C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Test drove A8 and M7 ZO6 today-made my decision for the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

BTW - apparently there's another thread in the same group saying that the ZR1 does not have the skip shift feature. So anyone who doesn't really care for CAGS (I just accelerate to bypass it), ZR1 owners can shift however they want, whenever they want. So another benefit towards the M7 purchase.

Last edited by Judgment Day; 04-27-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:35 PM
L8 APEX
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Great choice I knew within a few minutes of driving off in my 2016 Z06/07 that I ordered the car with the wrong transmission.A8
The ZR1 ordered with a manuall, as of today the car is at 3800 (built)
now the wait for delivery.

Last edited by L8 APEX; 04-27-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The A8 will shift fast but you have to use the throttle to tell it you are serious. Running half or three quarter throttle up to 3500 rpms and shifting doesn't tell it you are serious. You have to be wide open.

Bill
Old 04-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The A8 transmission is excellent in low speed traffic situations and also excellent at track days...
It's funny how people complain about manuals for traffic. I don't find automatics any easier to drive in traffic, unless the traffic is so slow that I have to clutch in and out, because idle in first gear is too fast. In fact, in many traffic situations, I find manuals easier in traffic. I can drive single pedal, using engine braking, rather than constantly going between gas and brake. I don't find putting an automatic in first or second gear having the same engine braking effect as a manual either. This is coming from someone who drives in Los Angeles traffic. Traffic doesn't get any worse than that.

Last edited by Michael A; 04-27-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

After seeing both specs at the Birthday Bash, I think I'd still go with the big wing.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:39 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Manual ftw

Until GM figures out how to make their automatic gearbox as good as the BMW ZF 8 speed gearbox, or the M-DCT or Porsche PDK gearboxes, manual is definitely the way to go IMO (even though I'd still get manual personally)
Old 04-27-2018, 08:20 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 254 Posts

I think the real decision factors involve how you plan to drive the car.....I have ONLY had manual transmission performance cars for the past 45 years including a C6Z & C7Z. I absolutely love rowing thru the gears on my 700+ RWHP LS7 Monte Carlo SS but at the track it is very difficult to try and get clean launches with Drag radials and forget street tires.....I am convinced that pleasure driving a ZR1 around town would undoubtedly be much more pleasurable with the M7 but if I had any inclinations of racing it I honestly believe I would get an A8 and trust me I NEVER thought that I would even think this before seeing wfarmer.z 's car shift at the track! If you've never driven a car with this kind of power before with street tires, it is a bear to keep under control at low speeds and full throttle with only 1 hand on the wheel
Old 04-27-2018, 09:15 PM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I think the real decision factors involve how you plan to drive the car.....I have ONLY had manual transmission performance cars for the past 45 years including a C6Z & C7Z. I absolutely love rowing thru the gears on my 700+ RWHP LS7 Monte Carlo SS but at the track it is very difficult to try and get clean launches with Drag radials and forget street tires.....I am convinced that pleasure driving a ZR1 around town would undoubtedly be much more pleasurable with the M7 but if I had any inclinations of racing it I honestly believe I would get an A8 and trust me I NEVER thought that I would even think this before seeing wfarmer.z 's car shift at the track! If you've never driven a car with this kind of power before with street tires, it is a bear to keep under control at low speeds and full throttle with only 1 hand on the wheel
well said.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:19 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The numbers Tadge put up at the bash show the manual trans now at or slightly less than 20% of Corvette sales. I guess you can call us manual trans fans "20 percenters".
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 PM
taekyon
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What dealership are you ordering your ZR1 from?

Originally Posted by jamesw2066
After reading all the posts on the A8 vs M7 I really began questioning my ZR1 order with the A8. I would also point out that I am hotroder whose previous and current cars were all manuals, M22's, T10's and both of my current C3 customs are Tremecs. I thought that I was ready to give up the shifting, and focus more on driving with both hands on the wheel but it dawned on me that what if I put the A8 in the Z and I didn't like it, then what? drive my 72 when I want to DRIVE...or it proves to have issues like the previous A8 vettes. I had until Saturday to make my decision. So today my dealer here in VA. was kind enough to let me test drive two Z06's today.

I am not a professional driver, and all of my previous cars were antiques compared to the Z06, my previous driving experience in a new vette was a friends GS. with less HP than my 80 or the 72. I drive pretty hard and give my current cars a good ringing out whenever possible. i jumped on the chance to drive both today.
I drove the A8 first. The automatic performed really nice and we did some spirited back road driving and it felt fantastic. I was impressed as it was my first time in 650-hp auto car that doesn't have to go in a straight line. I went to manual mode and this being my first experience with paddle shifting I thought It performed pretty well but I did find myself wanting it too react quicker and I was already missing the exhaust notes that a manual creates. I like to hear my cars and motorcycles, they are all loud. I returned the A8 with a new respect for a high hp auto street car.

Then I got the M7 car out on the road and immediately felt more at home shifting the car and was way more connected to the car. I didn't push the manual as hard as the A8 not knowing all the of the cars tendencies. The rev matching was pretty nice as you downshift too. obviously, the clutch and shifting feel is fantastic and super easy compared to other cars I've owned. I know the critics of the M7 for its use in 1/4 and 1/8 mile, but it is much much more of a track car not a drag car. I will also "suffer with it traffic jams" to enjoy really driving the car. So for me M7 without hesitation after driving both back to back today. My recommendation to all is that if you've had manuals before and still like to row the gears forget about the A8- its just not worth it.
Hope this helps those that are still undecided and don't care about 1/4 mile times as much as driving a great car.
The auto is nice, it's just not for me!

So my car is finalized!!
Blade Silver Coupe with Black/Grey two tone interior
M7
Jake Stripe
Both tops
3ZR
ZTK Track Pkg
Carbon flash mirrors
as yes CHROME wheels. LOL
Old 04-28-2018, 02:59 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Read the May Car & Driver, the C7 is the last manual Corvette!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:33 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
It's funny how people complain about manuals for traffic. I don't find automatics any easier to drive in traffic, unless the traffic is so slow that I have to clutch in and out, because idle in first gear is too fast. In fact, in many traffic situations, I find manuals easier in traffic. I can drive single pedal, using engine braking, rather than constantly going between gas and brake. I don't find putting an automatic in first or second gear having the same engine braking effect as a manual either. This is coming from someone who drives in Los Angeles traffic. Traffic doesn't get any worse than that.
Micheal..I've been driving manuals for forty years and I can assure you that driving a manual in traffic here in NY city and surrounding areas is more difficult after 45 minutes than an automatic...

For twenty minutes of bumper to bumper it's no big deal...after 45 minutes it's a big difference in a manual...

All depends on what unsuspecting traffic jam you can get into...when it happens...automatic gearboxes of any kind make a huge difference...

I'd still suggest the manual in the zr1 for fun...but at 9/10 this or 3 tenths the A8 is king...

At 7 tenths.,,the manual would be the choice...that's where the torque converter transmissions lose the buyers choice...

That's why I would prefer the dct box in the c8...

Win at the tracks, win at 7/10s mountain pass driving fun ..and a close enough in second place to torque converter automatics in 45 minute or longer bumper to bumper unexpected traffic jams many of encounter in densely populated states...

The zr1 should be a manual for its iconic status as the last great front engine most powerful front engine supercar corvette..

That's how I'd order it...unless I was planning on being a drag racer big time..

The zr1 will be sought after big time by the public with its manual transmission even more so than with the ultra quick A8...

Don't ask me why but the first question every passerby asks is..."is it a manual?"

To the original poster...buy the manual..,you won't regret it...

The power levels are so high...you ll still always feel like superman...even if the dam computer controlled A8 shifts faster than we as humans plus you'll smile for many years to come..

Jmo
Old 04-28-2018, 07:51 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
The Smoking Tire agrees (A8-09:50, M7-10:17):

Last edited by bjmsam; 04-28-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:03 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Amazing review...I also like Carlos Lagos review on edmunds...both in the track and on the road...

The automatics are awesome but both reviewers still suggest the manual m7 would probably be their choice...

For those that choose the A8 ...nothing wrong with that either because froma performance standpoint it's actually slightly superior...

As the car is at 6 minutes and around 20 seconds...the car is actually superior to most drivers capabilities .,...even those of moderately experienced magazine test drivers like Carlos and Matt...."the car goes faster than they can think" whoa!

Unless you are a true race car driver...the zr1 will allow you to spend your lifetime trying to equal the capabilities of this zr1....it's capabilities are that high...and none of my statements are an insult to Matt or Carlos..or any of you guys..

The zr1 is just that amazingly capable...

That car is so capable...I'd probably suggest the manual for fun and Driver involvement...

(Edit) After watching the video a second time...I'd bet left in full auto this thing would be faster than most drivers skill level ...hard to make the transmission choice...holly crap..great videos to watch...(both Matt and Carlos did an excellent job tearing up the track and I love the laughter)

Who ever buys these zr1 s with either transmission are surely lucky guys as long as they don't just keep them on a pedestal in their garages...

Wow wow wow

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-28-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
Read the May Car & Driver, the C7 is the last manual Corvette!
hahaha! I hear this crap on the Porsche board too. It’s the last naturally aspirated GT3. It’s the last manual. Buy them now before they are gone forever even if you have to pay $100k over sticker.

Ask the guys who paid 200k+ over sticker for a 911R because it was the last manual 911 GT3 variant how they are feeling now. They lost their a**.

I’m starting to wonder if the manufacturers feed these rumors to the car mags/etc. to generate an artificial demand? It wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Last edited by QUIKAG; 04-28-2018 at 09:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

hahaha! I hear this crap on the Porsche board too. It’s the last naturally aspirated GT3. It’s the last manual. Buy them now before they are gone forever even if you have to pay $100k over sticker.

Ask the guys who paid 200k+ over sticker for a 911R because it was the last manual 911 GT3 variant how they are feeling now. They lost their a**.

I’m starting to wonder if the manufacturers feed these rumors to the car mags/etc. to generate an artificial demand? It wouldn’t surprise me at all.
The manufacturers marketing departments definitely feed the BS rumors....

It's business plain and simple....

Watching the dam birthday bash video of Jim mero tearing it up at road Atlanta smoking even the Ford GT with a professional race car driver ...in the zR1 with the automatic in full automatic mode ...you can't go wrong with either transmission...

It's really hard to justify driving a manual stepping on the clutch and rowing the gears when the dam car I see faster just selecting drive...

You don't even need to touch the flappy paddles ...

God dam technology is just to advanced....l

Simply amazing

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-28-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I certainly think you made the correct choice. I just couldn't imagine buying a car like this and buying an automatic.

If the C8 isn't available in a manual. A used C7 will be my final sports car to replace my C6, and I'm only 46!

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove A8 and M7 ZO6 today-made my decision for the ZR1

Old 04-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

Ask the guys who paid 200k+ over sticker for a 911R because it was the last manual 911 GT3 variant how they are feeling now. They lost their a**..
- If you want to be an idiot, sure. Or, like the sane ZR1 buyers, you just pay MSRP.

Pointing out that a vehicle is the last of its lineage is not crap, it's observation. You are welcome.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:51 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
- If you want to be an idiot, sure. Or, like the sane ZR1 buyers, you just pay MSRP.

Pointing out that a vehicle is the last of its lineage is not crap, it's observation. You are welcome.
I wasn’t implying you were the purveyor of what I think is crap info. As you said, Road Track is shilling what they are told by various “sources.”

There will be a manual C8 and I’d be willing to put money on it. While the take rate is less than it used to be due to constantly improving automatic transmissions, it’s still significant enough for them to plop in a Tremec or whatever for the % of people who would only buy a manual.
The following users liked this post:
Judgment Day (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:11 PM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Someobe asked what dealership my car was coming from. It Priority Chevy in Chesapeake Va.
Mickey and Shilo or realty good guys.
They treated me well. Pretty funny story that when I decided I was going to purchase a ZR1 which really was in March, allocations were pretty hard to find. I checked all the big names here on the East Coast but they had promised their cars to their clients. Priority was the only dealership in our area that had allocations, they have only received three and I got the last one. So Tidewater Virginia didn’t seem to get many allegations at their dealerships. That will probably change as production increases, So far the only cars I know of in our area is a white coupe, Sebring convertible, and my blade silver. The white one is an automatic The other two are M’s

Quick Reply: Test drove A8 and M7 ZO6 today-made my decision for the ZR1