C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C7 ZR1 April Nurburgring Testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default ! ;)

Originally Posted by Enzom
Can someone please translate?
The 911, on the other hand, has a disproportionately large amount of weight on the rear axle, contributing to compromised handling and increased rear tire wear.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a31703/porsche-911-rsr-frank-walliser/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 04-17-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 AM
AC SATCO
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
The GT3 RS is also over 400 lbs lighter than a ZR1 so HP numbers are a wash. The Z06 already beats the GT3 RS so the ZR1 will obliterate it.
God i hate this place already and im only here 5 minutes.

Last edited by AC SATCO; 04-17-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:01 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO

Welcome to CCC..... Corvette Cars and Coffee. Pull up a chair and enjoy.

Originally Posted by keagan
I just watched some clips of the Porsche running at the Ring. Good Lawd that thing is booking! Wow!
Well.... There is no substitute.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

No one making you stay
Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM
AC SATCO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C7_Z06

Welcome to CCC..... Corvette Cars and Coffee. Pull up a chair and enjoy.

Well.... There is no substitute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Lt7AIj6lg
LOL Yes. All in good fun. I am going to try my best not to troll most of the fanboys on here that will go to their grave saying the ZR1 is the best and the fastest car in the world despite the facts. It will be difficult, and im going to try.
The following users liked this post:
C7_Z06 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 AM
AC SATCO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WKM
No one making you stay
from google.................
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"synonyms:derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing;
    irony;
    cynicism
    "well, it's easy to see that she got her biting sarcasm from her mother"
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

from google.................
sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"synonyms:derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing;
    irony;
    cynicism
    "well, it's easy to see that she got her biting sarcasm from her mother"
Hi AC Satco,

Welcome to the dark side, huge fan of your car on rennlist and IG!

Don't let a few of these folks dampen your enthusiasm. As an enthusiast first (also C7 Z06 owner), I am a huge fan of the RS.

Porsche is the master of doing so much with so little. 500HP NA with Aero that does a sub 7 second time is a hell of a result.

If it means anything, ZR1 just broke the track record at Road Atlanta per post from Randy Pobst on IG. Previous record holder was Viper ACR.

So far, ZR1 is dominating on American tracks.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 04-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Road Atlanta is perfect for a Viper ACR...

THAT ZR1 IS FAST!
Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

LOL Yes. All in good fun. I am going to try my best not to troll most of the fanboys on here that will go to their grave saying the ZR1 is the best and the fastest car in the world despite the facts. It will be difficult, and im going to try.
ZR1 may not be the fastest, but it looks better than a Volkswagen 911. I simply could not over pay for a car that looks hideous!
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM
AC SATCO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
Hi AC Satco,

Welcome to the dark side, huge fan of your car on rennlist and IG!

Don't let a few of these folks dampen your enthusiasm. As an enthusiast first (also C7 Z06 owner), I am a huge fan of the RS.

Porsche is the master of doing so much with so little. 500HP NA with Aero that does a sub 7 second time is a hell of a result.

If it means anything, ZR1 just broke the track record at Road Atlanta per post from Randy Pobst on IG. Previous record holder was Viper ACR.

So far, ZR1 is dominating on American tracks.
Hey nice to see you over here! and i appreciate that. I am a fan of all cars, we have the same blood pumping though our veins and lust for that same fix every time we get in our cars, no matter what make they are.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I am going to try my best not to troll most of the fanboys on here that will go to their grave saying the ZR1 is the best and the fastest car in the world despite the facts.
Gee, thanx for NOT trolling...
mracer (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzom
So assuming the PTM is pulling torque to keep the drivewheels from spinning, doesn't that kind of nullify the torque advantage you began with? My point is that the layout of the GT3 has an inherent advantage over a front engine rear drive high torque car on corners because of its ability to put the power down more quickly. If you are saying that PTM pulls torque to allow the ZR1 to avoid spinning, great. But then it is not putting all of its torque down - because it can't without losing traction.

Comparative track telemetry (if it is ever available) may give us tangible data on corner entry and exit speeds, but I really do not think the GT3 is going to give up much to a ZR1 coming out of a corner.
I suppose "give up much" can mean different things to different people but one timed six/seven minute lap.. 73 curves how much of the "much" are you willing to give?

PTM in the combination with eDiff does not "pull" torque "it gives" torque to the limit in an already advantaged power torque band (if you can appreciate the subtle difference). Another way of looking at it is like launch control triggered at curve apex. Another-another way of saying it is computer puts power down early..just the way you interpret it.
But most importantly, it's the torque curve delta that counts and telemetry does tell us that it takes the corvette less time to reach peak double torque (@ 3500) than the GT3 own peak (@ 6000). Torque weakness is the GT3 known Achilles heel..of course they are "working it" so will see...

To be clear, I am not saying this happens on all 73+ curves of the Nurb..in fact I am willing to bet that by virtue of the GT3 240 pounds "weight advantage" it can squeeze faster speeds by "agility" on some curves but the "big ones" (low in - high out) yes, that torque delta shows visibly at a rate of 2-4 meters/s and I assure you don't need telemetry there to see it..

Overall agree telemetry data will tell/reveal the whole story but I doubt we will see it from anybody save extrapolating it from video...
Old 04-17-2018, 10:46 AM
AC SATCO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by meadowz06
ZR1 may not be the fastest, but it looks better than a Volkswagen 911. I simply could not over pay for a car that looks hideous!
Well, first mistake was thinking you're insulting the 911 by attaching the word Volkswagen to the description. The second was implying its not good looking, ok you have the right to that opinion. That simply doesn't have any bearing on the actual facts. 911 is a great car, whether a base Carrera or a GT3 RS, you and i both know it. Lets move on to the more important dagger you threw. You insinuate that buying a RS would be overpaying. Well all i can say is (for example) a 2011 GT3 RS is trading over the original MSRP yet a 2011 ZR1 can be had a quite a discount. I wonder why? I wonder why you consider buying something more expensive yet gains value is overpaying, yet buying something cheaper that looses value is not overpaying. Might want to take a good look at that one. And trust me the same thing will happen with both 2019 models, and yes ill put my money where my mouth is........when i trade in my current RS for over sticker on the new one at sticker. The new ZR1 will loose value, and i will say its going to be an amazing car, i wont insult your cars. Is it supply and demand? is it quality? Is it ring times? Is it looks? im not sure, but that's what will happen and it happens for a reason.
C7_Z06 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM
AC SATCO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Gee, thanx for NOT trolling...
Again please refer to my sarcasm post. I'm here for some good conversation and to make some new friends. Perhaps learn a thing or two.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Again please refer to my sarcasm post. I'm here for some good conversation and to make some new friends. Perhaps learn a thing or two.
Well you're making a **** poor first impression. Care to try again?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Tmill
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Old 04-17-2018, 11:00 AM
AC SATCO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jvp
Im sorry perhaps we dont share the same sense of humor, Im just a wise *** Jew boy New yorker. In all honesty im considering the new ZR1. I think its looks amazing and the stats are great as well. Could be lots of fun to own. I don't really care at all about ring times either. Literally none of us can or will ever even attempt to replicate the ring times in a RS or ZR1 so the times are meaningless to everyone who purchases these cars. The driver will make way more of a difference than a published ring time difference of a second or two between two brands current flagship cars. Heck, im awful on the track, and get passed by better drivers in slower cars all the time. Doesn't bother me, im only looking to improve my own times.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 April Nurburgring Testing

Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

When does the good conversation start
Shaka (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Im sorry perhaps we dont share the same sense of humor, Im just a wise *** Jew boy New yorker. In all honesty im considering the new ZR1. I think its looks amazing and the stats are great as well. Could be lots of fun to own. I don't really care at all about ring times either. Literally none of us can or will ever even attempt to replicate the ring times in a RS or ZR1 so the times are meaningless to everyone who purchases these cars. The driver will make way more of a difference than a published ring time difference of a second or two between two brands current flagship cars. Heck, im awful on the track, and get passed by better drivers in slower cars all the time. Doesn't bother me, im only looking to improve my own times.

Pay no attention to those who think this is their own private little club to come to. Speak your mind, let them learn how to deal with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mcrider:
Rodbuster56 (04-19-2018), Shaka (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Well, first mistake was thinking you're insulting the 911 by attaching the word Volkswagen to the description. The second was implying its not good looking, ok you have the right to that opinion. That simply doesn't have any bearing on the actual facts. 911 is a great car, whether a base Carrera or a GT3 RS, you and i both know it. Lets move on to the more important dagger you threw. You insinuate that buying a RS would be overpaying. Well all i can say is (for example) a 2011 GT3 RS is trading over the original MSRP yet a 2011 ZR1 can be had a quite a discount. I wonder why? I wonder why you consider buying something more expensive yet gains value is overpaying, yet buying something cheaper that looses value is not overpaying. Might want to take a good look at that one. And trust me the same thing will happen with both 2019 models, and yes ill put my money where my mouth is........when i trade in my current RS for over sticker on the new one at sticker. The new ZR1 will loose value, and i will say its going to be an amazing car, i wont insult your cars. Is it supply and demand? is it quality? Is it ring times? Is it looks? im not sure, but that's what will happen and it happens for a reason.
It's incredibly hard to argue the value proposition when discussing the Porsche GT cars. Pretty much all variants of recent generations have demonstrated exceptional resale by recovering, if not substantially exceeding MSRP. Being a Porsche owner (991 TT), I have watched with some interest over the last few years as the GT3 and RS commanded, at times, ridiculous prices. It seems that the "bubble" on the RS has somewhat deflated, with them trading in the ~$200-225k range while desirable colors or PTS cars are a bit more. They still bring great money.
But I don't think the .2 RS is going to be as fast as the ZR1. A member here posted some lap speed screen shots comparing the ZR1 and Z06, both driven by Mero, at VIR Grand. The speed delta was just ridiculous. The ZR1 was 16 mph faster on the front straight, 8 mph faster at the upper esses and 10 mph faster on the back straight. That's huge and I honestly think the comparisons will be to the GT2 RS.
S.

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 April Nurburgring Testing