Who's ready for some track testing? - Page 5 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Who's ready for some track testing?

Old 06-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Slicks or OEM to start?

Ceramics still on the car?
Old 06-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,738 Times in 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post
Slicks or OEM to start?

Ceramics still on the car?
OEM Cup 2 tires and carbon ceramic brakes. I'm bringing a set of Pirelli scrubs along though.

Depending on how the CCBs hold up I might leave them on for NCM at VIR but if it looks like they might not last another two days I'll put the AP Racing kit on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor-sha For This Useful Post:
Lavender (06-10-2018), Mad Dog 24 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Hope you get some dry track!! I am really curious how this car gets around for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Racingswh For This Useful Post:
Poor-sha (06-10-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 AM
shizon'00
CF Senior Member

Tuesday weather is looking pretty good!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 403 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
Also just adjusted the wing to max angle of attack. Give me all the downforce!
Check mail; I changed my mind on your offer if it's still there. Boss gave me a "comp day" when I told him about the opportunity.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:22 PM
NewYuriCity
CF Senior Member

Can't wait to see what you can do! I'm assuming you're running Summit Point Main? One of your old videos of you running Shenandoah still makes me giddy lol
Old 06-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp View Post
Check mail; I changed my mind on your offer if it's still there. Boss gave me a "comp day" when I told him about the opportunity.
Yup, replied to your mail. See you tomorrow. Bring your helmet and driving shoes

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity View Post
Can't wait to see what you can do! I'm assuming you're running Summit Point Main? One of your old videos of you running Shenandoah still makes me giddy lol
Summit Point Main. I'll admit that I'm getting pretty nervous about the whole thing - lots of expectations riding on this. With all the rain we've had I'm hoping there aren't any rivers or lakes on the circuit.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 06-11-2018 at 06:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor-sha For This Useful Post:
NewYuriCity (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Summit Point Main - lots of expectations riding on this.

I can understand. You are a very skilled driver and you're in possession one of the very fastest cars on a road course of all time from any manufacturer.

The results with you as the owner/driver will be very telling as to what we can expect the real world road course performance to be in a new ZR1.

Try and get some sleep if you can so you are fresh. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and not too hot. Good luck!!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

Yup, replied to your mail. See you tomorrow. Bring your helmet and driving shoes

Summit Point Main. I'll admit that I'm getting pretty nervous about the whole thing - lots of expectations riding on this. With all the rain we've had I'm hoping there aren't any rivers or lakes on the circuit.
I'll drive up there tomorrow! Just checked and the rain is delayed at least 'till Wednesday. If I bring my helmet, can I also have a ride? I didn't sign up, but will try to go out at lunch time. (I have my solo at Summit).
It will be great to see Jason, too. I haven't been at Summit for a few years now.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:08 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Thanks to Sean, I can now count myself among the lucky that have driven a ZR1 on the race track. After Sean finished burnishing his brakes and making some adjustments to the rear wing, he let me go out, unsupervised.

Bear in mind this is NOT my car, and I can't afford to replace the Not-My-Car. So I didn't push it as hard as I might normally. I did run into some traffic here and there, including a McLaren of some sort that tripped me up by pointing me by on the wrong side of the track. But no matter. I managed a 1:22.4 which is pretty close to the best I've done in my Z07. This after 3-4 laps in the car.

It's stupid-easy to drive fast. The Z07 is immensely easy to drive fast on the track. This one is just that much more so. Lots of mechanical grip, silly amounts of go-juice, and all the same track prowess as the rest of the C7 line-up.

Big fun. YouTube is still processing my 4 laps, but here's the link. I dunno if it'll be in 1080p by the time you click on it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jvp For This Useful Post:
16/C7Z (06-12-2018), fatsport (06-12-2018), Newton06 (06-12-2018), NewYuriCity (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 PM
[email protected]
Supporting Vendor

Thanks to Sean, I can now count myself among the lucky that have driven a ZR1 on the race track. After Sean finished burnishing his brakes and making some adjustments to the rear wing, he let me go out, unsupervised.

Bear in mind this is NOT my car, and I can't afford to replace the Not-My-Car. So I didn't push it as hard as I might normally. I did run into some traffic here and there, including a McLaren of some sort that tripped me up by pointing me by on the wrong side of the track. But no matter. I managed a 1:22.4 which is pretty close to the best I've done in my Z07. This after 3-4 laps in the car.

It's stupid-easy to drive fast. The Z07 is immensely easy to drive fast on the track. This one is just that much more so. Lots of mechanical grip, silly amounts of go-juice, and all the same track prowess as the rest of the C7 line-up.

Big fun. YouTube is still processing my 4 laps, but here's the link. I dunno if it'll be in 1080p by the time you click on it.
Nice! I can't wait to see this monster at VIR in a couple weeks. Are you going to VIR JVP?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:13 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Are you going to VIR JVP?
No sir. I'm not doing a lot of track days any longer; not till I'm back on my feet($$).
Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Some more notes:

The first half of the day saw some dried mud on the track at some very inopportune points: the apex of 9, and near the apex of 10. There was a little at track out on 3 as well. During lunch they sent the street sweeper out to fix that.

Sean's car is the first one since my 1996(!) that I've driven on the course without harnesses on. That was a bit unnerving for me, to be completely honest.

At lunch, Sean swapped the SC2s out for his slick scrubs. He offered me a chance to go dice the track up with the slicks on the car, but I passed. I think I've gone fast enough in Not-My-Car, so more fun wasn't necessary.

Pete (range96) came down from PA to visit for the day. I haven't seen him since we were both driving our C6 ZR1s at Summit in the rain one day. That was... almost 8 years ago? Something like that. If I'm not mistaken, he ran as a passenger with Sean after lunch.

I won't steal Sean's thunder, but his lap times were significantly faster than mine. Like "holy crap, are you guys driving the same car?!" faster. But I'm OK with that.

Last edited by jvp; 06-12-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added another note
Old 06-12-2018, 05:36 PM
rico750sxi
CF Senior Member

Awesome account of your day, looking forward to Sean’s as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 PM
cvp33
CF Senior Member

Great video. Love the 'woo' at the 5 min mark.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 PM
heavychevy
CF Senior Member

Bahahaha, the scream at 5:03

That was great.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:51 PM
rico750sxi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
Bahahaha, the scream at 5:03

That was great.
I thought it was a Homer Simpson sound effect.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I started a new thread for my track impressions from today.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ay-report.html
Old 06-12-2018, 10:03 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

Some more notes:

The first half of the day saw some dried mud on the track at some very inopportune points: the apex of 9, and near the apex of 10. There was a little at track out on 3 as well. During lunch they sent the street sweeper out to fix that.

Sean's car is the first one since my 1996(!) that I've driven on the course without harnesses on. That was a bit unnerving for me, to be completely honest.

At lunch, Sean swapped the SC2s out for his slick scrubs. He offered me a chance to go dice the track up with the slicks on the car, but I passed. I think I've gone fast enough in Not-My-Car, so more fun wasn't necessary.

Pete (range96) came down from PA to visit for the day. I haven't seen him since we were both driving our C6 ZR1s at Summit in the rain one day. That was... almost 8 years ago? Something like that. If I'm not mistaken, he ran as a passenger with Sean after lunch.

I won't steal Sean's thunder, but his lap times were significantly faster than mine. Like "holy crap, are you guys driving the same car?!" faster. But I'm OK with that.
It was great to meet up with you and Sean, I'm so glad I spent the day in a perfect weather with the nicest people with the nicest car. I did ride along with Sean after lunch, I'll post my comments in his new thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's ready for some track testing?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: