C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Old 07-10-2018, 08:06 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Default ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Ladies and Gents
I will be going up to Laguna Seca today to attend the start of the Motor Trends Best Drivers Car test. I contacted Jonny Lieberman a few months ago to ask what cars are in it this year. So far they have the Blade Silver Corvette ZR1 with the ZTK package, Guards Red Porsche GT2RS, Arancio Anthaeus Orange Lamborghini Huracan Performante, Orange McLaren 720S Performance, Lime Essence Green New Aston Martin Vantage. So far I haven't seen a Ferrari Pista ! I'll report back.

Last edited by skank; 07-10-2018 at 09:32 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by skank:
911Hunter (07-14-2018), bgspot (07-24-2018), DebRedZR1 (07-10-2018), HotHonda (07-11-2018), ilkSurfer (07-11-2018), larryfdx (07-10-2018), nist7 (07-12-2018), WaxWeekly (07-10-2018), zhopper05 (07-10-2018), ZoratZ06 (07-12-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

07-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

Again, you are an instructor. The other guy is good enough to be driving faster than the porsche cup car.
Another one has been tracking his Z06 over a dozen times a year for 3 years now. I am not like you guys. Where I live, every race track requires private membership with dues exceeding $30,000/year minimum. I am lucky if I can do 1 proper track day if not maybe 2 a year and those cost $3000 each with insurance, track costs, and other consummables. I have to drive an entire day each way to even go to a track I can use. Unfortunately i dont live in midwest or in the middle of nowhere. I live 20 miles outside of downtown Manhattan. I cant and will never be able to drive as good as you or the other guy or the other fella. We are not comparing these cars under excellent conditions. We are comparing them under not so ideal, more realistic conditions.
I don't understand why someone who admits they don't track much feels so compelled to complain about a car you will never own or track. However, let me help you get on track more. You don't need to belong to NJMP, Watkins Glen, or Pocono to go to track days there and I suspect all of those are within about 3-4 hours of where you are. Look in to the big car clubs or track day organizers as I know HOD has track days at all those tracks.

As far as the discussion on tenths, here is probably the best description I've seen written by one of the best pro driver coaches out there - Peter Krause
http://peterkrause.net/Krause_%26_As...ck_Wisdom.html

“Tenths,” and their appropriate use on the track...

When I describe "tenths,” or the system of assigning a relative speed, level of concentration or demonstration of car physics on-track to someone, it usually follows these definitions.

3/10 is driving on a flat, straight and level road with no distractions.

4/10 is driving on a gently curving Interstate with low traffic density at a higher rate of speed than at 3/10.

5/10 is driving quickly, but efficiently and at the speed limit on the street, more concentration required due to more "hazards" present.

6/10 is a standard DE lap or an out lap early on in a race weekend, for me. The purpose may be to re-familiarize myself with the race track, enjoy a relaxed lap or just "cruise" around and, in particular, designed to take NOTHING out of the car. This is also the level of driving quickly on the Interstate with a fair bit of traffic at higher speeds.

7/10 is a more aggressive DE level, designed to begin to "move the car around" and just a little more taxing on the car. Also, 7/10 can be an out lap later on in a race weekend, usually the result of greater confidence and familiarity. Relatively wide variation in lap time depending on traffic and concentration.

8/10 is an easily sustained level, requiring high levels of concentration, generally attained after the first few laps of a race or enduro when the dust settles and you slide into driving quickly and accurately, but are not locked in a battle that is external to you and your car. The car is sliding, but only at the beginning or the end of a corner and not at all corners and not on all laps. Generally laps are within .8-1.5 seconds apart and relatively consistent. This is the level I am most comfortable taking people around the track. Plenty of "headroom" and margin for error or changeable track conditions.

9/10 is driving pretty hard, but is sustainable, repeatable and the driver is still relatively accurate in their placement of the car. The car is now sliding much of the time, the driver is focused on catching someone or staying ahead of someone but is maintaining control and discipline of their own mind and of the car. At this point, the driver is using most of the width of the road, but not much curbing, and is focusing on drawing large arcs with the path of the car. The rhythm is such that the lap times are generally within .2 -.8 seconds apart, barring traffic or mistakes. This is my limit for one or two "hot laps" with someone riding with me.

9.5/10 is driving hard. More sliding, slightly quicker laps still than at 9/10. Less margin for error, a lot more work being done by the car. The driver is now "guiding" the car on a path selected well in advance. The car is sliding from turn-in, through the apex and is using the entire width of the paved track, plus the inside curbs. Cannot generally be sustained for more than five or six laps. I would not drive a car at this level with a passenger in it...

10/10 is when the skill level of a substantially experienced and supremely confident driver meets the competence level of the car nearly perfectly. The car is sliding nearly the entire lap. Slip angles of 7-12 degrees (DOT radials, less on radial slicks) are sustained through the entire length of most of the corners. The entire width of the road, plus the inside and outside (if available) curbing or pavement extensions are used, every corner, every lap. The previous lap is at 9 or 9.5/10 so that the "hot" lap is started at the greatest possible speed and with the highest possible concentration.

Typically, I drive 10/10's for one or two qualifying laps and my first few laps of the race to build a "gap" to the rest of the competition. I also drive 10/10's to experiment with changes made to the car or to evaluate tires in practice, not to mention putting in a "flyer" to achieve the psychological advantage of being on or near the top of the time sheet <grin>.

I may not drive 10/10’s more than a few laps during the weekend, but I pick and choose the time to do it. I feel like the car and I are balanced on a tightrope and I am constantly making tiny little corrections to adjust it's trajectory, with each correction making a difference... I'm not sure this level can be sustained more than two or three laps at a time. In order to be successful at the highest level of most organized competition, you must be able to drive at this level.

11/10's is when your talent runs out! <very big grin>

Old 07-10-2018, 08:32 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Cool, enjoy and thanks !
Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Awesome, thanks
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Zerski
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Ladies and Gents
I will be going up to Laguna Seca today to attend the start of the Motor Trends Best Drivers Car test. I contacted Jonny Lieberman a few months ago to ask what cars are in it this year. So far they have the Blade Silver Corvette ZR1 with the ZTK package, Guards Red Porsche GT2RS, Arancio Anthaeus Orange Lamborghini Huracan Performante, Orange McLaren 720S Performance, Lime Essence Green New Aston Martin Vantage. So far I haven't seen a Ferrari Pista ! I'll report back.
subscribed
Old 07-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

I hope for that test the ZR1 is a manual! But it's a MT test not C&D, so I'm guessing they would choose an A8.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:04 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

I just want to see the lap times. They can have their best driver's car title. Subscribed!
Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I'm Ready! ;)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-10-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:18 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

That is some stiff company to be in! The ZR1 is in for a ride!
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (07-14-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

It seems like a great day for some Testing...

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Old 07-10-2018, 02:27 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

You lucky bugger!
Old 07-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

The Competitors....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

The following 5 users liked this post by Corvette_Nut:
911Hunter (07-14-2018), bgspot (07-24-2018), furiousox (07-24-2018), NotreOkc (07-10-2018), Ryan427 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:32 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Wow! Well at least we know it secures a minimum of coming in 4th. lol! But I might be wrong since this won’t be only on the numbers it puts up but the overall package.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:37 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Hey Corvette_Nut,
I see you are there also. I just got back home and will be back tomorrow to view the hot laps. I told Jonny my mouth is zipped shut on the lap times. Since today is for doing the photo shoots and in car video stuff. So you rode up in the 720S if that is you taking the photos. Great morning temps for some fast times. No doubt we might see a production car lap record at Laguna with anyone of the four top cars that are over 700HP.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Hey Corvette_Nut,
I see you are there also. I just got back home and will be back tomorrow to view the hot laps. I told Jonny my mouth is zipped shut on the lap times. Since today is for doing the photo shoots and in car video stuff. So you rode up in the 720S if that is you taking the photos. Great morning temps for some fast times. No doubt we might see a production car lap record at Laguna with anyone of the four top cars that are over 700HP.

Hey Skank,

Unfortunately, I didn't roll up in the 720S. I just have really great Internet Google-ling Skills
I can't wait to see the final numbers when it's all said and done.

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default 100 Octane for Everyone! :0

Old 07-10-2018, 03:04 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
Hey Skank,

Unfortunately, I didn't roll up in the 720S. I just have really great Internet Google-ling Skills
I can't wait to see the final numbers when it's all said and done.

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Well, we have four cars there that in theory could set a new production lap record.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:16 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Palantirion
I hope for that test the ZR1 is a manual! But it's a MT test not C&D, so I'm guessing they would choose an A8.
It's a A8
911Hunter (07-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca

Old 07-10-2018, 04:24 PM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a A8
That's too bad! The 7 speed would have given a big leg up for the ZR1 at Best Driver's Car, the option for 3 pedals sets it a apart from all the Europeans in the test. I understand that the A8 might be faster at LS and is a better representation of what the majority of customers are opting for but BDC is about the whole experience and our auto doesn't stack up that well against PDK and the other dual clutch transmissions.
The following 2 users liked this post by the professor:
911Hunter (07-14-2018), SBC_and_a_stick (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM
the professor
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Very excited to see results though! BDC, R&T performance car of the year, and lightning lap make fall my favorite time of year!
911Hunter (07-14-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:34 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Stelvio and a Stinger in there, who said there isn't comedic relief?

Originally Posted by keagan
Wow! Well at least we know it secures a minimum of coming in 4th. lol! But I might be wrong since this won’t be only on the numbers it puts up but the overall package.
I wouldn't be so sure. The Aston is effectively a better looking AMG GT R, and we all know how well that one did last time.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 07-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 at Motor Trends Best Drivers Car Test today at Laguna Seca