C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Build quality issues already

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:20 PM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

Not sure if his is an isolated issue (if it is in fact an actual issue) but I can confirm my centerlines are as close to perfect as I can tell. I am VERY sensitive to things like this and have yet to find any major issues with my ZR1. Pis below of my engine cover and hood vent.

Where the stanchion mounts for the ZTK wing meet the body color "little spoiler" attached to the rear deck, one of them is higher than the other. Neither are flush, but one has a mm or so more gap (super **** I know, but I did notice upon first inspection). Not a huge deal but I did ask my R8C delivery representative and he got the PDI tech over to look at it. He said "they all go together a little different" and that GM had confirmed small gaps/irregularities where the stanchions meet the body are normal. Pics below of stanchion gaps.

Bottom line: There is ZERO sloppiness on this car

Driver Side Stanchion Mount
Passenger Side Stanchion Mount (More Gap)
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (05-02-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Small details not worry oneself with. Enjoy this amazing feat of engineering (2019 ZR1), many people outside the United States can only dream of owning.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:33 PM
GS owner
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what a clown u are!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:40 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by GS owner
what a clown u are!
Clown of reality? Sure I will take that as a nice gesture of courtesy. Try driving a new Corvette in Brazil and see how far you get from your home before you are assassinated or kidnapped or both.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:51 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I was at the Bash in BG today, during the outside walk around of the ZR1 Tadge made specific references to the carbon fiber engine cover, splitter etc. He said every piece had to be perfect the way the weave goes together and the lines had to be perfect for this car. He was absolutely adamant about it, every ZR1 there today looked very very good.

So no I don't buy this either.
XpatVetteLover (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:02 PM
XpatVetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I was at the Bash in BG today, during the outside walk around of the ZR1 Tadge made specific references to the carbon fiber engine cover, splitter etc. He said every piece had to be perfect the way the weave goes together and the lines had to be perfect for this car. He was absolutely adamant about it, every ZR1 there today looked very very good. So no I don't buy this either.
I believe you.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:55 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
So no I don't buy this either.
did you see the video? It's not like he's telling you and you have to take his word for it.

and not for nothing but it Tadge believes what he said like any good corporate guy what's he gonna say? We know everyone can't be perfect so if a few are not right we'll fix it? No that's what the dealer support network is for. Is it a big deal? Not even close.

On regards to his front splitter being damaged or failing as he put it, I bet that happened coming off the dyno.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:48 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Anything he has to say is of ZERO importance! Like his vids where he is begging people to post them on Corvette Forum so he gets more clicks.
IF A Forum member reports the issue then I'll take a look.
It's been happening more & more lately. If people don't slow their roll shilling for these dillweeds, IB might stop allowing Youtube links.
The following 3 users liked this post by redzone:
BearZ06 (04-29-2018), DebRedZR1 (04-30-2018), Satanspawn (05-14-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:26 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
did you see the video? It's not like he's telling you and you have to take his word for it.

and not for nothing but it Tadge believes what he said like any good corporate guy what's he gonna say? We know everyone can't be perfect so if a few are not right we'll fix it? No that's what the dealer support network is for. Is it a big deal? Not even close.

On regards to his front splitter being damaged or failing as he put it, I bet that happened coming off the dyno.
Did the dyno operator crash it yet? Lol
Would be his 4th or 5th corvette he crashed and blew the guy off
Hopefully these pcm stay locked for good!!!!!
Cars are perfect right from GM!!!

Last edited by blown81bu; 04-29-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:54 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Its not click bait. Video starts silly but a few min in he talks about how the hood line is not lined up with the carbon fiber covers. Thats extremely poor in my opinion and is very visible. I wouldnt take delivery of a car if it looked like that.

again the video is not a joke although it starts like one

I just read all the comments. Can you all please fast forward the video to the part where he shows the concavity of the carbon fiber front engine cover and the line of the hood?
You have no idea if he hasn't pulled the carbon fiber canopy off and reset it wrong on the engine itself. The guy is obviously a meathead and has a propensity of messing around and changing stuff up. His juvenile burnouts says it all. Then he brags about it. Watching the Bash video's of Kai Spande showing the new factory upgrades you can clearly see in the video where a factory worker is installing the carbon fiber canopy using setting gauges for proper alignment. There must be a certain amount of position adjustment allowed in the design of the canopy to readjust it's position. That is typical of all overlays like that. As far as his complaining about the carbon fiber alignment as it curves down over the biguet curve of the canopy, it will never continue the oversquare alignment points that takes place on a planar surface.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:23 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Good Job! ;)

Originally Posted by skank
You have no idea if he hasn't pulled the carbon fiber canopy off and reset it wrong on the engine itself. The guy is obviously a meathead and has a propensity of messing around and changing stuff up. His juvenile burnouts says it all. Then he brags about it. Watching the Bash video's of Kai Spande showing the new factory upgrades you can clearly see in the video where a factory worker is installing the carbon fiber canopy using setting gauges for proper alignment. There must be a certain amount of position adjustment allowed in the design of the canopy to readjust it's position. That is typical of all overlays like that. As far as his complaining about the carbon fiber alignment as it curves down over the biguet curve of the canopy, it will never continue the oversquare alignment points that takes place on a planar surface.
That true GM resource!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

The issue with the center lines of the carbon fiber being off is clearly visible on this video as well. Take a look at minute mark of 1:10 or so. You can see the first and the second carbon fiber pieces of the hood/engine dont line up and its very visible:

The Z (05-05-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
The issue with the center lines of the carbon fiber being off is clearly visible on this video as well. Take a look at minute mark of 1:10 or so. You can see the first and the second carbon fiber pieces of the hood/engine dont line up and its very visible:

https://youtu.be/0hBtFwt4OGI
And you can also see the engine moving on the mounts as the car is under heavy throttle. Not sure if you realize it, but that canopy is a moving part. As the engine moves, and the engine mounts and chassis settle, I'm going to guess it'll shift very slightly.
This seems to be an incredibly petty thing to worry about, but I'm somehow not entirely surprised.
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
Aerovette (05-02-2018), NewYuriCity (05-02-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

In another thread someone posted a link to the install instructions for the performance air intake. A part of the install is to remove the SC cover and they specifically show you where to mark the current location with tape in three places so it goes back on in the correct spot. That tells me that the SC cover has some adjustment in placement and if he really cared he could just fix it himself. I'm with the others that it is entirely possible that he removed the SC cover himself and didn't quite get it back on in the correct spot.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:23 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
And you can also see the engine moving on the mounts as the car is under heavy throttle. Not sure if you realize it, but that canopy is a moving part. As the engine moves, and the engine mounts and chassis settle, I'm going to guess it'll shift very slightly.
This seems to be an incredibly petty thing to worry about, but I'm somehow not entirely surprised.
S.
I hope to have this problem by august.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:28 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by rob62
I hope to have this problem by august.
me too!!!!!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:11 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Livinlife
The only problem with this is he needs views for $$$$. Controversy is king in his world. I'm not buying this bs rant!
Bingo!

And his roll race vids are as much entertainment as anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Build quality issues already

Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
Not sure if his is an isolated issue (if it is in fact an actual issue) but I can confirm my centerlines are as close to perfect as I can tell. I am VERY sensitive to things like this and have yet to find any major issues with my ZR1. Pis below of my engine cover and hood vent.

Where the stanchion mounts for the ZTK wing meet the body color "little spoiler" attached to the rear deck, one of them is higher than the other. Neither are flush, but one has a mm or so more gap (super **** I know, but I did notice upon first inspection). Not a huge deal but I did ask my R8C delivery representative and he got the PDI tech over to look at it. He said "they all go together a little different" and that GM had confirmed small gaps/irregularities where the stanchions meet the body are normal. Pics below of stanchion gaps.

Bottom line: There is ZERO sloppiness on this car

Driver Side Stanchion Mount
Passenger Side Stanchion Mount (More Gap)
Not sure your stantions are mounted properly. Is there supposed to be any gap? I thought in other pics I've seen, they mount flush with the deck.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:08 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
Not sure your stantions are mounted properly. Is there supposed to be any gap? I thought in other pics I've seen, they mount flush with the deck.
Those gaps don't look right, someone screwed up the installation (at the dealer).
Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Those gaps don't look right, someone screwed up the installation (at the dealer).
The ZR1's at the bash looked the same so I don't think this is an issue.

Quick Reply: Build quality issues already