What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?

Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #1  
blue_bomber697
CF Senior Member

Default What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?

They car arrived there about a month ago. Why haven't we gotten a ring time yet? Porsche was there for about 40 minutes, lapped the track 4 times and were done. Got there GT3 RS ring time, and released a video.

GM was there for several weeks. Are they still there? If not, what is taking so long? Even if they didn't get sub 7, its silly not to release their best time... After all, right now everyone seems to think they got a 7:12. Surely they'd like to dispel that rumour...

Last edited by blue_bomber697; 05-03-2018 at 10:29 AM.
blue_bomber697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #2  
rob62
CF Senior Member

Russian collusion I suspect .
rob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob62 For This Useful Post:
Bwright (05-03-2018), GS60th#47 (06-05-2018), StancyPants (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #3  
BearZ06
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob62 View Post
russian collusion i suspect .
lol!
BearZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BearZ06 For This Useful Post:
GS60th#47 (06-05-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #4  
Xanthophyll
CF Senior Member

Evidently GM is only there for testing and validation....and to pay for Porsche's track time while the GM engineers watch and take notes.

Rumor has it that Porsche also took the lunch money of the GM engineers in the process.
Xanthophyll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xanthophyll For This Useful Post:
5abivt (05-06-2018), OutlawMotorsports (05-05-2018), Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #5  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member

Default Right-on! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bomber697 View Post
They car arrived there about a month ago. Why haven't we gotten a ring time yet? Porsche was there for about 40 minutes, lapped the track 4 times and were done. Got there GT3 RS ring time, and released a video.

GM was there for several weeks. Are they still there? If not, what is taking so long? Even if they didn't get sub 7, its silly not to release their best time... After all, right now everyone seems to think they got a 7:12. Surely they'd like to dispel that rumour...
You get what you pay for!?
Good Job, and keep it up!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.
johnglenntwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #6  
OVR60
CF Senior Member

Did anyone ask this question about ring time at the Bash or did they avoid answering it ?
OVR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #7  
Bwright
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthophyll View Post
Evidently GM is only there for testing and validation....and to pay for Porsche's track time while the GM engineers watch and take notes.

Rumor has it that Porsche also took the lunch money of the GM engineers in the process.
Bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #8  
URBAN LEGEND
CF Senior Member

Did GM say a time was coming? There might not be anything coming out like the Z06.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #9  
fleming23
CF Senior Member

It is not as easy as just going out, setting a lap, and packing it up for the day... Go to Youtube and search Viper Nurburgring documentary, the video is called "The Story of Viper's Return to the Green Hell." That video shows just how difficult it is to get a single flying lap in at that place.
fleming23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleming23 For This Useful Post:
StancyPants (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #10  
Xanthophyll
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
It is not as easy as just going out, setting a lap, and packing it up for the day...
Yes, of course, but evidently that's EXACTLY what Porsche did. On GM's dime no less.

According to the R&T article, Porsche showed up, did a sub 7-minute lap, then did two more. While the GM crew stood there and looked dumbfounded.

"Test driver Lars Kern went out and set a 6:59 in his first run, at which point Porsche GT cars boss Andreas Preuninger told his team they could pack up and go home. Kern and factory driver Kevin Estre thought there was more time in the car, though, so they went back out for three more laps. The next lap was another 6:59, then a 6:57, and finally, Estre set a 6:56.4. At that point, the Porsche team left, and as Motormouth reports it, the Corvette crew was left stunned."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...corvette-time/

I really, really hope GM announces a respectable time for the ZR-1. We all know they can do it.

Last edited by Xanthophyll; 05-03-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: formatting
The Following User Says Thank You to Xanthophyll For This Useful Post:
StancyPants (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #11  
Can'tHave2MuchHP
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, of course, but evidently that's EXACTLY what Porsche did. On GM's dime no less.

According to the R&T article, Porsche showed up, did a sub 7-minute lap, then did two more. While the GM crew stood there and looked dumbfounded.

"Test driver Lars Kern went out and set a 6:59 in his first run, at which point Porsche GT cars boss Andreas Preuninger told his team they could pack up and go home. Kern and factory driver Kevin Estre thought there was more time in the car, though, so they went back out for three more laps. The next lap was another 6:59, then a 6:57, and finally, Estre set a 6:56.4. At that point, the Porsche team left, and as Motormouth reports it, the Corvette crew was left stunned."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...corvette-time/

I really, really hope GM announces a respectable time for the ZR-1. We all know they can do it.
Porsche and their drivers have the opportunity to live at that track. That's why. Lars Kern is one of the best in the game.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #12  
Xanthophyll
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Porsche and their drivers have the opportunity to live at that track. That's why. Lars Kern is one of the best in the game.
No doubt about that. But why would GM hand over the track when conditions are ideal for setting a record? To me, it makes no sense if they're there to compete.

Evidently they really are there just to test and validate and learn from Porsche.

Last edited by Xanthophyll; 05-03-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #13  
Can'tHave2MuchHP
CF Senior Member

Quote:
No doubt about that. But why would GM hand over the track when conditions are ideal for setting a record? To me, it makes no sense if they're there to compete.

Evidently they really are there just to test and validate and learn from Porsche.
They should have worked a deal with Porsche..."Hey, you can drive on our time and dime, but you have to set a lap or two with our car or with us riding shotgun."
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #14  
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,303 Times in 376 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Quote:
To me, it makes no sense if they're there to compete.
Wait for it..... waaaaait for it.... someone might actually be understanding this...

Quote:
The "learning from Porsche" thing isn't true, but the underlined part of your sentence is spot on.

It's not a competition for them. Not in the least. No matter how many times I point that out to people, it just continues to get ignored. Would GM like to turn a hot time and use it in promo material? Sure. Would Jim like to have yet another hot N'Ring time under his professional belt? Absolutely! But it's NOT the reason they're there. They just do it if they have time and a clean track.

Full stop.
jvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #15  
Ruz
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
Wait for it..... waaaaait for it.... someone might actually be understanding this...

The "learning from Porsche" thing isn't true, but the underlined part of your sentence is spot on.

It's not a competition for them. Not in the least. No matter how many times I point that out to people, it just continues to get ignored. Would GM like to turn a hot time and use it in promo material? Sure. Would Jim like to have yet another hot N'Ring time under his professional belt? Absolutely! But it's NOT the reason they're there. They just do it if they have time and a clean track.

Full stop.
BS. They haven't listed a time because they cannot get one.

Didn't seem to take them too long to announce their lap time at VIR when it was a respectable one...
Ruz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruz For This Useful Post:
Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #16  
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruz View Post
Didn't seem to take them too long to announce their lap time at VIR when it was a respectable one...
Annnnd... they weren't there to set a blistering time. It happened during validation.

See the difference?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #17  
Ruz
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Annnnd... they weren't there to set a blistering time. It happened during validation.

See the difference?
Yeah...everyone sets "accidental" lap times during "validation"...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...vir-viper-acr/
Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #18  
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruz View Post
Yeah...everyone sets "accidental" lap times during "validation"...
I don't know what your point actually is (I don't think you do, either). It's no secret that I'm in pretty tight with the engineering team at GM. And I can assure you that they go to tracks for engineering and validation. Not to set "fast laps". Hell, Jim himself has said it here in the "Ask Tadge" section. Tadge has said it multiple times publicly. But somehow, some way, the peanut gallery here at Corvette Forum knows more than the folks at GM or I do.

Believe what you like. You're wrong, of course, but feel free to keep believing it. No matter how many times I tell you that the sky is blue, you're going to insist that it's pink.

Last edited by jvp; 05-03-2018 at 12:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvp For This Useful Post:
iw172 (05-22-2018), StancyPants (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #19  
Xanthophyll
CF Senior Member

Meanwhile in Stuttgart:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xanthophyll For This Useful Post:
5abivt (05-06-2018), Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #20  
Ruz
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I don't know what your point actually is (I don't think you do, either). It's no secret that I'm in pretty tight with the engineering team at GM. And I can assure you that they go to tracks for engineering and validation. Not to set "fast laps". Hell, Jim himself has said it here in the "Ask Tadge" section. Tadge has said it multiple times publicly. But somehow, some way, the peanut gallery here at Corvette Forum knows more than the folks at GM or I do.

Believe what you like. You're wrong, of course, but feel free to keep believing it. No matter how many times I tell you that the sky is blue, you're going to insist that it's pink.
Honestly I don't care who you are or who you know...GM boasted up and down how they wanted to be "Sub 7 seconds" with the ZR1.

The fricking car is in production...not in development anymore. If you are trying to say that when they were last on the Ring, they weren't trying to lap as quick as they could?

If they would have run a Sub-7 in "validation", they wouldn't have put out a cute video of the run?

They have stories all over the net about 7:12 times...(from the same people that reported the Porsche time that was quickly validated), and they are just fine with that?

Riiiggghhhhtttttttt......
Rodbuster56 (05-08-2018)
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • What's Taking GM So Long For a Ring Time?
  •