C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New Shadow Grey

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria

Question for on the Xpel. Nearest applicator is over 200 miles away... 3 of them actually. One guy wanted my car for around 4 days... another guy said he could do it in a day... the 3rd guy said no way anyone could do a good job in a day then tried to sell me on Stek instead (because its easier to apply) despite being an Xpel and Suntek installer... all told me the ZR1 is listed as “highest difficulty”.. “there is no such thing as perfect” installation. I freak out over the idea of somebody being near the paint with a box cutter in his hand. How do they get around all those angular shapes in the front. A Z06 is “smooth” by comparison. I drive almost exclusively on northern Wi little traveled roads. I wondered what happens if a bigger object hits. Do they remove the film, repaint, and reapply? If the stuff stays on, isnt it a bitch to get off after? Does it ever peel back on the edges? Would you get it again on a ZR1?
I don't know, nor do I know how you all survived before Xpel.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
I’ve never film coated any of my other cars...several approaching 6 figures...there all still doing fine. I felt a little peer pressured with this one to do it. The more I think about it, the more I conclude theres as much or more that can go bad doing it as not doing it.
The following users liked this post:
rob62 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Question for on the Xpel. Nearest applicator is over 200 miles away... 3 of them actually. One guy wanted my car for around 4 days... another guy said he could do it in a day... the 3rd guy said no way anyone could do a good job in a day then tried to sell me on Stek instead (because its easier to apply) despite being an Xpel and Suntek installer... all told me the ZR1 is listed as “highest difficulty”.. “there is no such thing as perfect” installation. I freak out over the idea of somebody being near the paint with a box cutter in his hand. How do they get around all those angular shapes in the front. A Z06 is “smooth” by comparison. I drive almost exclusively on northern Wi little traveled roads. I wondered what happens if a bigger object hits. Do they remove the film, repaint, and reapply? If the stuff stays on, isnt it a bitch to get off after? Does it ever peel back on the edges? Would you get it again on a ZR1?
Quite a few questions, but I'll answer as much as I know. Note that I'm only a customer, and not an installer:
What I found out is that the Xpel can be damaged, but it can be touched up if the damage is to the point where it doesn't self heal. Reapplying new Xpel is solely up to the customer especially if the warranty comes into play. A Xpel rep is usually active on this forum who can provide more insight regarding the reapply. The damage on my personal vehicle hit the passenger side while en route for KY three times: 2 of the 3 hit the Xpel and no damage to the paint. The third was not "Xpelled" and thus the reason for the paint correction. All things considering, the car is still in excellent condition for a 1000 mile trip. And it'll stay that way as long as I know where the imperfections are and remedy them ASAP.

As far as applicators, I don't know the companies, how many people will be working on it, their location, or their merit. That calls for a separate post - maybe someone has dealt with them in the past who can provide more insight.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:13 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
No kidding, but now that we have it life is so much better.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:12 PM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 624 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Xpel in Orlando

I just got confirmation on my ZR1 build. Current Z51 in CyberGrey and I love it. I ordered the Shadow Grey and I hope I don't hate it. As far as Xpel is concerned, I had my 2014 covered before the first rock chip occurred. It has saved the paint so many times I can't tell you. 4 years later it is still perfect. I am going to do it again. You have to get a great installer. Find one that is doing high end super cars. In Orlando the man is Dave at Invisible Car Bras. People drive here from Miami to have it applied. PM me if you want more information.
The following 2 users liked this post by Repo Pilot:
Palantirion (07-27-2018), Racerdj (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:25 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

When do you estimate your delivery?
Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default New shadow grey

hello, first off if I live long enough but before it goes automous, I'd like to get a ZR1! But to the point, all of the greys, have color codes. All of the color codes have paint formulas,with laguna and now Elkhart blue I think I could blend one into the other.That close! There as many tints of grey, the Honda that looked red, anyway, take the codes for what grey you want, take to body shop and get a print out for each formula. It will tell you what's different in each one. The color wheel shoes each color into the next. My point is there can be an orange, red, purple, blue, green , yellow tinted grey. Get the formulas and compare! Sorry so long!
Old 07-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Repo Pilot
I just got confirmation on my ZR1 build. Current Z51 in CyberGrey and I love it. I ordered the Shadow Grey and I hope I don't hate it. As far as Xpel is concerned, I had my 2014 covered before the first rock chip occurred. It has saved the paint so many times I can't tell you. 4 years later it is still perfect. I am going to do it again. You have to get a great installer. Find one that is doing high end super cars. In Orlando the man is Dave at Invisible Car Bras. People drive here from Miami to have it applied. PM me if you want more information.
Im sure Shadow Gray will look awesome on the ZR1. It would be my choice if ordering today. Thanks for sharing your experience. Will find someone who does Lambo’s. The front air opening angles are more similar between it and the ZR1 than most cars. A sloppy job would be worse than nothing to me. I have a 2010 GS Callaway convert and 2013 Audi RS 5 that are still virually showroom with 25 and 30k on their clocks without film. I enjoy waxing abd detailing. Its therapy for me. Haha. I do admit I should have filmed my 2012 Cayenne S which has 50k and some small chips in the hood. But it has made 6 round trips from here to AZ.. Im careful where I drive the other cars.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 07-27-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 07-28-2018, 06:31 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Palantirion
When do you estimate your delivery?
Allegedly it is a 4th quarter slot. ZTK + RVK, 3ZR, AE4, M5U.

I will keep you posted.

If you know anyone that is is interested, I have a tuned Cyber-Grey '14 Z51 2LT 7-speed that is looking for a home.

Extras include ARC long Tubes, RPI RAM AIR-SS Cold Air Intake System, C7 Carbon splitters, Z06 grill, Competition seats, exposed carbon fiber top, 7-year GM extended warranty, Clip-to-windshield Xpel + Rear Fenders, 26,000 miles, 5,000 miles on 255/35/19 and 295/30/20 Pilot-Sport 4S's.

Please PM me if you know anyone that may be interested.

Cheers...
Old 07-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Allegedly it is a 4th quarter slot. ZTK + RVK, 3ZR, AE4, M5U.

I will keep you posted.

If you know anyone that is is interested, I have a tuned Cyber-Grey '14 Z51 2LT 7-speed that is looking for a home.

Extras include ARC long Tubes, RPI RAM AIR-SS Cold Air Intake System, C7 Carbon splitters, Z06 grill, Competition seats, exposed carbon fiber top, 7-year GM extended warranty, Clip-to-windshield Xpel + Rear Fenders, 26,000 miles, 5,000 miles on 255/35/19 and 295/30/20 Pilot-Sport 4S's.

Please PM me if you know anyone that may be interested.

Cheers...
Does the RVK get done at BG now or dealer install as mine was?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Repo Pilot
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Does the RVK get done at BG now or dealer install as mine was?
I don't know for sure Rinaldo, but I am assuming BG. I plan on replacing the intake tubing with the Weapon X product (check the thread on this forum for more info) to pick up some more RWHP.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Other angles.
Quite stunning!!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:13 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I too have been saved by Xpel and highly recommend having it installed at least on the front of the car. My bicycle fell over and the end of the handle bar scraped the front side fender of my 488 with no damage. A new panel was needed but fortunately absolutely no marks were left on the fender. It left a small hole in the film.

Last edited by Racerdj; 07-28-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:14 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

^^^^^^^
That's it!!!
I'll take it. Very nice.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:26 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Congrats. I am going for Shadow Gray Z06. My build is 9/3. Can't wait to see the C7 in this color. Agree Xpel is a must have.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Congrats. I am going for Shadow Gray Z06. My build is 9/3. Can't wait to see the C7 in this color. Agree Xpel is a must have.
- You will probably get your Z06 before we get our ZR1s (My order is for Shadow Gray), so please post pics here when you get it.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:57 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

This is sort of discouraging. Best I can tell this is the color.
The color samples we have seen made it look darker than WGG, but this does not look darker. This came from a Cadillac dealer site and the window sticker says Shadow Metallic, which is Cadillac's name for color code GJI.

Last edited by djnice; 07-31-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Shadow Grey

Old 07-31-2018, 07:21 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by djnice
This is sort of discouraging. Best I can tell this is the color.
The color samples we have seen made it look darker than WGG, but this does not look darker. This came from a Cadillac dealer site and the window sticker says Shadow Metallic, which is Cadillac's name for color code GJI.

It has a distinct bluish cast in it. The light in these pics is not at all flattering. No offense Caddy fans, but the car’s lines arent helping either. I do think this gray is softer than WGG.... so if “menacing” is the objective, this might fall a bit short. It might prove to be a “classier” color than WGG on the ZR1.
djnice (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:46 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

My wife pointed out that even the tires look blue in these pics, but still not sure about it. Hoping for better pics soon.

Last edited by djnice; 07-31-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Found some better pics of the color. Buick calls GJI color code Pewter Metalic.

Palantirion (08-01-2018)

Quick Reply: New Shadow Grey