C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Why only slow releasing allocations??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:29 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
The Factory has been on overtime for months. Whats going on?
If you are talking about BGA itself, it has been doing 10 hour days for months, 116 units per day, Mondays through Thursdays only. I do not know what the ZR1 CF supplier has been doing, but even if you are referring to it and it has been doing overtime for months, as jvp noted, 42 wings per week is its maximum capacity.

Several of us have been posting for months and month that the visible carbon fiber is the limitation on ZR1 production. I heard that myself talking with Harlan while at it LA private reveal. I posted it then, a couple of times since, yet few believed it then, and few believe it now.

Sorry, but those are the facts. Do we now think that GM, since the ZR1 is hotter than hot right now, that if they could double or even 50% increase weekly production, that they would not choose to do that. Hell, there are many dealers who have zero ZR1 allocation through next March (the end of 2019 production), who have been clamoring at GM, “I could sell some ZR1’s if you gave me an allocation.”

The 2019 ZR1’s production is supplier limited — and thus capped at 2,500 US units between its March 1st introduction and its end of March, 2019 production.

Last edited by elegant; 05-29-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-29-2018, 10:00 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Some of us are getting tired of waiting and losing interest , no need to have a car delivered in Michigan winter
Standard equipped it comes with a carbon Fiber snow plow
Old 05-31-2018, 05:54 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
If you are talking about BGA itself, it has been doing 10 hour days for months, 116 units per day, Mondays through Thursdays only. I do not know what the ZR1 CF supplier has been doing, but even if you are referring to it and it has been doing overtime for months, as jvp noted, 42 wings per week is its maximum capacity.

Several of us have been posting for months and month that the visible carbon fiber is the limitation on ZR1 production. I heard that myself talking with Harlan while at it LA private reveal. I posted it then, a couple of times since, yet few believed it then, and few believe it now.

Sorry, but those are the facts. Do we now think that GM, since the ZR1 is hotter than hot right now, that if they could double or even 50% increase weekly production, that they would not choose to do that. Hell, there are many dealers who have zero ZR1 allocation through next March (the end of 2019 production), who have been clamoring at GM, “I could sell some ZR1’s if you gave me an allocation.”

The 2019 ZR1’s production is supplier limited — and thus capped at 2,500 US units between its March 1st introduction and its end of March, 2019 production.
Couldn’t they just increase the demand from the carbon fiber supplier and or get an additional one if they can’t handle the demand? Doesn’t make sense to not strike while the iron is hot so to speak...just sayin

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 05-31-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:55 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Great post. In recent years many of the constraints would be on the quality visible carbon fiber parts like roof panels and ground effects. For example you may have ordered a Z06 with carbon flash painted CF and your order was accepted, but somebody else who ordered with visible CF had to wait out a constraint. Apparently there are not a lot of sources for the visible CF.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Anthony D'Aloisio
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by khoeysr
Great post. In recent years many of the constraints would be on the quality visible carbon fiber parts like roof panels and ground effects. For example you may have ordered a Z06 with carbon flash painted CF and your order was accepted, but somebody else who ordered with visible CF had to wait out a constraint. Apparently there are not a lot of sources for the visible CF.
This is great info. My car is sitting in BGA’s transport carrier lot since it’s 5/21 build date with no approval for release. Dealer is without aero kit confirmation of delivery date! Maybe not available yet and BGA won’t release a car to dealer unable to pdi?
Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 PM
zedbyers
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony d'aloisio

this is great info. My car is sitting in bga’s transport carrier lot since it’s 5/21 build date with no approval for release. Dealer is without aero kit confirmation of delivery date! Maybe not available yet and bga won’t release a car to dealer unable to pdi?
ztk??
Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Anthony D'Aloisio
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by zedbyers
ztk??
Sorry, yes it’s ZTK. AW A8 coupe, JB int, red caliper, red stitch and belts the simple stuff lol. No known constraints thru build pick up process, was ordered Feb/23 picked up for prod first part of March and lingered without tpw till mid April with a tpw of 5/21 which was built on that Monday.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

My allocation was accepted and should be at 3000 by this Wednesday!
Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Jamie Parsons
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
I don’t know if that is the reason...first of all not all will be built with the ZTK Package and it’s not like they are saying “If you don’t want the ZTK wing your car will arrive quicker”
As I understand it both the low and high wings come from a company called BeBotech and they are having issues producing the wings.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jamie Parsons
As I understand it both the low and high wings come from a company called BeBotech and they are having issues producing the wings.
The can only produce just over 40 ZR1's per week due to the manufacturing process at the supplier from what I understand, I haven't heard of anything going on constraint which would mean there is an issue getting whatever item is on constraint.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:03 AM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

http://debotech.com/gallery/OEM/8343
Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wstaab
Made in Mooresvile NC...nice
Old 06-27-2018, 02:24 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
So wing theft is going to be a problem? Damn it. Doesn't anyone make wing locks?
As this was posted Vendors are now working on it! It'll be cheap too!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:42 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
But they can't. That's just the thing. The CF wings take too long to build. The tooling for them isn't something GM can just buy off the shelf. It's a slow process: 42/week at most and no more than that. Period. Full stop. End of story.
The layman might be convinced of this....the Production Man says build a 2nd set of Rate Tooling and find a 2nd fabrication source.....no Manufacturer should have a single source bottleneck that would kill Production in the event of a catastrophic event (e.g. autoclave down indefinitely)….been there done that lol! This is traditionally done with Composite Manufacturing and before you go there JVP yes, I have over 20 years Experience in Managing Large Scale Composite Manufacturing Facilities that build parts smaller than these all the way to complete Aircraft Body Sections/Wings so I likely know what I'm talking about when it comes to Nickle and Dime parts the size of C7 Carbon Fiber parts!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:04 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JMB
The layman might be convinced of this....the Production Man says build a 2nd set of Rate Tooling and find a 2nd fabrication source.....no Manufacturer should have a single source bottleneck that would kill Production in the event of a catastrophic event (e.g. autoclave down indefinitely)….been there done that lol! This is traditionally done with Composite Manufacturing and before you go there JVP yes, I have over 20 years Experience in Managing Large Scale Composite Manufacturing Facilities that build parts smaller than these all the way to complete Aircraft Body Sections/Wings so I likely know what I'm talking about when it comes to Nickle and Dime parts the size of C7 Carbon Fiber parts!
So are you saying they more than likely have more than one source for these parts?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:23 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

So are you saying they more than likely have more than one source for these parts?
No they don't. The poster obviously doesn't have a clue the way things work at the General
Old 06-27-2018, 07:42 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

No they don't, that IS their problem!

Get notified of new replies

To Why only slow releasing allocations??

Old 06-27-2018, 07:46 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

No they don't. The poster obviously doesn't have a clue the way things work at the General
It's probably not a good idea to "think" you know someone's background/capabilities/business understanding based on nothing....you might be a little surprised if you did! I have a complete understand of how "cheap" GM is when it comes to 2nd sources and paying for rate tooling since I was also a potential supplier bidding for their work, and you?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by JMB
It's probably not a good idea to "think" you know someone's background/capabilities/business understanding based on nothing....you might be a little surprised if you did! I have a complete understand of how "cheap" GM is when it comes to 2nd sources and paying for rate tooling since I was also a potential supplier bidding for their work, and you?
Thanks for clearing that up. You are bitter you did not get the contract so you are bashing the General. I know who and what I need to know. The thread is about ALLOCATIONS not GM Supplier politics. Production of the ZR1 was never planned to be on the same level as the Z06.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:55 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Thanks for clearing that up. You are bitter you did not get the contract so you are bashing the General. I know who and what I need to know. The thread is about ALLOCATIONS not GM Supplier politics. Production of the ZR1 was never planned to be on the same level as the Z06.
I concur about the Planned Production level of the ZR1 as the basis for low rate Production but I don't hold grudges nor do I allow Business to dictate how I feel personally. Have a great day and I'm glad to see that you'll be smiling soon with your new ZR1 arrival!
The following users liked this post:
DebRedZR1 (06-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Why only slow releasing allocations??