C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
For the BDC test it looks like they're allowong the gt2rs to use different tires when track vs street testing, am I the only one who finds that a bit odd?
As Sargent Schultze on Hogans Hero would always say, "I Hear Nothing"
Old 07-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Honestly, if the worst thing I have to complain about is that the ZR1 in my garage is a tad slower than a new GT2 RS or a 720S I think I can live with that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
desmophile (07-14-2018), dgerstel (07-14-2018), keagan (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:39 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

For the BDC test it looks like they're allowong the gt2rs to use different tires when track vs street testing, am I the only one who finds that a bit odd?
I also read that particular question on his Instagram. Does a tire really shave off all that time though? Dang!
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (07-15-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
I also read that particular question on his Instagram. Does a tire really shave off all that time though? Dang!
The tires seem different enough to prompt switching them out for street use, or why wouldnt they just use one tire for both like the rest of the cars in the competition do?

Maybe its hair splitting but it seems to be an unfair exception.
911Hunter (07-15-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 03:08 PM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Twitchiness is the quickest way to make the driver dial it back a bit.
No kidding!
Old 07-14-2018, 03:25 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Yes! On a normal 2 mile track a tire might shave off 1.5-2 seconds. On the nurburgring it's 13 miles so about 6 times longer than your normal track. So 10-12 seconds isn't far fetched.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Okay GM you are set! ;)

Of course 1:51....!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-14-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

The tires seem different enough to prompt switching them out for street use, or why wouldnt they just use one tire for both like the rest of the cars in the competition do?

Maybe its hair splitting but it seems to be an unfair exception.
I am willing to wager that without that exception Porsche would have not played and that can hit MT's pockets in terms of magazine sales and ROI on this test.
So I lean towards the as long it is disclosed... and every one else is OK with it (which I bet they are as there is a car for each flavor...) then go for it. Everybody wins..if you get my slant.. ;-)

Old 07-14-2018, 04:09 PM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

We aren't completely sure that the RS or 720 beat the ZR1 yet but like I said in the vs. 1LE thread, it would be very easy for GM to make a faster package for the ZR like they did on the C6 with the PDE. They already have the Michelin partnership to get the cup 2 R's, raid the Camaro parts bin (not sure why they aren't already available on the Vette when little bro has them) for multimatic dssv shocks, next year they should be able to take some carbon wheels from the ME car, and make the intake standard equipment. I would love to see this (and maybe some dropped weight) as a "send off" package in 2021. Such a car would have no problem with the RS, 720 and even the eventual LT version of the McLaren.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:17 PM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

There was actually a documentary of the Viper ACR that discussed this. The reason why the Viper was having issues getting a sub 7 second lap was because they opted to use the tires that came with the ACR, which caused them to crash the car when they decided not to change the tires after just one lap. The people at the Nurburgring explicitly stated themselves that in order for the Viper team to get a sub 7 second lap, they needed to bring their own special compound tires that are not sold in the production lineup. Unlike Dodge (and chevy), Lamborghini and Porsche with the Performante and GT2 RS decided to bring their own tires so they could get those fast lap times. This is why there is a lot controversy concerning their lap times and also why the ZR1 was having issues at the Nurburgring; sport tires just don't do it for that that track if you want to get a sub 7 lap. I'm sure that Porsche is using the same tires from the Nurburgring so that they insure they get the fastest laps possible.

BTW here is the documentary of Viper, its worth watching:

Old 07-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Achmed
Drifting

True, at least its disclosed, better than not disclosing.

I wonder if this had anything to do with why Ford GT opted out.

GM should have insisted they use a manual ZR1 for driver engagement points during the street test and the A8 for speed during track testing lol. Maybe also the non ZTK version too for the street lol.

maybe part of being a great "drivers car" is the inconvenience ability of having 2 sets of rims and tires, garage space and hardware to swap them when you wish, maybe a trailer and truck too.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:00 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Old 07-14-2018, 05:00 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

I m confused, even if what you all are saying is true, with these R compounds, ZR1 would only have a 7:00 run since with regular cup tires it did 7:12. And all these claims are so easy to validate. Why doesnt one of the owners get these R tires and do a comparison using PDR data?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:33 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

They are starting to show up on track days too. PBIR.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:42 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default It's still on! ;)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4109095-nurburgring-update-8.html

Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
I m confused, even if what you all are saying is true, with these R compounds, ZR1 would only have a 7:00 run since with regular cup tires it did 7:12. And all these claims are so easy to validate. Why doesnt one of the owners get these R tires and do a comparison using PDR data?
zr1 got 12:07 at the Ring with cup 2's so could have got under 11:45 with cheater tires
Old 07-14-2018, 05:48 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

This tire crying is ridiculous... The Corvette has had the best tire for the past 5+ years... now Porsche finally has a better tire... and it's cry me a river?

The ZR1 couldn't finish a complete lap around the ring.

The Viper couldn't finish a lap... because their tires were too soft... which was great for the first 6 or 7 miles... but then a detriment.

The RS cars did 4 laps in under 1 hour... all less than 7 minutes. Yes, they put on new tires for each lap... but they are available now to purchase. So if the tires are softer, they're also more durable... which clearly is a fine balance.

Tires will always be 'better for some worse for others'... the Trofeo R is the fastest 'production' tire out right now.

I actually would like to see 'all cars' equalized.... with Michelin Pilot 4S, no matter what the make/model.. (Or Hoosier R7's, but that's probably less likely).

We don't know the results yet, I think the ZR1 is going to be a formidable weapon around Laguna, and all manufactures are now in the habit of being sure to install a fresh set of tires before the 'record lap'.

The Mclaren, is frankly stupid fast... but doesn't have the aero... and last test around willow, they 'forgot' to include the Trofeo R's... if those tires show up... that car may be toughest to beat.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 07-14-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Old 07-14-2018, 05:49 PM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
They are starting to show up on track days too. PBIR.

Guy with the V Wagon is the coolest guy at any track day!
Old 07-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
This tire crying is ridiculous... The Corvette has had the best tire for the past 5+ years... now Porsche finally has a better tire... and it's cry me a river?

The Viper couldn't finish a lap... because their tires were too soft... which was great for the first 6 or 7 miles... but then a detriment.

The RS cars did 4 laps in under 1 hour... all less than 7 minutes. Yes, they put on new tires for each lap... but they are available now to purchase. So if the tires are softer, they're also more durable... which clearly is a fine balance.

Tires will always be 'better for some worse for others'... the Trofeo R is the fastest 'production' tire out right now.

I actually would like to see 'all cars' equalized.... with Michelin Pilot 4S, no matter what the make/model.. (Or Hoosier R7's, but that's probably less likely).

We don't know the results yet, I think the ZR1 is going to be a formidable weapon around Laguna, and all manufactures are now in the habit of being sure to install a fresh set of tires before the 'record lap'.

The Mclaren, is frankly stupid fast... but doesn't have the aero... and last test around willow, they 'forgot' to include the Trofeo R's... if those tires show up... that car may be toughest to beat.

Best Regards,
Dave
Dear Dave,

Nobody is "tire crying" over here and if anything else you should have caught the sarcasm between me and Achmed… we understand the game...the GT2RS needs track tires non homologated for street to shine - got it and frankly, just like you, we'd like to see this show as much as you do. All we are saying is the lady has "track implants"...that's all... LoL..
Old 07-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz

Best Regards,
Dave
The same corvette oem tires are always used on both the track and street components of such comparison tests. Same with most other manufacturers.

If the porsche tires are streetable why are they being swapped out before street use by MT?

Are they also swapping back in the AC, audio etc after the track? Lol
911Hunter (07-15-2018)

Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca