C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Streetspeed717 C7 ZR1 makes 700 RWHP with Corsa X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Dual injection is going to do wonders for the LT5. It won’t be long before someone gets it over 1000whp with the factory blower and a stock bottom end. My only concern is that Tadge warned against changing pulleys, and that means that they tried more aggressive pulleys and had issues.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by JMB
Sorry, I am boycotting his videos based on principal.....if they just got to the point in 30-60 seconds I would watch....
Same here, 18 minutes?! Let me guess, a ME-lennial talking about himself the whole time?
That clickbait for pay bs should be banned from the forum it wastes everyones time for his profit.

Last edited by cv67; 05-12-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:46 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default M7! ;)

Originally Posted by MMD

It's not an exact science. These figures vary so much from vehicle to vehilce, air temperature, fuel octane, barometric pressure, etc. Even if you tested the engine on a test stand and then installed the engine and dyno'ed the vehicle to determine parasitic losses you still have all these other variables to contend with. Take all horepower ratings with a grain of salt. My 2cents.
767 HP motor high side power.

787 HP mostly from yanking the cats (Heat loss!).

Numbers are reliable, and so is B.S.! Evaluate.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-12-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:07 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
767 HP motor high side power.

787 HP mostly from yanking the cats (Heat loss!).

Numbers are reliable, and so is B.S.! Evaluate.
Blah....Blah...Blah...

Old 05-12-2018, 09:14 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Fair enough! ;)

Originally Posted by MMD
Blah....Blah...Blah...

There's only better .

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 05-12-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:25 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Nice informative video but he really needs to clean his mouth up.
Originally Posted by KEZ06
I agree. He doesnt need to keep dropping gratuitous F bombs. Be professional not a douche
I like his videos and agree it would be nice if he cleaned up the language, however I think he caters to his target audience.

For example, my son watched his manual transmission training videos many times when he got his first car with a manual transmission and said they really helped him learn to drive it better.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 AM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,324 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

It's just a video of an X-Pipe dyno test actually with some good information. Take it for what it's worth, this is going waay to far. As I've already said his language needs to change for videos he posts for public viewing but otherwise his private life is not what this is about.
The following users liked this post:
Detoxx03 (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:40 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MMD

there's a lot of bad stuff on the web. Parents need to know what their kids are watching. This guy SS717 is not the angel you may think he is. Loads of dangeorus street racing at well over 100+MPH. Not a good example for your son.
My son is 22 and finishing college. At this point, I really can no longer monitor what he watches and doesn't watch online.

I'm not going to defend a You Tuber that I don't know, I just said some of his videos are instructional and got attacked by the self-righteous and judgmental about the evils of street racing and my apparent lack of parental skills.
Detoxx03 (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:07 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm all for people making their money but his videos are all about the click bait these days. A lot of Youtubers start out like his earlier videos which are solid quality. Then people realize they need to incorporate a larger audience, so the videos get more and more click bait oriented. As has been mentioned, he's asked in his videos to have them posted on the forum. Most likely free money and advertising. His videos have been getting posted a lot more frequently on Corvette Forum.

Technically, if that's how he's making his money off of clicks, and people are posting three of his videos here a week, he's having an opportunity to make money off CF without lifting a finger (and most likely not having to pay a "fee"). Meanwhile the guy over in C3 or C4 section that's been a forum member for years that's parting out a few cars for peanuts gets shut down because they need to pay CF for attempting to run a business on the site. Nice loophole for Street Speed to take advantage of, if that's the case.

I guess that's why I can't get into his videos around here. He'll still make his money, and more power to him. I just don't have any interest in contributing.
Satanspawn (05-13-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Damn it, someone give me the maths stuff to figure out what 700rwhp/634rwtq equates to at flywheel.
I know that this issue has been covered in this thread but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Figure the stock ZR1 M7 dynos around 665 rwhp.
The drivetrain loss equates to 755 SAE FWHP - 665 RWHP = 90hp (about 11.9% loss thru the stock drivetrain: 90/755= 11.9%).
Therefore, if the modified car now makes 700rwhp (on the same dyno in similar conditions), flywheel hp is probably about 790 hp (700rwhp + 90 hp stock drivetrain loss).

I've never seen anyone on this forum or others who could definitively define how drivetrain losses increase as flywheel hp increases. (caveat-there are some pretty sharp people on this forum who have attempted to explain this but it usually results in a lot of engineering jargon with no actual validation or proof beyond theory).

Using a fixed percentage:

Example given: 700rwhp/.881 (1-.119) = 794.5 estimated FWHP. (where did the additional 4.5 hp loss come from with a 35rwhp increase?)

That said, if now the car is modified to produce 1000 RWHP, the "fixed percentage" rule of thumb would result in an estimated FWHP of 1135 FWHP: 1000/.881 = 1135.

Using a fixed loss percentage results as follows:
1135 estimated fwhp x .119 (fixed % loss) = 135hp lost thru the drivetrain???

Did drivetrain loss really increase by another 45hp (135(modified) - 90(stock) = 45 additional hp lost due to engine modifications) ?

Consider this: nothing in the drivetrain has changed, only the power produced at the flywheel has been increased.

I understand that there are additional friction losses, etc. when HP is increased, but I have never seen any definitive proof that losses are a fixed percentage, as many like to believe.

I know, we're car people and all of us want our car to be the most powerful car hitting the streets, but I just don't see a way to estimate a true FWHP from rwhp dyno numbers.

IMHO, the best way to approximate FWHP after the car has been modified is simply to add back the stock drivetrain loss to any new RWHP figure. Again, IMO, it makes the most sense without resorting to pie-in-the-sky estimated numbers.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

People....if you can't debate the finer points of YouTube videos without sinking to a low level and making it personal, I'll just simply hand out some Springtime vacations and see if you get it then.

Keep it clean, don't make it personal and everyone needs to just get along with each other.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
MMD (05-12-2018), MSG C5 (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:41 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I'm all for people making their money but his videos are all about the click bait these days. A lot of Youtubers start out like his earlier videos which are solid quality. Then people realize they need to incorporate a larger audience, so the videos get more and more click bait oriented. As has been mentioned, he's asked in his videos to have them posted on the forum. Most likely free money and advertising. His videos have been getting posted a lot more frequently on Corvette Forum.

Technically, if that's how he's making his money off of clicks, and people are posting three of his videos here a week, he's having an opportunity to make money off CF without lifting a finger (and most likely not having to pay a "fee"). Meanwhile the guy over in C3 or C4 section that's been a forum member for years that's parting out a few cars for peanuts gets shut down because they need to pay CF for attempting to run a business on the site. Nice loophole for Street Speed to take advantage of, if that's the case.

I guess that's why I can't get into his videos around here. He'll still make his money, and more power to him. I just don't have any interest in contributing.
The whole clickbait thing is basically YouTubers tactic of staying competitive in an already crowded environment. This is his livelihood, he worked with a finance background I believe and decided this is what he wants. It’s easy money, IF you know how to gain viewers. YouTube has changed a lot of their requirements to get verified and how these guys get paid. So they are clinging to what’s left to get the money rolling in. One of the highest paid YouTuber has a foul mouth and plays video games all day... People who post his video here are not in any way trying to shove this guys video down our throats or trying to let him gain views. It’s the C7 ZR1 forum with C7 ZR1 content. Most thread starters tell us to skip to a certain minute to get the details on the car. How many owners on here has given us feedback with the cars pwrformance besides Ben and Wfarmer? I know the cars are just getting into owner hands but is there a road course fast list? Check out the ZR1 fast list stickied at the top. It’s anemic! I know it will take time but dang I hope these cars don’t sit!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
People....if you can't debate the finer points of YouTube videos without sinking to a low level and making it personal, I'll just simply hand out some Springtime vacations and see if you get it then.

Keep it clean, don't make it personal and everyone needs to just get along with each other.
Thank you.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:43 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Once again,
There is NO fixed percentage for drivetrain loss. Every car is different. It has been proven over and over!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:50 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Once again,
There is NO fixed percentage for drivetrain loss. Every car is different. It has been proven over and over!
Not sure if you are commenting relative to my post, and I agree with the bolded.

Of course, each drivetrain will have a different amount of loss.
C5 vette drivetrains are different from C7 vette drivetrains, right down to the wheels and tires, which could have some effect on loss.

My post was about a particular drivetrain, and engine modifications resulting in additional RWHP.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
I know that this issue has been covered in this thread but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Figure the stock ZR1 M7 dynos around 665 rwhp.
The drivetrain loss equates to 755 SAE FWHP - 665 RWHP = 90hp (about 11.9% loss thru the stock drivetrain: 90/755= 11.9%).
Therefore, if the modified car now makes 700rwhp (on the same dyno in similar conditions), flywheel hp is probably about 790 hp (700rwhp + 90 hp stock drivetrain loss).

I've never seen anyone on this forum or others who could definitively define how drivetrain losses increase as flywheel hp increases. (caveat-there are some pretty sharp people on this forum who have attempted to explain this but it usually results in a lot of engineering jargon with no actual validation or proof beyond theory).

Using a fixed percentage:

Example given: 700rwhp/.881 (1-.119) = 794.5 estimated FWHP. (where did the additional 4.5 hp loss come from with a 35rwhp increase?)

That said, if now the car is modified to produce 1000 RWHP, the "fixed percentage" rule of thumb would result in an estimated FWHP of 1135 FWHP: 1000/.881 = 1135.

Using a fixed loss percentage results as follows:
1135 estimated fwhp x .119 (fixed % loss) = 135hp lost thru the drivetrain???

Did drivetrain loss really increase by another 45hp (135(modified) - 90(stock) = 45 additional hp lost due to engine modifications) ?

Consider this: nothing in the drivetrain has changed, only the power produced at the flywheel has been increased.

I understand that there are additional friction losses, etc. when HP is increased, but I have never seen any definitive proof that losses are a fixed percentage, as many like to believe.

I know, we're car people and all of us want our car to be the most powerful car hitting the streets, but I just don't see a way to estimate a true FWHP from rwhp dyno numbers.

IMHO, the best way to approximate FWHP after the car has been modified is simply to add back the stock drivetrain loss to any new RWHP figure. Again, IMO, it makes the most sense without resorting to pie-in-the-sky estimated numbers.
I put a link in to a good description of drive train losses a few posts back. Too put it simply, as you add hp the engine can accelerate the drivetrain faster which then the drivetrain tries to resist more. Think of moving your hand through a pool of water. It is relatively easy when you do it slowly but you feel more and more resistance the faster you try to do it.

That being said there really is no point trying to estimate the flywheel hp because it simply doesn't matter. A dyno is only good for seeing how modification changes hp at the wheels on the same dyno or simply use real world acceleration tests.

Here is another good article from dyno manufacturer experts explaining more about dynos and how you cannot accurately predict flywheel hp from a chassis dyno.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...is-dyno-guide/
Old 05-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Maybe no one else is showing this content because he's breaking the law! Have you ever considered that? Who needs to grow up?

Apparently, still you. He broke no laws nor committed no crime by installing a part that MANY ZR1 owners are going to purchase, just like the C7 Z06 owners do, and showing us WAY before anybody else was going to, what it's capable of adding. I was merely a messenger. See those that come to this forum for information and not to sit there and bloviate like most, actually might appreciate knowing how much they could gain with just an X Pipe.

I by no means advocated marrying the dude, or respecting him, or told you to get over him doing 150+ MPH on the interstate. That's NOT the point of the original post, NOR the discussion that was to follow. You and fellow denim-shorts-gang members shat all over the last 2-4 threads that had Mike in them, that members (me included) posted and had NOTHING smart or reasonable to say about the subject at hand. Grow up.

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
At least they're not fabricating and posting lies like you do. How bout YOU grow up???
Point out ONE time I fabricated a lie. I'll wait.

(By the way, there are none, so save your time.)

Lie: an intentionally false statement.

Originally Posted by JMB
Here's how YOU solve the PROBLEM that you created by posting his POS video in the first place.....NEXT time take a screenshot of the the before/after dyno and trust me, the whole thread will likely be only discussion about the topic at hand, not his frickin videos, case closed!

And why are you ASSUMING that age has something to do with telling the truth?
I caused a problem because I posted information that no doubt a hundred of you are going to ask about at some point or another? "How much can I get with an X Pipe". Well here's the answer plain in your face, and nobody could realize that and decided to attack Mike. Need I point out that NOBODY needed to watch Mike's video. The Title and short Message gave you ALL the info you needed to know. You or others chose to watch the video of your own accord. And again, because I'm familiar with the doubtful group of members we have here, I only posted the video to SHOW where I got my SOURCE before somebody asked "Proof???".

Move on.
Detoxx03 (05-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Streetspeed717 C7 ZR1 makes 700 RWHP with Corsa X Pipe

Old 05-12-2018, 03:49 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

I’m with you on all this, including forgetting about how much fwhp a car is making after power modifications.
I’ll check out your link when I get back in front of my laptop.

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
I put a link in to a good description of drive train losses a few posts back. Too put it simply, as you add hp the engine can accelerate the drivetrain faster which then the drivetrain tries to resist more. Think of moving your hand through a pool of water. It is relatively easy when you do it slowly but you feel more and more resistance the faster you try to do it.

That being said there really is no point trying to estimate the flywheel hp because it simply doesn't matter. A dyno is only good for seeing how modification changes hp at the wheels on the same dyno or simply use real world acceleration tests.

Here is another good article from dyno manufacturer experts explaining more about dynos and how you cannot accurately predict flywheel hp from a chassis dyno.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...is-dyno-guide/

Last edited by vrybad; 05-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I think his vids are entertaining and he is actually driving his ZR1 and showing things nobody else is. I know many of you don't understand how YouTube works, but Streetspeed is pretty successful at it. And kill the clickbait crap people. Clickbait is used in every aspect of life when someone wants you to view something. Thing about news stories where they make you stay tuned through commercials with misleading headlines right before the commercial break, movie trailers, and TV show titles. Their all forms of clickbait, which obviously is a good tool because most of the youtubers that have decent followings use it. It should not be viewed as a negative. Some of you really need to lighten up. How can you knock a man who is able to simply pick up a GoPro every day and make an honest living doing what he loves?
Detoxx03 (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:17 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

^If the clickbaits work then whatever. But I never like it, it just makes for a regretful view when it's not really true. For example, "I'M SELLING MY CAR!" when in actuality he explains for 10 minutes how he's going to maybe sell his ZO6 when the ZR1 arrives half a year away(at the time). Gotta get them kids their fix and views when there's nothing going on I guess lol.

Quick Reply: Streetspeed717 C7 ZR1 makes 700 RWHP with Corsa X Pipe