C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default The C6 ZR1! :0

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Regarding your Z06.....you do realize that it is the only car in the world to go under 7:18 at the Ring without a rear wing? Everything else needed some sort of substantial rear wing (also showing how important a wing is on a car for ultimate track times). That is a huge accomplishment when it was tested by a German magazine and was far from a perfect run or all out effort IMO. The Z06 is a serious piece of equipment.
Went under 7:20s with a trim spoiler!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-31-2018 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:09 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
I don't think using Randy Pobst's time at Road Atlanta is a good benchmark for what the ZR1 is capable of. The fact that a reasonably competent driver (Pobst) was able to break a track record in less than a day of driving a car brand new to him is absolutely astounding, and I'm sure if Mero or one of the Corvette Racing drivers took the car for a spin it would be a much more significant margin. As far as extracting lap time to predict a lap time at another track... that never really works. Hopefully GM releases a time, but if not then hopefully Sport Auto gets their hands on an example to thrash about
That Road Atlanta lap might not have been perfect... for a number of reasons. But to call Pobst reasonably competent is ridiculous. 5 pro championships and 90 pro wins isn't enough for you?
The following 2 users liked this post by traind:
desmophile (05-31-2018), redzone (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:52 PM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

The GT2RS might be everyone here's "benchmark" but I don't call a car with an auto the "ringleader".
Old 05-31-2018, 04:53 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by traind
That Road Atlanta lap might not have been perfect... for a number of reasons. But to call Pobst reasonably competent is ridiculous. 5 pro championships and 90 pro wins isn't enough for you?
Sensitive are we? Yes Pobst is a great driver, and it's really impressive how he came up from autocross to truly become a pro driver but at least within the last few years as he's taken on more of a "journalists" role he hasn't really been able to extract the most out of any of the Corvettes he's driven; either that or he remembers he's a factory Porsche guy
Old 05-31-2018, 05:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default If Pobst was Really being serious?

He wouldn't have knuckle headed PTM 'off' in a heavy streetcar, Again!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
The GT2RS might be everyone here's "benchmark" but I don't call a car with an auto the "ringleader".
Is this an attempt to cling onto Viper's Ring time as anything less than disappointing? There won't be any Manuals (unfortunately) in the near future for true sports cars.

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
He wouldn't have knuckle headed PTM 'off' in a heavy streetcar, Again!
Actual racer's (in my experience) typically do not use PTM/Traction Control, it's preference, the systems get more and more advanced, really challenging that you'd be faster without... so it can just come down to preference. I don't like running with it on... unsettles the car in my experience, but if I grew up 'driving cars without Traction control'... you have others who are coming up only knowing traction control/PTM and thus are faster with it than without.

Randy is a phenomenal driver, and frankly I'd take him over Mero any day. One is an Engineer.. the other a Pro.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 05-31-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The car looked loose and bad! ;)

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Actual racer's (in my experience) typically do not use PTM/Traction Control, it's preference, the systems get more and more advanced, really challenging that you'd be faster without... so it can just come down to preference. I don't like running with it on... unsettles the car in my experience, but if I grew up 'driving cars without Traction control'... you have others who are coming up only knowing traction control/PTM and thus are faster with it than without.

Randy is a phenomenal driver, and frankly I'd take him over Mero any day. One is an Engineer.. the other a Pro.

Best Regards,
Dave
Guys are afraid of it and demonstrating loose wiggles was counterproductive. Road and Track report such.
Mero, and company, uses PTM at The Ring.
Cars use AWD and AWS and comparing with them without it is stupid! He has he is.
Besides Dave chassis ABS stability, eLSD, and MR don't disengage - EVER!

Too much weight in this Street car isn't making it through The Ring.... Unsettled. That 1:51 justified it, period.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-01-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:55 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Guys are afraid of it and demonstrating loose wiggles was counterproductive. Road and Track report such.
Mero, and company, uses PTM at The Ring.
Cars use AWD and AWS and comparing with them without it is stupid! He has he is.
Besides Dave chassis ABS stability, eLSD, and MR don't disengage - EVER!

Too much weight in this Strret car isn't making it through The Ring.... Unsettled. That 1:51 justified it, period.
I do agree with you, that cars use ABS, AWD, RWS & eLSD (for those equipped) without the ability to disengage... but most do offer the ability to remove stability and traction control from an 'acceleration' perspective.

But again, agree that the 'gap' is narrowing on how much can actually be turned off.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Pobst used to compete without ABS! ;)

I do agree with you, that cars use ABS, AWD, RWS & eLSD (for those equipped) without the ability to disengage... but most do offer the ability to remove stability and traction control from an 'acceleration' perspective.

But again, agree that the 'gap' is narrowing on how much can actually be turned off.

Best Regards,
Dave
He is still bored PTM 'off', I'm sure. The GM driver made him look silly (Okay)!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-02-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Oh I forgot you're The Porsche man! ;)

Best Regards,
Dave
After the GT2 RS run a guy here said the electronics were turned off. Being I'm a 911 conesuar from way back I said it at least had the AWS on.
Porsche had comprehensive information on their website so I got busy.
Anyway, the Porsche's used stability braking at entry and the eLSD at exit the last I checked.

They burn a whole lot of rear brakes on track.

And one guy was real surprised to find out that his GT3 electronics were fouling up a his dyno when they were supposed to be off.

NO 911 DRIVER DID THAT RING MAGIC WITHOUT A WHOLE LOT OF HELP! THE 991 JUST FINALLY GOT ITS ELECTRONIC DUCKS IN A ROW - NOTHING MUCH HAD CHANGED SINCE RANDY SPUN OUT THE GT3 RS at LS TWICE (career first).
Truth be told (Gap!?)!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:11 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

After the GT2 RS run a guy here said the electronics were turned off. Being I'm a 911 conesuar from way back I said it at least had the AWS on.
Porsche had comprehensive information on their website so I got busy.
Anyway, the Porsches used stability braking at entry and the eLSD at exit.

They burn a whole lot of rear brakes on track.

And one guy was real surprised to find out that his GT3 electronics were fouling up a his dyno when they were supposed to be off.

NO 911 DRIVER DID THAT RING MAGIC WITHOUT A WHOLE LOT OF HELP! THE 991 JUST FINALLY GOT ITS ELECTRONIC DUCKS IN A ROW - NOTHING MUCH HAD CHANGED SINCE RANDY SPUN OUT THE GT3 RS at LS TWICE (career first).
Truth be told (Gap!?)!
Some of this is accurate... You cannot turn off RWS, or eDiff, the rest is 100% defeatable.

The reason they use up rear brakes is because people leave stability control ON.

The cars electronics kick in on the dyno, only if the front wheels aren't rolling, if you use an AWD dyno, they dyno fine, or you need a PIWIS to put the car in dyno mode.

I race a corvette, I'm a car guy.

I for one have said all along, I believed the zr1 should break 7 minutes... I'm not sure why GM hasn't posted a time, quit trying to make the A8 a track car... Use the M7, and smash the viper time.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-01-2018, 06:28 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Without digging back through again! ;)

Some of this is accurate... You cannot turn off RWS, or eDiff, the rest is 100% defeatable.

The reason they use up rear brakes is because people leave stability control ON.

The cars electronics kick in on the dyno, only if the front wheels aren't rolling, if you use an AWD dyno, they dyno fine, or you need a PIWIS to put the car in dyno mode.

I race a corvette, I'm a car guy.

I for one have said all along, I believed the zr1 should break 7 minutes... I'm not sure why GM hasn't posted a time, quit trying to make the A8 a track car... Use the M7, and smash the viper time.

Best Regards,
Dave
Let me just say the Corvette's chassis controls are Always working. Like GM basically said, a driver doesn't have individual control over each shock, brake, and diff power delivery, the computer does. What do they do off? All work the same! So the eLSD just stays open like the Mclaren's without the braking, and TC!?
God help them in a 911!
Heck, again, if the 911 could just slip it around The Ring the 997 GT2 RS would have been far more successful. The tail happy 911 mid engined in the race car!?
911 guys are always fun and you're better than the last one - but No Cigar!

And

The M7 fast arguments based on!? There's simply is no precedent for it, but, the 1:51 certainly does a lot to delegitimize it!

(The last powerful Porsche (GT) with nothing killed someone!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-01-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

And

The M7 fast arguments based on!? There's simply is no precedent for it, but, the 1:51 certainly does a lot to delegitimize it!

(The last powerful Porsche (GT) with nothing killed someone!)
Powerful cars, when nannies switched off, definitely have a higher probability of injury.

As for the M7 fast argument, it's just based on years of racing, you don't see Automatics on the race track. Yes, they can do a hot lap (or 5 even ) So I think for 'one lap' yes, the A8 will be a couple of tenth's quicker. But the Manual trans while in some cases will be 'ultimately slower', if you're going lap after lap (or in the case of the ring, 13 miles flat out) the Manual trans may ultimately stay cooler, and thus produce an overall quicker time.

For comparison, Pobst was .3 tenths slower around Willow in the Manual car, vs. PDK. And Porsche was 3 seconds slower between the two at the Ring.

GM posted a very fast ZL1 1LE time with a Manual around the ring, and Sport Auto's Z06 time was with a Manual around the ring.

I 'think' we'd all be willing to give up a couple seconds to at least have a time, as again, I don't see how a ZR1 with a Manual wouldn't be significantly quicker than the Viper Ring time.

Best Regards,
Dave
rb185afm (06-06-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:39 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default He likesum auto! ;)

Even full auto when best served, it seems. Pobst shifts the 488 too!
True the Viper got down there, and if all you think is in the Vette is a couple more then sure the manual.
If your looking for that more Viper trouncing, Safer!

Thanks!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:39 AM
ViperFan1
Racer

Is this an attempt to cling onto Viper's Ring time as anything less than disappointing? There won't be any Manuals (unfortunately) in the near future for true sports cars.

Best Regards,
Dave
Name:  kn5FaDS.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  21.0 KB

According to Car and Driver, Fiat Chrysler is quite keen on developing a new Viper to square off with the Chevrolet Corvette.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...550-hp-v8.html

In an effort to set itself apart from the competition, FCA is eyeing a manual transmission for the next-gen Viper. It’s not clear if the car will be manual only, or if it will have an automatic transmission option.

Last edited by ViperFan1; 06-01-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

https://youtu.be/NYXDseXBTuc
https://youtu.be/JM8Q2_DKlDs

Even full auto when best served, it seems. Pobst shifts the 488 too!
True the Viper got down there, and if all you think is in the Vette is a couple more then sure the manual.
If your looking for that more Viper trouncing, Safer!

Thanks!
You're comparing 'DCT' to Automatic? I don't see those as the same.

Originally Posted by ViperFan1

According to Car and Driver, Fiat Chrysler is quite keen on developing a new Viper to square off with the Chevrolet Corvette.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...550-hp-v8.html
I'll hold my breath on any new Viper coming. FCA has enough challenges.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 06-01-2018 at 08:11 PM.
ViperFan1 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Excuse me Dave you were on board with the eLSD being on.

Best Regards,
Dave
I went kind of off on a tangent and lost you. This is what I meant. These Porsche suckers are so full of gizmos I can't even believe it.
Anyway, PTV uses stability braking on entry.
https://www.porsche.com/australia/mo...plus-ptv-plus/

He likes Autos, and told me that here!

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-03-2018 at 10:12 AM.
ViperFan1 (06-02-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?

Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Best Regards,
Dave
Agreed on both accounts...
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a21052484/sergio-marchionne-new-dodge-viper-not-in-the-plan/

Is it possible GM is waiting for Michelin to develop the same compound tires Porsche used in Corvette sizes for a fairer comparison?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 06-01-2018 at 08:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PRE-Z06:
CorvettoBrando (06-02-2018), ViperFan1 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:00 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Why Pobst would be better PTM off setting a time!? ;)

Best Regards,
Dave
The GM driver seems to have known the car well enough not to have set PTM even once doing that 1:51. (The Ring!)
But, Pobst doesn't know the car and figures he would set it more so he turns it off so at a minimum he doesn't suffer the indignity. Those wiggles would probably have set it so he was right! He was a Man!
Excuse me!?

Here he is:
We find that the calibration settings that achieve the fastest lap times often result in expert drivers feeling like they are being held back slightly on corner exit. Most of the time that extra little bit of slip that an expert driver wants is over the traction peak of the tire and may feel good but is wasting forward acceleration. The restrictive feeling is not there as a safety net, rather, it’s as close as we can operate to the peak capability of the tire in a robust way.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-02-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:39 AM
ViperFan1
Racer

Best Regards,
Dave
You called it Dave!

http://www.thedrive.com/news/21258/f...ot-in-the-plan
Dave Schotz (06-02-2018)

Quick Reply: What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?