C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Carbon Wing Damaged

Old 03-27-2018, 10:44 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
OP, I'm sorry to hear you haven't taken delivery on your ZR1. And I'm really sorry to hear the Carbon Fiber wing was damaged.

It amazes me that people say "Thanks GM" when GM didn't transport the box to the dealer-it was FedEx or UPS.

Listen to the two dealer/Vendors along with JVP who have posted here. They have dealt with GM the most and have the best solutions.
You are most likely correct that the damage was a consequence of shipping damage. However, it should have been noted as such when the parts department accepted delivery. If it was hidden damage, it must be promptly reported by the dealership when discovered. I am certain they would know this process. (I have been trying to get UPS Freight to handle a promptly reported damage claim on a 80 gal. commercial air compressor since Nov. 28th.) The dealer should establish the circumstances of the damage to the customer and the freight carrier, however, it's not the customer who should suffer. I have recently seen on social media curious dealership personnel unpack the ZR1 wings & CF parts just to show others what they look like. Just check on Youtube to verify. Any damage due to employee curiosity or damage from installation or the PDI process is not shipping damage. From what is currently known on this forum, we simply do not know either way. I don't think the OP has tried to be exceptional or special in any way. I think we can all agree that this damage is in no way, shape or form the fault or responsibility of the purchaser. I feel he can best determine how he should deal with this unfortunate situation. The OP just deserves satisfaction ASAP. As fellow Corvette enthusiasts we should all support him in this endeavor.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:50 PM
DARTH VETTER
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Tmill,

We hate to see that this is happening and can imagine how upsetting this is for you . Our team would like to look into this further on our end. When you have a chance, please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN and servicing dealer details!

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.
There you have it. Way to step up Chevy Cust Svc!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,751 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by Tmill
I sent customer care the information, I just spoke with the dealer and theIr response was they are doing what they can and i am always free to walk away because they can SELL the car. I do understand they can sell the car with no problem but that is sort of the wrong statement to say to a customer who ordered a car from you and averages 3 new cars a year from the same dealer...

It's BS that the dealer throws that line out to you, Tmill. They'd love to re-sell the car and maybe keep your down payment.

I agree with the member that said to let the dealership know you ARE buying the car and they'll get their money when the replacement wing is replaced and attached to the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
DebRedZR1 (03-28-2018), Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:28 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Truer words have never been spoken

Two words MARY BARRA - email her asap. Your only hope. I'll reach out to someone I know for you. Mayne he can help? Jeff Strauss

Not far off. It's just a car. If you pick it up without the wing will you be happy? That's your answer.

If they don't expedite you one from the mfr? Walk. They can sell the car? Np. To hell with that dealer if that's how that relationship started. Should've been a "if you want to walk because of this issue we totally understand" not a rub in your face deal.
Mary would never see the email. One of her slew of executive administrative assistants would filter it out and into an "escalations" email box. This eventually sets off a chain response of emails from execs beneath Mary right down the pecking order. The emails will saying something simply to the effect of, "look into this for me..." until 6 or 7 email responses later in the chain, it's reached the lower levels of escalations where a case manager is assigned to the issue that is in the same pay band range (meaning lack of authorization privileges) as your typical client escalation manager. In other words, the OP is already speaking with Chevy Customer Service poster in this thead, no need to "email the CEO" only to have another customer care rep bombarding his email box for information to create a ticket.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 03-27-2018 at 11:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 12:44 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
Bingo. A guy that is taking delivery today with an undamaged spoiler is no more important than the OP who put down $140K a few weeks previously.
They drop ship the wings out and only have enough for cars produced.
The wing with a uncertain delivery date then the next one could come damaged as well. Tough spot. 140,000 you expect the car to be right.
Check it over close and if has any other issues say nope.

If you take the car you may be driving around with no wing for a bit who knows. If you take the car tell you need 2500 off to help out.
Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 12:55 AM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

I find it hard to believe that there are no spare parts at all to be had.
If in fact that is true I can't believe GM is sending out parts through couriers straight from the manufacturer where boxes are routinely damaged and not being sent along with the cars.

Bad call by GM to not foresee any shipping claims and be ready to act on them immediately.
Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmill
I just got off the phone with the dealer and they ask me what i wanted to do (WOW) get GM or Bowling Green on the phone and have them ship me a New undamaged wing sent out. I am not looking for replacement parts just send the part that is damaged..
Lemme help ya with the translation...
"What are you willing to accept* in order to cut us a check?"

* short of what we promised you.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!
It's old trick used by dealers for generations.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 478 Posts

This seems like a matter of just getting the right person with enough authority aware and involved.
DebRedZR1 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:29 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Mary would never see the email. One of her slew of executive administrative assistants would filter it out and into an "escalations" email box. This eventually sets off a chain response of emails from execs beneath Mary right down the pecking order. The emails will saying something simply to the effect of, "look into this for me..." until 6 or 7 email responses later in the chain, it's reached the lower levels of escalations where a case manager is assigned to the issue that is in the same pay band range (meaning lack of authorization privileges) as your typical client escalation manager. In other words, the OP is already speaking with Chevy Customer Service poster in this thead, no need to "email the CEO" only to have another customer care rep bombarding his email box for information to create a ticket.
After my Mom died and I was trying to settle all her financial affairs, she was receiving a pension check from an insurance company each month.

I called the insurance company and they said they had no record of her, even after I gave them all her information (SS,etc). They had been sending her bank a check every month for some 37 years and had sent her a 1099, (as well as the IRS) each year, yet they had never heard of her.

All I was trying to do is to have them stop sending her retirement checks each month as she was dead.

I then talked to a supervisor with the same result.

Then I got on the web and found the name and address of the CEO of the large insurance company, so I sent him a registered letter requiring HIS signature. Two weeks later I received a letter from the CEO telling me everything was cleared up as they found my Mom's name in their screwed up system.

Then about a month later, I received a call from the insurance company and the lady told me that I should refund the money that they had sent to my Mom's bank after I first notified them of her death.

I told the lady "screw you. If you want the money back, sue my dead mother".

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-28-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:39 AM
ALF01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Quiet thoughts

GM personnel do not want you unhappy...reach out - politely - to the "Corvette Team" and ensure they are aware of your problems. The minions (no offense meant) have little incentive to correct, other than that being their job. High level personnel understand the value of good versus bad publicity. Amazing what you can make happen when you go to the top - experience talking here....

Second....tell the dealer you'll buy the car at invoice now, and pay the balance when they get you the wing. You'll make them whole when they make you whole....you're withholding their profit....hopefully an additional incentive.
Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 AM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

This is my thought process on it:

**I didn't read all the posts so if I repeat any or all my apologies.

-I would accept the car. I wouldn't want my girl just sitting at the dealership. Tell them you want them to leave the damaged wing on.

-Get them to give you an "IOU receipt" for a new undamaged wing.

-Take delivery

-Drive home with permanent semi & smile on ones face!!!

-Take wing off, get someone to repair it

-Wait for new wing from GM

-Now you are going to have TWO wings my friend

-Click, Click, BOOM
Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,085 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I always get a little laugh when people are told they just need to "email Mary", as if they're Facebook buddies or something. Like the chief executive of a global Fortune 100 company is sitting around reading customer service complaints from cranky Chevy owners.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
This IS Chevrolet Customer Service stepping up and helping, especially for those who have nothing positive to say. They really helped me and my dealer get and A8 C7 Z06 when they were first difficult to be had. We Corvette enthusiasts appreciate your listening and responding (CCC) when needed. Thanks.
The same Chevy Customer service that does not answer their messages They have nothing to do with ALLOCATIONS, half the time they have no clue what a ZR1 is when someone calls.
If you don't know the right people GOOD LUCK dealing with some of these so called service people.
The following 2 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
Garret (03-28-2018), Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

FWIW, I believe that GM does anticipate some need for replacement parts. The estimated % of needed replacement parts out of the entire production of a part is very small, while the new vehicle/part is introduced. This is likely handled by an agreement set in place between the manufacturer and the supplier. When a replacement part is needed the manufacturer puts a special request in to the supplier. The supplier has x amount of days to produce and ship the part to GM. Usually these situations are resolved within 1 to 2 weeks.

Even though it might seem like GM should have these parts readily available, I am sure there are several things taken into consideration. Such as pace of production, customer satisfaction, expenses, supplier restrictions, etc... A customer will be upset that the part is damaged or needs to be replaced no matter what. Having the car repaired in 1 day, or 2 weeks isn't going to prevent the customer from getting upset. While having the part readily available may help the situation, producing extra parts early in the cycle may cause additional problems elsewhere.
Steve Garrett (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
producing extra parts early in the cycle may cause additional problems elsewhere.
This is an issue when it comes to very lean, 'just in time' manufacturing. GM says we need x number of aero kits produced, QC checked and shipped on these specific dates. The supplier purchases materials and sets up a production line to meet those dates at a very specific (low) price negotiated between the supplier and GM. There is very little room for error or variation in the process. This is also a difficult part to make owing to the high level of surface detail and quality required. This isn't a mass produced piece of stamped metal, or an electrical part like a PCM. It's going to take some time. They can't just pay Bob a couple hours of overtime and have him cast an 'extra' wing.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:33 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
FWIW, I believe that GM does anticipate some need for replacement parts. The estimated % of needed replacement parts out of the entire production of a part is very small, while the new vehicle/part is introduced. This is likely handled by an agreement set in place between the manufacturer and the supplier. When a replacement part is needed the manufacturer puts a special request in to the supplier. The supplier has x amount of days to produce and ship the part to GM. Usually these situations are resolved within 1 to 2 weeks.

Even though it might seem like GM should have these parts readily available, I am sure there are several things taken into consideration. Such as pace of production, customer satisfaction, expenses, supplier restrictions, etc... A customer will be upset that the part is damaged or needs to be replaced no matter what. Having the car repaired in 1 day, or 2 weeks isn't going to prevent the customer from getting upset. While having the part readily available may help the situation, producing extra parts early in the cycle may cause additional problems elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Jeff V.
This is an issue when it comes to very lean, 'just in time' manufacturing. GM says we need x number of aero kits produced, QC checked and shipped on these specific dates. The supplier purchases materials and sets up a production line to meet those dates at a very specific (low) price negotiated between the supplier and GM. There is very little room for error or variation in the process. This is also a difficult part to make owing to the high level of surface detail and quality required. This isn't a mass produced piece of stamped metal, or an electrical part like a PCM. It's going to take some time. They can't just pay Bob a couple hours of overtime and have him cast an 'extra' wing.
Good insight , there has to be a better (future) answer for the consumer who is left holding his shiny new toy and unable to play There are a few out there waiting.........
Old 03-28-2018, 11:35 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

OP do yourself a favor do not take possession of the car until it’s absolutelly perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Wing Damaged

Old 03-28-2018, 11:52 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Are we really supposed to believe that GM counted the number of big wing ZR1s and then ordered that exact number of wings from their supplier? Come on...
Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Good insight , there has to be a better (future) answer for the consumer who is left holding his shiny new toy and unable to play There are a few out there waiting.........
The issue really lies within the emotions involved. The customer is excited, the customer needs to feel important, the customer is anxious. The customer does not feel important when the company he is doing business with fails to produce the product when expected. We all know that all said and done the car will have a good wing on it and life will go on. But, how do we solve the issue with the customer? When the company makes the customer feel important.

Fortunately, GM gives the dealer tools to help in situations like this. With a simple phone call we can make some monthly payments on a customer's auto loan, we can get some GM accessories for the customer, etc. It's up to the dealer to use these resources.
Tmill (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZF Six
Are we really supposed to believe that GM counted the number of big wing ZR1s and then ordered that exact number of wings from their supplier? Come on...
How do we know they didn't? For all we know, the supplier is experiencing a lot of defects and can barely keep up with demand.

The only thing we know for sure is the part isn't available right now. I highly doubt there's some secret stash of them in a GM warehouse and someone is just being stingy about sending this guy a replacement.

This is an industry where cost cutting is measured in nickels and dimes. So yes, I fully believe it's possible that GM has these parts allocated that tightly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon Wing Damaged