C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 HX system

Old 06-07-2018, 08:24 PM
mr056
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ZR1 HX system

Does anyone know if it has 3 intercoolers? One on each cheek, and one in the center, or just the two on the cheeks? How many hx pumps?

Last edited by mr056; 06-07-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Popular Reply

06-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Vehicles with LT5 use three charge air cooling radiators: two outboard coolers in front of the auxiliary radiators in the front corners of the vehicle, and one radiator in the front center of the vehicle, in front of the condenser and the main engine radiator. There is no remote reservoir, surge tank, or drain plug in the LT5 charge air cooling system. Since there is not a drain plug, the coolant is drained by disconnecting the hoses at the respective charge air cooling radiators. The coolant is filled via quick connect tee fittings at the inlet ports of the supercharger.

Two electric pumps are located between the main engine radiator and the two outboard cooler modules. The driver side pump is used to pump coolant from the bottom half of the center radiator to the inboard driver side port of the supercharger, where it passes through a heat exchanger and absorbs heat from the compressed air. The coolant then flows out of the outboard driver side supercharger port and down to the bottom of the driver side outboard cooler. After passing through the outboard cooler, the coolant flows through the top half of the center charge air cooling radiator for further cooling. The passenger side electric pump then pumps the coolant up to the inboard passenger side port of the supercharger, where it again absorbs heat from the compressed air, and exits through the outboard passenger side supercharger port. It then flows through the passenger side outboard cooler and through the bottom half of the center charge air cooling radiator, at which point it begins the cycle again.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-07-2018, 08:27 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I believe it is 3, each of the front bumper openings is a stack of an intercooler radiator and an engine coolant radiator.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 PM
mr056
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I believe it is 3, each of the front bumper openings is a stack of an intercooler radiator and an engine coolant radiator.
would you know how many hx pumps it has? I just talked to parts dept and they told me each hx has one.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by mr056
would you know how many hx pumps it has? I just talked to parts dept and they told me each hx has one.
I'm afraid I do not know.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Correct. 3 of each.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by mr056
Two
Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Katech_Zach

Vehicles with LT5 use three charge air cooling radiators: two outboard coolers in front of the auxiliary radiators in the front corners of the vehicle, and one radiator in the front center of the vehicle, in front of the condenser and the main engine radiator. There is no remote reservoir, surge tank, or drain plug in the LT5 charge air cooling system. Since there is not a drain plug, the coolant is drained by disconnecting the hoses at the respective charge air cooling radiators. The coolant is filled via quick connect tee fittings at the inlet ports of the supercharger.

Two electric pumps are located between the main engine radiator and the two outboard cooler modules. The driver side pump is used to pump coolant from the bottom half of the center radiator to the inboard driver side port of the supercharger, where it passes through a heat exchanger and absorbs heat from the compressed air. The coolant then flows out of the outboard driver side supercharger port and down to the bottom of the driver side outboard cooler. After passing through the outboard cooler, the coolant flows through the top half of the center charge air cooling radiator for further cooling. The passenger side electric pump then pumps the coolant up to the inboard passenger side port of the supercharger, where it again absorbs heat from the compressed air, and exits through the outboard passenger side supercharger port. It then flows through the passenger side outboard cooler and through the bottom half of the center charge air cooling radiator, at which point it begins the cycle again.
The following 10 users liked this post by Katech_Zach:
billw4559 (06-18-2018), dmaxx3500 (07-24-2018), ilkSurfer (07-24-2018), IM4A2Z (06-15-2018), Mikec7z (07-25-2018), octaneman (06-12-2018), OnPoint (06-08-2018), Poor-sha (06-08-2018), SBC_and_a_stick (07-24-2018), wildgoat (07-25-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

I have a feeling the 2 pumps on the zr1 do not shut off for 3 minutes at a time like the z06 pumps do. Instead, i believe the flow of one pump purges the collected air from the second pump, IF the second pump shuts off for a brief time, like 5 seconds, or even just slightly reduces its speed, and they alternate like a sin and cosin wave relative to each other. I believe they alternate back and forth their shutdown or slowing, on a relay timer, and they both run at the same time together 99% of the time, and take turns shutting off, each the other .5% of time.

OR

They could be on a non connected relay, and they each just shut down for 5 seconds or so or just go up and down in speed on their own, and its assumed their speeds will cross back and forth, purging the bubbles off of the others blades with higher flow speed than the other is spinning from time to time

Can anyone confirm my suspicions are correct?

What pump is GM using in these locations?... as in, what GM part number or numbers... (2 could have different numbers)?

Is there a separate relay they both are controlled by? What is its part number?

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-25-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM
wildgoat
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how the ZR1's cooling setup compares with GSPEED's in performance...
Old 07-25-2018, 03:04 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wildgoat
I wonder how the ZR1's cooling setup compares with GSPEED's in performance...
the biggest problem gspeeds system endures is the 3 min shut down can still occur... and when one runs an aftermarket blower like a 2.9, the cooling bricks inside the blower can be melted and damage an engine.

IF the zr1 eliminates the 3 min shutdown procedure, then it is light-years ahead of the z06 pump, as this 3 min shut down would no longer be an issue whatsoever.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-25-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM
wildgoat
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
this biggest problem gspeeds system endures is the 3 min shut down can still occur... and when one runs an aftermarket blower like a 2.9, the cooling bricks inside the blower can be melted and damage an engine.

IF the zr1 eliminates the 3 min shutdown procedure, then it is light-years ahead of the z06 pump, as this 3 min shut down would no longer be an issue whatsoever.
That is an important point Mikec7z. I think you should come out with your own cooling kit (ZR1-like setup with additional coolers in the rear of the car?).
Old 07-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wildgoat
That is an important point Mikec7z. I think you should come out with your own cooling kit (ZR1-like setup with additional coolers in the rear of the car?).
i dont have the time or facility to do this... but deity motorsports said that they have a rear bumper cover replacement for the current c7 rear end, already in the works... i mentioned to them how easy it would be to add some nice looking openings into the stock rear bumper cover's mold, and they could enter the cooling market. Even if HX were not behind the vents it would still relieve negative air void area behind the car.

If i did it on my personal car right now, it would just be cut aways out of the stock bumper cover... if deity or someone does it it will look like a million bucks if they take the time to taper in edges and maybe even create an extra bulge in the body to create more room for the HX on each side.

If someone wanted to go way over the top... they could make the entire space where the tail lights are... the opening to evacuate the air... and come out with a custom LED tail light that just does the perimeter or that stock tail light opening's shape, and has the 2 diagonals come down with LED on them, where the 2 diagonals already exist in the stock taillight design. I think it would look pretty wicked. The rest would just be a hollow cavity/vent, fed by the intakes at the top of the rear quarters. That rear quarter duct could be made to snag more air passing by, and take a bigger bite, if you will.

As far as the zr1 pumps go, they will improve ANY blower's cooling system they are put on, if they do what I believe GM has enabled them to do.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-25-2018 at 06:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wildgoat (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I noted that production cars were using similar full bumper heat exchanger systems for just 385hp back in October 2015!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590609973

Glad GM listened at some point. This system is essential for the Z06 too, and would even help greatly on GS and Z51, albeit with the supercharger HE's removed.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 HX system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 HX system