C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz

Agreed, and why I prefaced. At those two tracks, and leaning towards benefiting raw hp, he could be right.

But I find it funnier, he races an older modified Porsche Turbo and I race an older corvette.

No issue here agreeing to disagree, I just believe Heavies view, is really of the .1 cars, which are not only down 20-30 hp but more importantly, the new cars make so much more tq and much lower in the power band.

Maybe we get lucky and C&D will have a GT3 and an RS at LL.

Best Regards,
Dave
I'm not necessarily referring to you. I think your credentials speak for themself. But I have tracked with guys who are as fast/faster than me and they like to get Dez in the car to make them faster. That's good enough for me. And on top of it, he's a nice guy.
I'm actually hoping to catch up with Dez or Jade at Road Atlanta later this year when I get back out in the ACR...
S.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:13 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
<div style="text-align:left;"><br /><br />Agreed, and why I prefaced. At those two tracks, and leaning towards benefiting raw hp, he could be right.<br /><br />But I find it funnier, he races an older modified Porsche Turbo and I race an older corvette. <br /><br />No issue here agreeing to disagree, I just believe Heavies view, is really of the .1 cars, which are not only down 20-30 hp but more importantly, the new cars make so much more tq and much lower in the power band.<br /><br />Maybe we get lucky and C&amp;D will have a GT3 and an RS at LL.<br /><br />Best Regards,<br />Dave</div><br />
<br /><br />A few HP and torque don't make up multiple seconds on track. You know that. If anything, the gain between .1 and .2 RS seems to be more in tires than anything. We've seen this happen before with the 997 generation. The GT3's and Corvettes were competitive while the Corvettes were on goodyear eagles and Porsches on MPSC. Once the GM put the MPSC on the Corvette it was all over. GM has a good relationship with Michelin, maybe they start putting the Cup 2 R on the Vette's. For now though, I'm confident that the ZR1 is a good bit faster than the 3RS on average and on par with the 2RS, even with the tire disadvantage. Once people get to the track and the hoosiers come out. Game over. These new generation tires are prohibitively short lived and expensive. Almost every GT3 I've seen at the track has hoosier, or downgraded to pure street tires.

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-13-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:59 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default But those details! ;)

2011 3,207lb Carbon Edition 50/50 weight distribition;

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...6-carbon-test/

SNAP OVERSTEER - ZR1 Better, but, suffers light rear off the line!
(add big aero, 3.32 gear, coilovers, forged wheels, Cup tires, 32lbs shifted back, and LS6 cammed up; Best FME)

2012 3,320lb Cenntential Edition *49/51 weight distribution;

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...car-contender/

Tires and weight? (slowed) adds the soft handling per Pobst (ME on the way!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-13-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm intrigued by all of this detailed sport car analysis.

1) What makes the Vettes perform relatively poorly at Willow?
2) What changes do the RS versions of the 911s have that account for such improvements in overall performance?
3) Do the newest 911s perform well with electronics off with the rear rear engine layout? Do you have to drive them differently than the FE cars I'm accustomed to? I watched some kind of 911 with a big wing slide off the track, backwards, going relatively slowly, at a track day right in front of me. Looked like he let off a bit and it was just gone and non-recoverable. Kind of scared me from even considering one honestly.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
3) Do the newest 911s perform well with electronics off with the rear rear engine layout? Do you have to drive them differently than the FE cars I'm accustomed to? I watched some kind of 911 with a big wing slide off the track, backwards, going relatively slowly, at a track day right in front of me. Looked like he let off a bit and it was just gone and non-recoverable. Kind of scared me from even considering one honestly.
Me too.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

1) What makes the Vettes perform relatively poorly at Willow?
2) What changes do the RS versions of the 911s have that account for such improvements in overall performance?
If I recall (and was told) correctly, I don't think you can fully turn off Porsche aids, but they're much more advanced than C7 aids. They "learn" and are better at incorporating/calculating what tires are loaded, slip angle, blah blah blah and etc as well as letting you slide a little. https://www.total911.com/sales-debat...ill-add-value/

Last edited by village idiot; 07-13-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:25 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
If I recall (and was told) correctly, I don't think you can fully turn off Porsche aids, but they're much more advanced than C7 aids. They "learn" and are better at incorporating/calculating what tires are loaded, slip angle, blah blah blah and etc as well as letting you slide a little. https://www.total911.com/sales-debat...ill-add-value/
Just take a look at the ECUs each car comes with, their compute power and the actual code sophistication. The C7’s compute power is nowhere near the german cars. The M5 I used to have not one but two ECUs and even one of them was faster (at a cpu level) than what C7 comes with. So yes of course porsche’s aids and software is more sophisticated.

Corvette will NEVER be better than Porsche in these types of things. You know why? Because they dont want to be. Because 80-85% of their customers dont require this level of perfectness. So its not that corvette team sucks. Absolutely not. They cater themselves for the market they are targeting. The car has to be good enough so that John doe who just retired at 65 and bought his dream car can do 3 laps without crashing. Noone is going to take turns in nurburgring at 245 kmh in a zr1.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you really believe what you say? The active handling in the Corvette has long been one of the most driver friendly systems. BMW systems are trash, shut the car off. The power management controlling these large torque numbers and much less traction is pretty darn impressive in my opinion.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:10 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Where do you come up with this stuff? Do you really believe what you say? The active handling in the Corvette has long been one of the most driver friendly systems. BMW systems are trash, shut the car off. The power management controlling these large torque numbers and much less traction is pretty darn impressive in my opinion.
It's pretty impressive, but it's not Porsche good. I've followed cars with it on driving super loose. Porsche stability control is pretty impressive.

And yeah, Porsche is obviously far more dedicated to motorsports than GM. Look at all the DE events they do, PCA, etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

+1. I own an F80 M3 and the TC/AH system is horrible even with Euro MDM enabled. I have both M mode buttons programmed to turn it off as soon as I get in the car. In comparison, I leave everything on in the C7 on the street and it works wonderfully. On the track the PTM works very well and I am definitely faster with it on than off. The last Porsche I owned was a 986 S (2003) so I'm sure they have improved a lot in the last 15 years. However, even in its day it was garbage even compared to the C6 I had. I turned it off the moment I started the car as well.

As far as basing the manufacturer on the number of DEs and such they run I don't get that either. PCA is a club of owners and enthusiasts. When was the last time you went to a PCA event and saw an engineer from Porsche there? Most NCM events I have been to have included folks from the Corvette team.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 07-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Snorman
I'm not necessarily referring to you. I think your credentials speak for themself. But I have tracked with guys who are as fast/faster than me and they like to get Dez in the car to make them faster. That's good enough for me. And on top of it, he's a nice guy.
I'm actually hoping to catch up with Dez or Jade at Road Atlanta later this year when I get back out in the ACR...
S.
Sean, anytime man. Let me know when you'll be in town and I'll be glad to ride. Im just getting my car back after getting rear ended at a time trial in December. Car wrecked in front of me and I slowed down but the next guy came from 2 turns back and didn't pay attention to anything, hit me at speed in his garage built kit hooptie. Anyhow just about ready to get back out. Having serious withdrawals.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
+1. I own an F80 M3 and the TC/AH system is horrible even with Euro MDM enabled. I have both M mode buttons programmed to turn it off as soon as I get in the car. In comparison, I leave everything on in the C7 on the street and it works wonderfully. On the track the PTM works very well and I am definitely faster with it on than off. The last Porsche I owned was a 986 S (2003) so I'm sure they have improved a lot in the last 15 years. However, even in its day it was garbage even compared to the C6 I had. I turned it off the moment I started the car as well.

As far as basing the manufacturer on the number of DEs and such they run I don't get that either. PCA is a club of owners and enthusiasts. When was the last time you went to a PCA event and saw an engineer from Porsche there? Most NCM events I have been to have included folks from the Corvette team.
Wait, are BMW and Porsche using the same TC systems?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

I am not talking about "driver friendly". I am talking about pure computing power. The hardware. The software and the quality of the software. Quality of the software doesn't imply quality of implementation nor it implies quality of user interface. The german ECUs are in a different league all together and main reason for that is encryption they use is military grade (or even above) that actually requires hardware level hacking. In the case of BMWs, it actually requires you to intercept the byte code using a hardware reader (literally using 2 metal connectors at the transistors). Corvettes have nowhere near the complexity and power in their own ECU. This doesn't mean their traction system is bad.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:16 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

To be fair Bowling Green is closer than Sttugart.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by village idiot
Wait, are BMW and Porsche using the same TC systems?
This is the comment that was made that I was replying to:
The M5 I used to have not one but two ECUs and even one of them was faster (at a cpu level) than what C7 comes with. So yes of course porsche’s aids and software is more sophisticated.
Originally Posted by UnhandledException
I am not talking about "driver friendly". I am talking about pure computing power. The hardware. The software and the quality of the software. Quality of the software doesn't imply quality of implementation nor it implies quality of user interface. The german ECUs are in a different league all together and main reason for that is encryption they use is military grade (or even above) that actually requires hardware level hacking. In the case of BMWs, it actually requires you to intercept the byte code using a hardware reader (literally using 2 metal connectors at the transistors). Corvettes have nowhere near the complexity and power in their own ECU. This doesn't mean their traction system is bad.
Is it Type 1, 2, or 3? What algorithm and key strength? It's curious that I was able to buy a cheap cable off Amazon and get a free piece of software to change all sorts of configuration parameters on my M3 at the byte level.

Originally Posted by TARANTULA

To be fair Bowling Green is closer than Sttugart.
Sure, but PCNA is in Atlanta and ACNA is in Herndon, VA. I have yet to see an Audi employee show up for an Audi Club track event 45 minutes from their HQ.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:21 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sean, anytime man. Let me know when you'll be in town and I'll be glad to ride. Im just getting my car back after getting rear ended at a time trial in December. Car wrecked in front of me and I slowed down but the next guy came from 2 turns back and didn't pay attention to anything, hit me at speed in his garage built kit hooptie. Anyhow just about ready to get back out. Having serious withdrawals.
Sorry to hear about the car.
I'm planning Road Atlanta with Chin in October and February (figuring their usual schedule). I'll keep you posted, but planning on a busy September-May. Last year was sort of slow as we worked on getting our Champ/WRL/AER car sorted out. I'm hoping to get Ron and Keith up with their ACR's too. Maybe we can get Luke and Gary down as well.
Sean.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Snorman
Sorry to hear about the car.
I'm planning Road Atlanta with Chin in October and February (figuring their usual schedule). I'll keep you posted, but planning on a busy September-May. Last year was sort of slow as we worked on getting our Champ/WRL/AER car sorted out. I'm hoping to get Ron and Keith up with their ACR's too. Maybe we can get Luke and Gary down as well.
Sean.
Sounds great, count me in. It's on the schedule for Oct 27-28 this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!

Old 07-14-2018, 01:57 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Me too! ;)

I've got another twelve friends looking to make a day of it!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:38 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

This is the comment that was made that I was replying to:

Is it Type 1, 2, or 3? What algorithm and key strength? It's curious that I was able to buy a cheap cable off Amazon and get a free piece of software to change all sorts of configuration parameters on my M3 at the byte level.

Sure, but PCNA is in Atlanta and ACNA is in Herndon, VA. I have yet to see an Audi employee show up for an Audi Club track event 45 minutes from their HQ.
You didnt change jack as far as the real tuning tables go. You changed things like euro MDM or auto beam speed parameters. You are merely setting parameter values for given keys. What I m talking about is changing MAF tables, AFR tables, redline, turbo boost, etc. To change those, you need hardware encryption to be passed and that happens the way I explained.

And please stop trying to sound all technical, everything you do with any given phone/laptop/PC, every action, mouse click, key stroke, is all “byte level”. Because thats what the instruction set architecture of a chip will take and convert to binary. Yes I do have a computer science degree and I have been doing this for a living for a long time. So i am not talking out of my *** about the german bosch ECUs and their corvette counterparts. The corvette software and the hardware that software runs is in a different lower league all together. It doesnt even come close.

Corvette has always followed germans a generation behind (the suspension, the interior quality, seats etc) and considering the statements GM made about warranty and tuneability of cars going forward, it doesnt suprise me if you told me C8 corvette will have far superior software and hardware combo but this generation doesnt.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

You feel better now? My point is first that "military grade encryption" is a buzz word and that's all. You could call most browsers "military grade" these days. Second, I don't see how the type of encryption used by the ECU has any bearing on the overall performance of the engine or drivetrain. Since you started throwing around irrelevant terms I figured I'd have a little fun since I've been doing this stuff a while too.

Have a great day and hope the SEHOP catches you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Randy Pobst is tearing up Willow Springs!