C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Viper still the King?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz

Randy's post says one tenth faster... Far from smashed.

Best Regards,
Dave
I am aware. I always use the word "smashed". lol!! 1 tenth is a slim margin.

As I said in a following post as I do every time people spout about the particular performance of a car at whatever track driven by pro's is that it doesn't matter. It's simply bench racing fodder.

Well driven a Viper ACR-E works pretty well. So does a C7Z06 and I expect no different from the ZR1.

I do not expect the C7ZR1 to be slower in the corners than my Grand Sport which is damn near the same in many corners with me driving as my ACR-E. I am however willing to put the GS in harms way FAR more often.

I fully expect the ZR1 to be harder off the corner than the ACR-E and have significantly higher terminal velocities on the straights.

The ZR1 also benefits from better gearing requiring less shifts upshifts at inopportune times as compared to the ACR-E.

I love them both with the front of the ZR1 growing on me. If the ZR1 proves to be track worthy without a lot of fuss and impossible to hunt down intermittent cooling and power loss gremlins I will have one of those along side the ACR-E.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Schotz (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by XpatVetteLover
The Dodge ACR Viper will always be America's true Muscle Car. The Viper is the Lamborghini of the United States.
Nope. It does not have the history to be America’s muscle car.
Was not built long enough!
Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

.1 on different days is a wash. Can’t claim that as a win let alone smashing.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by KKC7
Lol passed cars will always have an affect on future cars. You can't say the ACR was an iconic car. Don't get me wrong the ZR1 is an incredible car. I'd like to see GM release some times and stats soon. I wish it was still around as it gave competition which is always good. Nothing like 2 100k cars stacking up to 250k+ cars. The ZR1 has VIR under it's belt already and hopefully more to come.
The Viper is missed; no doubt about it.
A unique car, but all things must change...but Dodge refused and its end was inevitable.
Fortunately, around 20,000 were made and we will continue to see them on the road occasionally.

Originally Posted by meadowz06
And it is not a Muscle Car.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Your opinion bud. The Viper in my opinion is America's Supercar. No other Car comes close.

Last edited by XpatVetteLover; 04-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Quinten33 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The king of what? If we're talking about going on track for 2 hot laps the ZR1 might have a small edge. If we're talking about anything more than 2 laps my money is on the lighter, naturally aspirated car.

I don't know home much pounding a 6.2L can take making 855hp ( ~ 100hp to spin the blower) compared to a 8.4L of roughly the same architecture making only 650hp. The Viper is an all purpose machine on the road course whereas the ZR1 is more of a hot lap car but substantially better on the road and top speed runs.

The Viper is a track car that only gets used as a road car to get to the road course. The ZR1 is a road car that can do time attack duty. I'd say despite similar origins are quite different in capabilities.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by XpatVetteLover
Your opinion bud. The Viper in my opinion is America's Supercar. No other Car comes close.
It's all about opinion. Some may argue that it isn't a supercar, or that it isn't a muscle car, and neither side would b fully wrong or right. I think that the Ford GT is America's supercar, considering its heritage and all. However, the Viper is iconic and I hope it returns soon like Car and Driver claims to be true.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
the Viper is iconic and I hope it returns soon like Car and Driver claims to be true.
C&D is claiming this?
I think that might be a lot of wishful thinking.

IF it does come back it will be NOTHING like the original vision.
That car didn't sell enough to survive, and nothing has changed in the marketplace hinting it will work NOW.
Should Dodge want to and can get Sergio Marchionne to sign off on it, it will be more like the Vette than before.
The V10 will be gone, FI will be served up, and the thing won't require the AC to be on when driving it anywhere.
RoketRdr (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

^^^ Yeah C & D has a render of what they say may be a new Viper coming. Aluminum block Hellcat type V8.

They could be all wet and pullin' it out their azz, too, so who knows.

Last edited by OnPoint; 04-19-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
^^^ Yeah C & D has a render of what they say may be a new Viper coming. Aluminum block Hellcat type V8.

They could be all wet and pullin' it out their azz, too, so who knows.

Hell, if they're crazy enough to put it in a Jeep, only makes sense they'd try and put it in a Viper. But you're right, who knows?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 AM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

that was a great video.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Quinten33
It's all about opinion. Some may argue that it isn't a supercar, or that it isn't a muscle car, and neither side would b fully wrong or right. I think that the Ford GT is America's supercar, considering its heritage and all. However, the Viper is iconic and I hope it returns soon like Car and Driver claims to be true.
Ford GT, the original, was British with an American engine.

Ford GT, the current one, is Canadian with an American engine.

To be a America's supercar it will first need to be American. Even a base Corvette is more of America's supercar than a Ford GT ever will.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Ford GT, the original, was British with an American engine.

Ford GT, the current one, is Canadian with an American engine.

To be a America's supercar it will first need to be American. Even a base Corvette is more of America's supercar than a Ford GT ever will.

Not really. The GT40 was a collaboration between Ford and Lola and Mk I-III were built in England and the Mk IV was built in the US.

The new Ford GT was designed by Ford and is only assembled in Ontario by a Ford owned plant. Seems pretty American to me. If we followed your logic, most cars would be Mexican since everyone from GM to VW to Nissan has plants there.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:47 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Not really. The GT40 was a collaboration between Ford and Lola and Mk I-III were built in England and the Mk IV was built in the US.

The new Ford GT was designed by Ford and is only assembled in Ontario by a Ford owned plant. Seems pretty American to me. If we followed your logic, most cars would be Mexican since everyone from GM to VW to Nissan has plants there.
I don't think that's true. Ford looked for a car already developed in which they could transplant a Ford V8. They found the Lola, bought the rights to it and they fine tuned. You could argue Ford modified it extensively by the end of the whole thing but it wasn't a clean sheet design based on American engineering, except for the engine. If this was a "collaboration" today in F1 it would be called Lola-Ford similar to McLaren-Renault. Back in those days the GT was one of the least American cars considering American cars were almost 100% designed and built in the U.S.

The new Ford GT is made by Multimatic. Multimatic competed in motorsport for the last 25 years. Ford didn't go there because they have clean bathrooms.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 04-20-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:34 PM
CNU_Physics
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion. The GT is America's Supercar, the Viper is America's exotic, the Corvette is America's sportscar.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:16 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

dodge = exotic only when Lou Costello is teaching a math class.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Just a regular guy put down a lap running with Chin at VIR. There are just a handful of guys in the Country that own ACR-E's that are extremely quick and Gary is one of them.

Driven well I expect the ZR1 to be even quicker but it's not going to be easy. Poorsha is going to have to drive his new car really well and really hard to best this time. Luckily they both know the track extremely well and are very competent driver's so I think it's a very fair comparison.

Stock power on Hoosier R7's I believe is how Gary run's his car.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper still the King?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:22 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

That was a great video...
Old 04-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by snow
That was a great video...
I thought so too.

Of note look how cool the thing stays. Still below 200 degrees F on lap 7, his quick lap.

Also look how calmly he touches the wheel with his right hand. He guides the car.

His G meter stays very reasonable (1.5 or below) the entire lap indicating he's driving the car on a line where it wants to be driven. Not forcing the car to go somewhere it doesn't want to.

Nice lap.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Wow, great video and driving....made my heart rate go up.

LOL at the 199 degree engine temps.

Quick Reply: Viper still the King?