C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Anyone can post times up to fastestlaps, so yeah I would wait for some more official numbers.
i browsed fastestlaps more and the same guy posted numbers fot each 488 pista, mclaren senna, porscge gt2rs and gt3rs and of course zr1, saying they are all coming out in the same MT issue. Looking forward to the actual MT article but it does seem like a lot of strange effort if he made it all up.

in nutshell the lap times were (according to him)

senna 1:19.71
zr1 1:20.99
gt3rs 1:21.26
gt2rs 1:21.37
488 pista 1:22.01
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Interesting GT2RS relationship though! ;)

Originally Posted by Achmed
i browsed fastestlaps more and the same guy posted numbers fot each 488 pista, mclaren senna, porscge gt2rs and gt3rs and of course zr1, saying they are all coming out in the same MT issue. Looking forward to the actual MT article but it does seem like a lot of strange effort if he made it all up.

Sports Auto was faster in the GT3 RS at The Ring too!
Can Pobst make it really go?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-13-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

wow if true! McLaren came out to play. It’s nice to finally get some of those exotics in tests. Especially Ferrari!

Last edited by keagan; 06-13-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Sports Auto was faster in the GT3 RS at The Ring too!
Can Pobst make it really go?
Maybe the GT3RS had the "weissach package" and the GT2RS did not?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:59 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan

wow if true! McLaren came out to play. It’s nice to finally get some of those exoticsa in tests. Especially Ferrari!
Shocking, Ferrari usually never wants to come out and play. From everything I’ve read by magazines and journalist Ferrari has an attitude “if we’re not first we won’t show up”!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:08 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tbrenny33

Shocking, Ferrari usually never wants to come out and play. From everything I’ve read by magazines and journalist Ferrari has an attitude “if we’re not first we won’t show up”!
Lol, jokes on you Ferrari. I gotta say, the ZR1 is in some stiff competition. Even if it doesn't win, that's a hell of a group to be in company with.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:13 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,311 Likes on 989 Posts

In addition to the fact that the only one, any random buyer can just roll in a showroom and buy, is the ZR1. Both Porsches are gone to the 918 program owners, then the elite select few, same with the Pista. The Senna was sold out before it was on sale so...

Gotta love what ZR1 gives you; a true mass production, give us your cash and you get a car, deal.
The following 3 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
Bwright (06-13-2018), cvp33 (06-13-2018), keagan (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 11:20 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Maybe!? ;)

Maybe the GT3RS had the "weissach package" and the GT2RS did not?
More importantly, and interestingly, those Bad Boy Porsche's may be forced to move it if the ZR1 handles them well. (The ME Vette would then likely be walking on them.)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-13-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Great to see the ZR1 getting it done! Also, if true, extremely impressed with the 520 hp GT3RS putting down that sort of lap time!

Best Regards,
Dave

PS John Glenn, what trash were you talking about Randy running with everything off?

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 06-13-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:41 PM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the "hostboy" guy from fastestlaps gets his magazines earlier than others from where he works so he can get these lap times faster

I'm a Corvette guy n all but its dissapointing that the new Ford GT (which was marketed as a track car) is on average 2 secs slower than it's competition and almost 3 secs slower than the zr1, hope they make decked out version or something

Btw is that the new gt3 RS that just lapped a 6:56 at the nurburgring? Surprising how it's faster than the gt2 rs

Last edited by eyedeekay; 06-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
it's killing it at every track but Nurburbring. strange
The Ring is an unusual track because of its extreme length compared to "normal" road courses that are 2 to 3 miles long. Very easy to run a hero lap and keep the tires from falling apart.

I think the problem GM is having at the Ring with something as fast as the ZR1 is the tires. The private Viper Ring attempt last year ran into the same issue...the tires could not withstand the lateral G's, braking and downforce the car could produce for a track that long.

The first thing the Viper team was asked when they arrived is where are your Ring tires? Their response was this is a production car record attempt and we're using production car tires. Those in the know shook their heads and stated that the Porsches and Lambo's of the world have specially made tires when going for a Ring record attempt. So the super fast Porsche GT2 RS Ring time that was posted not long ago was not on stock production tires as what you'd get at the dealership as your take possession of your car. I don't think the GM guys would do that and neither did the guys running the Viper.

If the supercars get to run at Laguna Seca with Randy driving, I predict the ZR1 will post the fastest lap, period.....assuming the Euro cars don't show up with ringer tires. Pun intended, lol.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

For what track? Regardless, I would question the source of this information. I'm waiting for official reports.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:33 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
The Ring is an unusual track because of its extreme length compared to "normal" road courses that are 2 to 3 miles long. Very easy to run a hero lap and keep the tires from falling apart.

I think the problem GM is having at the Ring with something as fast as the ZR1 is the tires. The private Viper Ring attempt last year ran into the same issue...the tires could not withstand the lateral G's, braking and downforce the car could produce for a track that long.

The first thing the Viper team was asked when they arrived is where are your Ring tires? Their response was this is a production car record attempt and we're using production car tires. Those in the know shook their heads and stated that the Porsches and Lambo's of the world have specially made tires when going for a Ring record attempt. So the super fast Porsche GT2 RS Ring time that was posted not long ago was not on stock production tires as what you'd get at the dealership as your take possession of your car. I don't think the GM guys would do that and neither did the guys running the Viper.

If the supercars get to run at Laguna Seca with Randy driving, I predict the ZR1 will post the fastest lap, period.....assuming the Euro cars don't show up with ringer tires. Pun intended, lol.
the GT2RS ran sport cup 2 “R” compound tires!! Which I still have yet to see available for any other car let alone from somebody like tirerack.

Last edited by tbrenny33; 06-13-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
There likely isn't a tire made that can withstand a RWD heavier car on The Ring sub7!
The Proof is in the Pudding, they say!

Right! Now that we got that straight.

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Great to see the ZR1 getting it done! Also, if true, extremely impressed with the 520 hp GT3RS putting down that sort of lap time!

Best Regards,
Dave

PS John Glenn, what trash were you talking about Randy running with everything off?
Yes Dave (SCCA Champion). Pobst seemed a little loose in Atlanta in cooler conditions and he seemed to give up some time, as defined by GM.

Also, you might want to check out the manual GT3 2018 all together specs that ran The Ring, and PTV corner braking. Its locking mechanical Diff still uses it.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-13-2018 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skank (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Might this be the reason why Sport Auto got 6:58 with the GT2 RS??
Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzom
For what track? Regardless, I would question the source of this information. I'm waiting for official reports.
If those are true, the 720s ran 1:21.75 on wlow springs with p zero Corsa. Trofeo Rs net the p1 1.5 seconds in a similarly sized track, under that assumption the 720s falls around 1:20.0 to 1:20.5. Makes sense. I don't believe the gt2rs is slower than gt3rs unless tires were different.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-13-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:57 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Might this be the reason why Sport Auto got 6:58 with the GT2 RS??
the sport Auto guys are quite talented and experienced at the ring. But even with this experience they still only have the car on track for a relatively short period of time compared to factory efforts. So they don't get simulator practice and hours of running at different tracks to understand the cars limits and the exact braking points and speed in a complex track like the nordschleife.

Because Hockenheim short is such a small track they are probably much closer to the theoretical limit of the cars tested there than when they run at the nordschleife. The ring has so many turns that a few laps practice just will not allow you to master the track and the car.

so there really isn't any way for these guys at Sport Auto to match a talented Factory driver who has practice at the ring for many more laps in that particular car. Besides, Porsche uses Pro GT drivers for their ring laps so they can probably squeak out a little bit of extra time just based upon their racing experience let alone many more laps with the new car they are testing.

Get notified of new replies

To Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by traind
the sport Auto guys are quite talented and experienced at the ring. But even with this experience they still only have the car on track for a relatively short period of time compared to factory efforts. So they don't get simulator practice and hours of running at different tracks to understand the cars limits and the exact braking points and speed in a complex track like the nordschleife.

Because Hockenheim short is such a small track they are probably much closer to the theoretical limit of the cars tested there than when they run at the nordschleife. The ring has so many turns that a few laps practice just will not allow you to master the track and the car.

so there really isn't any way for these guys at Sport Auto to match a talented Factory driver who has practice at the ring for many more laps in that particular car. Besides, Porsche uses Pro GT drivers for their ring laps so they can probably squeak out a little bit of extra time just based upon their racing experience let alone many more laps with the new car they are testing.
That is a heck of difference in times 6:58-6:47. Reminds me of my run in GT Sport. Lol
Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
In addition to the fact that the only one, any random buyer can just roll in a showroom and buy, is the ZR1. Both Porsches are gone to the 918 program owners, then the elite select few, same with the Pista. The Senna was sold out before it was on sale so...

Gotta love what ZR1 gives you; a true mass production, give us your cash and you get a car, deal.
So true. The handwringing from prospective Porsche GT car and Ferrari buyers trying to get access to cars is just bizarre. Waiting on multiple dealer priority lists, buying other less desirable cars to get access to more desirable models, dating the dealer’s daughter to curry favor - you can’t make this stuff up.

It all reminds me of a great line from the movie “Top Gun”. Question: “Whose butt did you kiss to get in here? Answer: “The list is long and distinguished...” The cars from these manufacturers are good, but not that good.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:14 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Can someone in the know please explain why the GT3RS time is slightly faster than the GT2RS? Are these models running the same transmission?

I no longer trust Porsche factories Nordburgring times as they seem to use some tricks that aren't realistic for the average track day enthusiast. Also, the Nordburgring really isn't as relative to us normal guys as lap times at VIR or some other such track. I don't get the opportunity to drive a car through a turn at 180mph, therefore a car that appears to save seconds a lap, is often making up time in a way that I would never access.

Is it really all but impossible for a normal guy to walk in to a local Porsche dealership and buy a GT3RS at MSRP?

Comparing the GT3RS vs. the ZR1, I really don't know the relative pricing of these units, but I'd personally prefer a car that is a 1/4 second slower, but is NA, weighs less, and does it with 200 less hp on a 'horsepower' track. That's just me.

Thanks

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 06-14-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!