C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
On Thursday the 12th the ZR1 finished last at Laguna Seca, out of all cars or just last out of the 4 top ones?
The ZR1 didn't finish 'last', the 'BDC' event finished 'last tuesday'

No one knows the results yet.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 07-18-2018, 02:10 AM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Anyone know when the results will be released?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:33 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizz
Anyone know when the results will be released?
Probably in September or October
The following users liked this post:
Pizz (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Jonny said September 20th.
Pizz (07-18-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:33 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Performante accessible! ;)

The following 2 users liked this post by johnglenntwo:
CorvettoBrando (07-20-2018), Telepierre (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:50 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Great video - thanks, John ! The Z06 done good !!
Old 07-20-2018, 02:09 AM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 without SC2 R tires in this test...

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Great video - thanks, John ! The Z06 done good !!
Most interesting to me is that the 991.2 GT3 in this test, with PDK and all, was 1 second slower on this tight, short track than the manual equipped Z06. I know it's only one track, and this is not the GT3 RS, but it would seem to me that the MPSC 2R makes for a whole lot of track time gained on the 991.2 platform...

Last edited by CorvettoBrando; 07-20-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:05 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

More HP/Weight makes up for poorer chassis / handling every time. The Z06 has a lot of HP and low end torque. On a short tight track that can be a huge advantage. The other car with high HP/Weight and good low end torque, is the Lamborghini Huracan with that big V10 which had the best time.

In all the discussions of ME vs. FE, it is assumed that the ME always has an advantage, but that also assumes equal HP and flat torque curves. For a real world example the Ford GT, a mid-engine which has a sophisticated race car chassis but “only” 650 HP is slower at VIR than a 755 HP front-engine ZR1 with a (good) street car chassis. Mark Donahue once said a LeMans car had “sufficient” HP when it could light up the rear tires all the way down the Mulsanne straight. He almost got it with the 1300+ HP Porsche 917-30.

That is why i’d love to see the C8 ME with either an LT4 or LT5 engine. Despite all the interest in a DOHC, twin-turbo engine on the horizon, there does not appear to be much, if any, advantage of these “sophisticated” engines over the current DI supercharged small-block, except (perhaps) in fuel economy.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando
Most interesting to me is that the 991.2 GT3 in this test, with PDK and all, was 1 second slower on this tight, short track than the manual equipped Z06. I know it's only one track, and this is not the GT3 RS, but it would seem to me that the MPSC 2R makes for a whole lot of track time gained on the 991.2 platform...
Most definitely.

"Guys direct from the horses mouth these are race compound tires. Typically our race slicks in a GTD level car are amazing for 90-120 mins of use MAX. so- if you heat cycle them 2-3x in a day do not expect to get much of anything from them on day 2."

Quote from Race Team Owner/Porsche Dealership owner/Baseball player CJ Wilson.

It's making sense now why Porsche had to use different tires for the road test. The other news (less confirmed but reliable sources) is that they will cost twice as much as regular cup 2's and have half the life, which on GT3's has been pretty bad anyways with the chunking of the outer edge in the rear. Sounds like they will be available in limited sizing from tire vendors though. Not sure what sizes though.

By all accounts, these look like hero lap tires. Not a reliable street/track tire, and will be a large part of how the GT2/3 RS perform in tests vs the 991.1's. Like I said, not sustainable unless you want a race car tire budget for your trackable street car. Better off with hoosiers. Cheaper, as fast or faster and more reliable.

skank (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:02 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Hoosier's aren't advertised as street tires! ;)

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Most definitely.

"Guys direct from the horses mouth these are race compound tires. Typically our race slicks in a GTD level car are amazing for 90-120 mins of use MAX. so- if you heat cycle them 2-3x in a day do not expect to get much of anything from them on day 2."

It's making sense now why Porsche had to use different tires for the road test. The other news (less confirmed but reliable sources) is that they will cost twice as much as regular cup 2's and have half the life, which on GT3's has been pretty bad anyways with the chunking of the outer edge in the rear. Sounds like they will be available in limited sizing from tire vendors though. Not sure what sizes though.

By all accounts, these look like hero lap tires. Not a reliable street/track tire, and will be a large part of how the GT2/3 RS perform in tests vs the 991.1's. Like I said, not sustainable unless you want a race car tire budget for your trackable street car. Better off with hoosiers. Cheaper, as fast or faster and more reliable.
Cups are trash in short order on track.
Trofeo's are getting validated at The Ring on the C7. They are reds and are trash ONCE they are tracked. If they hold together over there Michelin better have a softer Cup out!
Gleen That Superstars!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-20-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:30 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Most definitely.

For the same reason, the GT3 (991.2) tires are not near the grip level of the Corvette Compound. It's all semantics... some day we'll get a magazine to put Hoosiers on them all, (or even Micheln PS4S') and do back to back laps, to remove the tire benefit or handicap.

I agree with you that for now, none of us know how different this CUP2R tire compound is, but the tread pattern is confirmed to be identical to the Corvette tread and only available on the RS cars. The GT3 cars get the 'fuller tread' version of the Cup2. But the GT cars do benefit from no run flats... also wish Corvette would ditch those on the ZTK/Z07 equipped cars.

If these new Cup 2R tires end up costing as much as we believe (ie TrofeoR prices of $600+ ea) I'm not sure why people wouldn't just buy an extra set of wheels... and goto Hoosier's? Easily would run $400 to $500 less a set... be quicker and last longer.

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 07-20-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default The ZR1 tires are woefully limited! ;)

You get what you pay for, Add $800! Sure would like to see those performance metrics side by side.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-20-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:37 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
For the same reason, the GT3 (991.2) tires are not near the grip level of the Corvette Compound. It's all semantics... some day we'll get a magazine to put Hoosiers on them all, (or even Micheln PS4S') and do back to back laps, to remove the tire benefit or handicap.

I agree with you that for now, none of us know how different this CUP2R tire compound is, but the tread pattern is confirmed to be identical to the Corvette tread and only available on the RS cars. The GT3 cars get the 'fuller tread' version of the Cup2. But the GT cars do benefit from no run flats... also wish Corvette would ditch those on the ZTK/Z07 equipped cars.

If these new Cup 2R tires end up costing as much as we believe (ie TrofeoR prices of $600+ ea) I'm not sure why people wouldn't just buy an extra set of wheels... and goto Hoosier's? Easily would run $400 to $500 less a set... be quicker and last longer.

Best Regards,
Dave
tread pattern means very little. People tend to be visual so assuming correlation is natural. The tire compounds are now specific to the r&d of these vehicles. That’s pushed further by porsche and these Cup R’s.

Bike mags will test with a control tire which makes things nice and clean. They also allow for suspension changes to deal with diameter and carcass stiffness deltas. Easy to do on a bike.

i do think you’d see some strong pushback from manufacturers in the car industry if trying to do spec tires. You’d likely be better off getting some of the popular youtube personalities putting on a shootout with a pro driver and spec tires. Now that Hoosiers come in many sizes, that’d be a good choice. It’d also take away the excuse for any manufacturer claiming their OEM tire is better.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:17 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Subjective!? ;)

Best Regards,
Dave
The SA test aforementioned has his 911 acting like a 911 and he calls it tires claiming the Corvette had a better tire version. He never considerers the chassis. A chassis exhibiting those same old behaviors.
Tires are only part and parcel of a system. At the end of the day the package does what its been engineered to do.
It's like the McLaren is running Corsas because McLaren Engineer's thought it would do better with something else. Who knows how it would drift with a R rated tire.

It won't be until (if and when) we get those ME chassis in a Z51 form that we will be armed indisputably.
The bandaids just confuse the issues.

That being said the ZR1 obvious cheap tire choice is that bang for the buck Corvette give me. The same kind of give me the C5 had in respects to that era +$130K GT2.
The exotics are supposed to be perfect! Your 7:12 Factory Nurbugring time vs the SA Z06 +1.2s was on these same tires!?

I also didn't even look at that whole video before I pasted it here, only the winner. The guys reported on it!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-21-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Robert R1

tread pattern means very little. People tend to be visual so assuming correlation is natural. The tire compounds are now specific to the r&d of these vehicles. That’s pushed further by porsche and these Cup R’s.

Bike mags will test with a control tire which makes things nice and clean. They also allow for suspension changes to deal with diameter and carcass stiffness deltas. Easy to do on a bike.

i do think you’d see some strong pushback from manufacturers in the car industry if trying to do spec tires. You’d likely be better off getting some of the popular youtube personalities putting on a shootout with a pro driver and spec tires. Now that Hoosiers come in many sizes, that’d be a good choice. It’d also take away the excuse for any manufacturer claiming their OEM tire is better.
I mentioned that pages ago, didn't seem to stick. Manufacturers are are able to spec their own compounds now. They've had plenty of test time with Michelin to get the tire exactly how they want it. Compound is what determines speed. Tread pattern means next to nothing, especially with so little tread depth.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:56 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Best Regards,
Dave
He's not a magazine but it's been done and the z06 isn't even in the competition anymore after removing the obvious tire advantage.

https://youtu.be/6ZbYTHWpJ-4

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-21-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default My god this is OLD! ;)

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
He's not a magazine but it's been done and the z06 isn't even in the competition anymore after removing the obvious tire advantage.

I believe it was last fall when the ZO6 got a programming bump. VIR 3s!?
The aforementioned SA is way more significant with new cars.

Don't worry I'll connect the dots for youse!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Old 07-21-2018, 01:26 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

The Z06 was on cup 2 and the other cars on trofeo r. Trofeo r are faster.
johnglenntwo (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
*Non Ford-owned Multimatic built a decent looking carbon tub GT*
The GT is a terrific race car. Race car developer/builder Multimatic designed it to be such. Costs were of little concern. Chip Gnassi developed the racing version of the Eco boost engine over a multi year program in ALMS/IMSA P (prototype) class. The GT is pretty much a prototype race car that was later modified to meet street safety requirements. It was given a waiver to race before the homoligation rules were satisfied. Look inside the “cockpit” of a street model... most normal size driver and passenger shoulders are touching. Virtually no seating adjustment. Luggage capacity is approximatly one basket ball (behind the mid engine). If a ZR1 ranks a 5 of 10 for being a practical street car, the GT is lucky to be a 1 IMO.. that being said, Id love to have one in the garage with the ZR1.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 07-21-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:30 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

That is the spirit of what would help 'level the playing field'... which it clearly leveled the field for the Ferrari, Lambo & Mclaren, but they weren't able to run the same tire on the Z06 in that test. So for the first 3... I think that we can say the 675LT is the quickest. The Z06, while finishing last, was not on the Trofeo R's... it was on the Cup 2's. I do think it speaks somewhat to give more credibility to Randy's laps.. as Randy's gone 1:25 flat and their professional driver was 3 seconds slower. Not sure what sort of track temps/time of year they were doing the event. Their driver was also 2 seconds slower than Randy in the 675LT.

But I like taking the 'tire factor' out of the argument between those 3 for sure!

Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Dave Schotz; 07-21-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca