C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 oil temp at 271 degrees in two laps??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:47 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
I dunno, the 720S gives me a few warm fuzzies also......
Warm fuzzies is about it! Very Few and far between! Should be flattering to the Z06 owners that everyone and there brother rushes to compare the Z06 to cars up to 5-10 times and more in price. Then with the huge aftermarket it how fast do you want to go???

The Z06 can be modified very easy to faster than a 720S ! For far less money.

Unless you need to toss away money (or you hit the lottery) after 720S for others to see you in. Which not sure if there is anywhere within 200 miles for service. Plus Midwest born here driving Chevelle's Roadrunners, Camaro's and now on the 9th Corvette. Corvette for the win.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Warm fuzzies is about it!
I'd recommend stopping before you stick your foot further into your mouth. While I'm all for focusing on Corvettes over other brands here, be careful of who you throw down against. Sanjay's car collection will make your homes look like shanties.

Yours and everyone else's here.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I'd recommend stopping before you stick your foot further into your mouth. While I'm all for focusing on Corvettes over other brands here, be careful of who you throw down against. Sanjay's car collection will make your homes look like shanties.

Thanks dude, but I know there are others like me here who are fortunate to have a bunch of toys...even some (gasp) non Vettes.

Forgive me if this is long winded and off topic, but since the OP is referring to my car, which DID NOT RUN HOT AT ALL, allow the digression from beating a dead horse.

I often find myself having to defend the domestics on other forums to the Eurosnobs. I can't stand when they (or the Ford guys for that matter) poo poo pushrods and transverse leaf springs either.

3Z06ZR1,

I love Corvettes. You grew up with muscle cars in the midwest....I get it. We all have our biases. I started out in Fox body Mustangs until I could afford a used '90 ZR-1, the same year I joined this Forum.

But, you gotta understand that there is a whole world of exotic machinery out there that might be overpriced, but some of them are astounding to drive....and pricing is relative, when a $300k car can hang with $1.5M+ hypercars.

Rather than dismissing the 720S as overpriced and implying that it can't do much besides stroke its driver's ego, you need to drive one, preferably with an open mind.

Then, maybe you will understand that the 720S is in a different class of cars, and while a ZR1 can be modified to accelerate as hard or harder than the latest toy from England, we are talking about stock, factory warrantied cars.

The 720s's overall lightweight, nimble package just cannot be duplicated at any cost by a C7. Yes, the Corvette always wins the bang for the buck argument, and they are thrilling cars to drive. Having the 720S and ZR1 on track back to back does in fact point out some advantages of the Vette, even at 1/3 the price, such as the heads up display, cooled seats, and IMO a far better sounding engine. It will most likely be more reliable in the long run and have lower operating costs also.

But, it weighs 3700 lbs and has slightly less than 50% of that weight over the rear wheels, and the chassis is not as rigid as the 3190 lb CF monocoque McLaren. You can't fix that without seriously compromising streetability.

It's hard to quantify intangibles, like the steering feel of the mid engined 720s as it bends into a corner, the NSX like panoramic view of the road ahead, the way it screams to 8000 rpm with turbos whooshing, the way the active suspension lays down the power over even rough pavement, the feel of the matte CF wheel inserts, and even the way the airflow is directed through the scissor doors....don't knock it as a poseur car....it ain't one.

I couldn't care less who sees me in it; it's a factory 9 sec/145 mph car that's equally at home on track, cruising the interstate, or taking the wife to a fancy restaurant in surprising comfort. It even shames most of its Italian and German competition, and I'm not a one marque fanboy by any means. I've been lucky enough to have owned and/or tracked almost all of them. This one's a game changer.

Now, the C8 is shaping up to be essentially a more cost effective version of the 720S. Here's hoping it hits that impressive benchmark at half the price which would be an ASTOUNDING achievement, BTW....and I'll be first in line to congratulate Team Corvette on a job well done when I do R8C in 2020.

Last edited by DoctorV8; 05-29-2018 at 02:14 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by DoctorV8:
Bwright (05-31-2018), CorvettoBrando (05-30-2018), DebRedZR1 (05-30-2018), furiousox (05-29-2018), Hirohawa (06-01-2018), johnglenntwo (05-29-2018), Kappa (05-29-2018), MEJ (05-29-2018), Operations (05-29-2018), rb185afm (05-31-2018), rflow306 (05-29-2018), TARANTULA (05-29-2018), Teutonic Plague (05-30-2018), Z06Fiend (05-30-2018) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks dude, but I know there are others like me here who are fortunate to have a bunch of toys...even some (gasp) non Vettes.

Forgive me if this is long winded and off topic, but since the OP is referring to my car, which DID NOT RUN HOT AT ALL, allow the digression from beating a dead horse.

I often find myself having to defend the domestics on other forums to the Eurosnobs. I can't stand when they (or the Ford guys for that matter) poo poo pushrods and transverse leaf springs either.

3Z06ZR1,

I love Corvettes. You grew up with muscle cars in the midwest....I get it. We all have our biases. I started out in Fox body Mustangs until I could afford a used '90 ZR-1, the same year I joined this Forum.

But, you gotta understand that there is a whole world of exotic machinery out there that might be overpriced, but some of them are astounding to drive....and pricing is relative, when a $300k car can hang with $1.5M+ hypercars.

Rather than dismissing the 720S as overpriced and implying that it can't do much besides stroke its driver's ego, you need to drive one, preferably with an open mind.

Then, maybe you will understand that the 720S is in a different class of cars, and while a ZR1 can be modified to accelerate as hard or harder than the latest toy from England, we are talking about stock, factory warrantied cars.

The 720s's overall lightweight, nimble package just cannot be duplicated at any cost by a C7. Yes, the Corvette always wins the bang for the buck argument, and they are thrilling cars to drive. Having the 720S and ZR1 on track back to back does in fact point out some advantages of the Vette, even at 1/3 the price, such as the heads up display, cooled seats, and IMO a far better sounding engine. It will most likely be more reliable in the long run and have lower operating costs also.

But, it weighs 3700 lbs and has slightly less than 50% of that weight over the rear wheels, and the chassis is not as rigid as the 3190 lb CF monocoque McLaren. You can't fix that without seriously compromising streetability.

It's hard to quantify intangibles, like the steering feel of the mid engined 720s as it bends into a corner, the NSX like panoramic view of the road ahead, the way it screams to 8000 rpm with turbos whooshing, the way the active suspension lays down the power over even rough pavement, the feel of the matte CF wheel inserts, and even the way the airflow is directed through the scissor doors....don't knock it as a poseur car....it ain't one.

I couldn't care less who sees me in it; it's a factory 9 sec/145 mph car that's equally at home on track, cruising the interstate, or taking the wife to a fancy restaurant in surprising comfort. It even shames most of its Italian and German competition, and I'm not a one marque fanboy by any means. I've been lucky enough to have owned and/or tracked almost all of them. This one's a game changer.

Now, the C8 is shaping up to be essentially a more cost effective version of the 720S. Here's hoping it hits that impressive benchmark at half the price which would be an ASTOUNDING achievement, BTW....and I'll be first in line to congratulate Team Corvette on a job well done when I do R8C in 2020.

Thank you for an excellently written view on the 720S. Which, unfortunately, will go completely over the head of the person it was intended for.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:47 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I feel bad you just wasted that much time and effort to respond to someone who only regurgitates what others state, usually incorrectly. Now, when we have the next Corvette vs supercar debate, your comments will undoubtedly be used as evidence to support whatever false claim he is making. Watch his posts carefully, he only seems to comment based on a statement others have made, rarely original ideas (or when they are original, they are so wrong it is comical.)

I have recently debated giving up 2 or 3 of my hobby cars, Z06 included, to get into something like a 720S. As you mentioned, the 720S is truly a do-it-all kind of car, and it does it all very well.

Regarding the actual topic posted, I am surprised to see 270 anything oil. While that is far from overheating, it is certainly warmer than I would have predicted with the new cooling.

Last edited by fleming23; 05-29-2018 at 02:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fleming23:
Lavender (05-29-2018), rflow306 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:47 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Realistically speaking, how much faster is 720s than zr1 in a straight line and in a track? Now that there is an owner with both cars, I would like to know.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jvp

Your off base pal! Your putting your foot in yours when you don't need to. This the Corvette forum last I checked and I could give a wiz when you or anyone buys. Doesn't mean I couldn't have any car I want. Problem is I don't want. If I wanted a track car I would buy the ZR1 long before a 720S. Since I have no idea what your talking about. Not comparing my collection with anyone. Just what I would buy. Don't like it move on!

He can go compare with Jay Leno!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fleming23
Regarding the actual topic posted, I am surprised to see 270 anything oil. While that is far from overheating, it is certainly warmer than I would have predicted with the new cooling.
It was extremely hot and sunny last weekend, so I'll give it a pass. Unfortunately those temps also affected power big time, so I can't wait to get it on track on a cooler day.

If you're interested, my 720S is actually for sale, making room for a more track focused British monster. You can email me at doctorv8 at gmail if interested.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:58 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

If you're interested, my 720S is actually for sale, making room for a more track focused British monster.
Heh. Heh. Hehhhhhh. I think I know what car he's referring to.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:06 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
Realistically speaking, how much faster is 720s than zr1 in a straight line and in a track? Now that there is an owner with both cars, I would like to know.
The 720S is an easy 10-15 mph faster on the straights at CoTA. On a cold day, it will touch 180 on the back straight. For context, a Huracan will do 165ish, and my old 2015 Z07 and ZL1 1LE both did about 155. ACR hit an aero wall at 150. All speeds were indicated, not GPS verified.

ZR1 was hampered by hot temps and a tight engine, but I imagine it will do 165ish, maybe a bit more with a CAI. 720 makes the same or more RWHP and weighs 400 lbs less. Keep in mind it traps 145+ in the quarter, which is at least 10 mph more than early ZR1 tests.

Adam can chime in on lap times by a pro, but as he mentioned, this ZR1 was hampered by the non ZTK suspension and base seats. I would imagine, all being equal, that the 720 is still an easy 2-3 sec faster at CoTA. I'll let you know when the same day A-B comparison happens.

Last edited by DoctorV8; 05-29-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:09 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Your off base pal......Your putting your foot in yours when you don't need to. ..... Since I have no idea what your talking about.
You also seem to have no idea when to use "You're" instead of "your."

I know, I know....this is the Corvette forum, not the Grammar forum........
The following 3 users liked this post by DoctorV8:
CorvettoBrando (05-30-2018), jvp (05-29-2018), Z06Fiend (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:20 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
Heh. Heh. Hehhhhhh. I think I know what car he's referring to.
You do........but ya know, I'm rethinking my decision after reading 3Z06's posts. It's even more overpriced and way uglier than even the 720s. Replacement rotors alone cost as much as a well equipped Stingray. Maybe I'll get a fleet of C5Z's instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by DoctorV8:
Bwright (05-31-2018), jvp (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:30 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

You do........but ya know, I'm rethinking my decision after reading 3Z06's posts. It's even more overpriced and way uglier than even the 720s. Replacement rotors alone cost as much as a well equipped Stingray. Maybe I'll get a fleet of C5Z's instead.
I could use a car to get me into spec corvette.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

3Z06ZR1,

BTW!
All stuff I already know! You can spend on more cars all you want.
I have a brother who farms and collects tractors l lost count at 20.

If I was interested about others and their car collection's I would start with Jay Leno . Maybe pick up a good magazine or two. I'm happy in my choices in cars and my own skin.
I have been buying land not McLarens, Could have bought one this summer. $ 390,000.00 was paid to me for one of my houses I sold I owned free and clear. Gain was 200k so no capital gains. EASY
COULD HAVE A 720s maybe two if I really wanted. One piece of my
land listed was zoned R1 so I did just did do a partial sale. 9 acre's
for 250k but the buyer pays for the survey that is 30k and all costs of the sale . It leaves me with 4 sections all 2 listing at 400k plus 1 more at 150k each all free and clear. The 85 acre one I just bought is over 500k when I list it!

I bought a second Z06 at a huge discount. I found a huge value in buying 85 acre's of tree's instead. 340 million people in the US
means your wasting your time writing a novel to just me about your cars. Maybe try the exotic forum.

My car plans are calculated out to what I want not based on your write-up. The ME Corvette will be a few years yet till the HP model comes out. I'll wait! Try to be happy with 2 800hp Z06's. Which with the A8 also runs 9's in the 140's. Plus they weigh less than 3500 each.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:52 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
The 2:00 min mark puts the GT3 debate at rest. You can see how far behind ZR1 is initially and how he quickly closes that gap. Almost feels like GT3 is in a different league.
A few things to note:

There is no telling how hard any driver is pushing on a track day. Their speed is usually based on skill and comfort far more than available vehicle performance.

That video is of a Callaway Z06, prepped specifically for the track apparently.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Maybe I'll get a fleet of C5Z's instead.
But... but... but... What will you drive to Cars and Coffee?!
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
Bwright (05-31-2018), DoctorV8 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 03:59 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

I have been buying land not McLarens, Could have bought one this summer. $ 390,000.00 was paid to me for one of my houses I sold I owned free and clear. Gain was 200k so no capital gains. EASY
COULD HAVE A 720s maybe two if I really wanted. O
Hey dingleberry, only your primary home is eligible for the $250k ( because I assume you can only be single) profit exclusion. More reason why we collectively don't believe much of anything you post. Can I see both Z06s in a single photo by the way?

CYA Edit - this is not to be considered tax or legal advice and is presented for informational purposes only. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.

Last edited by fleming23; 05-29-2018 at 04:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fleming23:
CorvettoBrando (05-30-2018), DoctorV8 (05-29-2018), rflow306 (05-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 oil temp at 271 degrees in two laps??

Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

One piece of my
land listed was zoned R1 so I did just did do a partial sale. 9 acre's
for 250k but the buyer pays for the survey that is 30k and all costs of the sale . It leaves me with 4 sections all 2 listing at 400k plus 1 more at 150k each all free and clear. The 85 acre one I just bought is over 500k when I list it!
Your waisting time talking too me about land. All I need to know about trees I learned in 1978 listening to a great song by Rush. Maybe try posting in a tree forum.

Try to be happy with 2 800hp Z06's. Which with the A8 also runs 9's in the 140's. Plus they weigh less than 3500 each.
Nice, let's see you turn some road course laps in the summer and see how they hold up next to an overpriced poseur exotic after a 30 minute session!
The following users liked this post:
bbison (06-08-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:25 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fleming23
Hey dingleberry, only your primary home is eligible for the $250k ( because I assume you can only be single) profit exclusion. More reason why we collectively don't believe much of anything you post. Can I see both Z06s in a single photo by the way?

CYA Edit - this is not to be considered tax or legal advice and is presented for informational purposes only. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.
Hey I got your dingle berry pal! Leave me off of the family names! It was my primary home first home I stopped working and moved. My accountant and tax lady already has the right answers for me. Here is 4 plus stall of garage with 2 Z06's. I have another 4 stall I just built in December and another 3 stall at my double deck beach home as well.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 05-29-2018 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvettoBrando (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:44 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Good on ya, I will honestly say I'm surprised. Jealous though, not even remotely.

Quick Reply: ZR1 oil temp at 271 degrees in two laps??