C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

2019 ZR1 Order w/High Wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM
TonyFiorello
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 2019 ZR1 Order w/High Wing

Does anyone know if the High Wing can be ordered without the Track Package? My build date is 4/23 and I have asked for the "High Wing" but it appears I might have to order it from parts and install after delivery...
Old 03-16-2018, 11:48 AM
SLBelt
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts

I've not seen any way to do that in the on-line configurator or the early configuration documentation.
The following users liked this post:
TonyFiorello (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Like SLBelt said, there's no way to order it separately in the online build-and-price site.

I'm sure you'll be able to order it as a part when ZR1 parts start to be available in the supply chain.

Butt....why do you want the big wing without the track package???

I think that you'll want the upgraded track suspension to deal with the extra downforce when you're running track sessions.

When you start cornering aggressively on the track and have that extra downforce, you're going to want the beefed up suspension or you may well have more downforce than the standard suspension is programmed to deal with.

Just MHO, but I'll definitely get the ZTK track package with both the high wing and the performance suspension.

TonyFiorello (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:01 PM
ALF01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Please do some homework.....a friend who is knowledgeable had this "wing swap" discussion with Tadge at the Detroit show - albeit briefly. The capsule synopsis was that, although I have not seen any form of confirmation elsewhere, Tadge indicated that the front under tray is different/has differences to "match" it to the rear wing factory installed on the car. In other words, you could swap, but you would need to change/alter (sorry, no more details) the front under tray when swapping wings to keep the car aerodynamically balanced. I had pursued this as I wanted the high wing with the Super Sport (and not Cup 2) tires....

Again, not saying this is gospel, but it is what Tadge told a good friend face to face.....

Last edited by ALF01; 03-16-2018 at 03:02 PM.
TonyFiorello (03-19-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:04 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Springs rates on Z06 and Z07 are different with the latter having higher rate/stiffer springs.

I'd be surprised if the high ZTK track package doesn't have higher rate springs.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I'm sure you'll be able to order it as a part when ZR1 parts start to be available in the supply chain.
This one will be one of those "kinda hard parts to come by" for quite some time, I suspect.

...or maybe I know. ;-)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default !?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I've only seen the ZTK big wing version ZR1 in person, but the pictures I've seen of the low/smaller wing show that it attaches in the exact same place as the big wing.

They both look like they attach to mounts above the rear spoiler, and those mounts must be on top of a strong bar that goes down and attaches to the frame.

It looks like you should be able to unbolt one wing and replace it with the other. But we'll have to wait until a good number of ZR1 deliveries have been made and the wings are available in the parts system for owners to try it.

Below is the big wing on a ZTK ZR1 that was on display at the Rolex 24:

And below is a video of the low wing version that I got from another thread that was put up by YellaFever. The low wing looks like it attaches to the same mounts as the big wing:

View this post on Instagram

Old 03-16-2018, 09:02 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default DebREDZR1 confirmed that! ;)

They switch, of course! BUT! The small wing doesn't attached to the frame from the factory. It's not necessary!

Awesome though! More streetability, and longer straight line track runs should be able to work out.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-17-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

You can just foresee people slapping this wing on lesser models and creating a profound rear downforce/front end lift scenario. You can't add rear wing, without adding front aero...at speed it'll lift the front of the car. In addition you press the car to ground with lesser spring rate, overwork the dampers, etc.

Just waiting for the Stingray guy to be heading to the parts desk.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 03-17-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:44 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Straight smooth mile track runs!?

Removing the end caps and if necessary raising the front of the car a bit with a Small wing street conversion!

DON'T DO THIS AT HOME!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:04 AM
ALF01
Advanced

Some additional thoughts on this topic, as I did a fair amount of research...

Per a couple of reputable sources within the design/engineering team (including my earlier post about a friend's conversation with Tadge), and my educated guesses:

The wings will be interchangeable in terms of using the same attachment points - confirmed by design team.

The mounting system will connect to the frame on all cars, regardless of wing style. Why? Because it is easier/more efficient to make all cars the same in this regard rather than have frame differences due to selected wing style. And, the potential liability/bad press were someone to attach a high wing to a low wing car if it didn't already have the frame connections.

There need to be changes to front aero (per Tadge, and some above posts) when changing wings....not just as simple as "remove & replace" the wing....

Last edited by ALF01; 03-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by ALF01
Some additional thoughts on this topic, as I did a fair amount of research...

Per a couple of reputable sources within the design/engineering team (including my earlier post about a friend's conversation with Tadge), and my educated guesses:

The wings will be interchangeable in terms of using the same attachment points - confirmed by design team.

The mounting system will connect to the frame on all cars, regardless of wing style. Why? Because it is easier/more efficient to make all cars the same in this regard rather than have frame differences due to selected wing style. And, the potential liability/bad press were someone to attach a high wing to a low wing car if it didn't already have the frame connections.

There need to be changes to front aero (per Tadge, and some above posts) when changing wings....not just as simple as "remove & replace" the wing....
I'm pretty sure the only front aero change is the larger endplates on the splitter. Same concept as the Z06 to Z07. Should be an easy swap and we've see a lot of the test mules running around on the street without them but with high wings.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
They switch, of course! BUT! The small wing doesn't attached to the frame from the factory. It's not necessary!

Awesome though! More streetability, and longer straight line track runs should be able to work out.
I was told be a RELIABLE source you can remove the BIGAZZ wing and replace with the smaller wing
Old 03-17-2018, 11:35 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Rushing Deb!? ;)

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
I was told be a RELIABLE source you can remove the BIGAZZ wing and replace with the smaller wing
You either didn't read or didn't understand my already agreeing with you and the significance of that!

(Got it! 'confirm not confirmed - Fixed!)

The frame mounted wing adds time at assembly, and part cost. If it isn't necessary it isn't happening!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-17-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:50 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
You either didn't read or didn't understand my already agreeing with you and the significance of that!

(Got it! 'confirm not confirmed - Fixed!)

The frame mounted wing adds time at assembly, and part cost. If it isn't necessary it isn't happening!

That part I got, the rest, welllllllllllllllllllllll .......
Im more worried about how I'm going to load up from the mall trip with that big *** wing in the way
Old 03-17-2018, 01:12 PM
ALF01
Advanced

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I'm pretty sure the only front aero change is the larger endplates on the splitter. Same concept as the Z06 to Z07. Should be an easy swap and we've see a lot of the test mules running around on the street without them but with high wings.
I actually thought the same thing, but a good friend who had press credentials to the Detroit Auto show bumped into Tadge at the ZR1 display. My friend and I had discussed adding the big wing later (specifically so we could have the car delivered with Super Sports versus Cup 2s), so he asked Tadge about it...and he described about a 2-3 minute discussion with Tadge before he got pulled away to another scheduled press event.

He said Tadge specifically told him the front under tray would need to be swapped out to keep the car aero-balanced when going from one wing to the other. Not just the splitter end caps (which GM now indicates are for track use only, and only come with the Coupe when the ZTK is ordered...if you get a Vert with ZTK, you do not get them). Tadge inferred it was not simple, but not terribly difficult to swap out the under tray.

I'm hoping to confirm while at the bash, but I will have my car by then....

So...not saying you're wrong, but this is what I heard, and I actually made my ordering decision based on it - which, I realize, is neither here nor there.
Poor-sha (03-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 ZR1 Order w/High Wing

Old 03-17-2018, 02:18 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Great!? ;)

Originally Posted by ALF01
I actually thought the same thing, but a good friend who had press credentials to the Detroit Auto show bumped into Tadge at the ZR1 display. My friend and I had discussed adding the big wing later (specifically so we could have the car delivered with Super Sports versus Cup 2s), so he asked Tadge about it...and he described about a 2-3 minute discussion with Tadge before he got pulled away to another scheduled press event.

He said Tadge specifically told him the front under tray would need to be swapped out to keep the car aero-balanced when going from one wing to the other. Not just the splitter end caps (which GM now indicates are for track use only, and only come with the Coupe when the ZTK is ordered...if you get a Vert with ZTK, you do not get them). Tadge inferred it was not simple, but not terribly difficult to swap out the under tray.

I'm hoping to confirm while at the bash, but I will have my car by then....

So...not saying you're wrong, but this is what I heard, and I actually made my ordering decision based on it - which, I realize, is neither here nor there.
The grocery getting and around town are simply covered.
If you're running a mile you will have a little more work to do$

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:36 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

One other factor in this discussion, and that is the spring and shock rates are different for the ZTX package versus not. GM spent a lot of time engineering a complete, integrated ZTX package versus the standard, separate, complete, integrated, regular ZR1.

Last edited by elegant; 03-17-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
There is an underwing as well in the front. Not sure if it's specific to the ZTK package, but it would make sense to pair it with the big rear wing to balance aero.

You can see it here below the splitter.

Quick Reply: 2019 ZR1 Order w/High Wing