C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Carbon Wing Damaged

Old 03-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

OP, I'm sorry to hear you haven't taken delivery on your ZR1. And I'm really sorry to hear the Carbon Fiber wing was damaged.

It amazes me that people say "Thanks GM" when GM didn't transport the box to the dealer-it was FedEx or UPS.

Listen to the two dealer/Vendors along with JVP who have posted here. They have dealt with GM the most and have the best solutions.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:14 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmill
I have followed the steps Nate i just spoke with a GM rep and was told they will not take a wing from a car that is in production nor will they give me a time frame as to when another wing will be sent to replace the one damaged in shipping!! I was told that i could go pick the car up and bring it home and they would contact me when a replacement becomes available. I am not willing to take possession of a NEW ZR1 or any car they cant give me a better answer than We Don,t Know what the replacement time frame will be. Just pick up your $140,000 car and just be happy!! Got to love Car Manufacturers
Taking a part from someone else's Z would screw someone else. Your only spiting yourself by not taking possession as the car will be subjected to the hazards of a commercial atmosphere. Take it home or let someone else buy it. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob62:
09ZR1 (03-27-2018), RoketRdr (04-14-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:21 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
To not have the wing on the car would make the car look like it is blemished and not complete. I could not drive it around until the entire car is put together as it was supposed to be.
Is the car functional and safe without the wing? We are not talking about a cosmetic part here.

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
Steps to resolving issues with dealership:

1.) Contact dealership, express your concern and solution. If unsatisfied with the dealership's response, go to step 2.

2.) Ask dealership to contact their GM Regional Sales or Service Rep and ask for a phone call from them. If unsatisfied with dealer's response, go to step 3.

3.) Contact GM Customer Assistance Center. File a claim. GM becomes a mediator and contacts both the customer and the dealership. The dealership is forced to follow procedures placed by GM. If unsatisfied with GM's response, you're on your own .
Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
Sorry to hear that a better response was not given to you! I would recommend contacting Customer Assistance next.
Respectfully there are more options. Calling to get an "intern" who knows nothing about the Cars is adding more frustration to the situation.
Getting a hold of someone who knows what you are talking about and how to handle this situation can be a chore @ Customer Assistance.
We all know these things happen. It would be nice if Manufacturers would have extra parts available knowing the risk for damage during shipping. It is the person buying the car who can decide what is best in their situation---leave vs drive home. I would not leave my Car at the Dealership to be fodder for some ones You Tube vids. The latest round of dealer clowns pawing the ZR, manhandling parts pretending to drop them etc.
There have been situations where the General hand delivered parts off their test cars for the Customer.

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 03-27-2018 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
09ZR1 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by snow
I have to agree with the OP... I would not accept the vehicle. You know what they say "out of sight, out of mind" and that is what is going to happen once that vehicle is no longer there.
Agreed, the best leverage he has is to not pay for the car until it's right
TARANTULA (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:33 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Is the car functional and safe without the wing? We are not talking about a cosmetic part here.

Respectfully there are more options. Calling to get an "intern" who knows nothing about the Cars is adding more frustration to the situation.
Getting a hold of someone who knows what you are talking about and how to handle this situation can be a chore @ Customer Assistance.
We all know these things happen. It would be nice if Manufacturers would have extra parts available knowing the risk for damage during shipping. It is the person buying the car who can decide what is best in their situation---leave vs drive home. I would not leave my Car at the Dealership to be fodder for some ones You Tube vids. The latest round of dealer clowns pawing the ZR, manhandling parts pretending to drop them etc.
There have been situations where the General hand delivered parts off their test cars for the Customer.
Customer Assistance cases are more effective than you think! Especially if the dealer wants their $ from GM and believe me, they do.
09ZR1 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 02:07 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by rob62
Taking a part from someone else's Z would screw someone else. Your only spiting yourself by not taking possession as the car will be subjected to the hazards of a commercial atmosphere. Take it home or let someone else buy it. Good luck.
That’s the dumbest response I have seen! It’s HIS car! He ordered the car a certain way!

Last edited by meadowz06; 03-27-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:23 PM
HPT
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Yep...it's still a Chevy.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmill
Has anyone had any issues with carbon wing being damaged?

I went to pick up my ZR1 on Friday March 23rd and as i arrived at the dealer i was met by the salesman telling me there was a problem with the wing and they were working on getting it replaced so as i walked over to the car and looked the wing looked like it was shipped without a box, Scratched and even dents in the wing broken piece on the end was missing a chunk. Long story short my car is still at the dealer i get a phone call yesterday telling me to go ahead and come get the car they are going to replace the wing (When They Can Get One) GM said there is no replacement parts at this time and they don't know when they will be available, So i explained to the dealer the car is not going to be moved and i will not except delivery of $140,000 car until the wing is Replaced. Way To Go GM!!
Hey Tmill,

We hate to see that this is happening and can imagine how upsetting this is for you . Our team would like to look into this further on our end. When you have a chance, please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN and servicing dealer details!

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.
The following 6 users liked this post by Chevy Cust Svc:
2500 hd (03-30-2018), D'ZR1 Messiah (03-27-2018), DARTH VETTER (03-27-2018), kenownr (03-29-2018), PuckDracon (03-28-2018), ROBWILKER (03-27-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Tell them sure you'll take delivery of it and pay them when the wing arrives. There's no motivation to fix the problem once they have your money. And if anybody thinks my idea is ridiculous, it's no more ridiculous than paying $140,000 for a damaged car. Screw that. I'm with the OP on this one.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 03-27-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
That’s the dumbest response I have seen! It’s HIS car! He ordered the car a certain way!
O.K. Homer but don't sell your response short. If that Z was mine, no way would it sit around waiting in the service bay for an undetermined amount of time when it could be safe at home. And what does "ordered the car a certain way" have to do with anything?
Old 03-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Corvette50mike
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell the Dealer General Manager you would like to speak with the District Sales Manager, preferably face to face with the General Manager. Tell them both how excited you are to be getting the 1st ZR1 from the Dealership and what a big Corvette advocate you are. Ask the District Manager to contact the plant manager in Bowling Green and have one shipped/expedited from the plant. If he says that can't be done ask him politely to get the Zone Manager on the phone and see if he can help. Between the Dealership General Manager, the District Sales Manager and the Zone Manager working on it you should have an answer on when the new wing will be there within 24-28 hours. I'd expect the wing next week. I'm speaking from experience, it will be the fastest way to handle the situation. Parts do get damaged in shipment, and this is the Flagship vehicle for Chevrolet, and your business and goodwill is important to GM and the Dealership, you just have to get the correct people involved. The longer the car stays on the Dealership's lot the more it affects their days supply of ZR1's, so they want to get the issue resolved.

Mike McGinley
dmaxx3500 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:33 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

So, does this mean if someone at the factory drops one on the floor or something and it gets damaged that the car will be held back?! Does the car get shipped if an extra one is not available at the factory?! I would think that the plant would have a few extras for this reason alone.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Corvette50mike
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tmill,
I assume you saw the response from Chevy Customer Care. It's exciting to see that they have been made aware of your concerns. It's important you chat with them immediately, they can help make things happen.

Mike M
Old 03-27-2018, 03:53 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

There's a good chance the carbon aero parts are made by an outside supplier and never go to Bowling Green at all. Just something to think about before blaming "the plant" or demanding that someone from "the plant" should fix this.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I'd raise hell with the dealership and GM but I'm still going to get out there and drive the **** out of it in the meantime.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
There's a good chance the carbon aero parts are made by an outside supplier and never go to Bowling Green at all. Just something to think about before blaming "the plant" or demanding that someone from "the plant" should fix this.
Good point I didn't even think of that.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:23 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
This is not the first report of ZR damage I've heard this week The General needs to step up and GET YOU A REPLACEMENT ASAP. The next car in line can wait. Hold your ground
Yep. I remember how great GM/ Chevrolet was about replacing cracked "summer only" Michelin tires that were cracked during shipping during cold weather. "Oh they are safe to drive. We don't have any replacement inventory. Just take your new Vette home and put it up on blocks 'til we get some."

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Wing Damaged

Old 03-27-2018, 04:24 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by rob62
O.K. Homer but don't sell your response short. If that Z was mine, no way would it sit around waiting in the service bay for an undetermined amount of time when it could be safe at home. And what does "ordered the car a certain way" have to do with anything?
It’s not yours. That’s the point! Homer!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

This is a tough situation. OP is the car paid for in full? It would suck, but what if the dealer says. here's your deposit back, since you refuse delivery? I'm sure you ordered early because you wanted the car as soon as available. On the other hand, I am the guy who just sent a brand new TV back because it wouldn't stay connected to internet after turning off, even though they said a service technician could come out to fix the problem and I said I paid for a new TV and I want it working right out of the box. ...of course a TV is nothing like your situation. I have no idea how the wing mounts; are there visible holes if it isn't mounted?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Tmill
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Damaged Carbon Spoiler

Originally Posted by Corvette50mike
Tmill,
I assume you saw the response from Chevy Customer Care. It's exciting to see that they have been made aware of your concerns. It's important you chat with them immediately, they can help make things happen.

Mike M
I sent customer care the information, I just spoke with the dealer and there response was they are doing what they can and i am always free to walk away because they can SELL the car. I do understand they can sell the car with no problem but that is sort of the wrong statement to say to a customer who ordered a car from you and averages 3 new cars a year from the same dealer...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Wing Damaged