C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Production Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Jamie Parsons
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Production Issue

I bought a ZR1 with the ZTK package through Reeder Chevrolet in Knoxville, TN. I got the car only because someone backed out and I was in the right spot at the right time. However, i am switching out the high wing for the low one but there is a production problem and the supplier can't provide the wing. The salesperson, when it was sold to me, said it would not be a problem, but I guess they did not know about the production problem at the time. At this point GM has no idea when they will be able to ship either wing. Just FYI for anyone that is considering swapping the wings out. Thanks

PS- I hope no one has an accident and damages their wing, it will take them months to get it fixed.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

It's NOT a production issue. Do you have the car now ?
Not sure you can swap out wings. You could pre.build.

The supplier only can manufacture so many wings a week.
Anyone have details on replacements in case of injury ?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Do a search on here...there has been some discussion on the wings not being interchangeable, not because it won’t fit but for other issues
The following users liked this post:
Jamie Parsons (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:45 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Okay, I'll do it! ;)

Originally Posted by Jamie Parsons
I bought a ZR1 with the ZTK package through Reeder Chevrolet in Knoxville, TN. I got the car only because someone backed out and I was in the right spot at the right time. However, i am switching out the high wing for the low one but there is a production problem and the supplier can't provide the wing. The salesperson, when it was sold to me, said it would not be a problem, but I guess they did not know about the production problem at the time. At this point GM has no idea when they will be able to ship either wing. Just FYI for anyone that is considering swapping the wings out. Thanks

PS- I hope no one has an accident and damages their wing, it will take them months to get it fixed.
  1. The wings can switch, but, the larger wing setup has more spring rate so it's not really functional.
  2. You can leave it off off track, low speed. Perhaps straight line as C&D did. Read about it! GM wasn't happy with them.
  3. I believe GM said they wouldn't furnish them for swapping.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-22-2018 at 09:48 AM.
DebRedZR1 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This isn't really a production issue because your car was produced with the high wing and you're wanting to change that. With that being said, if your dealer can not obtain a wing in less than a couple of weeks than they're not doing their job right. We've already ordered and received a couple wings and after being told there was no ETA, we received them in a few days. With that being said, a VIN will have to be provided to expedite the process and your car not being a factory optioned low wing car might increase the wait time.
The following 3 users liked this post by RichieRichZ06:
DebRedZR1 (06-22-2018), My85 (06-23-2018), Nyvetteguy007 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

You want to be really careful about changing from the high wing to the low wing but leaving the ZTK front airfoil in place.

If the car sees just sedate street driving or your a waxer going to a lot of shows, it's no big deal, but if you drive hard on the street or do any track driving, be prepared. At speed the car's aero is going to be unbalanced bordering on unsafe. You'll have downforce on the front and none on the rear so in high speed turns the car is going to be really loose. Cars which are very loose in high speed turns are the kiss of death.

If you are going to take the high wing off and put the low wing on, you'd be wise to remove the aero stuff on the front end too so that you don't put the car in the fence at some track with fast corners.

Frankly, I hope GM finds a way to prohibit sales of the low wing to persons who want to remove the high wing from ZTK cars. It will keep some folks from wrecking cars and hurting themselves.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 06-22-2018 at 11:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
DebRedZR1 (06-23-2018), Lavender (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Jamie Parsons
Advanced

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1

It IS a production issue. I've attached the bulletin out of the GM parts system so you can see. It clearly says "The source has constraints due to production issues".
Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Jamie Parsons
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
You want to be really careful about changing from the high wing to the low wing but leaving the ZTK front airfoil in place.

If the car sees just sedate street driving or your a waxer going to a lot of shows, it's no big deal, but if you drive hard on the street or do any track driving, be prepared. At speed the car's aero is going to be unbalanced bordering on unsafe. You'll have downforce on the front and none on the rear so in high speed turns the car is going to be really loose. Cars which are very loose in high speed turns are the kiss of death.

If you are going to take the high wing off and put the low wing on, you'd be wise to remove the aero stuff on the front end too so that you don't put the car in the fence at some track with fast corners.

Frankly, I hope GM finds a way to prohibit sales of the low wing to persons who want to remove the high wing from ZTK cars. It will keep some folks from wrecking cars and hurting themselves.
Thank you and yes, I will not be racing my car it's more for shows and street driving. I read the thread on the site about switching and I don't see any problems with me. I appreciate the heads up though.

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
This isn't really a production issue because your car was produced with the high wing and you're wanting to change that. With that being said, if your dealer can not obtain a wing in less than a couple of weeks than they're not doing their job right. We've already ordered and received a couple wings and after being told there was no ETA, we received them in a few days. With that being said, a VIN will have to be provided to expedite the process and your car not being a factory optioned low wing car might increase the wait time.
Thanks but you can see my update below with the note from the GM parts system. Maybe the GM parts system is wrong but I do believe there is a production issue with the wing right now.

As a follow up the car in my Avatar and profile page is my car, so yes I do have the ZR1 now.

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Thanks, it sounds like you are a dealer if you have ordered the wings and received them. Your correct about the VIN and the dealer, Reeder Chevrolet, is providing GM with a VIN to help expedite the process. The production issue is not with the car but the supplier of the wing, see the GM Parts note that I posted. However, if you are a dealer I would love to hear how you have ordered and gotten the wing. Thanks

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-26-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to more than one person look like this!
Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

There are not any parts available for cars that did not come with the low wing to switch out.
Because it's not recommended people do that. IF your Vin shows you have a low wing car you
would get one faster for replacement.
Nyvetteguy007 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

It IS a production issue. I've attached the bulletin out of the GM parts system so you can see. It clearly says "The source has constraints due to production issues".
Limited production, available for newly manufactured cars most likely...on constraint for "parts" and I do believe as some have said that they wont even sell one to you if it was originally with a high wing.

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 06-23-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 AM
HTXSkydiver
Pro

Received 363 Likes on 172 Posts

There are not any parts available for cars that did not come with the low wing to switch out.
Because it's not recommended people do that. IF your Vin shows you have a low wing car you
This. The production of exposed CF parts is the main limiting factor to C7 ZR1 production. GM's CF vendor is pumping out parts as fast as possible so GM can build ZR1s as fast as possible. It is pretty unreasonable for a customer to buy a ZTK car and then complain its not what they want and demand GM pull parts off the highly constrained assembly line so they can swap the wing out AGAINST GMs RECOMMENDATION.

In fact, I know a couple people with low wing ZR1s in their garages but are still waiting on ZTK cars. Reason being, they could not find a ZTK car when purchasing, didn't care about price or depreciation, and wanted to drive one NOW. These guys are not going to mess with the downforce balancing aspects of the ZR1 by swapping aero pieces, as stated, it is highly discouraged for safety reasons.

Seems to me like you should be happy you have one of, if not the, hottest car on the planet right now in the configuration that everyone wants when no one can get them. If not, just sell it for what you paid (less taxes of course) and source a low wing car elsewhere. Just please stop bashing GM for "production issues" when thats not the case here. Your car was produced as ordered WITHOUT ISSUE, you just want to mix and match options after the fact. That is your issue, not GMs.

DebRedZR1 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I think we are mixing things up a bit. As others have stated there is and has been a limitation on how many of the book matched exposed CF parts the supplier can produce. That in turn is what is keeping ZR1 production at the slow rate it is. Since nearly all produced CF parts are going to new car production there are none available for replacement parts unless there is a very strong reason for it.

My car came in with a small blemish in the front splitter. I might not have even noticed but my most excellent salesman Mike Furman pointed it out to me at delivery. They had already ordered a replacement splitter but I've been told to expect it to take 3-4 months. I am totally fine with that because this will let me figure out where the original splitter drags without having to worry about it. Given that a car that arrived "damaged" is going to take 3-4 months for a replacement part I would expect someone wanting to buy a part that didn't even come on their car to take longer.
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
DebRedZR1 (06-23-2018), Jamie Parsons (06-23-2018), Nyvetteguy007 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:14 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

i can't imagine we are more than a few months away from outside vendors producing them in both forms nearly identical. that will then cure the ills some are feeling who bought one or the other anticipating being able to swap them "easily" at some point.

As for the specifications of each suspension package being effected by changing the wings out? the C&D ZTK with NO wing running north of of 190mph and not vaporizing into dust should quell those fears lol.
Jamie Parsons (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Jamie Parsons
Advanced

The VIN being used to order the part is from a ZR1 with the low wing, so I don't think that is the issue. The dealer had 5 ZR1s.

Originally Posted by HTXSkydiver
This. The production of exposed CF parts is the main limiting factor to C7 ZR1 production. GM's CF vendor is pumping out parts as fast as possible so GM can build ZR1s as fast as possible. It is pretty unreasonable for a customer to buy a ZTK car and then complain its not what they want and demand GM pull parts off the highly constrained assembly line so they can swap the wing out AGAINST GMs RECOMMENDATION.

In fact, I know a couple people with low wing ZR1s in their garages but are still waiting on ZTK cars. Reason being, they could not find a ZTK car when purchasing, didn't care about price or depreciation, and wanted to drive one NOW. These guys are not going to mess with the downforce balancing aspects of the ZR1 by swapping aero pieces, as stated, it is highly discouraged for safety reasons.

Seems to me like you should be happy you have one of, if not the, hottest car on the planet right now in the configuration that everyone wants when no one can get them. If not, just sell it for what you paid (less taxes of course) and source a low wing car elsewhere. Just please stop bashing GM for "production issues" when thats not the case here. Your car was produced as ordered WITHOUT ISSUE, you just want to mix and match options after the fact. That is your issue, not GMs.
Not sure wanting to change a cars looks is unreasonable; especially if you ask all the Vendors on this site that sell parts to change the look of your car. As I shared before I'm not racing the car so it's only for looks, the downforce is not a consideration for me. Just to be clear I am very happy with my current Corvette, but just because someone wants to change the looks of their car is no reason for you to be so uncalled-for in the response. I'm not bashing GM it is the truth!!!!!!!! It is GM's issue when they partner with a vendor and can not provide the parts for the car; whether it's a new car or replacement part. Gezzzz

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-26-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to more than one person look like this!
Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
i can't imagine we are more than a few months away from outside vendors producing them in both forms nearly identical. that will then cure the ills some are feeling who bought one or the other anticipating being able to swap them "easily" at some point.

As for the specifications of each suspension package being effected by changing the wings out? the C&D ZTK with NO wing running north of of 190mph and not vaporizing into dust should quell those fears lol.
I generally agree that swapping from high to low wing on the street won't result in the car uncontrollably flying off the road. However, I will say that the wing can definitely be felt as low as 60 MPH in heavy cornering. Your worst case scenario is probably an emergency lane change at highway speeds, particularly in the rain.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

The VIN being used to order the part is from a ZR1 with the low wing, so I don't think that is the issue. The dealer had 5 ZR1s.
isn't that dealer special falsifying a document. Suppose he gave a fake reason for replacing too.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Newdude
Pro

Received 492 Likes on 244 Posts

isn't that dealer special falsifying a document. Suppose he gave a fake reason for replacing too.
Big red flag right there. GM will want that old wing back from the car that they used the VIN from. They will get busted right there. It will get treated almost indifferent from Z/28, 100 year trucks, and other special package cars where they constraint them, and then request the old parts back. Its typically for a limited time.

Last edited by Newdude; 06-23-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:40 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

The cars are not being sold in a limited number nor are they a special edition. So I doubt gm cares if a part is ordered for one.

the reasons for the limited allocations are the Exposed CF pieces. It's been talked about 100 times on here by those in the know.

Ps. when the parts guy punches in the number and it REQUIRES the vin, then it's a hassle. Has anyone said that is what's happening? Or just backordered?

the parts people want the vin because it cuts down on returns and issues with customers that ultimately the dealer has to eat in most cases.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Newdude
Big red flag right there. GM will want that old wing back from the car that they used the VIN from. They will get busted right there. It will get treated almost indifferent from Z/28, 100 year trucks, and other special package cars where they constraint them, and then request the old parts back. Its typically for a limited time.
That's not 100% true on a customer pay situation. We've already received and sold couple ZTK wings that customer's paid for and nothing has to be sent back. Typically constrained parts are for warranty situations and those nearly always get sent back. GM will not stop a customer from purchasing parts, but they do not get priority over cars being built.

The VIN in this situation just kept the order from being cancelled and helps to get it upgraded. When we ordered our ZTK wings, it took a few days to get them and Brand Quality called to make sure it was not a warranty issue. Once they knew we had a customer purchasing the wing outright, the order was released and they sent them from production. The OP's dealer needs to invest a little more time/effort into this and he would've had his low wing by now.

Get notified of new replies

To Production Issue

Quick Reply: Production Issue