C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What break-in period? LOL

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by DSX Tuning
Eh, it’s not the 1960s anymore. When I take delivery of my ZR1, I’ll take it straight to the drag strip. Those engines are broken in on an engine dyno anyway, and part of that process includes running the hell out of them
No one is arguing for the longevity of the engine here. The break-in period isn't for the engine. It's for the rest of the drive train. The transmission and differential gears all need time to break in.

As to your "broken in on the engine dyno" comment: it's simply false. The plant doesn't "run the hell out of them" after they're built; go through the Performance Build process yourself and you'll find out how incorrect you are.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:43 PM
0DSX Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I suggest you email Mary Bara and tell her GM engineering is wrong regarding drivetrain longevity and they shouldn't bother publishing break-in procedures in the manuals for their vehicles.
Oh, and while you're at it, tell her there is no reason why warranties shouldn't be doubled.
Originally Posted by jvp
No one is arguing for the longevity of the engine here. The break-in period isn't for the engine. It's for the rest of the drive train. The transmission and differential gears all need time to break in.

As to your "broken in on the engine dyno" comment: it's simply false. The plant doesn't "run the hell out of them" after they're built; go through the Performance Build process yourself and you'll find out how incorrect you are.
I worked in powertrain for one of the major OEMs. I happen to know a lot more ins and outs than the generic public.

It’s fine though. It is hard to convince people they’ve been lied to.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:44 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

This guy (streetspeed717) is the biggest douche in the youtube car scene...and that's saying a LOT.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:47 PM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

I worked in powertrain for one of the major OEMs. I happen to know a lot more ins and outs than the generic public.

It’s fine though. It is hard to convince people they’ve been lied to.
i believe it, when I bought my ZL1 I floored it off the lot lol 7k miles strong.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:30 PM
CorvetteKilla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Last year, this kid was making >$18k per month from ad revenue on YouTube.

His channel has >650k subscribers.

Pretty incredible stuff that makes me wonder if I should give it a try.

If you listen to his videos, he's actually a pretty smart, articulate, and interestingly conservative person.

Good for him for making that kind of money so young!

Geeze he almost makes as much as I do just making videos on youtube pretty funny.

I have watched his channel for a long time, its interesting but very glad hes back to driving a corvette around instead of talking in his garage all day.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,589 Posts

^^^ Curious, did you clink on the vid in the OP’s post? I’m thinking, yes

Nonetheless, I believe that this is his third C7 in the past two years: 2 Z06s and now the ZR1. If this one is anything like the previous two, then he’ll be moding it shortly, so I doubt that he’s worried about the warranty... or not.

He certainly found a niche in having YouTube earnings pay for all of his toys... house... and even those sunglasses Kudos to him.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,792 Likes on 1,141 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I'm sure you have.

Go ahead and keep debating this topic with the guy that has a direct line to the entire Corvette engineering team. :-)
The following users liked this post:
charles7970 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

We're done here....no need to state the reason why-it's obvious.

Quick Reply: What break-in period? LOL