C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 Pace Car at Detroit just crashed

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Like how would you know what it was or wasn't set on! Then I 'm sure you could wreak with nannies on them on happens everyday!
He hit the curve hit the brakes right on the high spot. Thought he was superman and found the guy going slow around the curve. Total dumbass!
You can see the rear tire marks as he stays in the throttle after it stepped out. Sport 1 would have at a minimum turned in to a tank slapper. Any PTM mode would've cut power and not left darkies as the car went around. That's why I think he had everything off.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 09:15 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Reading this forum frequently reminds of this TR quote.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." — Theodore Roosevelt
The following 6 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
65fastback (06-03-2018), badhabit_wb (06-04-2018), Bobert (06-04-2018), djnice (06-04-2018), RoketRdr (06-03-2018), Too-Fast (06-04-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,157 Likes on 897 Posts

Looks like he turned off the traction control for some stupid reason. Ran out of talent right off the bat.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

As I started another thread on the topic and thought "how could that happen?" I'll give the driver and the car the benefit of the doubt. But, reading some of the potential explanations from Poor and Foosh, plus the quals of the driver from Joe, now, I'm REALLY wanting to find out what went wrong. Very frequently, it's driver error. But this could be something else. Or both.

Does anyone know, or think we will ever find out the real reason why the accident happened?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:27 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
As I started another thread on the topic and thought "how could that happen?" I'll give the driver and the car the benefit of the doubt. But, reading some of the potential explanations from Poor and Foosh, plus the quals of the driver from Joe, now, I'm REALLY wanting to find out what went wrong. Very frequently, it's driver error. But this could be something else. Or both.

Does anyone know, or think we will ever find out the real reason why the accident happened?
I’m going to blame it on the A8 shuda had the triple flush🤣🤣
Old 06-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Default Warning to all....

Guys,

I know this is a big event. And NO ONE knows exactly how the ZR1 was set up.

You all can argue forever, but until it's revealed what settings the car had on (and we'll probably never know exactly what happened and how it was set up), it's all useless and irrelevant to get mad at each other.

I'll say it again, if we can DEBATE this event like adults, I'll close the thread. And I really don't want to close this thread.....

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-03-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:44 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Betya he gets a call from Mary Barra tomorrow!
See post #80.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Humility.. if the wall wasn't there? it's a funny tale about how it could have gotten ugly.. unfortunately that's not the case.

He was reminded of his limits as a driver and this was i'm sure, an invaluable lesson for one day at another track when he is travelling much faster to remember the little things. For the life of me I can't get how after all that C7 specific experience cool tires and an obviously unfamiliar corner snuck up on him? that's the mind-boggling part but again, we're only human.

Heck, maybe this will save a few other driver's wanting to get a little loose with their own high hp cars (especially the Mustang owners... we all know what they can do lol).

For me, my lightly modded LS3 C6 taught me early on that when on the street nothing beyond Comp mode was "OK" after a simple 20 mile 180 degree spin from a stop on an off ramp. that was all i needed tobe convinced i was out of my comfort zone with the corvette.. and that's coming from muscle cars which had more power but different driving characteristics..

Corvettes are different animals all together.. change direction like nothing short of a 911 when it's starts to go.. ESPECIALLY on these run flats when cold!

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-03-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

The concept of a celebrity driver for the pace car simply makes no sense. They should abandon that.

In Formula 1 they always use the same driver, Berndt Maylander,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_Mayl%C3%A4nder

and he is extremely experienced and he drives an AMG GT-R safety car that he knows very well, previously was an AMG GT-S which is a model he also happens to own personally and he knows how to drive it, and does not crash into walls either in the wet or the dry whether he is in front of Lewis Hamilton of Sebastian Vettel, who are always pushing him to the limit to go faster. And when I met him, he told me they drive on Pirelli road tires and not on the PSC2's the GT-R comes equipped with as they have to be ready at any moment to get out on track with cold tires whether rain or shine, and there is never any time to swap tires.

That is the pro way.
The following 6 users liked this post by descartesfool:
AORoads (06-04-2018), Foosh (06-03-2018), nist7 (06-05-2018), sdurg24 (06-04-2018), sunsalem (06-04-2018), Xvoyager (06-03-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just curious....... as I was watching it on TV, but couldn't tell HOW FAST would he have been going when the back end broke loose? Looking at these type of race cars, it looks like they are sitting still at 100 so I have no idea how fast the pace car would have been driving.

What a shame....
Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I'd blame the chrome wheels.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

**** happens, anyone tracking these cars knows, sometimes mistakes happen, whether it's driver error, surface temps, tire temps, bumps or a combination... no one wrecks on purpose, and even nannies cannot save you all the time.

Glad they're ok, and will probably reinforce to all of those taking their 'performance car' on the track, to be aware, stuff can go wrong quickly.

My personal opinion of what happened (which without them posting the PDR we'll never know)... is that he didn't turn anything off... the cars nanny's will let you 'slide' a little bit in every mode, it stepped out quickly, at a good pace with little run off room.

I've made mistakes and wrecked a couple of cars... the keyboard hero's never cease to amaze me with their remarks.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 06-03-2018 at 10:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave Schotz:
Nick__S (06-04-2018), sd7ss (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
The concept of a celebrity driver for the pace car simply makes no sense. They should abandon that.

and he is extremely experienced and he drives an AMG GT-R safety car that he knows very well, previously was an AMG GT-S which is a model he also happens to own personally and he knows how to drive it, and does not crash into walls either in the wet or the dry whether he is in front of Lewis Hamilton of Sebastian Vettel, who are always pushing him to the limit to go faster. And when I met him, he told me they drive on Pirelli road tires and not on the PSC2's the GT-R comes equipped with as they have to be ready at any moment to get out on track with cold tires whether rain or shine, and there is never any time to swap tires.

That is the pro way.
He was only driving the pace car for the parade lap, Oriel Servia is the official pace car driver for the entire race, except the parade lap.

Last edited by Thunder22; 06-03-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bac?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom760
GM is looking for a new Head of Product Development...Ha!
It looked like he had active handling off. He should have known better being the head of product development.

Looked like he didn’t even let off the gas. The guy needed to spend more time in a rear wheel drive car with no nannies sliding around snow covered parking lots as a 15 and 1/2 year old with a learners permit. He can tell his boss at gm it’s his dad’s fault for not letting him experiment sliding the station wagon around.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-03-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Dave! ;)

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
You can see the rear tire marks as he stays in the throttle after it stepped out. Sport 1 would have at a minimum turned in to a tank slapper. Any PTM mode would've cut power and not left darkies as the car went around. That's why I think he had everything off.
Meet Poor-sha!

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
**** happens, anyone tracking these cars knows, sometimes mistakes happen, whether it's driver error, surface temps, tire temps, bumps or a combination... no one wrecks on purpose, and even nannies cannot save you all the time.

Glad they're ok, and will probably reinforce to all of those taking their 'performance car' on the track, to be aware, stuff can go wrong quickly.

My personal opinion of what happened (which without them posting the PDR we'll never know)... is that he didn't turn anything off... the cars nanny's will let you 'slide' a little bit in every mode, it stepped out quickly, at a good pace with little run off room.

I've made mistakes and wrecked a couple of cars... the keyboard hero's never cease to amaze me with their remarks.

Best Regards,
Dave
This immediately looked like his interventions had been limited! It rained and the track was green.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-03-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool

That is the pro way.
this says a lot. If Maylander uses Pirelli’s for these reasons maybe the c7z’s need to come with that tire as the standard issue. Versus the Michelin options for the street which I am of the opinion are Terrible tires on the street for these cars.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Pace Car at Detroit just crashed

Old 06-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Did they say why one competitor was putting so far back. To me it looked like pace car driver was unprepared for a car in the middle of track driving so slow.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a good laugh with some of the comments, keep them coming.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Betya he gets a call from Mary Barra tomorrow!
............bet he had it tonight

Quick Reply: ZR1 Pace Car at Detroit just crashed