Who's ready for some track testing? - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Who's ready for some track testing?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #61  
RoketRdr
CF Senior Member
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 325
Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
I failed to write it down but one was at 0 and the other was canted forward.
That's disappointing to hear.
RoketRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #62  
desmophile
CF Senior Member
 
desmophile's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 188
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
Default track alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
That's disappointing to hear.
My dealer, who I like, wants to do track alignment for me. DSC suggests Toe of -0.5MM. Dealer says his equipment does it in degrees. Does anyone know what -0.5mm toe is in degrees?

If it matters I am running 315/680/18F and 325/705/18R. From the calculations I have seen, tire diameter matters. I am assuming that what DSC recommends is for the stock Cup2 Z06 tire diameter.

thanks, paul
desmophile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #63  
Questar
CF Senior Member
 
Questar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 354
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
I failed to write it down but one was at 0 and the other was canted forward.
Thatís funny... I had mine in for my track alignment today as well.

My factory rear caster was .7 left side and .1 right side.

Hereís the rest of the settings before we adjusted to DSC specs...




As received from factory.Rear caster... L 0.7 / R 0.1
Questar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #64  
RoketRdr
CF Senior Member
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 325
Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmophile View Post
My dealer, who I like, wants to do track alignment for me. DSC suggests Toe of -0.5MM. Dealer says his equipment does it in degrees. Does anyone know what -0.5mm toe is in degrees?

If it matters I am running 315/680/18F and 325/705/18R. From the calculations I have seen, tire diameter matters. I am assuming that what DSC recommends is for the stock Cup2 Z06 tire diameter.

thanks, paul
He obviously doesn't know his equipment because all alignment machines can read both with the touch of a button. But IIRC -.5mm is -.044 degrees.
RoketRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoketRdr For This Useful Post:
desmophile (Yesterday)
Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #65  
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
OnPoint's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Wichita Kansas - 2015 Z06 & 2010 ZR1
Posts: 17,429
Thanked 1,567 Times in 934 Posts
Default

It's disappointing the factory hasn't tightened these alignment specs.



.

Last edited by OnPoint; Yesterday at 10:14 AM.
OnPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OnPoint For This Useful Post:
RoketRdr (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #66  
G fix needy
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Posts: 331
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questar View Post
Thatís funny... I had mine in for my track alignment today as well.

My factory rear caster was .7 left side and .1 right side.

Hereís the rest of the settings before we adjusted to DSC specs...
]
Was rear caster on a separate screen or sheet? It's not listed on the screen shot under "Primary Angles/Rear".
G fix needy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #67  
Mad Dog 24
CF Senior Member
 
Mad Dog 24's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Central Square New York
Posts: 1,534
Thanked 275 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G fix needy View Post
Was rear caster on a separate screen or sheet? It's not listed on the screen shot under "Primary Angles/Rear".
There are no alignment machines available that measure rear caster it has to be performed manually.

Sean that is sad GM cant even get the rear caster close on a ZRI. Half the C7's we align have the caster is way off and never are they equal from side to side. With that said I would NEVER track a C7 without first having that checked.
Mad Dog 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog 24 For This Useful Post:
G fix needy (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #68  
Poor-sha
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,524
Thanked 1,298 Times in 588 Posts
Default

The alignment from the factory on the ZR1 looks just like the Z06 and GS alignments. Front camber was around -1.0 and rear was around -1.3. We didn't spend too much time on before measurements since we knew we needed to pull the wheels and remove UCA washers before mounting the heads for the real alignment. Here is what it read with stock alignment *after we pulled the washers*.


Poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #69  
Questar
CF Senior Member
 
Questar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 354
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G fix needy View Post
Was rear caster on a separate screen or sheet? It's not listed on the screen shot under "Primary Angles/Rear".
As Mad Dog said, none of the alignment machines measure "rear caster" so it has to be done manually. There is a special tool for this and it's actually pretty easy to measure...





Last edited by Questar; Yesterday at 09:12 AM.
Questar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Questar For This Useful Post:
G fix needy (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #70  
Questar
CF Senior Member
 
Questar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 354
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
The alignment from the factory on the ZR1 looks just like the Z06 and GS alignments. Front camber was around -1.0 and rear was around -1.3. We didn't spend too much time on before measurements since we knew we needed to pull the wheels and remove UCA washers before mounting the heads for the real alignment. Here is what it read with stock alignment *after we pulled the washers*.

You removed the UCA washers? I did on my Z06 but the owners manual for 2019 said NOT to remove the washers for the ZR1 so we didn't.

Last edited by Questar; Yesterday at 09:14 AM.
Questar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #71  
Poor-sha
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,524
Thanked 1,298 Times in 588 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questar View Post
You removed the UCA washers? I did on my Z06 but the owners manual for 2019 said NOT to remove the washers for the ZR1 so we didn't.
I hadn't read that but just checked the OM for 2019 and it says not to remove washers for the GS, Z06, or ZR1. I don't see anything different from 2017 to 2019 in the UCA so we removed them.

Grand Sport, Z06, and
ZR1 models Ė do not remove
washers from front or rear upper
control arm bolts.
Poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #72  
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor
 
JRitt@essex's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,120
Thanked 139 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Nice Sean! I'm looking forward to watching developments with the new car.

Also, the Essex/AP Racing crew will be heading to VIR for the NCM event late next month, so maybe you can take me out for a spin.
JRitt@essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #73  
Poor-sha
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,524
Thanked 1,298 Times in 588 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nice Sean! I'm looking forward to watching developments with the new car.

Also, the Essex/AP Racing crew will be heading to VIR for the NCM event late next month, so maybe you can take me out for a spin.
Come on by! I can at least promise you a ride. Depending on how the CCBs hold up to my two open track days at Summit Point I may have the AP Racing brakes back on the car at VIR.
Poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #74  
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 30,829
Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,562 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24 View Post
There are no alignment machines available that measure rear caster it has to be performed manually.

Sean that is sad GM cant even get the rear caster close on a ZRI. Half the C7's we align have the caster is way off and never are they equal from side to side. With that said I would NEVER track a C7 without first having that checked.
They are within the GM spec which is for the caster to be set at 0.00 degrees with a tolerance running from +0.8 degrees to -0.8 degrees with no cross caster spec called out.


Bill
Bill Dearborn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Dearborn For This Useful Post:
G fix needy (Today)
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #75  
G fix needy
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Posts: 331
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Questar;1597271920]As Mad Dog said, none of the alignment machines measure "rear caster" so it has to be done manually. There is a special tool for this and it's actually pretty easy to measure...QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the pics of the tools in place for measuring rear caster.
It's beyond disappointing that GM can spend almost a billion $ on the factory, then skimp on a more precise alignment on a car costing $120,000+. It's a part of their quality control that needs to be done better.
Hopefully the C8 will be better in this regard.
G fix needy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:39 AM   #76  
Questar
CF Senior Member
 
Questar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 354
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=G fix needy;1597277597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questar View Post
As Mad Dog said, none of the alignment machines measure "rear caster" so it has to be done manually. There is a special tool for this and it's actually pretty easy to measure...QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the pics of the tools in place for measuring rear caster.
It's beyond disappointing that GM can spend almost a billion $ on the factory, then skimp on a more precise alignment on a car costing $120,000+. It's a part of their quality control that needs to be done better.
Hopefully the C8 will be better in this regard.
Honestly most of the dealer network are incapable of doing a proper alignment on a corvette. Most are only now (4 years into production of the C7’s) getting the tool to measure rear caster and many in the dealership network still don’t know that rear caster can be adjusted or how to do it. Most of their alignment machines are not properly setup to do an accurate alignment to the tolerances “we” want... in my opinion that’s why GM sets such wide tolerances... to hide the fact the dealerships cannot achieve any better. Many of the dealership alignment machines are not properly levelled... so results are flawed... but “within tolerances”.

Think about this... my car arrived at the dealership (like all the others) with the skirts, wing, etc. packaged separately, for dealership PDI and installation. Except the rear wing requires a tool that the dealership didn’t own... they had to scramble to buy one. That just blew my mind... I don’t understand how GM does that.

Last edited by Questar; Today at 08:43 AM.
Questar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Who's ready for some track testing?
  •  
     
    Reply


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: