C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How does the allocation concept work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:23 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts
Default How does the allocation concept work?

Me: Do you have an allocation for MY2019?
Dealer: Yes

At this point how do I know when that car will be built so i can decide between multiple dealers? What questions do you ask to find out?
Old 06-09-2018, 01:28 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Lots of detailed info here. Best of luck!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...llocation.html

One additional note that if your dealer does not right this minute have an open allocation with a matched placed order (a one in 1,000), the next time a dealer with ZR1 allocation will be notified of their upcoming opening will be Thursday, June 21st. Then each third Thursday of the month’s following, right through sometime in January, 2019, those monthly notices will go out.

No dealer knows hard information about their ZR1 allocation future. Even the very biggest three dealers with their large allocations through the end of production in March, 2019, have no definitive information as to what is coming on those third Thursdays until it shows up on their computer.

Last edited by elegant; 06-09-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:50 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

^^^ I read that thread multiple times. What I was looking for was a bit more insight into how this works which you provided in your post. So unless a dealer is given an allocation that I take 3rd week of a particular month, its all BS at this point.

i wanted to know this because every company is different. With bmw you knew quarterly how many allocations each month you would be getting.

thank you very much for your help[/left]

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-10-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:14 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Every GM dealer learned their specific total ZR1 allocations for the 2019 production year last December. They will however, get them dribbled out during the whole time period, again learning specifics on the third Thursday of the month.

I talked with a top forum dealer yesterday, and he has consistently been getting about 1/12 of his total annual ZR1 allocation each month.

A very small allocation dealer, for example my local dealer who is getting only one ZR1 allocation for the entire 2019 model year, was told by his zone manager several months ago that “it’s highly probable you will not be getting that actual ZR1 order placement allocation until late this year, possibly the beginning of 2019.”

Last edited by elegant; 06-09-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:25 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

I read that thread multiple times. What I was looking for was a bit more insight into how this works which you provided in your post. So unless a dealer is given an allocation that I take 3rd week of a particular month, its all BS at this point.

i wanted to know this because every company is different. With bmw you knew quarterly how many allocations each month you would be getting.

thank you very much for your help
And HOW many multiple posts have we seen about this same thing ?
Dealers KNEW how many allocations they were getting in December. Most don't know what quarter it will get pulled for build. June's allocations will be for September- November. So if you haven't placed an order with a Dealer who had an actual allocation GOOD luck.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:32 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Maybe reply this needs to be a "sticky"!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:45 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
And HOW many multiple posts have we seen about this same thing ?
Dealers KNEW how many allocations they were getting in December. Most don't know what quarter it will get pulled for build. June's allocations will be for September- November. So if you haven't placed an order with a Dealer who had an actual allocation GOOD luck.
what does placing an order mean? How can one place an order without an assigned allocation from GM? In other words, “placing an order” can only happen after third week of the month allocation assignment happens, no?
Old 06-09-2018, 05:57 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Not really. Let’s assume I am a Chevy dealer and I order sedans, pickups, etc. I place that order by entering it into the GM WorkBench Connect software system. Never an issue unless that order is for a vehicle with limited availability.

So let’s say I tomorrow enter I order for a 2019 Grand Sport for stock (rare for my Wyoming farm dealership for the last time I entered a Corvette order (or sold one) was three years ago. No issue because GM now has the capacity to make every single non-ZR1 order, without even one option constraint, in just six weeks — and is routinely doing so.

Since I sold no Corvettes last year, I however have zero ZR1 allocation. A customer comes in and wants me to order one. Rather than my being straight with him, I enter his order — with every one of his chosen options. I filled out all required info, and that order within 24 hours becomes “status 1100.” That 2019 ZR1 will sit there forever at status 1100 until sometime next year (when GM removes for then only allowing 2020 orders).

If the dealership chooses to screen print that order to give to the customer the day after it is placed, the screen print paper will show status 1100 and if the customer looks that up, it will say “preliminarily accepted,” again something that is as worthless as a flight to the moon tomorrow on XYZ airlines.

An unscrupulous dealer with do this and when nagged by his customer either keep stringing them along (and many dealers without allocation did for 2014 Stingrays, and then 2015 Z06’s), or if that customers nags enough, the salesperson might try and say, “hey I can get you the Z06 of your dreams instead.”

I know this dealership crap happens way too often with unscrupulous dealers because I personally helped over 200 forum folks get their C7 from forum dealers and other dealers with allocations when those customer were being screwed over by their dealers without allocations (of course with nothing coming back to me other than the satisfaction of helping them get their Corvette in a timely manner.

Re a dealer with allocation, regarding ZR1’s right now, every Chevy dealer can today enter a ZR1 order, get it to 1100 status immediately, and there it will sit. However, for those dealer who get an actual allocation on June 21st, they will get that allocation and match it up with one of their previously submitted status 1100 ZR1 orders, and within no more than the remainder of the allocation six days later, most of the time by Saturday at midnight, that matched with an allocation order will have gone to not just status 2000 (“GM accepted”), but often all the way to status 3000 (“order accepted by production control”).

Last edited by elegant; 06-09-2018 at 06:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JDogg (06-11-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:23 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Thanks for all the great info here. It looks like majority of us are not getting a car this year then Maybe it's for the best.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:18 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Never say never, for many things can and will happen. First when the ZR1’s arrive at a dealership, some customers will for reasons of health, divorce, business issues, inability to get a loan, inability to get insurance with their carrier at a price they can afford, walk away from the car.

This happened just this week at one dealer.

When the Stingray came out, my friend who was late to the game, decided he was getting one but not paying over sticker. He spend the next two, 10-hour days calling 80 of the largest dealers, talking to a salesperson at each one. All said, “sorry.” A couple of days later, he again called each salesperson a second time (now that he has names and phone numbers) again. A day after that second round of calls, he got the call he was wanting, for that salesperson did not want to lose that sale commission to another salesperson in that dealership. He bought the car during that phone call and it was shipped to him two days later.

Second, for those who have lots of patience and want no other car, our best speculation but not yet confirmed, is that the ZR1 will be made during 2020 (possibly even 2021).

Best of luck.

Last edited by elegant; 06-10-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Rblase
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ZR1 Allocation Stress

Originally Posted by elegant
Never say never, for many things can and will happen. First when the ZR1’s arrive at a dealership, some customers will for reasons of health, divorce, business issues, inability to get a loan, inability to get insurance with their carrier at a price they can afford, walk away from the car.

This happened just this week at one dealer.

When the Stingray came out, my friend who was late to the game, decided he was getting one but not paying over sticker. He spend the next two, 10-hour days calling 80 of the largest dealers, talking to a salesperson at each one. All said, “sorry.” A couple of days later, he again called each salesperson a second time (now that he has names and phone numbers) again. A day after that second round of calls, he got the call he was wanting, for that salesperson did not want to lose that sale commission to another salesperson in that dealership. He bought the car during that phone call and it was shipped to him two days later.

Second, for those who have lots of patience and want no other car, our best speculation but not yet confirmed, is that the ZR1 will be made during 2020 (possibly even 2021).

Best of luck.
I was told by a dealer they had some allocations but they did not know when they would be picked up for production, they told me if I put $10,000 down (Non Refundable) I could have one of those allocations. I am also on two other dealers list if they get anymore allocations. I am a little stressed on what I should do. Either wait and hope or put $100,000 down. Is there anyway the dealer with the so called allocations can prove to me that it is a real allocation. .... Thank You for you time and help. Rick
Old 08-20-2018, 07:27 PM
Eaguero
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealership has an allocation that needs to be filled by Thursday 8/23 if anyone is interested.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rblase
I was told by a dealer they had some allocations but they did not know when they would be picked up for production, they told me if I put $10,000 down (Non Refundable) I could have one of those allocations. I am also on two other dealers list if they get anymore allocations. I am a little stressed on what I should do. Either wait and hope or put $100,000 down. Is there anyway the dealer with the so called allocations can prove to me that it is a real allocation. .... Thank You for you time and help. Rick
I would run away from your dealer, instead contract one of the honorable, with massive allocation, top forum dealers who are now taking deposits (and because of their allocations will be able to deliver).

Last edited by elegant; 02-20-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Rblase
Advanced

Thank You!

Last edited by Rblase; 02-20-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Rblase
Thank You!
If you really want a car at msrp, you can find them. Just follow the leads on the corvetteforum...
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 PM
Rblase
Advanced

Thank You, Mine has a TPW of March 4th so it should not be long now.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

I don’t have the numbers handy but remember when the initial Canadian MSRP was announced, GM had underpriced the car vs the $US price based on the then exchange rate. This doesn’t justify the dealer gouging; just saying, anyone who got a ZR1 in CANADA at $C MSRP was getting a hell of a deal. I believe it was about 10% cheaper based on the exchange rate. Currently 1 $C= .7591 $US

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 02-25-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How does the allocation concept work?

Old 03-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
... just saying, anyone who got a ZR1 in CANADA at $C MSRP was getting a hell of a deal. I believe it was about 10% cheaper based on the exchange rate. Currently 1 $C= .7591 $US
I did... and it was way over 10%... closer to 15% cheaper than US pricing.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:29 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Questar
I did... and it was way over 10%... closer to 15% cheaper than US pricing.
. And we Yoopers in Upper Michigan would say, as in many parts of Canada: “a hell of a deal, eh?”
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Tony Gutierrez
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Color Combo.

Quick Reply: How does the allocation concept work?