C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Daily mods help...

Old 04-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Daily mods help...

With my C7 ZR1 on the way, some time GM , I am now in the brainstorming stage for mods. No, not performance mods. But mods that benefit the daily driver experience. I have a short list, but would certainly appreciate the community's suggestions.

My list so far:
Definite (unless someone makes a good case against it)
- Valentine One. My detector of choice. I may buy another for the ZR1 or steal the one out of my wife's X3 since she never uses it.
- Ultimate Cupholders. I've used them in all my cars and they are my favorite. (They don't currently show C7 fitment, but that doesn't mean they don't fit. I will test with my existing BMW ones)
- Ceramic window tint. Everywhere, including clear tint on the front windshield. We did this on our X3 and it noticeably reduced interior temps when parked outside, and massively drops UV hitting the interior (and your retinas)
- Trunk net. I saw one for $25 on Amazon that looked perfect: three netted compartments, flexible, and low enough that it sits just under the stowed roof.
- A pool noodle. Saw CorvetteDude's vid on using a short cut of pool noodle to carry with you in the car to prevent door dings. Brilliant idea. Although I will probably use a denser, softer pipe insulation instead.
- This storage compartment organizer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N265QL6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8RMWO6PW866M https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N265QL6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8RMWO6PW866M

- Visor label covers, because I hate the labels!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0S0SKZ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8RMWO6PW866M https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0S0SKZ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8RMWO6PW866M

- Bolt-on or clip-in lift pucks. I've seen metal and plastic versions. I lean a little toward plastic as it will be lighter and less slippery than metal. Opinions?

Possibly
- Toe hooks. Can someone tell me if the C7 (or ZR1) comes with them? My BMWs all did, but this is my first Vette. I'll be tracking occasionally, so I will need hooks.
- Door Dogs or clear film? I can forsee the inevitable door handle recess area scratches and would like to prevent them, within reason. Do you guys like either of these products? Recommend other solutions?
- Skip shift deactivator? Do I need this on the ZR1 of does it not have skip shift because it's hit with GG tax anyway?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKQRCUC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8RMWO6PW866M https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKQRCUC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8RMWO6PW866M

- Battery tender? I plan to drive the ZR1 a lot, and have two good quality tenders for my other cars. Those connect to terminal leads under the hood. Do I need the Chevy-style socket version? Or can I connect with a regular tender's alligator clips?

And lastly...What don't I know about?

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-21-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:00 PM
AZ Car Guy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Ceramic Pro... stuff is amazing.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:11 PM
GarryZR1
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by GarryZR1; 05-28-2018 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Palantirion (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Skip the entire "Possibly" list....not needed (except for the battery tender).
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't sweat the details. First world problems. People are killed in Brazil every day over cheap cellular phones because law abiding citizens are prohibited to own any weapons, knives, guns, pepper spray and so on and so forth. Only bad people own guns. Try driving a new Corvette anywhere in Brazil and you could be assassinated within minutes and your dream Corvette taken forever. May God continue to love the USA and their people.

Last edited by XpatVetteLover; 04-21-2018 at 09:15 PM.
SpeedyD (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
With my C7 ZR1 on the way, some time GM , I am now in the brainstorming stage for mods. No, not performance mods. But mods that benefit the daily driver experience. I have a short list, but would certainly appreciate the community's suggestions.

My list so far:
Definite (unless someone makes a good case against it)
- Valentine One. My detector of choice. I may buy another for the ZR1 or steal the one out of my wife's X3 since she never uses it.
- Ultimate Cupholders. I've used them in all my cars and they are my favorite. (They don't currently show C7 fitment, but that doesn't mean they don't fit. I will test with my existing BMW ones)
- Ceramic window tint. Everywhere, including clear tint on the front windshield. We did this on our X3 and it noticeably reduced interior temps when parked outside, and massively drops UV hitting the interior (and your retinas)
- Trunk net. I saw one for $25 on Amazon that looked perfect: three netted compartments, flexible, and low enough that it sits just under the stowed roof.
- A pool noodle. Saw CorvetteDude's vid on using a short cut of pool noodle to carry with you in the car to prevent door dings. Brilliant idea. Although I will probably use a denser, softer pipe insulation instead.
- This storage compartment organizer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N265QL6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid =A8RMWO6PW866M

- Visor label covers, because I hate the labels! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0S0SKZ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid =A8RMWO6PW866M

- Bolt-on or clip-in lift pucks. I've seen metal and plastic versions. I lean a little toward plastic as it will be lighter and less slippery than metal. Opinions?

Possibly
- Toe hooks. Can someone tell me if the C7 (or ZR1) comes with them? My BMWs all did, but this is my first Vette. I'll be tracking occasionally, so I will need hooks.
- Door Dogs or clear film? I can forsee the inevitable door handle recess area scratches and would like to prevent them, within reason. Do you guys like either of these products? Recommend other solutions?
- Skip shift deactivator? Do I need this on the ZR1 of does it not have skip shift because it's hit with GG tax anyway? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKQRCUC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid =A8RMWO6PW866M

- Battery tender? I plan to drive the ZR1 a lot, and have two good quality tenders for my other cars. Those connect to terminal leads under the hood. Do I need the Chevy-style socket version? Or can I connect with a regular tender's alligator clips?

And lastly...What don't I know about?
Great list to start with. Here are a few that I'm thinking about, splash guards, SD cards, W2W, Charging cord, Shifter
Palantirion (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:40 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GarryZR1
No need for visor label covers, waste of $20. I just took my hair dryer to them this morning and slowly peeled them off.

They do not come with tow hooks. The GM ones on GM parts direct are the least expensive and they are eyelets.

I got a small shelf on Amazon for behind the center console monitor.

Had Xpel installed on the front and rocker areas.

Lift pucks are a good idea for lifting car and not having side skirt issues.

Also recommend GM car cover.

Also, I got ACS front mud flaps to save from the stone chips of the paint
-Thanks man! I was going to get the visor label covers only because I am unfamiliar with removal of the label on Corvettes. I've removed them on all three of our BMWs - from leather, vinyl, and fabric, following the DIY steps of other forum members. I used either Goof Off or Goo Gone (where one works the other doesn't) to loosen the adhesive and they came off easily. I'd be wary of taking them off any car without a forum tutorial or youtube vid. So thanks for letting me know it can be done.

I'm not a big fan of clearbras. Perhaps I'm an old fart, I certainly don't trust many detailers or installers around Orange County. I do my own detail work, for better or worse. I've learned to much at Meguiar's HQ, so I see how others cut corners.

Originally Posted by Bob U
Great list to start with. Here are a few that I'm thinking about, splash guards, SD cards, W2W, Charging cord, Shifter
-If you don't mind, please ellaborate on each that you listed. Links would also be appreciated to make sure I'm looking at the exact product you reference.

Originally Posted by AZ Car Guy
Ceramic Pro... stuff is amazing.
- I'm sure it is, for a while. It's the long term effects that I am uneasy about.
My initial concerns are:
1) I keep my cars a long time, so I want the ability to work on future defects. Ceramic effectively prevents this. Although ceramic claims it prevents new defects in the first place.
2) If you have to replace a panel after a collision how does the body shop match the color exactly? And how could they color blend over ceramic-treated panels?
3) I have read it must be sanded off to be removed. Thus reducing the factory clearcoat, correct? On a collector car with original paint that could be a big turn-off.

Aside from the above: Does it work as well as advertised? and for as long? The top (refresher) coats seem a lot like the same labor as waxing your car in a conventional sense, so where is the ceramic maintainence advantage?

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-22-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:27 AM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Check out vinyl bras, just be sure to take them off and clean the underside.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XpatVetteLover
Check out vinyl bras, just be sure to take them off and clean the underside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PxmtZE_jms
-Noooo thank you. Aside from ugly, they lead to paint micro scratches. Clearbra would be better.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:43 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by Palantirion
-Noooo thank you. Aside from ugly, they lead to paint micro scratches. Clearbra would be better.
Not true today. Colgan Bras offer surprisingly good protection. Nothing like those old 80s junk stuff. As long as you remove it when washing/waxing. Technology has come a long way since the 80s.
Palantirion (04-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Daily mods help...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daily mods help...