C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Yes, the ZR1 is faster :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
What an ignorant post as you have no clue who has what experience.
What I stated has zero to do with envy, it's a fact he paid a lot more money for those few seconds over a Z06 and good for him if that's his choice. Maybe he was just posting that the ZR1 is faster, but that is not how it came off to me, it came off as a thumbing his nose at Z06 owners, but maybe I just took it wrong. I apologize if that is the case.

We are all Corvette owners and we really need to get over this envy/jealously crap and quit accusing people of it.
I agree with we are all Corvette owners and it’s great to learn of other’s experiences for building the hobby/this form of entertainment.
Some owners may not choose/have the same opportunities as others. Having a public forum to learn about other’s experiences is for me a desirable form of entertainment that I choose to enjoy. I also choose how to interact with the medium as an authentic representation of who I am.
Yesterday, I enjoyed watching Poor-sha’s VIR videos on YouTube, including “Chasing Randy Pobst”. It was entertaining and motivated me to think, “Hey, I’d like to investigate using my motorcycle at VIR.” Who knows if it will happen - maybe VIR doesn’t have motorcycle track days - but it enabled me to connect with my other hobby. It was entertaining exposure I would not have had without Poor-sha’s sharing...and Poor-sha is a complete stranger to me.

Interestingly, the ‘critical sour’ posts on the forum are entertaining as well. I’ve had many different emotional responses to posts, including laughter, tears, anger, etc., in choosing to connect with complete strangers throughout the world.

Wow!

So, thanks to Poor-sha for sharing the ZR1 and Z06 VIR comparison. It provided entertaining “food for thought” and speculation.

Nice to meet you!

THANK YOU, and look forward to reading/watching videos of your vehicles’ experience.

Last edited by Vernon; 04-08-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:41 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I am a drag racer, and a fan of all racing and I am pleased with the fact that my C7 would whoop up on a ZR1 and subsequently Z06, in the quarter mile. But, the ZR1 is MUCH more of a racecar than my beefed up 14 C7 in almost every single way. These results are astounding and provided by someone with the skill and knowledge to ensure the data is accurate. Sean is NOT a slow driver lol.

Sean has PROVED to me and also the many others on the forum that have learned to trust what he says when he talks about road course racing. He has this time proved that the ZR1 is a force to be reckoned with on any road course you can throw at it and just how much faster it is than the Z06. I’m very impressed with the results he found. Keep up the good work brother!

Ant
The following 4 users liked this post by FYREANT:
Newton06 (04-08-2018), ROBWILKER (04-09-2018), RoketRdr (04-11-2018), TopSpeedNeed (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Amen brother.
You are so right, who cares what the times are and it actually has no meaning to no one other than the owner of the car. There will always be someone faster.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 AM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

If anyone wants to try running these videos side by side the difference is clear.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernon

I agree, we are all Corvette owners and it’s great to learn of other’s experiences for building the hobby/this form of entertainment.
Some owners may not choose/have the same opportunities as others. Having a public forum to learn about other’s experiences is for me a desirable form of entertainment that I choose to enjoy. I also choose how to interact with the medium as an authentic representation of who I am.
Yesterday, I enjoyed watching Poor-sha’s VIR videos on YouTube, including “Chasing Randy Pobst”. It was entertaining and motivated me to think, “Hey, I’d like to investigate using my motorcycle at VIR.” Who knows if it will happen - maybe VIR doesn’t have motorcycle track days - but it enabled me to connect with my other hobby. It was entertaining exposure I would not have had without Poor-sha’s sharing...and Poor-sha is a complete stranger to me.

Interestingly, the ‘critical sour’ posts on the forum are entertaining as well. I’ve had many different emotional responses to posts, including laughter, tears, anger, etc., in choosing to connect with complete strangers throughout the world.

Wow!

So, thanks to Poor-sha for sharing the ZR1 and Z06 VIR comparison. It provided entertaining “food for thought” and speculation.

Nice to meet you!

THANK YOU, and look forward to reading/watching videos of your vehicles’ experience.

There are lots of organizations (i.e. Cornerspeed) that hold motorcycle track days at VIR. They mostly run Patriot (sucky config), or South Course, but occasionally will run Full or North. I don't think the bikes run Grand, but I could be wrong.

Here is this month's calendar...

http://virnow.com/track/calendar/

I need to get my bike out there... maybe this summer.

I'm kidding...

Last edited by Newton06; 04-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:07 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I pulled this together in response to a thread over on in the Z06 section but thought it was worth posting on its own here. This is a good examples of just how much faster the ZR1 is than the Z06.

Same place on track at VIR, same driver, ZR1 vs Z06.

Thank God. Finally. Now maybe some of the Z06 folks will STFU!
Old 04-08-2018, 12:09 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
The screenshots are misleading. 16mph 10mph etc at same points on the course don't tell the whole story.

if that were the case, would the ZR1 not be far quicker than the 2.5 seconds it actually is?

as your pics showed it was such a significant difference it forced me to go back and actually read what the difference was. And i was surprised at how little it was given the extra power and downforce. Hence my original post.
Really? It’s faster. 2.5 seconds on VIR is an eternity!
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (04-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:25 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

i can have as much variance as 7mph within a few laps at diff spot, so those videos to me mean very little. The 2.5 sec is a better comparison.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Newton06, thanks for sharing about motorcycles at VIR.

We share an interest in RR’s.

Ride safe.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Really? It’s faster. 2.5 seconds on VIR is an eternity!
thanks for the education. from what i've read over the last couple of years was that the C7GS was 99% a Z06 on this track. yet it's how much slower around it than the Z06? but now that a ZR1 is 2.5 seconds faster it's "an eternity"? just a bit confused is all. now i get it. so the ford gt being a second slower should burn their car lol.

Originally Posted by mirage2991
i can have as much variance as 7mph within a few laps at diff spot, so those videos to me mean very little. The 2.5 sec is a better comparison.
^^^^^^^^ that was my only point. and the reason i posted the screenshots i did. thanks. coming from a novice on a road course, i didn't understand the value in a second or 2 over a more than 4 mile course.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:29 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Yes the ZR1 is faster as it should be but not by much!
I make it a point to sit back & try to learn in threads where I have zero clue what I'm talking about. Obviously, you proceed another way.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 PM
GarryZR1
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Poor-sha
Thank you very much for your efforts. the data is a good comparison.
Ignore the haters, they are not worth your concern or the space on this forum they take up.

Please continue to keep us up to date and educated. There are many here who really appreciate it.

Stay safe and keep the shinny side up and off the tire barriers.

With great appreciation.
DebRedZR1 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by redzone
I make it a point to sit back & try to learn in threads where I have zero clue what I'm talking about. Obviously, you proceed another way.
Last post in the ZR1 section for me HONESTLY as I am not even clicking on the ZR1 forum. You guys who like the ZR1 buy them and enjoy them!They still are a Corvette and the fastest and King of the Hill for now! ALWAYS RED DAVE OVER AND OUT FOR GOOD IN THE ZR1 SECTION! I wont let the door hit me in the *** as I leave.

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 04-08-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Corvette owners arguing with other Corvette owners....SMH.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
DebRedZR1 (04-10-2018), FYREANT (04-08-2018), RoketRdr (04-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Vernon
Drifting

I'm kidding...

[/QUOTE]

A little deviation but not intended as a thread highjack; our shared hobby...

...dropping in for the apex.

Newton06 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:39 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default ZR1 faster than Z06?

Goodness, it should be. Why is this even a questions? GM has had a few years to tweak some things. Especially aerodynamics which are hard for the rest of us to do since time in a wind tunnel comes dearly. I applaud what they have done because I admire designers and engineers that can solve the problem (going around a track fast is the issue in my mind, because going fast on the street is now a matter of how crazy/stupid you want to be in any number of cars) with the simplest, most cost effective solution. The cosmetic issues are fine with me, they are second tier in my view in this realm anyway. If I really wanted a beautiful (as the top priority) high performance car in this price range I would probably look hard at the Jaguars.

I look forward to encountering some ZR1s at the track to see how they do in the common mans world. What do I have to loose? If they have a better driver, I can learn something from them. If I beat them, I won't have learned much, but I can grin.

Now if the ME comes out, handles like my Lotus Europa did, and has 700hp more.......
Old 04-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I've watched both videos more than I would care to admit. The cornering speeds are practically identical. The ZR1 only really seems to shine where it can unleash it's 100 extra ponies. Not shitting on it in any way, just my observation.

As an aside, since people love to sling 'envy' comments, I have a '16 Z06. I LOVE the styling of the ZR1, and would buy one, but in my situation, it makes more sense to save some money and just add extra cooling and power to what I've got. It'll have the performance of the ZR1, but I'll miss out on the better styling(subjective, I know) and ego-inflating exclusive wow-factor.

Then, with that money I saved, I'll be better financially set up for snagging a C8Z if/when it comes down the pipeline.

Last edited by Satanspawn; 04-08-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Yes, the ZR1 is faster :)

Old 04-08-2018, 07:14 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The Grand Sport is a great performance bargain. The Z06 is a even greater performance bargain. The ZR1 is an unbelievable performance bargain when measured against the best sports cars on the planet.

I can't believe we're having a discussion like this.
RoketRdr (04-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:31 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
That's Steve. My goal is to have it ready for the NCM VIR event at the end of June. We'll see if it gets here in time.

I'm headed to VIR now for my final outing with the Z06.
Are you going to be at VIR Memorial day weekend ??? I will be there with the Porsche club
Old 04-08-2018, 08:13 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Last post in the ZR1 section for me HONESTLY as I am not even clicking on the ZR1 forum. You guys who like the ZR1 buy them and enjoy them!They still are a Corvette and the fastest and King of the Hill for now! ALWAYS RED DAVE OVER AND OUT FOR GOOD IN THE ZR1 SECTION! I wont let the door hit me in the *** as I leave.
I’m guessing a new thread is about to appear in the Z06 section and it’s not gonna be pretty (but it will have plenty of pretty red vert pictures)
The following 2 users liked this post by rob62:
DebRedZR1 (04-10-2018), Z06 1of38 (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Yes, the ZR1 is faster :)