C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Is ZR1 really just 1 second faster than Z06 in Nurburgring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 02:37 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
I'd think it was just as embarrassing that you would really believe the ZR1 is only 1 second faster than the Z06 at the Ring when its 2.5 seconds quicker at VIR and 3 seconds quicker at Road Atlanta...not to mention the mechanical and aero improvements.
Originally Posted by Ruz
That "dude" also reported the time of the GT3RS, and had it dead nuts to what what made official today.

Also, the ZR1 was the only car on the track for the time that was reported.

There is no way of knowing what the time will be when (if) GM ever reports the ZR1's time, and you sure have to think it will be faster than what has been identified. But, if you think the Corvette team had the track to themselves on a perfect weather day and they weren't trying to set an official time, you are lying to yourself.
how do you know, no one was on the track, is there video? Also I’ll bet Porsche, who has a significant advantage (constantly testing there) has to do little to no tuning for that lap. They also use a factory PRO driver, who likely has thousands of laps at the ring. Interesting they use a new sport cup 2 R tire as well. Team corvette is going to need to do several test laps before they get the right setup and run an official lap. I’m going to laugh when MT test the gt3rs and others on our tracks and the ZR1 is faster!

Last edited by tbrenny33; 04-20-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Ruz
Race Director

Received 265 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrenny33

how do you know, no one was on the track, is there video? Also I’ll bet Porsche, who has a significant advantage (constantly testing there) has to do little to no tuning for that lap. Team corvette is going to need to do several test laps before they get the right setup and run an official lap. I’m going to laugh when MT test the gt3rs and others on our tracks and the ZR1 is faster!
Here is a link...
https://www.bridgetogantry.com/porsc...ay-over-7mins/

and here is a quote from the link.

After Porsche had their exclusive tracktime, Chevrolet took over the whole Nordschleife for a run or two. Unfortunately, despite the apparently perfect conditions and exclusive track, the Corvette ZR1 failed to improve significantly on the laptime set by its C6-shaped forebear in 2012… which was a 7m19s. Avid carspotters based by T13 clocked the big Chevy at around 7m12s.

Now, is it all BS...maybe. I guess we will know when GM goes public with a time. I do hope they are able to set sub-7 seconds.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:54 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruz
Here is a link...
https://www.bridgetogantry.com/porsc...ay-over-7mins/

and here is a quote from the link.

After Porsche had their exclusive tracktime, Chevrolet took over the whole Nordschleife for a run or two. Unfortunately, despite the apparently perfect conditions and exclusive track, the Corvette ZR1 failed to improve significantly on the laptime set by its C6-shaped forebear in 2012… which was a 7m19s. Avid carspotters based by T13 clocked the big Chevy at around 7m12s.

Now, is it all BS...maybe. I guess we will know when GM goes public with a time. I do hope they are able to set sub-7 seconds.
thanks for posting that. I think there is a very good chance they are getting the car properly tuned and set up and will bring in a factory driver for this. Look at all the sub 7 times, as far as I know they all have factory drivers in there.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:59 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Autoweek has a good article about the ZR1 that was on their email today. Fast facts. I just can't link it from my phone. One fact that caught me was that they burned through an entire tank of gas on the autobahn in 15 minutes
Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Yikes! Flat out I presume = 50 miles per tank, no wonder it has a gas guzzler tax = 4 laps of the 'Nurb if it was a straight line.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:35 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Autoweek has a good article about the ZR1 that was on their email today. Fast facts. I just can't link it from my phone. One fact that caught me was that they burned through an entire tank of gas on the autobahn in 15 minutes
i posted it up. Check a couple threads down.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

no matter how many say the time doesn't matter I say it's really important to GM that the internet does not perpetuate the 7:12 time. It's out there and they need a good time
The following users liked this post:
Xanthophyll (04-30-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

This is such bullshit about GM not caring about the ring time. Then why the hell do they even bother going there? They should never even bother in the first place. You cant just go all the way there, have an absolutely terrible half assed planing and then say you cant post the times and shrug your shoulders!

As with EVERYTHING GM has done about Corvette (and to be honest generally for domestic sports cars), there are nice ideas but the execution is so poor. The cooling in Z06, the lack of ring lap time in Z06 and now this. The problem with these affordable domestic cars is these companies never bother to go that 3% extra to make 97% the full 100%. Like those plastic front wheel fender extensions in z06 or extremely restrictive front bumper flow or the 7th gear that is in the awkward position or the rev match buttons on the steering wheel for M7 because “it wasnt cost effective to remove them” such a domestic move (porsche would never make these amateurish mistakes in their flagship cars).

but you know what the problem is? Problem is (or maybe its just the reality) the people who buy the corvette. There is a reason why corvette has a pure chrome wheel option (do you see one in a gt3?) or the z06 had 650hp/650 torque plaque (thank god zr1 doesnt have that) like people buying that car had to have that assurance.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 04-20-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Rodbuster56 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
This is such bullshit about GM not caring about the ring time. Then why the hell do they even bother going there? They should never even bother in the first place. You cant just go all the way there, have an absolutely terrible half assed planing and then say you cant post the times and shrug your shoulders!

As with EVERYTHING GM has done about Corvette (and to be honest generally for domestic sports cars), there are nice ideas but the execution is so poor. The cooling in Z06, the lack of ring lap time in Z06 and now this. The problem with these affordable domestic cars is these companies never bother to go that 3% extra to make 97% the full 100%. Like those plastic front wheel fender extensions in z06 or extremely restrictive front bumper flow or the 7th gear that is in the awkward position or the rev match buttons on the steering wheel for M7 because “it wasnt cost effective to remove them” such a domestic move (porsche would never make these amateurish mistakes in their flagship cars).

but you know what the problem is? Problem is (or maybe its just the reality) the people who buy the corvette. There is a reason why corvette has a pure chrome wheel option (do you see one in a gt3?) or the z06 had 650hp/650 torque plaque (thank god zr1 doesnt have that) like people buying that car had to have that assurance.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Why do we have four threads on this same topic?
Because no one cares about ring times.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:23 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
No. I seriously doubt it.

- 2 seconds quicker at VIR
- 3 seconds at Road Atlanta

On a huge power track that values brute power and downforce like the Ring...expect an much, much bigger gap.

Reverse those.

C7 Z06 Z07(magazine): 7:13.9
Camaro ZL1 1LE(factory): 7:16.4
Top speed is also important on such a long track with long straights. The zr1 has tons of downforce I suppose but may be down on top speed as a result. And at some point, adding downforce and power doesn't get you much improvement. After all, the c6 zr1 has only a tiny spoiler, showing that top speed and low speed handling are very important factors on the Nürburgring.
Shorter tracks like the ones you mention will reward power and downforce far more as you rarely stay at top speed for long if there is even time to get there.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:48 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PerKr
Top speed is also important on such a long track with long straights. The zr1 has tons of downforce I suppose but may be down on top speed as a result. And at some point, adding downforce and power doesn't get you much improvement. After all, the c6 zr1 has only a tiny spoiler, showing that top speed and low speed handling are very important factors on the Nürburgring.
Shorter tracks like the ones you mention will reward power and downforce far more as you rarely stay at top speed for long if there is even time to get there.
ha?
Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche brought a proper driver plus used Cup2R which is 12 seconds faster around the ring than a Cup2. The GT3 ran 7:12 with Cup2s, but the GT3RS ran 6:56 with Cup2R. The difference between GT3 and GT3RS is 4-5 seconds using same tire. If GT3 uses the Cup2R it will run around 7:00.

Watch the RS video and you can see that the driver made the most out the package. Astonishing piece of driving! GM needs to bring racing drivers from their factory team to really put a proper lap. They need to take it serious with tire warmers, cup2R tires and ace drivers. There is at least 12-20 seconds off the Z06 and ZR1 time if they do the three things i listed above.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The millions spent preparing for, and running at the 'ring, say you are dead wrong.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by PerKr
Go look at the ZR1 VIR video vs the Z06 one. It has more than enough top end speed.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:12 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 880 Likes on 450 Posts

Maybe GM was ***** footing around so Porsche can celebrate just like the Ford GT did around VIR...
Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The millions spent preparing for, and running at the 'ring, say you are dead wrong.
Guessing you're new around here....
Turn your sarcasm radar up...

Get notified of new replies

To Is ZR1 really just 1 second faster than Z06 in Nurburgring?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Porsche brought a proper driver plus used Cup2R which is 12 seconds faster around the ring than a Cup2. The GT3 ran 7:12 with Cup2s, but the GT3RS ran 6:56 with Cup2R. The difference between GT3 and GT3RS is 4-5 seconds using same tire. If GT3 uses the Cup2R it will run around 7:00.

Watch the RS video and you can see that the driver made the most out the package. Astonishing piece of driving! GM needs to bring racing drivers from their factory team to really put a proper lap. They need to take it serious with tire warmers, cup2R tires and ace drivers. There is at least 12-20 seconds off the Z06 and ZR1 time if they do the three things i listed above.
I have never heard of a Cup2R tire. Where can I learn more?
Old 04-21-2018, 02:02 PM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I have never heard of a Cup2R tire. Where can I learn more?
This is a press release from Porsche

World premiere at the Geneva Motor Show

At the Nürburgring the 911 GT3 RS was equipped with the latest generation of Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. Optimised especially for track day use, the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R is fully compliant with relevant EU and US law. The tyre (265/35 ZR 20 front and 325/30 ZR 21 rear) can soon be ordered at every Porsche Centre and selected dealers or tyre fitters. Its approved fitments include 911 GT3 RS and 911 GT2 RS
Poor-sha (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:52 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Had coffee coming out of my nose.
Boba Fett (04-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Is ZR1 really just 1 second faster than Z06 in Nurburgring?