C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Test drove A8 and M7 ZO6 today-made my decision for the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 03:22 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
Read the May Car & Driver, the C7 is the last manual Corvette!
They said this for years already. Not gonna happen.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

I wasn’t implying you were the purveyor of what I think is crap info. As you said, Road Track is shilling what they are told by various “sources.”

There will be a manual C8 and I’d be willing to put money on it. While the take rate is less than it used to be due to constantly improving automatic transmissions, it’s still significant enough for them to plop in a Tremec or whatever for the % of people who would only buy a manual.

- If the C8 is engineered from the outset for an automated manual it is highly unlikely that a conventional manual will fit the same transaxle in a cost-effective enough way that GM would produce it. It just goes against the grain of manufacturer-think. The only example I can think of where public (American in this case) demand changed a manufacturer's transmission offering was the E60 gen M5. It was released with SMG only, and after a lot of complaining BMW offered a 6spd, but only in America because EU customers didn't care. But that was in a front engine sedan, where production modifications would be much more minimal than in a mid-engined car.

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-28-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:17 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

- If the C8 is engineered from the outset for an automated manual it is highly unlikely that a conventional manual will fit the same transaxle in a cost-effective enough way that GM would produce it. It just goes against the grain of manufacturer-think. The only example I can think of where public (American in this case) demand changed a manufacturer's transmission offering was the E60 gen M5. It was released with SMG only, and after a lot of complaining BMW offered a 6spd, but only in America because EU customers didn't care. But that was in a front engine sedan, where production modifications would be much more minimal than in a mid-engined car.
If you look at how many derivatives and variations there are in each model of the C7, for example in ALL models you can get coupe, vert, auto, manual, spoiler/wing, no spoiler/low wing, etc to MAXIMIZE profit potential of the C7.

Do you REALLY believe they would close the door from the outset on the C8 by designing the car with no manual option availability? Think about that for a minute when comparing the C6 lineup, then the C7 lineup. My C6 ZR1 AND the C6 Z06 was “sacred” enough to only have the manual and fixed roof. How many did they sell in all the years of ZR1? Like 4,500 IIRC. Z06? I think around 25,000 from 2006 to 2013. Not that many. Why? No automatic and no convertible option. Heck, you couldn’t even get targa.

So, GM threw that business plan out with the bath water on the C7 and said we are going to maximize variations on all the different models. They sold a TON.

So, now on the C8, they are going to say screw the manual guys and screw an option that has been on the Vette since basically the very beginning? I don’t think so. It would be dumb of GM and GM is about volume.

Last edited by QUIKAG; 04-28-2018 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Judgment Day (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:38 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
The Smoking Tire agrees (A8-09:50, M7-10:17):
He might reconsider when he figures out the A8 started malfunctioning because it was overheated.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Do you REALLY believe they would close the door from the outset on the C8 by designing the car with no manual option availability?

So, now on the C8, they are going to say screw the manual guys and screw an option that has been on the Vette since basically the very beginning?

- Yes, absolutely.
Mind you, I agree with your points. And I ordered my ZR1 manual, and simply would not have ordered a ZR1 without the manual.

That being said, GM didn't ask my opinion when designing the C8. And BMW didn't ask my opinion when designing the E60 or subsequent auto-tranny M5s (I own an E39 M5). Why? They don't care about my opinion, or yours. And neither did Maclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Porsche (ok, Porsche cared a little), Audi or Mercedes - all of which only offer automatics in their sports cars now.

They care about the math. If 80% of Corvette are sold as automatics, and if the rest of that market segment (the competition) is a higher percentage - most are 100% now, then GM knows they will lose at most 20-25% of existing sales (23% manual sales in CY 2016). But really it won't be that many, because a good half of that 23% will go along with the new auto-tranny car and buy one. It's not like they have an alternative, except to not buy a new sports car (which is my choice).

So worst case scenario GM looks to lose 12% of existing Corvette buyers. The upside? Corvette will now compete "properly" on the world stage by having the same basic architecture as "proper" supercars such as those by Ferrari, Lambo, Maclaren, etc. I guarantee that this will more than make up for that lost 12%, and obviosuly GM has come to the same conclusion.

You are now a dinosaur, just like me.

Last edited by Palantirion; 04-28-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:02 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

- Yes.
Mind you, I agree with your points. And I ordered my ZR1 manual, and simply would not have ordered a ZR1 without the manual.

That being said, GM didn't ask my opinion when designing the C8. And BMW didn't ask my opinion when designing the E60 or subsequent auto-tranny M5s (I own an E39 M5). Why? They don't care about my opinion, or yours. They care about the math. If 80% of Corvette are sold as automatics, and if the rest of that market segment (the competition) is a higher percentage - most are 100% now, then GM knows they will lose at most 20% of existing sales. But really it won't be that many, because a good half of that 20% will go along with the new auto-tranny car and buy one. It's not like they have an alternative, except to not buy a new sports car (which is my choice).

So worst case scenario GM looks to lose 10% of existing Corvette buyers. The upside? Corvette will now compete "properly" on the world stage by having the same basic architecture as "proper" supercars such as those by Ferrari, Lambo, Maclaren, etc. I guarantee that this will more than make up for that lost 10%, and obviosuly GM has come to the same conclusion.

Well, that will really be sad if that’s the case. There are enough auto-manuals in the world. I love the PDK in my 2018 GT3, but there is just something about rowing and/or banging the gears in my ZR1 that makes me smile.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:13 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

- Yes, absolutely.

That being said, GM didn't ask my opinion when designing the C8. And BMW didn't ask my opinion when designing the E60 or subsequent auto-tranny M5s (I own an E39 M5). Why? They don't care about my opinion, or yours. And neither did Maclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Porsche (ok, Porsche cared a little), Audi or Mercedes - all of which only offer automatics in their sports cars now.

They care about the math. If 80% of Corvette are sold as automatics, and if the rest of that market segment (the competition) is a higher percentage - most are 100% now, then GM knows they will lose at most 20-25% of existing sales (23% manual sales in CY 2016). But really it won't be that many, because a good half of that 23% will go along with the new auto-tranny car and buy one. It's not like they have an alternative, except to not buy a new sports car (which is my choice).

So worst case scenario GM looks to lose 12% of existing Corvette buyers. The upside? Corvette will now compete "properly" on the world stage by having the same basic architecture as "proper" supercars such as those by Ferrari, Lambo, Maclaren, etc. I guarantee that this will more than make up for that lost 12%, and obviosuly GM has come to the same conclusion.

The company selling manual transmissions will continue to supply the corvette plant with manual transmissions since 23 percent of all corvettes are sold with manuals...

GM will have a manual transmission available for 7000 buyers a year.

No manufacturer walks away from 7000 customers with money in hand to purchase a specific transmission.

Even Ferrari waited until their cars were sold in single digits before they gave up on manual transmissions ..

GM sells literally 7 thousand manual transmission corvettes a year.

Will it be free? Probably not...I'd imagine if Porsche and Mazda can offer both an automatic and manual transmission..so can the corvette...

The sky is not falling...the naysayers would have you worry for nothing...

7000 manual transmission corvettes per year

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-28-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:24 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Automatic transmission Corvette sells 70%. Manual transmission sells 30%.
JerriVette (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:22 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I back to back daily drive both and 80 percent of the time I drive the M7.
Not hard to decide between the two which is more fun.
Going to get another manual.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:25 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

If Corvette came out with a true dual clutch, I think the number of manuals sold would go down some, maybe low teens.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:19 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I agree. If they had DCT and it worked well, I would choose it over manual.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U
If Corvette came out with a true dual clutch, I think the number of manuals sold would go down some, maybe low teens.
I tend to agree....having been a manual transmission driver for 4 decades...id give the dct a shot buying a c8...

I might do the ten speed automatic converter example...as I hear it's unbelievably well designed...but most probably would buy a manual if no dct is offered...

Low teens for the manual will occur if the dct is offered ...and may even drop even lower by the third year...
Old 04-30-2018, 12:09 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The company selling manual transmissions will continue to supply the corvette plant with manual transmissions since 23 percent of all corvettes are sold with manuals...

GM will have a manual transmission available for 7000 buyers a year.

No manufacturer walks away from 7000 customers with money in hand to purchase a specific transmission.

Even Ferrari waited until their cars were sold in single digits before they gave up on manual transmissions ..

GM sells literally 7 thousand manual transmission corvettes a year.

Will it be free? Probably not...I'd imagine if Porsche and Mazda can offer both an automatic and manual transmission..so can the corvette...

The sky is not falling...the naysayers would have you worry for nothing...

7000 manual transmission corvettes per year
To add...when did 20-25% warrant stopping production altogether? 1 out of 4 or 5 is still a pretty good clip and there's clearly some demand for it. If you want to break it down by model line, the Z06 production rate (to date) is still 1 out of 3 for a manual transmission. That's 9-10x better than the national average, and actually slightly better than the national average 30 years ago. I think Stingrays are at 18% and Grand Sports hover around 21-25%.

Let's not forget initial figures when a new generational vehicle is released for a particular product line (unless we have already). Didn't the Z06 sell/produce like 50% in manuals upon initial release in 2015? Granted, that percentages eventually decreased, but that's the norm with any vehicle once the years pass.
JerriVette (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 AM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I back to back daily drive both and 80 percent of the time I drive the M7. Not hard to decide between the two which is more fun. Going to get another manual.
My brother said the same thing when he was about 55. Fast forward today, two artificial hips, one knee and the other gets scoped twice yearly.

Be smart and think about your health.

Last edited by XpatVetteLover; 05-01-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:04 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by XpatVetteLover
Automatic transmission Corvette sells 70%. Manual transmission sells 30%.
knowing the average age of a Vette owner no doubt

Quick Reply: Test drove A8 and M7 ZO6 today-made my decision for the ZR1