C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Which to get - A8 or M7?

Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
If you are going to track it and street drive it, which should you order - The A8 or M7?
-If "tracking" then either, if "racing" then A8.
-If you are getting the car (like I am) specifically to interract with it and enjoy the driving experience, then M7.
-If you are getting the car to enjoy its performance first and driving connection second, then A8.
-If you want a rarer car, M7. This will likely be the very last manual front-engine (IE: true) Corvette ever built. Possibly the last manual Corvette as there are rumors the C8 will be auto only. In fact, the C7 ZR1 is likely to be the very last high performance front-engined sports car ever built. The only other two (which are not high performance) on sale now are the MX-5 and BRZ.

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-20-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

After 55 years of age your legs will become weaker no matter how hard you workout. Who the **** wants to shift at 60?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:04 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by XpatVetteLover
Automatic because as we age our leg muscles are the first to go or weaken. Ask any orthopedic surgeon.
Your ready for the wheel chair if your worried about enough leg strength
to do a ten pound push on the clutch!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
It's not a strength issue. It's your joints. My old man will be 69 this year and he has a hard time kneeling down and getting back up due to little to no cartilage in his knees anymore just becomes to painful. It's just something that happens as you get older, just like a car, parts of your body get worn out. That much back and forth movement can really put a hurting on someone with little to know cartilage in their knees. I'll be 40 this year and notice that I don't pop up and down like I could even 10 years ago, nothing painful or anything yet just takes a second longer.
The following users liked this post:
XpatVetteLover (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:24 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

I drove A8 Z06 and manual shifts are just extremely slow with a good second delay.
Mopar Jimmy (04-23-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:13 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by blb078
It's not a strength issue. It's your joints. My old man will be 69 this year and he has a hard time kneeling down and getting back up due to little to no cartilage in his knees anymore just becomes to painful. It's just something that happens as you get older, just like a car, parts of your body get worn out. That much back and forth movement can really put a hurting on someone with little to know cartilage in their knees. I'll be 40 this year and notice that I don't pop up and down like I could even 10 years ago, nothing painful or anything yet just takes a second longer.
Yep, your joints. What good are muscles without joint health to push down? As we age out joints naturally get weaker. Ankle, knees, hips. This reason alone is why Automatics are the way to go for folks at 50 or beyond. Try pushing a clutch pedal when you have bad ankles, knees or hips.

Stop being ignorant about your health.

Last edited by XpatVetteLover; 04-21-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Yep, your joints. What good are muscles without joint health to push down? As we age out joints naturally get weaker. Ankle, knees, hips. This reason alone is why Automatics are the way to go for folks at 50 or beyond. Try pushing a clutch pedal when you have bad ankles, knees or hips.

-Definitely an important point. But while joints get worn with time and use there is a lot we can do to keep them in as good of condition as possible. Vitamines like glucosamine are a no-brainer, but don't overlook the possibility of simply losing weight. Tough, particularly for me as I love food, but it's probably the #1 thing to do to lower stress on knees and ankles. And even 10-15lbs of loss produces a very noticeable result. I'm 44, lost 20lbs late last year (down to 260) and my joint inflammation has reduced noticeably. My goal is another 20, but to be honest I feel so much better now that it's hard to motivate myself not to eat what I want. Still, gotta do it, I know it will be worth it.

Also, if you are willing to do this, cut out all processed grains. The inflamatory effect in the intestines of eating modern cultivated wheat (and corn in my experience) can greatly exagerate joint discomfort as the inflamation affects the whoile body via stressing the immune system. Effects from diet change can be noticeable within a few days-to-weeks, depending on how sensitive and observant you are. No judgement there, it's just that every body's different.

Between being fat and doing intensive martial arts (throughout my 30s) without a lifetime of athletic tendon conditioning I have learned a lot about recovery options. A good chiropracter can be incredibly effective. As can a good acupuncturist. The former works directly on the mechanical interactions of the joints, which also effects surrounding tissues. The latter stimulates tissues via the nervous system to alter the stress placed on joints from muscle groups. My chiro has fixed many things for me over the years and I go to him periodically just for routine maintenance - like an tune up - just making sure everthing is in correct allignment. My acupuncturist saved my butt - fixed my sudden-onset plantar fascitis in less than 6x 1/2 hour appointments. Think of it like ctrl-atl-del for a Windows program that is "not responding". That was my calf muscles, they just wouldn't ever relax and constantly strained my achillies. I couldn't even stretch them properly because they were just too tight. But stick some needles in there with a little mild current and whoosh - the muscles relax. A few repetitions were necessary to reprogram them to a new baseline. Been facitis-free ever since.

Most recently I screwed up my knees working in my attic, and as a load-shifting side-effect of the previous plantar facitis, and neither my chiro or acupuncturist were quite able to directly attack the source of the problem. Both made improvements, but symptoms would slowly return. I was refered by a friend to a Rolfer.

Rolfing is, now IMO, the single most important and overlooked medical approach to general body health. Go google it to learn more, but I would summarize it as a methodology of studying and manipulating the connective tissue throughout the body so as to tune it to a physical balance - not unlike, say, tuning a V8 with eight single barrel carbs. If any single one is not in tune the whole engine suffers a performance loss and unbalanced stress. If the Rolfer is good it doesn't hurt any more than a regular massage. It's very very slow steady pressure that breaks up binding within connective tissue (fascia) where it is bound in a way that detrimentally stiffens a part of the body. That stiffness, which we often ignore because it is chronic and we get used to it, causes constant strain on joints by over-tensioning ligaments and tendons. Once the fascia is freed up the strain on the tendons goes away, then their inflammation reduces and they reduce pressure on the joint, then the joint pain (caused by its inflammation) disappears. Best of all, the effect is NOT temporary. It's basically a permenent fix unless you severely re-strain the muscle or go through years of continued normal-life misuse.

In my case my knee problems were fixed within 4, maybe 5, weekly visits and stayed great until I restrained them a couple weeks ago because of two hours of trampolining with my son. I knew that was unwise, given my weight and lack of conditioning, but I made a promise. The good news is that my knees, after being specifically targeted for abuse, are not as bad now as they had been in the past just from standing around on concrete at cars shows. I have a Rolfing appointment this coming Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it.

I know the preceeding was long winded. But most people I talk to don't really know there are so many options to treat their pains.

In short, devote attention to maintaining your body like you would your Vette, and you will live longer and more comfortably to enjoy your Vette.
XpatVetteLover (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 03:48 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

You are kidding right? Not all of us have joints issues. Past 50 here and run almost daily. Mow a half acre twice week with a push mover. No joint issues and the A8 has been sitting because the M7 is just more fun to drive. The Z06 doesn't feel like it is as much sports car with the A8.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:05 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

If you can 'shift' get the manual for the Road Course.

If you're not great at shifting, the A8 is going to be just fine at the road course, and quicker at the drag strip.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 04-21-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

You are kidding right? Not all of us have joints issues. Past 50 here and run almost daily. Mow a half acre twice week with a push mover. No joint issues and the A8 has been sitting because the M7 is just more fun to drive. The Z06 doesn't feel like it is as much sports car with the A8.
Consider yourself lucky with amazing genetics.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:47 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Excellent joint information. Thanks for taking the time.

Originally Posted by Palantirion
-Definitely an important point. But while joints get worn with time and use there is a lot we can do to keep them in as good of condition as possible. Vitamines like glucosamine are a no-brainer, but don't overlook the possibility of simply losing weight. Tough, particularly for me as I love food, but it's probably the #1 thing to do to lower stress on knees and ankles. And even 10-15lbs of loss produces a very noticeable result. I'm 44, lost 20lbs late last year (down to 260) and my joint inflammation has reduced noticeably. My goal is another 20, but to be honest I feel so much better now that it's hard to motivate myself not to eat what I want. Still, gotta do it, I know it will be worth it.

Also, if you are willing to do this, cut out all processed grains. The inflamatory effect in the intestines of eating modern cultivated wheat (and corn in my experience) can greatly exagerate joint discomfort as the inflamation affects the whoile body via stressing the immune system. Effects from diet change can be noticeable within a few days-to-weeks, depending on how sensitive and observant you are. No judgement there, it's just that every body's different.

Between being fat and doing intensive martial arts (throughout my 30s) without a lifetime of athletic tendon conditioning I have learned a lot about recovery options. A good chiropracter can be incredibly effective. As can a good acupuncturist. The former works directly on the mechanical interactions of the joints, which also effects surrounding tissues. The latter stimulates tissues via the nervous system to alter the stress placed on joints from muscle groups. My chiro has fixed many things for me over the years and I go to him periodically just for routine maintenance - like an tune up - just making sure everthing is in correct allignment. My acupuncturist saved my butt - fixed my sudden-onset plantar fascitis in less than 6x 1/2 hour appointments. Think of it like ctrl-atl-del for a Windows program that is "not responding". That was my calf muscles, they just wouldn't ever relax and constantly strained my achillies. I couldn't even stretch them properly because they were just too tight. But stick some needles in there with a little mild current and whoosh - the muscles relax. A few repetitions were necessary to reprogram them to a new baseline. Been facitis-free ever since.

Most recently I screwed up my knees working in my attic, and as a load-shifting side-effect of the previous plantar facitis, and neither my chiro or acupuncturist were quite able to directly attack the source of the problem. Both made improvements, but symptoms would slowly return. I was refered by a friend to a Rolfer.

Rolfing is, now IMO, the single most important and overlooked medical approach to general body health. Go google it to learn more, but I would summarize it as a methodology of studying and manipulating the connective tissue throughout the body so as to tune it to a physical balance - not unlike, say, tuning a V8 with eight single barrel carbs. If any single one is not in tune the whole engine suffers a performance loss and unbalanced stress. If the Rolfer is good it doesn't hurt any more than a regular massage. It's very very slow steady pressure that breaks up binding within connective tissue (fascia) where it is bound in a way that detrimentally stiffens a part of the body. That stiffness, which we often ignore because it is chronic and we get used to it, causes constant strain on joints by over-tensioning ligaments and tendons. Once the fascia is freed up the strain on the tendons goes away, then their inflammation reduces and they reduce pressure on the joint, then the joint pain (caused by its inflammation) disappears. Best of all, the effect is NOT temporary. It's basically a permenent fix unless you severely re-strain the muscle or go through years of continued normal-life misuse.

In my case my knee problems were fixed within 4, maybe 5, weekly visits and stayed great until I restrained them a couple weeks ago because of two hours of trampolining with my son. I knew that was unwise, given my weight and lack of conditioning, but I made a promise. The good news is that my knees, after being specifically targeted for abuse, are not as bad now as they had been in the past just from standing around on concrete at cars shows. I have a Rolfing appointment this coming Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it.

I know the preceeding was long winded. But most people I talk to don't really know there are so many options to treat their pains.

In short, devote attention to maintaining your body like you would your Vette, and you will live longer and more comfortably to enjoy your Vette.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I ordered M7 in the ZR1.. here’s why and I understand my reasons aren’t directly applicable. I have C6 Grand Sport Callaway 606SC M6. Very fun to drive. I have an Audi RS5 with ZF dual clutch DSG.. very fun to drive.. also have a Porsche Cayenne S 8 sp ZF Automatic: great car and great transmission but I’ve concluded that any transmission with a torque converter just isn’t going to give you as much tactile satisfaction. The A8 is going to be faster but you won’t have as much enjoyment doing it IMO.. when Corvette offers a dual clutch direct shift gearbox, I’ll buy one. My RS5 AUDI has taught me that paddles can be fun and I drive it like a manual, but not all paddles are fun as the Cayenne has them too and I leave the tranny in D 99% of the time.
Mopar Jimmy (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:23 AM
AZ Car Guy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GarryZR1
This really is a personal preference item. The only advantage to the manual is for extended heavy track usage as it does not create as much heat as the automatic. The auto will be faster in all cases.
Do you think the A8 was used in setting ring times?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:31 AM
AZ Car Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Palantirion
-If "tracking" then either, if "racing" then A8.
-If you are getting the car (like I am) specifically to interract with it and enjoy the driving experience, then M7.
-If you are getting the car to enjoy its performance first and driving connection second, then A8.
-If you want a rarer car, M7. This will likely be the very last manual front-engine (IE: true) Corvette ever built. Possibly the last manual Corvette as there are rumors the C8 will be auto only. In fact, the C7 ZR1 is likely to be the very last high performance front-engined sports car ever built. The only other two (which are not high performance) on sale now are the MX-5 and BRZ.
big difference between an automatic with a torque converter and an automated manual with dual clutch. The C8 is rumored to be a dual clutch.

I agree, the C7 is likely to be the last Vette with a three pedal manual that can be purchased.

Last edited by AZ Car Guy; 04-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:14 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

If your on the relaxed,lazy side definitely get the A8.If most of your vehicles are automatics get the A8.If most of your cars are vehicles are manuals and you get bored easy just sitting
There doing nothing then you really need to get the M7.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

It is rumored that the C8 will get a dual clutch direct shift gearbox. For anyone who’s never driven one, they can shift just like an automatic if you are in city traffic or just plain don’t feel like manually shifting. But for sportier driving they are NOTICIBLY more fun to shift up and down than the best torque converter automatic ever made. The reason is that your rear wheels are always directly connected to the engine mechanically. No “fluid coupling” for an instant before the lockup mechanism. Don’t get me wrong, the A8 shifts fast and is likely faster on both the track and strip than a M7. Imo, it just won’t give you the kicks a manual or DSG will. The M7 will likely be the last manual seen in a Vette. The DSG in the C8 may cause A8 cars to devalue but M7 cars to appreciate. DSG’s may not appeal to some M7 guys... I guarantee you they will appeal to all A8 guys.
JerriVette (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

After 55 years of age your legs will become weaker no matter how hard you workout. Who the **** wants to shift at 60?
Not really everyone. I'm over 55 and closing in on 60. I train four times a week and I enjoy driving a manual.

Sure I want a dct in the c8 as it's an interesting technical development.

Deciding between a manual or a torque converter automatic transmission in the last front engine most powerful ever built corvette is a personal choice.

If it were me? I'd probably go for the manual.

The torque converter automatics are flawless in automatic mode although manual mode is not quite as impressive as a dct or manual transmission. I enjoy being close to the action for that feeling yet of course each buyer needs to decide what they want. No wrong choice...just a personal one.

Good luck deciding for yourself.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-22-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which to get - A8 or M7?

Old 04-22-2018, 11:41 PM
AZ Car Guy
Instructor

my dad is 75 and he’s still pushing the clutch...
Old 04-23-2018, 12:29 AM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by AZ Car Guy
my dad is 75 and he’s still pushing the clutch...
Artificial hips let you squat 600 pounds also. Try pushing a shitty clutch with a normal 75 year old hip.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

75 here and muscle weakness and joint pain are real. I can still drive my manual C6 Z06, but I don't drive it when I am going be in heavy traffic.

Just about every time I come to a stop, I slip it into neutral and put it into gear just before traffic starts to move.

You can't compare "past 50" to 75. At just "past 50" I was also doing a lot of things that are now near impossible to perform at 75.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which to get - A8 or M7?