C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Unable to pump gas - fill tank

Old 08-24-2022, 07:17 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Unable to pump gas - fill tank

This one has me thinking. I actually let my fuel tank go down to the E on my last drive and then parked it in the garage as a series of 95 degree days passed so expect there was some vapor pressure in the tank. When I tried to fill it today the gas station the pump instantly shut off as the gas spit back out. I expect the "door" which prevents the tank from venting out the filling pipe while it is parked must have remained closed. I tried 4 different gas pumps and hose assemblies.. Same story..

I'm about to try and push in the long filing tube of the funnel assembly that I use for pumping in 109 octane fuel at the track to see if I can get the valve to open and relieve the back pressure.

Your experience and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Kev
Old 08-25-2022, 08:59 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Did you try that little funnel insert that they supply with your car? I'd see if that will go all the way in. Might relieve the tank pressure if it's the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Repo Pilot (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 10:33 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Default Zr1

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
This one has me thinking. I actually let my fuel tank go down to the E on my last drive and then parked it in the garage as a series of 95 degree days passed so expect there was some vapor pressure in the tank. When I tried to fill it today the gas station the pump instantly shut off as the gas spit back out. I expect the "door" which prevents the tank from venting out the filling pipe while it is parked must have remained closed. I tried 4 different gas pumps and hose assemblies.. Same story..

I'm about to try and push in the long filing tube of the funnel assembly that I use for pumping in 109 octane fuel at the track to see if I can get the valve to open and relieve the back pressure.

Thanks - Kev
I have a similar issue on my 16 Z06. Rotating the nozzle 180 degrees up seems to work for me. Filling it slowly helps as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by Thomasmoto:
LagunaSecaZ06 (09-01-2022), Repo Pilot (08-25-2022), ZR-1DUDE (08-29-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 11:54 AM
1FstC7GS
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the same issue with my Grand Sport. For some reason, some station fuel pumps nozzles need to be inverted for it to not trip the release to put in fuel. However, if you do this, DON'T FILL IT FAST as it will have a tendency to back splash when it reaches the full level.
Repo Pilot (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 12:33 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks gents - Since the fuel gage is now showing below the "E", step 1 will be adding a gallon using the fairly long funnel I have handy as I'm not sure where the funnel that came with the car ended up
Old 08-25-2022, 02:07 PM
1FstC7GS
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On delivery, (unless you moved it) the funnel is stored in the space at the left rear corner of the "trunk."
Old 08-26-2022, 07:41 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Did you try that little funnel insert that they supply with your car? I'd see if that will go all the way in. Might relieve the tank pressure if it's the problem.
Not aware of this ! I’ll have to look for it.
@Repo Pilot i have had similar experiences.
Repo Pilot (08-27-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 08:27 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Oh wow, I thought my gas station was bad. I have had this issue (need to invert the nozzle) since day one on and off.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:33 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I have the same issue where I need to invert the nozzle sometimes, typically with older pumps. I always feel like an idiot standing there with my upside-down nozzle. Sometimes pulling the trigger slowly will help, but not always. DRIVES ME NUTS! My Focus RS and Jeep also have capless gas fillers and I have the same issue with them as well, but it seems more frequent with the Vette. Did I mention it's super annoying?
Old 08-26-2022, 08:56 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Not aware of this ! I’ll have to look for it.
@Repo Pilot i have had similar experiences.
So far I've only used it to put fuel stabilizer in the tank for winter storage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16554760328...ntid=119238636

The following 3 users liked this post by Zjoe6:
DebRedZR1 (08-30-2022), LagunaSecaZ06 (09-01-2022), Repo Pilot (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 07:32 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
So far I've only used it to put fuel stabilizer in the tank for winter storage.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16554760328...ntid=119238636

I did find this little funnel right where you said it would be in the little covered storage pocket on the left-rear side of the storage area. That's where the good news stops.

I inserted it into the filler and felt it get past the first and second valve. I added gas ever so slowly adding maybe a quarter cup at a time and was able to get about a gallon of it in when then it backed up and overflowed again. I'm assuming there must be another valve entering the tank.that did not open under the weight of the fuel in the filler pipe. I did this with the master power switch off. So I guess I will drive down to the closest dealer about 10 miles away tomorrow morning and see of they have a low flat trailer we can crank the car onto and get it to the dealership.

My bumper-to-bumper warrantee is still active for another few months and I'm hoping that it will cover the repair and the power-train warrantee will not be applicable

Thoughts??? Thanks - Kev

Old 08-27-2022, 12:37 AM
Leroyt10
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe their is a check valve at the bottom of the fuel fill pipe to prevent fuel slosh from backwashing into the fuel filler pipe. I would first try tapping lightly on the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet which may free up a sticking lower check valve. Also a short blast of shop air into the fill pipe may dislodge the check valve.
Another suggestion is to insert the aux. funnel and then insert a small 1/4" rubber fuel hose to push open the lower check valve. Make sure you insert the hose with the aux funnel installed or you will never be able to remove it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Leroyt10:
LagunaSecaZ06 (09-01-2022), Repo Pilot (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 08:26 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Check out post #5. You'd think you would be throwing codes if you had an emmisions issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-gas-tank.html

Last edited by Zjoe6; 08-27-2022 at 10:32 AM.
kevin nevius (08-27-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 10:57 PM
C7rob
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Invert the filler nozzle.

I have the same problem when I let the tank run down too low. Just turn the nozzle upside down and the problem goes away. Putting the gas in fast is no issue—its the direction of the hose.
Repo Pilot (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 08:55 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C7rob
I have the same problem when I let the tank run down too low. Just turn the nozzle upside down and the problem goes away. Putting the gas in fast is no issue—its the direction of the hose.
Wow - The car is being transported to the dealer today. I'll try and get the transporter to stop and try that on the way. I'm worried about trying to drive it as the fuel quantity gauge is barely off the peg and is showing a needle-width less than Empty
Old 08-30-2022, 04:11 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Wow - The car is being transported to the dealer today. I'll try and get the transporter to stop and try that on the way. I'm worried about trying to drive it as the fuel quantity gauge is barely off the peg and is showing a needle-width less than Empty
dayum Kev. Please update us ( I know you will ) . Note to self : don’t let gas get low.
Repo Pilot (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 10:36 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Thanks - Kev
This is certainly not what we like to hear, Repo Pilot. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your vehicle. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: Repo Pilot/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to pump gas - fill tank

Old 09-04-2022, 08:23 PM
samgauto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Happens at Mobil stations only, not Sunoco. Not sure why.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:19 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

I had the same problem at several gas stations and at home using a long-necked funnel I use for filling the car with the contents of a 5-gallon can of racing fuel.

I also tried several of the suggestions in this thread unsuccessfully before I finally put it on a traiter and moved it to a local Chevy dealer with whom I had talked to face-to-face about the problem and the steps I had tried unsuccessfully.

Then GM Support jumped in with their offer to help.(see above). I followed their instructions accordingly and am waiting for a return message or email from them.

Of course I will keep the forum informed of what happens and the steps they/GM takes to isolate and resolve the problem..

Old 09-12-2022, 06:57 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Update

The gracious GM support team who monitors the forum and forwarded my problem to the mother ship. Once again, thanks a Mill for that .

And as I also posted, the mother ship responded with an email to me and said while they would be glad to work with the dealer on troubleshooting it they gently reminded me I was a very bad man for doing things like installing non-delco spark-plugs and plug wires on my ZR and that they were unable to help financially other than working with the dealer in troubleshooting the problem.They made it clear that was not the same thing as providing any financial assistance ...MY WORDS AND NOT THEIRS=.because of my crimes against the state of installing some alternate brand name components including those that came from "GM licensed and recommended GM performance dealers"..

So moving right along now, I let them know last week that it was taking the ZR to xxxx dealer who were going to begin the trouble-shooting.today. So I just had to ask the Service Manager if he or the assigned mechanic had been contacted be GM to help troubleshoot the problem. I just got one of those "Ground Control to Major Toms" looks and I could hear crickets in the background.

Well there is always tomorrow, right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unable to pump gas - fill tank