C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Word is, this Bad Boy may have set the Lap...

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Old 07-12-2018, 05:42 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Special 15s Ring Cup 2 R rubber!? ;)

Originally Posted by corvette_nut
word is, this bad boy may have set the lap...

save the wave,
corvette_nut
​​​​​

Originally Posted by z06norway
today i was informed a shocking info on porsche gt2rs and gt3 rs regarding their record time on nurburgring.... On 2018 cup tires they got no better than 7.02 lap time with the gt2rs...... With the new cup 2 r they shaved off 15+ sec. :-0 good luck finding a set..... It will be months until they reach the shop for me and you...

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-12-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
​​​​​
The word I read today?
Well, it's only what, 2x the price of the ZR1 before you start adding in all the options?

That the ZR1 can even play in that realm is impressive.

It's also very unlikely you'd ever see one of these at a DE. Maybe a private event like VIR Club or similar.

Not knocking it in any way; impressive for sure.

Looking forward to the full results.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

No doubt, this Porsche is well balanced and all business. Perhaps we need a Mid Engine Replacement....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Old 07-12-2018, 08:28 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Gotta say I’m a bit crushed. Not that I should but I am anyways. Momma!!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Fitz89
89X
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

Again, you are an instructor. The other guy is good enough to be driving faster than the porsche cup car.
Another one has been tracking his Z06 over a dozen times a year for 3 years now. I am not like you guys. Where I live, every race track requires private membership with dues exceeding $30,000/year minimum. I am lucky if I can do 1 proper track day if not maybe 2 a year and those cost $3000 each with insurance, track costs, and other consummables. I have to drive an entire day each way to even go to a track I can use. Unfortunately i dont live in midwest or in the middle of nowhere. I live 20 miles outside of downtown Manhattan. I cant and will never be able to drive as good as you or the other guy or the other fella. We are not comparing these cars under excellent conditions. We are comparing them under not so ideal, more realistic conditions.
What are you smoking, or maybe who has been selling you this BS. NJMP is 2 hrs from you, can do a track day for a couple hundred bucks, or a 2 day event an instructor for $500. Watkins Geln is close, Palmer isnt that far, even Summit Point is only 3-4 hrs, go due a track day then come back and report how much fun you had, in any car.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Just got back and observed all four car's Hot Laps. All I can say is I saw some crazy fast cars today. Now depending how they interpret overall ultimate speed vs Best Driver usability is a different question. After all it's obvious these four were going to be the fastest out of the 12 cars here. And two of the four cars are track only cars and the other two are almost daily drivers. The ZR1 is clearly the most practical of the four and can be taken on a trip if desired. I'm sorry I can't give any more info out at this point as I promised to keep my trap shut. The Lightning Lap test is also evidently done and complete so we have two stellar tests to look forward to. Stay tuned.
The following 5 users liked this post by skank:
911Hunter (07-14-2018), bgspot (07-24-2018), johnglenntwo (07-12-2018), timmyZ06 (07-17-2018), zhopper05 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default An Autonomous eLSD! ;)

Originally Posted by Newton06
Well, it's only what, 2x the price of the ZR1 before you start adding in all the options?

That the ZR1 can even play in that realm is impressive.

It's also very unlikely you'd ever see one of these at a DE. Maybe a private event like VIR Club or similar.

Not knocking it in any way; impressive for sure.

Looking forward to the full results.
At least an exemplary working one! Tires....Great to see the 911Turbo finally really putting it down after forty years! Amazing.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-12-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:41 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

GT2RS>720S>ZR1

Willow + 1

As expected.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Porsche Tires for everyone! ;)

Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

Again, you are an instructor. The other guy is good enough to be driving faster than the porsche cup car.
Another one has been tracking his Z06 over a dozen times a year for 3 years now. I am not like you guys. Where I live, every race track requires private membership with dues exceeding $30,000/year minimum. I am lucky if I can do 1 proper track day if not maybe 2 a year and those cost $3000 each with insurance, track costs, and other consummables. I have to drive an entire day each way to even go to a track I can use. Unfortunately i dont live in midwest or in the middle of nowhere. I live 20 miles outside of downtown Manhattan. I cant and will never be able to drive as good as you or the other guy or the other fella. We are not comparing these cars under excellent conditions. We are comparing them under not so ideal, more realistic conditions.
What?
Chin Motorsports runs at Watkins Glen (~4 hours), NJMP (~2 hours), PittRace (~6 hours) and VIR (~7 1/2 hours but well worth the trip). SCDA runs events at Lime Rock (2 hours), Palmer Motorsports Park (~3 hours), NH Motor Speedway (~4 1/2 hours), Watkins Glen and NJMP. Registration is ~$350/day, insurance is ~$750-800/event. So yes, it costs $1000-1500/day to run cars at this level. If you can afford a ZR1, you can afford track days. So don't be ridiculous with the claim that the tracks in the NE require "$30,000/year minimum" memberships and having to drive "an entire day each way to even go to a track". FWIW...the annual membership is NOWHERE NEAR $30k/year for NJMP. When I lived in NJ for 17 years I almost joined, and it was a fraction of that claim. You're thinking of Monticello, which is very expensive.
S.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Just got back and observed all four car's Hot Laps. All I can say is I saw some crazy fast cars today. Now depending how they interpret overall ultimate speed vs Best Driver usability is a different question. After all it's obvious these four were going to be the fastest out of the 12 cars here. And two of the four cars are track only cars and the other two are almost daily drivers. The ZR1 is clearly the most practical of the four and can be taken on a trip if desired. I'm sorry I can't give any more info out at this point as I promised to keep my trap shut. The Lightning Lap test is also evidently done and complete so we have two stellar tests to look forward to. Stay tuned.
Great now I can’t get no sleep. Although I don’t know the results and I’m only assuming the Z couldn’t pull it off based on no excitement in your post. Why skank why??? I need my momma!!
The following users liked this post:
skank (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:02 AM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Regardless of the outcome, what an Amazing Time For Us Car Folk!....
​​​​

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
​​​​
Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Agreed! A great time indeed!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-13-2018, 01:42 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you know what octane they were running?

At Road Atlanta where Randy got almost 4 seconds faster in a zr1 than z06 im guessing the zr1 was using what is it 100 octane thats recommended in the owners manual?

Im guessing from Skanks post incl the reference to streetability that the LS ZR1 time will be 4th... appreciated nonetheless

Last edited by Achmed; 07-13-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:15 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

After talking to both McLaren and Aston Martin people I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they feel Motor trend does the best testing procedures of any car magazine Europe or North America.
The following 3 users liked this post by skank:
Suns_PSD (07-13-2018), VetterFlyer (07-14-2018), zhopper05 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:18 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Achmed
Do you know what octane they were running?

At Road Atlanta where Randy got almost 4 seconds faster in a zr1 than z06 im guessing the zr1 was using what is it 100 octane thats recommended in the owners manual?

Im guessing from Skanks post incl the reference to streetability that the LS ZR1 time will be 4th... appreciated nonetheless
I'm sure they were filling up at the track where they have the higher octane.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
​​​​

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
I personally think it will come down to the ZR1/720S out of the 4 heavy hitters. This is best drivers car, not best track car. The RS/Performante seem to me to track oriented. Bang for the buck goes to the ZR1 as well. Unfortunately the whole test is biased to what the guys who are doing the testing think.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by the professor
That's too bad! The 7 speed would have given a big leg up for the ZR1 at Best Driver's Car, the option for 3 pedals sets it a apart from all the Europeans in the test. I understand that the A8 might be faster at LS and is a better representation of what the majority of customers are opting for but BDC is about the whole experience and our auto doesn't stack up that well against PDK and the other dual clutch transmissions.
I agree with you 100%, sending the A8 instantly exposes it to negative commentary because the A8 sucks compared to many of the top gearbox's of today. I think had they sent a manual, maybe they lost a second but they'd have the REP! I figure though, if they tell Randy keep it in D and just focus and run it, it'll likely put down a potential serious time so...I suppose its a wash. Given the fact we won't seemingly ever see a Nurburgring time, I guess this is what we have to hope for when it comes to beating the GT2RS.

I'm wondering if the GT2RS had the voodoo Michelins that aren't out yet?
Old 07-13-2018, 03:29 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I feel like it's going to be a TALL order to beat that 720S as best drivers car...the things suspension, combined with its brute speed and yet almost absurd civility...that's the car to beat if you ask me.

Did you actually do any timing to get a feel where everything landed?

Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca