ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca - Page 5 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 ZR1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Notices
C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Old 07-12-2018, 12:39 AM
Newton06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by truth.b View Post
According to Google Watkins Glen is approx 4h 30mins drive from Manhattan. My advice is to go there and try it out. I live in NC and made the drive (with buddies) and got a chance to drive it years ago post repave. If I lived in any where near New York City, I would make that drive just to run that place again.

Google Maps Link: NYC to The Glen

Hi Truth.

Sorry I missed you at NCM.

I contacted the CI late & they had plenty of instructors by then. Hope to see you & your GF out there soon.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:46 AM
skank
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001 View Post
Itís going to be hard to beat the GT2RS and the 720S. The Ford GT didnít show because it would come in last.
Incredible excuse from what I heard and very lame. Too bad because it's still a very fast car and it's American !
Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 AM
skank
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo View Post
He melted down its tires and called it jittery or something derogatory. He has also misused the ZR1 per GM's instructions.

Anything else wise guys?
Since Randy has always been a Porsche guy I've always wondered how hard he has pushed the Corvettes.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:08 AM
skank
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by keagan View Post
Can you share??
We talked about various things from what I can put out on the forum to what I observed the last time I saw the ZR1 testing at LS last year. One of the questions I asked the Development Engineer was what was asked on the Ask Tadge question this last week about the tunnel aluminum overlay with vents. Seems to be just a clearance issue to the road surface more than anything and not a heating issue. There will be a short single sentence answer to that one.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:14 AM
skank
CF Senior Member

I also covertly asked about "Future Corvette Reveals" to the Marketing guy. He was tight lipped and just smiled. I tried to extole the virtues of revealing the "Special Future Corvettes" (mid engined C8) to the Pebble Beach Concour D'Elegance and a few other locations during Monterey Classic Car Week since there's more mid engined sports cars displayed there than any other venue on the planet.

Last edited by skank; 07-12-2018 at 01:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to skank For This Useful Post:
911Hunter (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 AM
keagan
CF Senior Member

Thanks bud! Canít wait to see the results. My gut tells me the Z wonít win but screw the BDC award, I wanna see what it lays down with the big boys.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 2,944 Times in 2,019 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException View Post
Have you read MotorTrend's ZR1 review? ZR1 pulled less lateral g in skidpad than Z06 and the willow time of ZR1 and Z06 are very close.
Skid pad tests don't always predict how well the car will handle at speed going through a corner. That is why slalom tests have been added to almost every car mag evaluation. However, even then you really don't know until you brake into a corner and then put the power down coming off the apex of each turn. The ZR1 is heavier in the nose than the Z06 but they compensated to some degree with wider front rims and more down force than the Z06 has.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Dearborn For This Useful Post:
911Hunter (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 2,944 Times in 2,019 Posts

Again, you are an instructor. The other guy is good enough to be driving faster than the porsche cup car.
Another one has been tracking his Z06 over a dozen times a year for 3 years now. I am not like you guys. Where I live, every race track requires private membership with dues exceeding $30,000/year minimum. I am lucky if I can do 1 proper track day if not maybe 2 a year and those cost $3000 each with insurance, track costs, and other consummables. I have to drive an entire day each way to even go to a track I can use. Unfortunately i dont live in midwest or in the middle of nowhere. I live 20 miles outside of downtown Manhattan. I cant and will never be able to drive as good as you or the other guy or the other fella. We are not comparing these cars under excellent conditions. We are comparing them under not so ideal, more realistic conditions.
Here is one thing you can do. Join BMW CCA (you don't need to own a BMW). Cost is $50 per year. Sign up for the September GVC/Boston Chapters Driving School at the Glen on Sept 23-24. Cost $495 for BMW Club Members. You are at $550 cost now. Car consumables and tech inspection plan on spending $500. Hotel plan on spending $300 (the local motels charge somewhere around $120 per night for out of season rates), Food plan on spending about $55 per day ($15 for lunch and $40 for dinner, you can spend lots more but why would you?), Car insurance plan on $650. That gets you about $2200 max for a weekend at the Glen. You will get yourself an excellent school, an instructor in the car with you and two days of track time. NASA, CHIN and others also put on schools at the Glen but there charges are $115 to $200 more for two days. There is a driver's school there almost every day of the season other than when NASCAR is there or some company rents the track. Phoenix CMR, Trackmasters, PCA and Hooked on Driving all have schools there as well.

Bill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Dearborn For This Useful Post:
Newton06 (07-12-2018), The HACK (07-16-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:35 AM
heavychevy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Anyone notice that the subject of MT's article is the best DRIVER'S car? That would be the Miata, Alfa or a GT-3. No knock against any Vette, but they don't have the quite the same degree of driver connection. Lap times shouldn't matter much if the test is actually for the goal advertised.

Lap times always matter, unless your car mostly drives itself, akin to a GT-R. Some drivers like fast cars. Put that miata on the same track and spend all day with your arm out of the window pointing people by every few laps. That's no fun. A GT2 RS isn't a drivers car, but bet you have a blast driving one, if you aren't scared that is.

BTW I like how you single out the Vette and don't include the turbo GT2RS or 720 in that statement. You are pushing on certified hater level at this point.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:11 AM
Palantirion
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
Lap times always matter, unless your car mostly drives itself, akin to a GT-R. Some drivers like fast cars. Put that miata on the same track and spend all day with your arm out of the window pointing people by every few laps. That's no fun. A GT2 RS isn't a drivers car, but bet you have a blast driving one, if you aren't scared that is.

BTW I like how you single out the Vette and don't include the turbo GT2RS or 720 in that statement. You are pushing on certified hater level at this point.
- Some years ago I tracked a late-'90s Miata the same day as a Gallardo Balboni Edition. My first time in either car (either manufacturer for that matter). The Miata was a better driver's car in every respect, and by a wide margin. The Lambo was much faster. Didn't matter to me; it wasn't fun, it didn't talk to me, it wasn't a good driver's car.

p.s. I wouldn't have ordered a ZR1 if I thought the C7 wasn't a good driver's car.

Last edited by Palantirion; 07-12-2018 at 06:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Palantirion For This Useful Post:
911Hunter (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM
UnhandledException
CF Senior Member

I appreciate the input regarding tracking. All taken positively and I will try to follow your advice. Thank you guys, you are great.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM
LSs1Power
CF Senior Member

You guys who want to talk about FASTER need to look at the lap times of 991.1 GT3 vs 991.2 GT3. There is a 25hp difference yet the difference is 1:27 vs 1:24. 3 seconds for a facelift of the SAME CAR. With ZR1 you have a car that costs $60,000 more, 100hp more, massive aero and pretty much new suspension and tune across the board yet the difference is 1 second.

ZR1 should have posted at least a 1:22 laptime there, it is a huge slap on the face.
Actually the new 991.2 GT3 engine is making more than 500HP, more like 525HP. Its putting down 450-460whp stock while the 991.1 GT3 puts down 400-410whp. I have a 991.2 manual GT3 and raced a modified 991.1 GT3 that is making 460whp and still pulled ahead and kept pulling away.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:03 PM
keagan
CF Senior Member

Skank! Wake up bud! Remember to take a stop watch.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM
RJ-92
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by truth.b View Post
According to Google Watkins Glen is approx 4h 30mins drive from Manhattan. My advice is to go there and try it out. I live in NC and made the drive (with buddies) and got a chance to drive it years ago post repave. If I lived in any where near New York City, I would make that drive just to run that place again.

Google Maps Link: NYC to The Glen

WG is a great track. A lot of fun and it has a bit of everything. I had the chance to drive it the year before it was repaved but haven't since. I hope to make it out there again soon.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Corvette_Nut
CF Senior Member

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California

And so it begins....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corvette_Nut For This Useful Post:
ilkSurfer (07-12-2018), Ryan427 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Corvette_Nut
CF Senior Member

Hopefully C7 ZR1 Plate Number #45257 Can Bring It On Home

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

Last edited by Corvette_Nut; 07-12-2018 at 02:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corvette_Nut For This Useful Post:
ilkSurfer (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 02:17 PM
I brake for nothing
CF Senior Member

Oh god thats how this thread ends off. I have teh blue ***** for the lap times
Old 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Corvette_Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by I brake for nothing View Post
Oh god thats how this thread ends off. I have teh blue ***** for the lap times

LOL! Brilliant isn't it? That's how you sell magazines....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Old 07-12-2018, 03:50 PM
raff
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-Ď18-'19

. I have to drive an entire day each way to even go to a track I can use. Unfortunately i dont live in midwest or in the middle of nowhere. I live 20 miles outside of downtown Manhattan. I cant and will never be able to drive as good as you or the other guy or the other fella. We are not comparing these cars under excellent conditions. We are comparing them under not so ideal, more realistic conditions.
Besides Watkins Glen mentioned earlier --
there's Lime Rock in NW Connecticut
http://limerock.com/track-days-on-the-road-course

Also Thompson Speedway:in NE Connecticut
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/events

Last edited by raff; 07-12-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 PM
keagan
CF Senior Member

Randyís fist means only one thing... when you all figure it out let me know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: