C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Larger injectors for ZR1 - question

Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Larger injectors for ZR1 - question

I'm looking at a C6 ZR1 and interested in purchasing it. I spoke with the owner and he told me the car is completely stock except for some ID850 injectors. His plan was to mod the car in the future and he wanted it ready for more fuel which is why he got the larger injectors installed but then his plans changed and he never ended up modding the car.

I know nothing about the fuel system and I've never had larger injectors. My question is: is there any negative effect on a stock car having larger injectors? I read online that the fuel economy and performance can actually decrease due to larger injectors if nothing else is modded and the engine could be running rich. Should this be a concern of mine?

I guess I just would like to know if you guys would be concerned buying a car with larger injectors if you had no plans anytime soon of modding the car. Anything I should watch out for? Should I buy the car and just put stock injectors back in place?

I only have 91 octane fuel in Nevada, would I be okay running 91 with larger injectors?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

It depends on whether or not the ECM has been retuned. The ECM knows how big the stock injectors are. So it's calibrated to open them for a certain period to release a certain amount of fuel. If the injectors are bigger, then more fuel comes out when they're opened for the same amount of time. There's some limited self adjustment available in the form of fuel trims, but that's probably not enough to compensate for an upsized injector. Even if it was, it's still not a good thing to have the fuel trims maxed out, leaving the ECM with no more room to adjust.

If the ECM has been retuned for them, it's probably fine. But if not, and the car has been running super rich for a long time, there could be other problems. I'll let someone who's more knowledgeable on LS engines speak to that. In my experience with other engines, it's not a good thing to do over a long period of time.

So I wouldn't necessarily write off the purchase, but I'd do a bit more digging before committing to it.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 AM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

I’m an original owner of a 2010 ZR1 in northern Arizona and I have a C7 Z06/7 to compare it with. The ZR1 hauls *** from 120 to 145 with stock everything and 91 oct fuel. I wouldn’t touch the injectors or tune a bit for street use. My Z06 seems much slower accelerating at those speeds even with a small pulley.
My ZR1 is a perfect Car and is for sale, however I haven’t put a package together yet.
If interested call 408-482-8000 Jim
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Are the DI injectors from the ZO6?

Even a three hundred horsepower could easily come via the piggy backed EFI injectors, think standard parts.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-20-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

PCMs are confirmed locked, I've had a file at HP Tuners for a month now, and it's still TBD. Given that these are encrypted, modders will be frozen out for any major changes. We're already working on a complete CAN integrated replacement system though, but R&D will take some time.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,323 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by DanMan35
I'm looking at a C6 ZR1 and interested in purchasing it. I spoke with the owner and he told me the car is completely stock except for some ID850 injectors. His plan was to mod the car in the future and he wanted it ready for more fuel which is why he got the larger injectors installed but then his plans changed and he never ended up modding the car.

I know nothing about the fuel system and I've never had larger injectors. My question is: is there any negative effect on a stock car having larger injectors? I read online that the fuel economy and performance can actually decrease due to larger injectors if nothing else is modded and the engine could be running rich. Should this be a concern of mine?

I guess I just would like to know if you guys would be concerned buying a car with larger injectors if you had no plans anytime soon of modding the car. Anything I should watch out for? Should I buy the car and just put stock injectors back in place?

I only have 91 octane fuel in Nevada, would I be okay running 91 with larger injectors?

Thanks!

You'll get more help in the C6 ZR1 Forum instead of the C7 ZR1 Forum
Old 03-19-2018, 09:20 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

The owner told me that the car has been tuned to compensate for the alcohol content in the fuel. Not sure if that would affect anything on my end negatively or positively if I was only planning on running 91 octane.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
PCMs are confirmed locked, I've had a file at HP Tuners for a month now, and it's still TBD. Given that these are encrypted, modders will be frozen out for any major changes. We're already working on a complete CAN integrated replacement system though, but R&D will take some time.
Given the mod crazy Vette guys...wonder how many will opt out or wait until the car can be tuned?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Damn, that's a bummer. This would be a great platform to mod.

That's like hearing from the super hot ditz you've been dating that she's saving herself for marriage. . . . .
Old 03-20-2018, 05:48 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Tadge said the motor was done at 755 HP!

Adding the parasitic loss and it was over 800.
Then they released the intake/100oct 830 HP.
Are they worried about guys bringing their engines back to them in a box? Of course they are! They already have guys running them on track around the clock.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-20-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Larger injectors for ZR1 - question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Larger injectors for ZR1 - question