C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison

I thought I'd drop a thread in here that discusses some of the less obvious parts sharing between the two performance machines.

The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection, so differences in firmware will likely make a port injection retrofit package very difficult since the new ECM's firmware will likely not communicate easily with the previous Z06 E92 ECM.

The M7 and A8 transmissions are shared, but I'm sure the ZR1 will have the latest and greatest programming to not only account for the power, but also improved shifting.

The LT5 and LT4 use the same low side tank pumps so anyone wanting to run ethanol or big power will still need to address this

The LT5 and LT4 use the same high pressure fuel pump and injectors

The LT5 and LT4 use the same cylinder heads

The LT5 and LT4 use the same pistons

The LT5 has an AFM-less valley plate

The LT5 has different crank and connecting rods, likely for the added power

The LT5 has a different camshaft

The ZR1's front wheels are .5" wider; however, only 7mm of the 12.5mm sits to the outside, so I do think the car is slightly wider up front, but how much I am still unsure. I'm hoping for 1".

The ZR1 uses a triple heat exchanger system as well as shares the center heat exchanger with the Z06, but that PN changed for 2019 as well.

The ZR1 uses TWO heat exchanger pumps for the separate coolant brick loops like we do on our ATS V kits

The ZR1 has a 95mm throttle body vs the Z06 87mm

The ZR1 has a different pressure active exhaust; however, I'm not sure if this is accounted for in the bypass valves with the operation, or it's an entirely different exhaust

Last edited by Ben@WeaponX; 02-06-2018 at 03:31 PM.
The following 15 users liked this post by Ben@WeaponX:
CliffB-99 (02-04-2018), Corvette_Nut (02-21-2018), dmaxx3500 (02-07-2018), elegant (02-04-2018), FYREANT (02-04-2018), IM4A2Z (07-23-2018), LSs1Power (02-07-2018), Mad Dog 24 (04-15-2018), Poor-sha (02-04-2018), RJ Joshi (12-08-2021), rob62 (02-04-2018), SpeedyD (02-04-2018), tail_lights (02-11-2018), triegsecker (04-12-2018), ya3coub (07-01-2018) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

"The ZR1 uses TWO heat exchanger pumps for the separate coolant brick loops like we do on our ATS V kits"

It'll be interesting to see if they've done anything to address the sensitivity to air in the system and cavitation of the pumps.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:21 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
I thought I'd drop a thread in here that discusses some of the less obvious parts sharing between the two performance machines.

The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection, so differences in firmware will likely make a port injection retrofit package very difficult since the new ECM's firmware will likely not communicate easily with the previous Z06 E92 ECM.

The M7 and A8 transmissions are shared, but I'm sure the ZR1 will have the latest and greatest programming to not only account for the power, but also improved shifting.

The LT5 and LT4 use the same low side tank pumps so anyone wanting to run ethanol or big power will still need to address this

The ZR1's front wheels are .5" wider; however, only 5mm of that is to the outside, so I do think the car is slightly wider up front, but how much I am still unsure. I'm hoping for 1".

The ZR1 uses a triple heat exchanger system as well as shares the center heat exchanger with the Z06, but that PN changed for 2019 as well.

The ZR1 uses TWO heat exchanger pumps for the separate coolant brick loops like we do on our ATS V kits

The ZR1 has a different pressure active exhaust; however, I'm not sure if this is accounted for in the bypass valves with the operation, or it's an entirely different exhaust
Thanks Ben Good stuff!
I had heard the crank is the same except for the larger key way to hold the crank pulley.
The following users liked this post:
RJ Joshi (12-08-2021)
Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

The ZR1's front wheels are .5" wider; however, only 5mm of that is to the outside, so I do think the car is slightly wider up front, but how much I am still unsure. I'm hoping for 1".

Great info. Thanks
Old 02-04-2018, 03:31 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Ben, where does this info come from? Reason I ask is we have been trying to confirm for a while if the low side pumps were different or not and no published info has confirmed it. I would think the low side pump would have had to been upgraded to account for the extra fuel needed for the PFI. If it is the same, how are they providing the supplemental fuel for PFI then? A second intank pump?

Ant
irun4cops (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:37 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Ben, where does this info come from? Reason I ask is we have been trying to confirm for a while if the low side pumps were different or not and no published info has confirmed it. I would think the low side pump would have had to been upgraded to account for the extra fuel needed for the PFI. If it is the same, how are they providing the supplemental fuel for PFI then? A second intank pump?

Ant
Old 02-04-2018, 04:55 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I read in one of the original press releases that the clutch is upgraded from the Z06 as well. Not sure if that’s been confirmed however.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Great start to the list...I would think that the whole air intake track would be different including MAF and air filter as well.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Great start to the list...I would think that the whole air intake track would be different including MAF and air filter as well.
Yeah, with the lager TB and higher air flow demand, I agree.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Ant
The C7 & Z06 has the same in tank low side pump & GM use a fuel pump module to control the amount of fuel the pump puts out so I would say the pump & module for the ZR1 are from the C7 just been programed for more fuel on demand
Old 02-18-2018, 12:55 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sammy burks
The C7 & Z06 has the same in tank low side pump & GM use a fuel pump module to control the amount of fuel the pump puts out so I would say the pump & module for the ZR1 are from the C7 just been programed for more fuel on demand
Thanks, Sammy. good to know. Where did you find that out? Part number comparison?
Old 02-18-2018, 01:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
I read in one of the original press releases that the clutch is upgraded from the Z06 as well. Not sure if that’s been confirmed however.
Didn't see anything about the clutch?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection,....
Does that mean no more limp mode when it gets hot?
Old 02-18-2018, 05:17 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by sammy burks
This is true for 2019s, but false for previous years. New pump for platform on 19s. Single line feeds to the engine like before, Tees off to the same HPFP and continues on under the 2650 to the back side of the fuel rail.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by mikelj
Does that mean no more limp mode when it gets hot?
port injection will help to cool the valves indeed but the added cooling should resolve track issues.

Here the monster E99 PCM!

mikelj (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

For those hoping the 95mm ZR1 TB will fit the LT1 or LT4, it will not. The bolt pattern is different and the blade will not open on the stock inlet.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

This is true for 2019s, but false for previous years. New pump for platform on 19s. Single line feeds to the engine like before, Tees off to the same HPFP and continues on under the 2650 to the back side of the fuel rail.
Does that mean that the pump assembly for the 19’s will be an upgrade at all for the 18’s and lower?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison

Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Ant
From the same source that gets me all of my info I don’t say anything for certain unless it’s been confirmed. That’s how I have the TB in my hands before it’s released now.

I’m wondering the cam now as I’m curious to see if they bumped the lift on the Fuel lobe a little for the HPFP or if it wasn’t worth the R&D since doing port anyway. 750bhp can practically be supplied by the 18 Z06 pump so it didn’t need much more. LT5 injectors are a new PN but likely smaller than even LS3 injectors. I have one on the way now to flow test.

I said the Z06 was 650hp before it was out and if you go back I said the ZR1 would be 750hp before it was announced . Imagine the C8 leaks LOL
3 Z06ZR1 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:05 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

From the same source that gets me all of my info I don’t say anything for certain unless it’s been confirmed. That’s how I have the TB in my hands before it’s released now.

I’m wondering the cam now as I’m curious to see if they bumped the lift on the Fuel lobe a little for the HPFP or if it wasn’t worth the R&D since doing port anyway. 750bhp can practically be supplied by the 18 Z06 pump so it didn’t need much more. LT5 injectors are a new PN but likely smaller than even LS3 injectors. I have one on the way now to flow test.

I said the Z06 was 650hp before it was out and if you go back I said the ZR1 would be 750hp before it was announced . Imagine the C8 leaks LOL
Ben, thank you for the info. In no way am I doubting you, was just curious. It was previously reported that the same injectors were gonna be used as the LT4 so if they are higher flow than that is great news as long as we can retrofit.

I was sooo hoping the LPFP was going to be upgraded. Sad to hear its not. Another 15-25% flow from it would be huge.

Guess I will have a low side system in my future at some point. Lol

Ant
Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 PM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Luckily some of us aren’t scared by dem new electronics.

100% can not write an E99 file into an E92 or E92A, but the communications will just need an interpreter.

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison