C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

GM Cancelled....Factory ZR1 Build Books

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Easy Money
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GM Cancelled....Factory ZR1 Build Books

Tried to order a Photo Book of my ZR-1 build today from the Museum, No ZR-1 photo's this year. Was told that not until 2019 will anyone be able to get one made. no one apparently with a camera is allowed.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:41 PM
samgauto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

That is correct. I wanted the same. Please see link here for updates.
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit/...s/photo-album/

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-06-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I'm a little perplexed by all this BG secrecy from GM at this point in time.
What on Earth could they doing that isn't already known?
The following users liked this post:
Corvette ED (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 PM
D'ZR1 Messiah
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 157 Posts

I wonder if there will be something for folks who purchased ZR1s..I don't know something a little extra. Something like build certificates or something to that effect.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Maybe midengines are being built in the general area.
stevestig (03-08-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 PM
samgauto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I was thinking due to upcoming mid engine as well. Yes, would be nice to receive the car with some kind of build photo, especially for those of us that are special ordering cars that are not for dealer inventory. I have been in touch with Shane at the museum regarding ordering a ZR-1 build plaque. On the museum website order page, it does not let you pick ZR-1 (just stingray, Z06 and grand sport). Shane did say that GM recently gave approval for a ZR-1 plaque and that the site should have this option soon for those that want the plaque after the build and did not select that option during the workbench order. (I figured I would have the plant ship the car with the stock ZR-1 badge on the interior and would keep the special order one separately). Here is the link
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit/...nalized-plate/
Easy Money (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:05 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

For my 2012 ZR1, I was there for the entire build, saw my Wixom built engine go in, and VIN stamps, and I was first to start it off the line. I asked for the same for my 2019 order, was told hell no, it will not happen like that again, way too secret stuff around now. Sad.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:50 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by spearfish25
True, but that is the worst kept secret in the industry right now.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:28 AM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by samgauto
I was thinking due to upcoming mid engine as well. Yes, would be nice to receive the car with some kind of build photo, especially for those of us that are special ordering cars that are not for dealer inventory. I have been in touch with Shane at the museum regarding ordering a ZR-1 build plaque. On the museum website order page, it does not let you pick ZR-1 (just stingray, Z06 and grand sport). Shane did say that GM recently gave approval for a ZR-1 plaque and that the site should have this option soon for those that want the plaque after the build and did not select that option during the workbench order. (I figured I would have the plant ship the car with the stock ZR-1 badge on the interior and would keep the special order one separately). Here is the link
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit/...nalized-plate/
i ordered the plate with my name and vin for $200. confirmed with Shane. is this what you are referring to?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 AM
samgauto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by goshendad
i ordered the plate with my name and vin for $200. confirmed with Shane. is this what you are referring to?
Yes, I did not order with the build but am ordering via the web link but no drop down selection for ZR-1 yet.
goshendad (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by sunsalem
True, but that is the worst kept secret in the industry right now.
Yes and no, no one really knows what all the ME will be, so the secrecy.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:09 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I'm a little perplexed by all this BG secrecy from GM at this point in time.
There are still many ME test vehicles to be built — and none have any camo (not even a single layer of zebra-vinyl) on them as they are being built. Additionally the engine build center is being expanded, and GM does not want us to see any crates around with numbers and letters on their side, let alone a full motor.

When I was invited in to the Plant the year before the C6 Z06 was built, I signed a secrecy agreement. As I came around the corner, here was two Z06’s front fascia’s in plain sight, and when I came around the next corner there were two wooden crates with 7.0L stenciled in the bottom right corner of each. This was at a time when this forum had almost universally concluded that the Z06 was getting 6.4L liter motor.

The above is why GM will not allow any outsiders within the Plant for at least this calendar year and I believe at least through the reveal on Jan. 12, 2019. Hence no Buyers Tours, no Engine Builds after the end of this month (or next), no Photo Albums, etc.

Last edited by elegant; 03-07-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:12 AM
goshendad
Racer

Originally Posted by elegant
There are still many ME test vehicles to be built — and none have any camo (not even a single layer of zebra-vinyl) on them as they are being built. Additionally the engine build center is being expanded, and GM does not want us to see any crates around with numbers and letters on their side, let alone a full motor.

When I was invited in to the Plant the year before the C6 Z06 was built, I signed a secrecy agreement. As I came around the corner, here was two Z06’s front fascia’s in plain sight, and when I came around the next corner there were two wooden crates with 7.0L stenciled in the bottom right corner of each. This was at a time when this forum had almost universally concluded that the Z06 was getting 6+ liter motor.

Hence, why GM will not allow any outsiders within the Plant for at least this calendar year and I believe at least through the reveal on Jan. 12, 2019.

Hence no Buyers Tours, no Engine Builds after the end of this month (or next), no Photo Albums, etc.
i will get a pair of those glasses with a camera for my engine build on April 5th!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:53 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

It is true not ALL is known about the ME...most particularly the powerplants that will be used.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Sorry goshendad, but as of a little while ago, the engine build center’s windows are now completely covered over (and covered on the other side of the glass where you will be building your motor — so you can not take the material off/pull it back like a curtain).

And unlike typical times, this year you will enter the PBC center from inside the admin building rather than walking through the Plant to get to it, and of course exit down that same hallway to the outside when your day is over.

Unless you get true Superman see-through-walls glasses, you (and therefore us) are going to be SOL.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 PM
goshendad
Racer

Sorry goshendad, but as of a little while ago, the engine build center’s windows are now completely covered over (and covered on the other side of the glass where you will be building your motor — so you can not take the material off/pull it back like a curtain).

And unlike typical times, this year you will enter the PBC center from inside the admin building rather than walking through the Plant to get to it, and of course exit down that same hallway to the outside when your day is over.

Unless you get true Superman see-through-walls glasses, you (and therefore us) are going to be SOL.
haha. it's all good. Not interested in seeing any C8 stuff when I am spending $150,000 on my C7 Zr1.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 AM
elegant
Safety Car

You will love your ZR1 (and we are all excited for you)!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Cancelled....Factory ZR1 Build Books

Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 AM
goshendad
Racer

You will love your ZR1 (and we are all excited for you)!
Thanks!!
Old 03-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Easy Money
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just don't see where it is all that complicated to take some non-revealing photographs. I mean Disney does it all the time at the Parks. Having camera's installed at various strategic locations along the build allowing an automatic array of build photos based on the Bar-Code of the Car.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

It's probably a lot easier and cheaper for GM to just say "no" rather than having some North Korean style state censor comb through all the build photos before releasing the books to the owners.

Quick Reply: GM Cancelled....Factory ZR1 Build Books