C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Those of you who added the CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by herohaki
i ordered the CAI from the factory and now has an aftermarket exhaust system so can't really compare with the bone stock one, pretty sure my main gains came from the x pipe but the CAI i heard does add gains, still believe not so much from the tube itself but from the actual intake box to increase airflow from the filter.
Which X-pipe did you go with?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Yea but that is quite minimal, most people still change the tube for aesthetic reasons when they already changed the filter, if the CAI came in a kit then yea might as well change everything but the GM one is just the filter, buying another kit just for the tube isn't what most people would do, especially in the ZR1 where the tube is hidden beneath the cover and you won't see it when opening the hood unless you remove the cover. The main gains still come from the filter as proved by the GM box, the tube yes it will smooth things out getting rid of the accordion part but the gains from that is so minimal it won't matter to you, especially in a car like this you won't feel it behind the wheel, that's why is more of a appearance mod instead of a performance one.
Have you done any dyno testing? Or are you just bench racing? Spreading this kind of information without factual testing does nothing for the community. The intake tube offers gains for a variety of reasons including air flow restrictions, volume, velocity, etc.

Test first, talk second.
The following users liked this post:
1ccrider (07-17-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM
herohaki
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire

Which X-pipe did you go with?
The corsa x pipe for now, but looking to switch to whole titanium system, the corsa one already gave pretty good gains.

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Have you done any dyno testing? Or are you just bench racing? Spreading this kind of information without factual testing does nothing for the community. The intake tube offers gains for a variety of reasons including air flow restrictions, volume, velocity, etc.

Test first, talk second.
I know because I've modded my previous Z06, my current ZR1, and my other cars that I own with long tubes, short rams, all different kinds of intakes, usually in my other cars the CAI comes in a full kit including filter and tube then obviously you put the whole kit on, but in the case of GM's new intake its just the filter, we're discussing after upgrading the filter, how much the tube will give you. OP asked if theres anything extra with the tube and I'm answering him based on my experience with my cars, the community is built up by people contributing from their experiences I don't see anything wrong with me sharing, if you disagree in what I share, shouldn't you as a tuning shop provide what you tested as proof? I am an individual that loves cars and not a shop, I only have one car each model and I mod it and drive it and experience it, I don't have a dyno right in my garage, in fact it is pretty far from where I live I only go there with groups or my local clubs maybe once a year. Even in my 350hp car, you can't even feel a real substantial difference as a person unless its a 10+ horsepower increase, in a car that has over 700 hp, 5-10hp cannot be felt by the driver, humans are not machines you won't be able to distinguish that from all those horsepower, it can only be read on the dyno and be shown to people, even weather elements can affect more hp than that. I already said that the tube does have affects on air flow, should smooth things out a bit but that doesn't just give you enormous gains right away, if you really want gains, a better use of money is to save and upgrade the filter and exhaust together first gives greater gains, a standalone tube shouldn't be greater gains than the filter unless you are changing diameter and a tune afterwards or if the stock one is really restrictive, but on these cars the stock tube is fine, when the OP already got the GM intake box its not worthwhile for him to buy a whole other kit just for the tube. If you are telling me just changing to same diameter tube itself after upgrading the filter box can have any substantial gain that you can actually feel in a 700+ hp car then I do have a hard time believing but I'm happy to see your test results. If you want to prove your point, instead of telling me to test first talk second, you're doing the same thing, show your test results that you gained anything from a standalone tube then discuss, i'm interested in seeing it. Right now I have the GM filter and exhaust and the car feels great, horsepower I can actually feel out there is a solid performance increase in my book.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:22 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Bob U

i agree!
I have not seen a clear dyno test of just the new GM intake.
I like numbers just for numbers sake. Anyone know of a good dyno on the East side of Michigan? I could do a before and after when I get my ZR!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

I know because I've modded my previous Z06, my current ZR1, and my other cars that I own with long tubes, short rams, all different kinds of intakes, usually in my other cars the CAI comes in a full kit including filter and tube then obviously you put the whole kit on, but in the case of GM's new intake its just the filter, we're discussing after upgrading the filter, how much the tube will give you. OP asked if theres anything extra with the tube and I'm answering him based on my experience with my cars, the community is built up by people contributing from their experiences I don't see anything wrong with me sharing, if you disagree in what I share, shouldn't you as a tuning shop provide what you tested as proof? I am an individual that loves cars and not a shop, I only have one car each model and I mod it and drive it and experience it, I don't have a dyno right in my garage, in fact it is pretty far from where I live I only go there with groups or my local clubs maybe once a year. Even in my 350hp car, you can't even feel a real substantial difference as a person unless its a 10+ horsepower increase, in a car that has over 700 hp, 5-10hp cannot be felt by the driver, humans are not machines you won't be able to distinguish that from all those horsepower, it can only be read on the dyno and be shown to people, even weather elements can affect more hp than that. I already said that the tube does have affects on air flow, should smooth things out a bit but that doesn't just give you enormous gains right away, if you really want gains, a better use of money is to save and upgrade the filter and exhaust together first gives greater gains, a standalone tube shouldn't be greater gains than the filter unless you are changing diameter and a tune afterwards or if the stock one is really restrictive, but on these cars the stock tube is fine, when the OP already got the GM intake box its not worthwhile for him to buy a whole other kit just for the tube. If you are telling me just changing to same diameter tube itself after upgrading the filter box can have any substantial gain that you can actually feel in a 700+ hp car then I do have a hard time believing but I'm happy to see your test results. If you want to prove your point, instead of telling me to test first talk second, you're doing the same thing, show your test results that you gained anything from a standalone tube then discuss, i'm interested in seeing it. Right now I have the GM filter and exhaust and the car feels great, horsepower I can actually feel out there is a solid performance increase in my book.
Sorry, I just don't follow your logic. You claim you can "feel" GM's claim of SAE tested 17 crank HP out of the air box on the ZR1, which would be 9whp; however, the tube is where you're putting your foot down? LOL

And I have tested it and posted this. The only difference between these two graphs was the addition of our intake tube:

Old 07-13-2018, 02:59 PM
herohaki
Advanced

Sorry, I just don't follow your logic. You claim you can "feel" GM's claim of SAE tested 17 crank HP out of the air box on the ZR1, which would be 9whp; however, the tube is where you're putting your foot down? LOL

And I have tested it and posted this. The only difference between these two graphs was the addition of our intake tube:
First when did I claim that I physically felt the power gain? I just said there are gains, and truth be told there is gains. Also I didn't deny the fact that the tube add some gains, I said the tube will but its minimal, but most people still do it for aesthetic reasons more than performance especially if its made out of carbon, it looks very good under the hood. If you look at my posts, I said tube which means the general aftermarket tube, I never pointed anything at you or call you out, but you apparently got offended and assumed I was saying bad things about your tube. Plus you haven't said or posted anything concrete until now and just started to condescendingly disagree with me and calling me out from the beginning, I find this not good way to start discussion. If you want to prove your own tube, instead of what you did, post the dyno, the gains, the tube pictures and how it adds gains first then we'll all be interested to see what wonders you guys have done, isn't that better promotion... so do you have pictures of your tube? is there a diameter difference? did you add a tune with it? these are all the meaningful topics to discuss...

Last edited by herohaki; 07-13-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

First when did I claim that I physically felt the power gain? I just said there are gains, and truth be told there is gains. Also I didn't deny the fact that the tube add some gains, I said the tube will but its minimal, but most people still do it for aesthetic reasons more than performance especially if its made out of carbon, it looks very good under the hood. If you look at my posts, I said tube which means the general aftermarket tube, I never pointed anything at you or call you out, but you apparently got offended and assumed I was saying bad things about your tube. Plus you haven't said or posted anything concrete until now and just started to condescendingly disagree with me and calling me out from the beginning, I find this not good way to start discussion. If you want to prove your own tube, instead of what you did, post the dyno, the gains, the tube pictures and how it adds gains first then we'll all be interested to see what wonders you guys have done, isn't that better promotion... so do you have pictures of your tube? is there a diameter difference? did you add a tune with it? these are all the meaningful topics to discuss...
The intake tube you can just leave as is since there's no benefit other than looks, most after market uses the same size as well, one well known is AFE power intake which has the full box and tube in carbon fiber as an option, but on the ZR1 the tube is hidden underneath the air tray thingy so you won't see it anyway when opening the hood so I don't see any reason to change the tube on the ZR1 since no performance gain and no looks...
the intake gives great gains, as seen from dynos and mine as well... but most aftermarket intake tubes are the same diameter as stock just in different material either in carbon or same as stock, changing the intake tube itself won't give you any more gains using the same air box, upgrading to the GM airbox or another high performance airbox with high flow filter is where the gains come from, after that changing the tube alone is more often for appearance purposes than actual gains.. at least that's what I got dynoing previous Z06, unless you had something different? Can't imagine how just an intake tube will have gains when its the same size where do the extra horsepower come from?
herohaki, no one is after you and you're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. You were sharing your opinion as fact without any testing, to which I asked about the dyno and told you to test first, talk second. I do apologize for the bench racing comment as it comes off as snarky, but I'm sarcastic by nature, so I was just ribbing you there. My only point was what you were saying is not accurate and as quoted above, you said a few times there were [no gains from changing the tube]. Too often misinformation is spread on forums and other online chat groups as someone perusing this thread would read you share this statement several times. This is certainly not me taking offense, because I already know there are gains and they've been posted before in my own thread; however, I wasn't trying to make a sales thread out of Deb's post. Deb has my cell phone number and she is a customer of mine. Instead, I was questioning the information you were sharing as fact. So, I'm going to respectfully bow out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ben@WeaponX:
1ccrider (07-17-2018), trooper (08-01-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I am not trying to be argumentative but just to clarify. You are saying that just changing the tube was good for ~50 RWHP at ~4500 RPM? I think that's what I see in that graph.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:28 PM
herohaki
Advanced

herohaki, no one is after you and you're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. You were sharing your opinion as fact without any testing, to which I asked about the dyno and told you to test first, talk second. I do apologize for the bench racing comment as it comes off as snarky, but I'm sarcastic by nature, so I was just ribbing you there. My only point was what you were saying is not accurate and as quoted above, you said a few times there were [no gains from changing the tube]. Too often misinformation is spread on forums and other online chat groups as someone perusing this thread would read you share this statement several times. This is certainly not me taking offense, because I already know there are gains and they've been posted before in my own thread; however, I wasn't trying to make a sales thread out of Deb's post. Deb has my cell phone number and she is a customer of mine. Instead, I was questioning the information you were sharing as fact. So, I'm going to respectfully bow out.
i'm not making it a bigger deal like you said i'm just sharing what I had. I used the AFE tube before and I've changed just intake tubes before on my other cars, they do give zero to minimal gains but I did them anyway for aesthetic reasons and so did my many other friends, you didn't know about what I've tested and basically stated a bunch of stuff about me, maybe you weren't meaning it but it definitely sounded like it. Anyway, you still haven't provided any information on your "specific performance tube" or the tube you used for testing and just left a dyno. I asked because I saw your result and it is interesting but you just going to leave now? that doesn't help in any way, I thought you would be helping more to the forum since you are a well known vendor here and I actually thought about purchasing some stuff from you guys. To be honest, in my specific cars, the only ones that added gains just from the tube were the ones with a difference in diameter and a tune, usually with some other things too, same diameter tube for me didn't show much gains so I'm not making stuff up, what benefit will I get lying to other people? I know there can be gains from tubes but sometimes there aren't, in my case tube alone didn't show much, you got gains maybe on your own tube but you're not sharing what's different. You don't need to question the info I'm sharing since we had experience on using different tubes so it doesn't make sense, since theres no definitive right or wrong here. Not saying you are making this a sales thread, just wanting you could share more information on what you tested other than disapproving me then leaving...
Ben@WeaponX (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I am not trying to be argumentative but just to clarify. You are saying that just changing the tube was good for ~50 RWHP at ~4500 RPM? I think that's what I see in that graph.
It was around 40ish if I recall, keep in mind this car has headers as well, but the only change between the two pulls was the intake tube. So to be clear, I am NOT saying the intake tube alone with the GM Air Box will net 40whp mid range on stock manifolds (although the header dyno comparison didn't change much on the rollers), but I am saying from my testing in 6th gear, the LT5 really liked the less restriction. MAF was up, boost was up .4 psi, and it kept a little more timing in the pull up until the top as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ben@WeaponX:
Poor-sha (07-13-2018), trooper (08-01-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 PM
snakepit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just looking for a dyno sheet with the CAI and no other mods.
DebRedZR1 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default ~75RWHP Rumor!?

1. 100 Octane
  2. GM intake
  3. Cat pipes
No tune!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by snakepit
Just looking for a dyno sheet with the CAI and no other mods.
Same, going to try and see if I can find a dyno to do that before mine is done!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:12 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Still looking to see if anyone has data with just the CAI.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:46 PM
ilkSurfer
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Here you go. They first add an Xpipe and the stock hp goes from 630 to 678. And then they add the Performance Intake and the hp goes down 10hp to 668. They do another pull and get to 680. Car has only 166 miles when they do the test. They do another run after the 500 miles break in period to see if they can unleash any additional power but they get the same results somehow. So based on this test unfortunately the Performance intake did not add any additional hp.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer
Here you go. They first add an Xpipe and the stock hp goes from 630 to 678. And then they add the Performance Intake and the hp goes down 10hp to 668. They do another pull and get to 680. Car has only 166 miles when they do the test. They do another run after the 500 miles break in period to see if they can unleash any additional power but they get the same results somehow. So based on this test unfortunately the Performance intake did not add any additional hp.

https://youtu.be/ME-5XSG-dMo
X Pipe will be my first mod, along with intake...also purchased the Weapon X intake tube so will install that as well...
Will try to dyno before and after etc...
Ben@WeaponX (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007

X Pipe will be my first mod, along with intake...also purchased the Weapon X intake tube so will install that as well...
Will try to dyno before and after etc...
Great, look forward to your testing.
I am planing to follow some of Weapon-X mods. GM air box, Weapon-X air tube and maybe a 2 3/4 Borla X-pipe.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer

https://youtu.be/ME-5XSG-dMo
Great example of skewing what actually happened. He concluded that after putting some miles on there should be potential for good gains once the car learns .......
Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1

Great example of skewing what actually happened. He concluded that after putting some miles on there should be potential for good gains once the car learns .......
I'm sorry, but to help educate the community, these cars do not "learn" when in wide open throttle because they are not equipped with a factory wideband and can only make change via the long term fuel trims adding or subtracting a couple % of fuel. When in part throttle the short and long term fuel trims will more aggressively make adjustments based on the mV and calculated 02 temps in an attempt to keep the car within the stoich target of 14.1 AFR (14.7 is Stoich for 93; however, 14.1 takes into account the 10% ethanol blend on most pumps). When you go wide open, you enter "Power Enrichment" AKA PE Mode, which is predefined based on the Mass Air Flow sensor as well as the Stoich values entered into a predefined table.

You can see this in the log, the third bracket down on my 9 second pass, the green and white STFTs go to zero, red and yellow LTFTs go steady as well with a 2-3% fueling change; however, that is not going to make any real power differences unless it's dangerously rich/lean, and all other parameters are based off of Cyl Airmass, timing, fuel etc. My aftermarket wideband is in the bottom bracket in orange and you can see that it varies from the start of the RPM band vs. the end.

Quick Reply: Those of you who added the CAI