C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:59 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default No! ;)

Originally Posted by Xanthophyll
Meanwhile in Stuttgart:

Weissach....Callaway

Weissach....Callaway

Weissach....Callaway!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-03-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

JVP, while I trust you are in the know somewhat, whats the reason for going back after the car has been on sale? Future calibrations?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

We will see a time not just right now. I think there is so much hype right now around the release of the car with ppl falling over themselves to get one that the last thing they want is to run a shitty time and blow that hype out of the water... JMHO
Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by keagan
JVP, while I trust you are in the know somewhat, whats the reason for going back after the car has been on sale? Future calibrations?
Yep. For instance, as we've seen: the MRC system for previous model year cars got a complete overhaul with lots of updates/upgrades. Part of that was likely due to their trip(s) to Germany. They're always working on ways to improve the car within reason.

To be perfectly fair, I'm not really keen on them spending the cash and hauling a car and couple of guys over to the 'Ring. BTW, it's usually just Jim and maybe 1 or 2 other engineers. That versus a seeming racing team from the likes of Porsche. In my opinion, it makes more sense (and cents) to save their money, choose 3-5 other tracks here in the states, and do their validation work on those. There's just too much stupidity involved when it comes to the 'Ring, and we're seeing parts of that right here on the forum, from a bunch of armchair racers who have no intentions of ever buying a ZR1.

Eliminate it completely and beat the snot out of the car here in the states. Call it good.

But that's my opinion. I'm not on the "decision making" team. ;-)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

That was another question I had. Why not do the validation right on the US tracks where most of the customers will be tracking. Will they eventually stop using the Ring and just do their validations at the major tracks in the US? I think GM is probably the last American automaker who had interest in posting fast times over there. No Ford GT, No ACR times and the absence of any 7th Generation Corvette times is telling.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Will they eventually stop using the Ring and just do their validations at the major tracks in the US?
I wouldn't even begin to speculate on that. I honestly have no idea whether they'd even remotely consider ceasing the expensive trips to Germany.

Last edited by jvp; 05-03-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

That was another question I had. Why not do the validation right on the US tracks where most of the customers will be tracking. Will they eventually stop using the Ring and just do their validations at the major tracks in the US? I think GM is probably the last American automaker who had interest in posting fast times over there. No Ford GT, No ACR times and the absence of any 7th Generation Corvette times is telling.
I also call BS on going to Germany for "validation". that is a load of crap. They can do that here. The car is not in development! They went to set a time and it must have been less than desired. They were there long enough and even gave up the track time on a perfect day! Right now the internet world sees 7:12. A car magazine did 7:13 with the Z06. Maybe we'll wait for them to test the ZR1 too.
The following users liked this post:
Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
To be perfectly fair, I'm not really keen on them spending the cash and hauling a car and couple of guys over to the 'Ring. BTW, it's usually just Jim and maybe 1 or 2 other engineers. That versus a seeming racing team from the likes of Porsche. In my opinion, it makes more sense (and cents) to save their money, choose 3-5 other tracks here in the states, and do their validation work on those. There's just too much stupidity involved when it comes to the 'Ring, and we're seeing parts of that right here on the forum, from a bunch of armchair racers who have no intentions of ever buying a ZR1.
So why do they insist on going over to Germany for "testing and validation" if there are no ulterior motivations? As many have pointed out in this and other threads, they could certainly do that type of testing in the USA. Occam's razor would lead one to believe that they are there to get a decent time, and use the fallback excuse of "well we're not here to set a record, we're just here for testing" if things don't work out.

Last edited by Xanthophyll; 05-03-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:49 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ted P
I also call BS on going to Germany for "validation". that is a load of crap. They can do that here. The car is not in development! They went to set a time and it must have been less than desired. They were there long enough and even gave up the track time on a perfect day! Right now the internet world sees 7:12. A car magazine did 7:13 with the Z06. Maybe we'll wait for them to test the ZR1 too.
That would be a looooooong wait. It’s kinda hard to drop the whole Ring thing since the 6th Generation and even the Camaro and CTS-V got times. Ever since that Ring ban thing happened, it all went down hill from there except for team camaro.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:00 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

GM had no problems getting a time for the new ZL1....just sayin
Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

There is only one reason GM hasn't released a lap time.

7:01.3 Dodge Viper ACR (2017) ZR1 is slower.

Flame me all you want, I still very much want a ZR1, no I could care less what the ZR1 time around a track I will never drive on is. But if you think for one second the ZR1 did a sub 7 minute time around the ring and GM just doesn't want to boast about it, you're just kidding yourself.

Flame suit on
Old 05-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate

Flame me all you want, I still very much want a ZR1, no I could care less what the ZR1 time around a track I will never drive on is. But if you think for one second the ZR1 did a sub 7 minute time around the ring and GM just doesn't want to boast about it, you're just kidding yourself.

Flame suit on
I'm guessing if they got below a 7 they would have posted the video. I also believe jvp that their #1 goal wasn't to get a hotlap video. I don't think the Viper was a big factor or goal of theirs. Fact remains if their main goal was to get the fastest lap time in and to post a video of it, they probably wouldn't have lent their track time to Porsche. That's something you do when you've done what you came to do.

Unless it's also possible they were trying an A8 car and perhaps the transmission fluid heat was catching up to them, hence lending their track time while their car cooled down? That could also explain why they didn't get below a 7 during their validation/testing. I'm sure they got below a 7:12 though - like somewhere between a 7 and 7:10 but have no reason to post about it since the car is capable of more.

Last edited by Achmed; 05-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I don't know what your point actually is (I don't think you do, either). It's no secret that I'm in pretty tight with the engineering team at GM. And I can assure you that they go to tracks for engineering and validation. Not to set "fast laps". Hell, Jim himself has said it here in the "Ask Tadge" section. Tadge has said it multiple times publicly. But somehow, some way, the peanut gallery here at Corvette Forum knows more than the folks at GM or I do.

Believe what you like. You're wrong, of course, but feel free to keep believing it. No matter how many times I tell you that the sky is blue, you're going to insist that it's pink.

Its pretty obvious you do not know as much as you let on and none of your insults or grandstanding will change that. The ZR1 already did testing last year when it was in camo. This trip was for a timed event. Don't try to down play it just like you did the Z06 when a time wasn't released. This article and the words from Tadge are all you need to know.

"Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter told me that while the record run is not a priority for them, they will do it sometime after the car goes on sale next spring, hoping to break the seven minute barrier."

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/...ill-back-2018/
Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
from a bunch of armchair racers who have no intentions of ever buying a ZR1.

That has ZERO to do with the topic in any way. The standard for this type of car, the automotive press, and the market they are targeting weighs heavily on "the 'ring time".

The hype over the ZR1, no doubt heavily influenced by the GM marketing dept, has the ZR1 being a supercar, or a supercar killer and all available at a fraction of the price of others capable of running that fast..

But how fast? We don't know because GM hasn't offered up a "ring time. They were there, Porsche ran it and set the mark. GM was there and it's silence.

Either run with the big dogs or get back on the porch in this game.

BTW, I own a GS, no intention of ever owning a ZR1 but I am a huge chevy racing fan in all forms. Their are one hell of a lot of eyes watching what's going on right now, far more than exist in this forum alone.

Last edited by Mcrider; 05-03-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe they decided not to publish a time to avoid hurting mid-engine marketing efforts next year
Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Ruz
Race Director

Received 265 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
Maybe they decided not to publish a time to avoid hurting mid-engine marketing efforts next year

Would you like another group of straws to grasp at??
Old 05-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruz

Would you like another group of straws to grasp at??
Need some cheese with all that whine?

Get notified of new replies

To What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?

Old 05-03-2018, 04:51 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
GM had no problems getting a time for the new ZL1....just sayin
The ZL1 had a newer eLSD. And the 1LE had the MR shocks removed for Spool Valves. It has been said to be stiff as Heck.
A stiff ZR1 could probably drop 60% of its buyers.
Tadge told us they kept the ZR1 streetable in ride.
Tadge and company knows the ring presents many additional challenges, as they have said.
They Never had any intention of running the C7 over there, Obviously! Big companies can execute relatively little things.

And amazed at whats his faces post. He really is only ignorant to me.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate

I doubt on an unfettered lap that the ZR1 is slower than the ACR-E at the Ring. Too many sections where the ZR1 can make up time.

The ACR-E is a turd in 5th gear which you have to use over 140 or so MPH. The Ring is not the best place for an ACR-E to show off.

The corner speeds are going to be quite comparable. Corvette's work really well. I am not saying the ZR1 will hands down smash an ACR-E but I doubt it will be slower at the Ring.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Yep. For instance, as we've seen: the MRC system for previous model year cars got a complete overhaul with lots of updates/upgrades. Part of that was likely due to their trip(s) to Germany. They're always working on ways to improve the car within reason.

Eliminate it completely and beat the snot out of the car here in the states. Call it good.

But that's my opinion. I'm not on the "decision making" team. ;-)
And the reason GM spent the money to ship the ZR1 to Germany to run around the Ring for "validation" purposes is because they plan on selling so many ZR1's in Germany that it will make your head spin right off your shoulders....... right on...if you believe that crap, since the ZR1 will not meet European laws and cannot be imported into Europe.

Porsche does not need to 'test' their cars at the Ring, as VW has a huge test track in Germany. Porsche gets the importance of a Ring time as does GM. The difference it that Porsche is capable of getting the impressive times. It's all about marketing your products folks. Marketing, not "validation".

GM has failed marketing 101.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018), snow (05-04-2018), Xanthophyll (05-03-2018)

Quick Reply: What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?