C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What is GM’s recommended paint cure time before applying wax/sealants?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:41 PM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Default What is GM’s recommended paint cure time before applying wax/sealants?

Does anyone have a difinetive statement from GM regarding recommended paint cure time before applying wax/sealant’s?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Anthony D'Aloisio
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Being most zr1’s are sold orders I believe they really don’t care what you do with them😂!
Old 04-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Original paint whenever you want. Many times products are used prior to delivery.

Paint repairs 30 -90 days. Paint shop should tell you when it's safe.
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

In my experience, and from my detailer friend's wider experience, paint from a manufacturer is cured differently than allowed in the secondary market. That is why it is ok to clearbra or wax a brand new car upon delivery. Body shop paint needs to cure in open air and to be safe it's best to wait the full 90 days. It's best also not to wash it for as long as possible within that 90 day window as the paint will be slightly softer until it is cured, so more prone to swirl marks.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Palantirion
In my experience, and from my detailer friend's wider experience, paint from a manufacturer is cured differently than allowed in the secondary market. That is why it is ok to clearbra or wax a brand new car upon delivery. Body shop paint needs to cure in open air and to be safe it's best to wait the full 90 days. It's best also not to wash it for as long as possible within that 90 day window as the paint will be slightly softer until it is cured, so more prone to swirl marks.
Thanks. So if you have custom paint added after delivery, i.e. custom stinger, hood, etc., how long do you need to wait to add Xpel or another paint protective film?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks. So if you have custom paint added after delivery, i.e. custom stinger, hood, etc., how long do you need to wait to add Xpel or another paint protective film?
-You could apply xpel or other films immediately. BUT when you remove them it is near 100% chance that it will take the added paint with it. Wait 90 days after, and hope the company that painted your car did great prep work for the paint to bond.

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-23-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Palantirion
-You could apply xpel or other films immediately. BUT when you remove them it is near 100% chance that it will take the added paint with it. Wait 90 days after, and hope the company that painted your car did great prep work for the paint to bond.

What about Ceramic Pro?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Carlos@mrrwheels
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,109 Likes on 623 Posts

well honestly the paint is cured the minute a car is out of the heating oven.
i mean I used to work for a body shop and the process was simple.
ones the car was out of the oven and received a coat of paint or damaged repair, the car was left out, the next day we color sand and buffed the car in which to do so compound wax is used/ ones that was completed we added dressing wax to finish up the smoothness.
in other words you can apply protective waxes and dressings right after receiving your car
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Many thanks for the helpful info, much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carlos@mrrwheels
well honestly the paint is cured the minute a car is out of the heating oven.
-Umm, no. It's dry, but it isn't cured. You can work on it, sure, but that doesn't mean that the residual binding agents aren't still outgassing. Proof of this is that the force required to manipulate the paint changes in the days/weeks after painting.

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1

What about Ceramic Pro?
-Well, ceramic seems like a potential hazard to all paint if removed, which is why I'm not on board with it for my cars. So I see no harm in applying it to newer paint if it was a product you would consider.

HOWEVER, I do not know what various ceramics' binder are. If it is an acrylic binder, or anything that truly seals the underlying paint to an airtight condition there is the risk of "paint blocking". Google it. Most often this is a situation that occurs with latex or acrylic, but in part that generalization is because no one puts latex or acrylic over an oil or enamel or urethane base. Because those binders take longer to outgas than acrylic takes to dry - and they can breathe through top coats of the same binder whereas they would get blocked by acrylic or latex which are totally airtight - they would probably push out or create bubbles in the sealing layer.

HOWEVER, in the auto world we see acrylic (water based) sealants over cured urethane paint all the time - have you ever applied a sealant or wax where the rags were not launderable in a washing machine? Nope (except ceramic because of the glass content). So it seems that this might be evidence that the generous 90-day window exists to ensure that the underlying paint is not just cured but fully cured (completely outgassed and stable) prior to sealing it.

My Z4 M Coupe has an aftermarket CF roof on it. I painted over the CF with acrylic as part of the car's Art Car composition. This posed no problem for 6 years or so...until the epoxy resin (aftermarket companies are often liars!) started to break down. Now I can tell it is outgassing because little bubbles are popping up here and there on the roof panel under my paint. This is not a typical example of paint blocking, from new application, but effectively is the same problem. Except in my Z4's case it is degenerative and likely will not end.

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Carlos@mrrwheels
Supporting Vendor

well lets not forget the actual question here is when can protective wax or dressing be applied to your car/ the honest straight forward truth is right away/
you dont have to wait 90 days to add dressing or wax/ a body shop douse this immediately after a car is painted.
I didnt work for a Jose's body chop/ lol they do good work as well/ I worked for a corporate shop that was a referral revolving door for Farmers/ Mercury / state farm /liberty/ you name it only insurance vehicles.
if you dont believe me crash your car lol Joke please dont.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:54 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Paint cure time

Originally Posted by 638hp
does anyone have a difinetive statement from gm regarding recommended paint cure time before applying wax/sealant’s?

as long as you are not the bright orange or red colors you can do it within 3 months of purchase providing you do not live in a cold climate.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:46 PM
Carlos@mrrwheels
Supporting Vendor

I found this info

10. How soon can I wax my new car?

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

To maintain your cars fresh paint during the recommended curing time you can safely use any of the below Meguiar's pure polishes, which are not only safe for fresh paint but help to enhance the curing process while making your paint look it's absolute best.

Get notified of new replies

To What is GM’s recommended paint cure time before applying wax/sealants?

Quick Reply: What is GM’s recommended paint cure time before applying wax/sealants?