C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 Pace Car at Detroit just crashed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by madrob2020
There are so-o-o many "Xspurts" on here & yet I would hazard a guess none of them have actual "I made money racing with the Pros" experience. Kinda like the guys playing American Legion baseball, plays 18 holes on weekend, etc., watching TV & spotting all the flaws in the Pro players swings, putting, driving, etc. Not saying there aren't bonafide very good part time race car drivers with a ton of experience here, but to keep putting fwd unfounded "I know the why, I don't need no stink'n evidence" is a touch irresponsible. Can you imagine how much laughing the Pro circuit guys would do if they read some of these posts. Oh wait, they're out there earning a living at your "pastime". No bullying please, just like everyone on here I can have an opinion, even if wrong.
You clearly don't realize it, but there are several "pros," as defined by sanctioned and certified active track instructors on this thread, who have all said similar things about this incident, mostly that cold tires and DSC/TC partially or fully disabled more than likely were among the causes.

They've mostly stopped participating now because there is so much nonsense being spewed here.

Yes, it was parade lap, but it wouldn't be the first time someone got over-enthusiastic on one of those, and he did it by nailing it when leaving the pits.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-05-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I see a bunch of white cars in front of the actual race car that is in front of Mark's ZR1. Were they driving at "professional" race car drivers speeds or slow pace car parade speeds? I wonder why they didn't also wreck if the weather and track conditions were so horrible and the bump in the track is so bad that it can upset a car being driven slow that is designed to be driven on bumpy roads.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-05-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

They had been running warm-up laps for some time before Mr. Reuss made his grand entrance from the pits, supposedly to collect them up for a parade lap, and were at constant speed. No one was going very fast, but someone did hit the throttle very hard coming out of the pits.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-05-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Real similar was my leaving a self serve car wash a long time ago! ;)

C5 ZO6 slipping/spinning right turn was stopped in its tracks!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-05-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
They had been running warm-up laps for some time before Mr. Reuss made his grand entrance from the pits, supposedly to collect them up for a parade lap.
If Mr. Reuss was to 'collect them up' for a parade lap, why did he wait to pull out so far after the white cars had gone by.

Pace laps I've ever seen, the "pace car" pulls out in front of everyone, not in the middle of them, in order to collect them.

Being that the race had not even started, all the race cars should have been in proper starting order, so why is one of the race cars in front of the "Pace" car?

So much about this "accident" that doesn't make sense.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-05-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When I have the nannies on I can break the tires loose on my Supercharged Mercedes, my old 345 HP C5 and my 505+ HP Z06.

Only on the C5 was the traction control excessive and would almost shut the car down when the rear tires were trying to spin. Not so with my Mercedes or my Z06.

On my Z06, I can spin the rear tires all the way to 90 MPH under WOT and the car fishtails the entire time, but the stability control(tuned on) keeps the car from spinning out of control. The traction control only limits the amount of spin. It does not cut the power to completely stop the spinning.

I have had my Z06 get sideways on me with all the nannies on because I was too aggressive in a corner and the stability control didn't stop it. I did as I was supposed to do, steering into the slide, and modulated the throttle to keep from spinning out. The Corvette's stability control does not override the laws of physics.

I've also had the rear end kick out under WOT at 140 MPH coming out of turn 2 at Talladega(with all the nannies turned on). You can have fun on a race track, at speeds way about "parade lap" speeds and not have to turn off the nannies to do so.
Yes, but have you done so with C7 stability aids? If they were all on that slide does not happen and certainly the wheels are not spinning that fast while it's going sideways. That pretty much nullifies any malfunction argument. There are ZERO brake lights until after he hits the wall which is actually dumbfounding. How do you not know when you have lost the car with his stated credentials? He accelerates pretty much until contact with the wall.

What you have to understand is the concept of yaw sensors. If he was slightly straight, with little lateral G, he could spin the tires more without interruption. But wheel slide and lateral g will set off any good stability control and the c7 is the best I've driven. It only cuts enough power to keep you from spinning but not kill you speed. However I think the times I have driven them, they were in sport mode, not competition mode, and still wouldnt lt me do what he did. Power is cut and then restored very quickly.

ALL of the evidence points to no stability control and a showoff attempt regardless of what apologists might say.

The reason this discussion needs to be had is so that owners and potential owners can understand that you would have to try to do this. There was nothing wrong with that car, except maybe a poor alignment, but even then, the driver caused the accident. The C7 has amazing stability controls to keeping exactly this from happening, but only if you allow it to by keeping nannies on.
The following 4 users liked this post by heavychevy:
Foosh (06-05-2018), lavett (06-05-2018), rikhek (06-06-2018), sunsalem (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:45 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
Wonder what the salvage value is on the car.
Maybe it will be put on display at the NCM as an object lesson on what not to do in a ZR1...

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Y The C7 has amazing stability controls to keeping exactly this from happening, but only if you allow it to by keeping nannies on.
I second that about the stability controls.
I have never even been in a car that can do what the C7 can do in that dept.
It truly is something GM's engineers should be proud of.

Last edited by sunsalem; 06-05-2018 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lavett (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

GM’s statement…
“It is unfortunate that this incident happened. Many factors contributed, including weather and track conditions. The car’s safety systems performed as expected.”

Mark Reuss’ statement…
“I want to thank you all for your well wishes today. I am ok. I have driven this course many many many times. I have paced this race in the wet, cold, hot, and calm. On Z06’s, Grand Sports, and other things. It is never a casual thing for me, but an honor to be asked. Today I let down my friends, my family, Indycar, our city and my company. Sorry does not describe it. I want to thank our engineers for providing me the safety I know is the best in the world.”

Our next “Ask Tadge” question should be… “Was Stabilitrak working correctly when Mark Reuss crashed the ZR1 pace car”?
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 PM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Being that the race had not even started, all the race cars should have been in proper starting order, so why is one of the race cars in front of the "Pace" car?
That lone car is the two seater that Mario Andretti drives with a celebrity in the back seat during the parade laps. In some of the clips of the crash one of the commentators says, “It’s almost like he didn’t expect to see the 2 seater there”.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Perhaps 755 HP and only RWD doesn't make much sense.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If Mr. Reuss was to 'collect them up' for a parade lap, why did he wait to pull out so far after the white cars had gone by.

Pace laps I've ever seen, the "pace car" pulls out in front of everyone, not in the middle of them, in order to collect them.

So much about this "accident" that doesn't make sense.
Race control tells him when to get on the track, ask them
Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Tadge said the C7 platform was done at 650 HP!?

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Perhaps 755 HP and only RWD doesn't make much sense.
Same Tires!? Electronics on makes sense!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

For those not familiar with the C7 stability control this is my C7 Z06 in Track - Sport 1. It was a cool rainy day and I went out on slicks.

The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Foosh (06-05-2018), lavett (06-05-2018), sunsalem (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ Yes, but you approached at about 60 mph. If you were going sufficiently faster, the nannies on probably wouldn't have saved you, would they?

In other words, it's possible to exceed the capacity/ability of the nannies to save a car.

Last edited by AORoads; 06-05-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Having tried to drive my C7 Z06 in any Sport or Race without using PTM modes, it was pointless for me. The nannies intervened at various areas around the track (Sebring T3, T7, T10, T16, Daytona T3, T5, T6). I think it would be VERY hard to loop the car with the "nannies" on, if not nearly impossible.
There were no brake lights when the car went hard left and the tires were spinning.
S.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
^^^ Yes, but you approached at about 60 mph. If you were going sufficiently faster, the nannies on probably wouldn't have saved you, would they?

In other words, it's possible to exceed the capacity/ability of the nannies to save a car.
Obviously, if you go into a hairpin at 100 mph without braking, nothing is going to save you from going for an off-track ride. However, in this case we're talking about someone who suddenly nailed the throttle in a turn immediately after coming out of the pits. That wasn't a high-speed accident, it was a classic Cars and Coffee accident.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Foosh
However, in this case we're talking about someone who suddenly nailed the throttle in a turn immediately after coming out of the pits. That wasn't a high-speed accident, it was a classic Cars and Coffee accident.
Yes, it will save it. You can go WOT and it'll detect steering input and yaw rate and it'll pull power instantly.
Also, where is there proof that this happened right "out of the pits"?
The nonsense from people who don't understand how the the systems in the C7 work is ridiculous.

Who cares what 20-year old C6 Z06 does. Or a 30-year old C5. Or...LMFAO...a 25 year old supercharged Mercedes. FWIW...I bought a brand new E55 back in 2006. I could FLOOR that car, in the rain and never lose it. And that was ~20 years ago.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Pace Car at Detroit just crashed

Old 06-06-2018, 12:23 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, I am in total agreement that the accident under discussion would not have happened had both DSC and TC been fully on. That was exactly my point, and I've maintained that repeatedly throughout this lengthy, tortured, and merged thread.

You snipped my post in quoting, and I was answering a different question about whether those very capable and awesome systems would save you in all circumstances like plowing into a low speed corner at high speed without braking. The answer is "no."

Discussions here are maddening because few read enough to understand the context of individual posts before responding. The nannies won't save you from driving in a straight line at 100 mph into a brick wall either. By "Cars and Coffee accident" I meant hot dogs who turn the nannies off to try to impress spectators when leaving car shows. Sunday's accident looked a lot like that at a "car show" in the parade lap.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-06-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

When is wet, especially on slicks, aquaplaning is the risk. That is essentially driving on ice. There is no grip for the car to use to save you, it's trying and in the video you can see that a split second of grip was all the system needed to save a spin. The car at indy had far more grip than slicks in the rain. As long as there is a consistent coefficient of friction (grip) the car can pretty much prevent any spins. You'd have to try really hard to defeat it. And thank goodness because otherwise the average driver would have no chance in this car.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMMMMM

Our next “Ask Tadge” question should be… “Was Stabilitrak working correctly when Mark Reuss crashed the ZR1 pace car”?
That would be a useless exercise....trust me here.

Sure, it's possible...but he really wasn't going fast enough to defeat the system (if engaged).

Quick Reply: ZR1 Pace Car at Detroit just crashed