do the financing.

Kerbeck has offered one of the lowest finance rates available to Corvette buyers...This is in part due to the historically low default rate of their customers with the bank(s) that offer this rate.

Kerbeck doesn't want to put someone into a $145,000 car that is taking their life savings just to make a relatively small deposit. It's a disservice to the borrower and a higher risk to their lenders. They also don't want to saddle their buyer with a high interest lending source that is willing to take the risk.

Sure, there is a lender out there that will most likely do the loan with little money down at a substantially higher interest rate, but does that make sense for the buyer?
The following users liked this post:
zhopper05 (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ApexFlex
The entire benefit of enough income and well built credit is to enjoy the freedoms of not having to put a down payment on a depreciating accet or any potential accet. Every car bought without down payment, the bank incurs a collateral value loss at a percentage relative to the value and immediate depreciation...

without going on, find a more motivated dealer/bank network.

Thats a bummer
I agree with your thoughts to an extent, however, we aren't talking about financing a Honda Civic. $145,000 is a substantial amount of money for 95% of the general public. Most people buying a car are not Bill Gates or Warren Buffet but rather make an average salary. Banks get more cautious once the loan amount goes over $100k.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbartick
You had me until "accet".

I caught that as well, but I'm not the grammar police and got the gist of what he was attempting to say.

Quick Reply: Tried to buy a ZR1