C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 AM
  #1  
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
Ben@WeaponX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Cin City
Posts: 3,780
Thanked 219 Times in 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison

I thought I'd drop a thread in here that discusses some of the less obvious parts sharing between the two performance machines.

The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection, so differences in firmware will likely make a port injection retrofit package very difficult since the new ECM's firmware will likely not communicate easily with the previous Z06 E92 ECM.

The M7 and A8 transmissions are shared, but I'm sure the ZR1 will have the latest and greatest programming to not only account for the power, but also improved shifting.

The LT5 and LT4 use the same low side tank pumps so anyone wanting to run ethanol or big power will still need to address this

The LT5 and LT4 use the same high pressure fuel pump and injectors

The LT5 and LT4 use the same cylinder heads

The LT5 and LT4 use the same pistons

The LT5 has an AFM-less valley plate

The LT5 has different crank and connecting rods, likely for the added power

The LT5 has a different camshaft

The ZR1's front wheels are .5" wider; however, only 7mm of the 12.5mm sits to the outside, so I do think the car is slightly wider up front, but how much I am still unsure. I'm hoping for 1".

The ZR1 uses a triple heat exchanger system as well as shares the center heat exchanger with the Z06, but that PN changed for 2019 as well.

The ZR1 uses TWO heat exchanger pumps for the separate coolant brick loops like we do on our ATS V kits

The ZR1 has a 95mm throttle body vs the Z06 87mm

The ZR1 has a different pressure active exhaust; however, I'm not sure if this is accounted for in the bypass valves with the operation, or it's an entirely different exhaust
__________________
YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR CORVETTE WHEELS & CARBON!
WXM Forged, Forgeline, PUR, ADV1, HRE, 360Forged, ANRKY
[email protected]

www.weaponXmotorsports.com




2019 ZR1 - 9.97 @ 137 MPH (FIRST IN THE 9s!)
2020 C8 order #6
2017 Camaro ZL1 A10 - Compound Boost 1300 HP/TQ
2016 Cadillac ATS V - 10.8 @ 126 (FIRST IN THE 10s!)
2015 Range Rover Sport SC 550 HP - Wifey Mobile

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-06-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Ben@WeaponX is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
CliffB-99 (02-04-2018), Corvette_Nut (02-21-2018), dmaxx3500 (02-07-2018), elegant (02-04-2018), FYREANT (02-04-2018), LSs1Power (02-07-2018), Mad Dog 24 (04-15-2018), Poor-sha (02-04-2018), rob62 (02-04-2018), SpeedyD (02-04-2018), tail_lights (02-11-2018), triegsecker (04-12-2018), ya3coub (07-01-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM
  #2  
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,756
Thanked 1,555 Times in 674 Posts
Default

"The ZR1 uses TWO heat exchanger pumps for the separate coolant brick loops like we do on our ATS V kits"

It'll be interesting to see if they've done anything to address the sensitivity to air in the system and cavitation of the pumps.
Poor-sha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:21 PM
  #3  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3 Z06ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 18,931
Thanked 653 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I thought I'd drop a thread in here that discusses some of the less obvious parts sharing between the two performance machines.

The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection, so differences in firmware will likely make a port injection retrofit package very difficult since the new ECM's firmware will likely not communicate easily with the previous Z06 E92 ECM.

The M7 and A8 transmissions are shared, but I'm sure the ZR1 will have the latest and greatest programming to not only account for the power, but also improved shifting.

The LT5 and LT4 use the same low side tank pumps so anyone wanting to run ethanol or big power will still need to address this

The LT5 and LT4 use the same high pressure fuel pump and injectors

The LT5 and LT4 use the same cylinder heads

The LT5 and LT4 use the same pistons

The LT5 has an AFM-less valley plate

The LT5 has different crank and connecting rods, likely for the added power

The LT5 has a different camshaft

The ZR1's front wheels are .5" wider; however, only 5mm of that is to the outside, so I do think the car is slightly wider up front, but how much I am still unsure. I'm hoping for 1".

The ZR1 uses a triple heat exchanger system as well as shares the center heat exchanger with the Z06, but that PN changed for 2019 as well.

The ZR1 uses TWO heat exchanger pumps for the separate coolant brick loops like we do on our ATS V kits

The ZR1 has a 95mm throttle body vs the Z06 87mm

The ZR1 has a different pressure active exhaust; however, I'm not sure if this is accounted for in the bypass valves with the operation, or it's an entirely different exhaust
Thanks Ben Good stuff!
I had heard the crank is the same except for the larger key way to hold the crank pulley.
3 Z06ZR1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 PM
  #4  
Bob U
CF Senior Member
 
Bob U's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 695
Thanked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I thought I'd drop a thread in here that discusses some of the less obvious parts sharing between the two performance machines.

The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection, so differences in firmware will likely make a port injection retrofit package very difficult since the new ECM's firmware will likely not communicate easily with the previous Z06 E92 ECM.

The M7 and A8 transmissions are shared, but I'm sure the ZR1 will have the latest and greatest programming to not only account for the power, but also improved shifting.

The LT5 and LT4 use the same low side tank pumps so anyone wanting to run ethanol or big power will still need to address this

The LT5 and LT4 use the same high pressure fuel pump and injectors

The LT5 and LT4 use the same cylinder heads

The LT5 and LT4 use the same pistons

The LT5 has an AFM-less valley plate

The LT5 has different crank and connecting rods, likely for the added power

The LT5 has a different camshaft

The ZR1's front wheels are .5" wider; however, only 5mm of that is to the outside, so I do think the car is slightly wider up front, but how much I am still unsure. I'm hoping for 1".

The ZR1 uses a triple heat exchanger system as well as shares the center heat exchanger with the Z06, but that PN changed for 2019 as well.

The ZR1 uses TWO heat exchanger pumps for the separate coolant brick loops like we do on our ATS V kits

The ZR1 has a 95mm throttle body vs the Z06 87mm

The ZR1 has a different pressure active exhaust; however, I'm not sure if this is accounted for in the bypass valves with the operation, or it's an entirely different exhaust
Great info. Thanks
Bob U is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:31 PM
  #5  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,230
Thanked 621 Times in 410 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Ben, where does this info come from? Reason I ask is we have been trying to confirm for a while if the low side pumps were different or not and no published info has confirmed it. I would think the low side pump would have had to been upgraded to account for the extra fuel needed for the PFI. If it is the same, how are they providing the supplemental fuel for PFI then? A second intank pump?

Ant
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FYREANT For This Useful Post:
irun4cops (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:37 PM
  #6  
irun4cops
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter FL
Posts: 2,112
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
Ben, where does this info come from? Reason I ask is we have been trying to confirm for a while if the low side pumps were different or not and no published info has confirmed it. I would think the low side pump would have had to been upgraded to account for the extra fuel needed for the PFI. If it is the same, how are they providing the supplemental fuel for PFI then? A second intank pump?

Ant
irun4cops is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:55 PM
  #7  
BillY2KFRC
CF Senior Member
 
BillY2KFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Beacon Falls CT
Posts: 5,943
Thanked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I read in one of the original press releases that the clutch is upgraded from the Z06 as well. Not sure if that’s been confirmed however.
BillY2KFRC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 PM
  #8  
JMB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 1,540
Thanked 66 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Great start to the list...I would think that the whole air intake track would be different including MAF and air filter as well.
JMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:08 AM
  #9  
Bob U
CF Senior Member
 
Bob U's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 695
Thanked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Great start to the list...I would think that the whole air intake track would be different including MAF and air filter as well.
Yeah, with the lager TB and higher air flow demand, I agree.
Bob U is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 PM
  #10  
sammy burks
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 2,785
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
Ben, where does this info come from? Reason I ask is we have been trying to confirm for a while if the low side pumps were different or not and no published info has confirmed it. I would think the low side pump would have had to been upgraded to account for the extra fuel needed for the PFI. If it is the same, how are they providing the supplemental fuel for PFI then? A second intank pump?

Ant
The C7 & Z06 has the same in tank low side pump & GM use a fuel pump module to control the amount of fuel the pump puts out so I would say the pump & module for the ZR1 are from the C7 just been programed for more fuel on demand
sammy burks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:55 PM
  #11  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,230
Thanked 621 Times in 410 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by sammy burks View Post
The C7 & Z06 has the same in tank low side pump & GM use a fuel pump module to control the amount of fuel the pump puts out so I would say the pump & module for the ZR1 are from the C7 just been programed for more fuel on demand
Thanks, Sammy. good to know. Where did you find that out? Part number comparison?
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:50 PM
  #12  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3 Z06ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 18,931
Thanked 653 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post
I read in one of the original press releases that the clutch is upgraded from the Z06 as well. Not sure if thatís been confirmed however.
Didn't see anything about the clutch?
3 Z06ZR1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 PM
  #13  
mikelj
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
mikelj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: High Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 1,619
Thanked 172 Times in 129 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I thought I'd drop a thread in here that discusses some of the less obvious parts sharing between the two performance machines.

The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection,....
Does that mean no more limp mode when it gets hot?
mikelj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:17 PM
  #14  
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
Ben@WeaponX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Cin City
Posts: 3,780
Thanked 219 Times in 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by sammy burks View Post
The C7 & Z06 has the same in tank low side pump & GM use a fuel pump module to control the amount of fuel the pump puts out so I would say the pump & module for the ZR1 are from the C7 just been programed for more fuel on demand
This is true for 2019s, but false for previous years. New pump for platform on 19s. Single line feeds to the engine like before, Tees off to the same HPFP and continues on under the 2650 to the back side of the fuel rail.
Ben@WeaponX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:33 PM
  #15  
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
Ben@WeaponX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Cin City
Posts: 3,780
Thanked 219 Times in 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by mikelj View Post
Does that mean no more limp mode when it gets hot?
port injection will help to cool the valves indeed but the added cooling should resolve track issues.

Here the monster E99 PCM!

Ben@WeaponX is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
mikelj (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 PM
  #16  
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
Ben@WeaponX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Cin City
Posts: 3,780
Thanked 219 Times in 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The ZR1 has a 95mm throttle body vs the Z06 87mm
For those hoping the 95mm ZR1 TB will fit the LT1 or LT4, it will not. The bolt pattern is different and the blade will not open on the stock inlet.
Ben@WeaponX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 PM
  #17  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,230
Thanked 621 Times in 410 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


This is true for 2019s, but false for previous years. New pump for platform on 19s. Single line feeds to the engine like before, Tees off to the same HPFP and continues on under the 2650 to the back side of the fuel rail.
Does that mean that the pump assembly for the 19ís will be an upgrade at all for the 18ís and lower?
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 PM
  #18  
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
Ben@WeaponX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Cin City
Posts: 3,780
Thanked 219 Times in 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
Ben, where does this info come from? Reason I ask is we have been trying to confirm for a while if the low side pumps were different or not and no published info has confirmed it. I would think the low side pump would have had to been upgraded to account for the extra fuel needed for the PFI. If it is the same, how are they providing the supplemental fuel for PFI then? A second intank pump?

Ant
From the same source that gets me all of my info I donít say anything for certain unless itís been confirmed. Thatís how I have the TB in my hands before itís released now.



Iím wondering the cam now as Iím curious to see if they bumped the lift on the Fuel lobe a little for the HPFP or if it wasnít worth the R&D since doing port anyway. 750bhp can practically be supplied by the 18 Z06 pump so it didnít need much more. LT5 injectors are a new PN but likely smaller than even LS3 injectors. I have one on the way now to flow test.

I said the Z06 was 650hp before it was out and if you go back I said the ZR1 would be 750hp before it was announced . Imagine the C8 leaks LOL
Ben@WeaponX is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
3 Z06ZR1 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:05 PM
  #19  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,230
Thanked 621 Times in 410 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


From the same source that gets me all of my info I donít say anything for certain unless itís been confirmed. Thatís how I have the TB in my hands before itís released now.



Iím wondering the cam now as Iím curious to see if they bumped the lift on the Fuel lobe a little for the HPFP or if it wasnít worth the R&D since doing port anyway. 750bhp can practically be supplied by the 18 Z06 pump so it didnít need much more. LT5 injectors are a new PN but likely smaller than even LS3 injectors. I have one on the way now to flow test.

I said the Z06 was 650hp before it was out and if you go back I said the ZR1 would be 750hp before it was announced . Imagine the C8 leaks LOL
Ben, thank you for the info. In no way am I doubting you, was just curious. It was previously reported that the same injectors were gonna be used as the LT4 so if they are higher flow than that is great news as long as we can retrofit.

I was sooo hoping the LPFP was going to be upgraded. Sad to hear its not. Another 15-25% flow from it would be huge.

Guess I will have a low side system in my future at some point. Lol

Ant
FYREANT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 PM
  #20  
DSX Tuning
Supporting Vendor
 
DSX Tuning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Posts: 211
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The ZR1 E99 ECM is new, which communicates with the new Fuel Pump Injector Control Module for the port injection, so differences in firmware will likely make a port injection retrofit package very difficult since the new ECM's firmware will likely not communicate easily with the previous Z06 E92 ECM.
Luckily some of us arenít scared by dem new electronics.

100% can not write an E99 file into an E92 or E92A, but the communications will just need an interpreter.
__________________
Austin, TX
314-322-3283 --- [email protected]
Flex Fuel - Fuel Pumps - Harnesses - Tuning - R&D
DSX Tuning is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 vs. Z06 Parts Comparison


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: