C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Why is redline the same on ZR1 - no AFM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

GM probably has thousands of hours of dyno testing on these engines, and may have determined that the 6500 redline gives the best combination of power, reliability and engine life, with the parts used.
The following users liked this post:
kenownr (05-08-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Vibration!

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
GM probably has thousands of hours of dyno testing on these engines, and may have determined that the 6500 redline gives the best combination of power, reliability and engine life, with the parts used.
A balanced reciprocating assembly spec and its weight most determines and limits the maximum RPM capability of an engine.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I will say that even if it made slightly less power an extra 500 RPM would be nice for those situations where you run out of gear and would rather not upshift. With the C7 Z06 you are just shy of RPM in 4th on the front straight at VIR and could use a little more RPM instead of the early upshift to 5th. It's a similar situation at Summit Point in the the run from 2-3 and 3-4 in 3rd gear.

That said, maybe after all the complaints about valvetrain issues with the LS7 GM decided it wasn't worth the hassle to have the valvetrain designed for the extra RPM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
Some people seem to bring the C6 into every C7 conversation. 500 more RPM isn't really something to brag about. There comes a time where you have to stop living in the past.

Plus, you went on to say that the C6 ZR1 also had titanium rods and titanium intake valves(as did the LS7) and it still had a 6,500 RPM rev limiter. You contradicted your entire point of bringing the C6 into the conversation.
I didn't contradict myself. I was asked if the LS9 had titanium rods and I replied yes(which is 100% true). He didn't ask me if the LS9 had heavier forged pistons than the LS7's cast pistons.

Lighter rods and lighter cast pistons make the LS7 easier to spin to 7,000 RPM, vs lighter rods and heavier forged pistons in the LS9, and easier to spin to 7,000 RPM than with the LT4 or LT5 with heavier PM rods and heavier forged pistons.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Experienced wearing valve guides!?

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I will say that even if it made slightly less power an extra 500 RPM would be nice for those situations where you run out of gear and would rather not upshift. With the C7 Z06 you are just shy of RPM in 4th on the front straight at VIR and could use a little more RPM instead of the early upshift to 5th. It's a similar situation at Summit Point in the the run from 2-3 and 3-4 in 3rd gear.

That said, maybe after all the complaints about valvetrain issues with the LS7 GM decided it wasn't worth the hassle to have the valvetrain designed for the extra RPM.

In most engines it is not the reciprocating assembly that has a problem. the crank, pistons, and con rods are usually not the limiting factor. The limit is usually the valve train. Valves not closing fast enough because the lifter floats off the cam or because the valve spring is not strong enough, or even because the valve bounced off the seat. Then the valve hits the piston, and things break. Like connecting rods out the side of the block. Those are nice.

I own a 99 dodge with a v-10. Original RPM limit was 4250 RPM. Yes, that low. stainless competition valves and triple valve springs ( one spring inside the other, all 3 pulling on one valve ) made it possable to hit 6500 RPM where my limiter is currently set. Stainless is stronger and lighter, which makes it easier to return to rest once the valve is open.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-factors-limit-the-max-rpms-on-an-engine.905497/

It makes sense money and minimum design requirements are the limiting factors. No sense spending a bundle on a reciprocating assembly if the valve train is going limit you anyway.
Good point though!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:33 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

You really don't need to bring the C6 into all of your posts in the C7 boards.
But he does. Best thing to do to improve your Corvette Forum browsing experience is drop Joe on your ignore list. It's amazing how much better things are that way.
Lavender (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:39 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by fatsport
Why isn’t the redline higher on the ZR1?
One question that I don't know the answer to is:

What speed can the supercharger be spun to, safely? Can it deal with ~7100RPMs (7000 redline + ~100 for cut-off)? At what point does that become too risky for the existing belts, mechanisms, etc? I'm betting that's what plays into the decision to an extent.

Also, you might be surprised to know that bumping the RPM range up will have an adverse effect on emissions. I seem to recall the Powertrain guys at GM were somewhat limited with the LT1 in the base car due to emissions. They could have easily kicked the redline and limiter up a few hundred RPMs to make more HP. But the results would have been a hit to the overall emissions, so they had to back off.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
Lavender (05-07-2018), Poor-sha (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:30 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default And so does looser tolerances!

Sometimes it's better not to ignore agendas.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

No, I'm not.
This car just got crushed at Nurburgring by a 520 Hp glorified VW bug with a 6 cylinder.
I'm the Corvette buyer who's trying to encourage people not to settle for GM's parts bin mentality.
I love my GS Z07. But GM could do us so much better.
So you came here to tell us that a ZR1 just got crushed by a 520hp glorified "VW bug with a 6 cylinder" and that you love your 460hp Grand Sport?

Also we should NOT settle for GM's parts bin mentality? What do you think your Grand Sport is?

Newsflash!!! Your Grand Sport is the definition of GM's parts bin mentality!

Trolls.... You gotta love 'em right?
CorvettoBrando (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Your posts made no mention of pistons, they were all about C6 rods and their role in max RPM. You really don't need to bring the C6 into all of your posts in the C7 boards.
At least I made a honest attempt to answer the OP's question.

All you attempted to do was to try and discredit me, by making it personal, of which you failed. Why didn't you make an attempt to answer the OP's question, instead of attacking me?
VetterFlyer (05-12-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:01 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
So you came here to tell us that a ZR1 just got crushed by a 520hp glorified "VW bug with a 6 cylinder" and that you love your 460hp Grand Sport?

Also we should NOT settle for GM's parts bin mentality? What do you think your Grand Sport is?

Newsflash!!! Your Grand Sport is the definition of GM's parts bin mentality!

Trolls.... You gotta love 'em right?
My GS is without a doubt a parts bin special, I agree. It’s the right parts for me at the time. When I bought it - I actually bought 2 GS last year - I thought it was the best Corvette to buy. No pulling timing with high intake temps like the Z06, and much more enjoyable gear ratios.
I’ll probably buy a ZR1 in December. The high 1st gear annoys me, but the power is there without issues.
I just wish Chevy would quit compromising. Us accepting their Vettes like sheeple will just enable them. This car and company could be so much better.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Also, you might be surprised to know that bumping the RPM range up will have an adverse effect on emissions. I seem to recall the Powertrain guys at GM were somewhat limited with the LT1 in the base car due to emissions. They could have easily kicked the redline and limiter up a few hundred RPMs to make more HP. But the results would have been a hit to the overall emissions, so they had to back off.
Does the EPA test over 6500 rpm?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:05 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jvp
One question that I don't know the answer to is:

What speed can the supercharger be spun to, safely? Can it deal with ~7100RPMs (7000 redline + ~100 for cut-off)? At what point does that become too risky for the existing belts, mechanisms, etc? I'm betting that's what plays into the decision to an extent.

The LT1 produces it's maximum horsepower at 6,000 RPM. With no other changes, just upping the rev limiter to, say, 6,700 RPM, would not raise the maximum horsepower.

It's the other changes(ie: cam design, etc) to raise the horsepower at a higher RPM, that affects emissions.

I bet that the Porsche N/A six cylinder that runs to 9,000 RPM and produces more horsepower than the LT1, meets all applicable emission regulations.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-07-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default In The United States we've redefined Bullying! ;)

Originally Posted by JoesC5
At least I made a honest attempt to answer the OP's question.

All you attempted to do was to try and discredit me, by making it personal, of which you failed. Why didn't you make an attempt to answer the OP's question, instead of attacking me?
And some of us just Blissfully report on that!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-07-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:16 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
And some of us just Blissfully report on that!
When you can't debate the subject matter, you make it personal and attack the messenger. I see that all the time in these posts.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default It's the average HP that makes those RPM's worth it. ;)

When you can't debate the subject matter, you make it personable and attack the messenger. I see that all the time in these posts.

And like Poorsha said add those shifting options with His Stick Shifting!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-07-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

I bet that the Porsche N/A six cylinder that runs to 9,000 RPM and produces more horsepower than the LT1, meets all applicable emission regulations.
While it meets the required standards, it still puts out more emissions than the LT1. GM is going to be much more concerned about emissions with the LT1 than Porsche is going to be with the 4.0L in the RS because of shear volume of engines produced. The EPA has fleet emission requirements for manufactures. For all the LT1s sold GM has to sell much lower emissions vehicles to bring the fleet average down. The volume of LT1s is huge compared to the 4.0L RS engine which would make emissions much more of a concern to GM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is redline the same on ZR1 - no AFM?

Old 05-07-2018, 05:57 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default DOHC, and over squared stroke screams it up$ ;)

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...oke-of-genius/

DOHC would help the emissions, and it really works too!

;Bad ***

https://youtu.be/Pd_chxOouYY

The GT350R!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-08-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:39 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

My GS is without a doubt a parts bin special, I agree. It’s the right parts for me at the time. When I bought it - I actually bought 2 GS last year - I thought it was the best Corvette to buy. No pulling timing with high intake temps like the Z06, and much more enjoyable gear ratios.
I’ll probably buy a ZR1 in December. The high 1st gear annoys me, but the power is there without issues.
I just wish Chevy would quit compromising. Us accepting their Vettes like sheeple will just enable them. This car and company could be so much better.
Haha! The Z06 can pull timing and still run away the GS. Nice way to say I didn't want to spend the money!
The Z06 is best bang and is no compromising at the price!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Thanks, didn't know that. They're also a different length so it would be a new, shorter design, right?
Or did the C6 ZR1 have titanium rods?
yes and they are msrp over 600 each really nice pieces

with the new crank stronger and a more agressive cam more revs will be possible and provide much more boost as this blower is loafing

the issue will be the ability to tune for higher rpms and free up the exhaust side.

so since the tune is currently made out of unobtanium, what would you like to do today? you may have to settle for the general cooked up in the meantime and if the 755 doesn't do it for you maybe the ZR-1 isn't the right choice just yet.

Quick Reply: Why is redline the same on ZR1 - no AFM?