C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Corvette ZR1 & 911 GT2RS

Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 956 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
ZR1 in this test
0- to 60 3.1
0 to 100 6.5
1/4 mile 11.0 131

Z06 from previous test
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.1 sec @ 127 mph

pretty close results
So I guess folks who bought the Zr1 @ MSRP this year (probably marked down soon) are still happy they paid $50K more for the BEST NEW THING over the Z06/7 & are happy with their 2 sec. better road course times. Not trying to be mean, just really wondering. Kinda like the 1/4 milers spending $15K for mods to go 3 tenths faster. But hey if that's your thing, go for it. Lots of us buy $50K trucks to pull our $40K bass boats to burn 30 gallons of fuel at $3 a pop to catch 5 fish. What's that work out per lb?
The following users liked this post:
Suns_PSD (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:29 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Hunter
I knew that the Porsche GT2RS was going to beat the ZR1, but had high expectations for the Corvette. Somewhere I read that GM already had reach the high limit of the FE chassis, and it was the reason why they moved on with the ME C8 to to keep competing with the exotic european sport cars.
Hear hear. You are right. Big difference between 140 and 131 traps speeds.

Its not the FE chassis though its high limit of bowling green. The high limit of building a car that is cheap enough so 20,000 units/year (or whatever the crazy number is) can be sold. They could make a car that weighs 300 lbs less by simply removing luxury features, using lightweight recaro seats and keeping everything else same power wise and destroy the Porsche. But they wont. Because they are cheap. Because they want to appeal to 75 year old retirees (no disrespect) as much as 20 year old kids or people who may not be able to physically get in and out of tiny seats. Thats their problem. Not the FE chassis.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 07-15-2018 at 08:33 PM.
911Hunter (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps
They said they didn't want to spoil Lightning Lap results .

they had one sentence on tracking and wrote the ZR1 won the slalom vs the GT2RS for what that is worth. just not the real in depth comparison you expect form C&D
Old 07-15-2018, 09:19 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

I noticed that the ZRI was on MPSC2 AP's, and the GT2 RS was on MPSC2-apparently not ZPs. Are the GT2 RS's tires the R compound tires for this test. Would acceleration stats be different if they were on the same tires?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by desmophile
I noticed that the ZRI was on MPSC2 AP's, and the GT2 RS was on MPSC2-apparently not ZPs. Are the GT2 RS's tires the R compound tires for this test. Would acceleration stats be different if they were on the same tires?
Only the corvette uses Zero Pressure cup 2's.. All other Cup 2's are non ZP tires. Agreed though, would be nice to see a level playing field with a 'spec tire' of sorts.

Best Regards,
Dave
desmophile (07-15-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tadge indicated that the Chevy team went "all-in" on the ZR1. Once they made the decision not to engineer in a different auto trans, I think the mission was doomed vs. the competition. No matter how you slice it, from a performance car perspective, both the 720s and the GTRS both leave the ZR1 for dead. Not...even...close. You can talk tires, gas, wing, etc., even price, but from a technology and performance standpoint, those cars are substantial advancements. For the 720s, there are hardly words that can be used to describe its performance and driving comfort. I have yet to see it lose. I have owned several Corvettes, including 2 Z06s, and currently own a new ZL1 with the fantastic A10 transmission so I am a GM fan I also just sold a Gen V Viper GTS.

Hopefully, GM will get with the program with the C8 and get fully in the game--and at a real value price consistent with past performance.
911Hunter (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice colection Mako7
Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
I see that you've increased your post count from 192 to 210. 18 more posts bashing the Z06/ZR1.

You may want to consider expanding your reach & I have great news for you!

Yes! Your domain is available. Buy it before someone else does.

zr1fiasco.com

$14.99 $11.99
for the first year
Add to Cartzr1fiasco.us Add this:$1.00when you register for 2 years or more, 1st year price $1.00 Additional years $19.99
  • Buy 3 and Save 69%
  • zr1fiasco.net
  • zr1fiasco.org
  • zr1fiasco.info
$58.97 $18.00
for the first year

spring mountain has a special class for the zr1 owner’s. The tutor is Ricky Bobby’s dad and the class zr1 will be equipped with a cougar and blindfold

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 07-16-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
Not to mention the cost of all the other cars you had to buy to get it at anything close to MSRP...

Do you actually know someone who got it for MSRP?? Ha.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

A full luxury vented seats Gzillion features long range fast tourer costing 1/3 the competition get's beat by fraction of seconds from a pioneer carriage on steroids with racing bench seats worth about 30 minutes rides and a pretty lady kind of expensive to date...and you call the ZR1 antiquated?
Worse yet, this "retro" machine is so antiquated that by apparent fault continues to bring 20x buying customers (which are obviously successful yet retarded idiots.../sarc off) All to the benefit of human kind..

Just asking.. is this some kind of script from the twilight zone?

Cheers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Telepierre:
NotreOkc (07-17-2018), Suns_PSD (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
A full luxury vented seats Gzillion features long range fast tourer costing 1/3 the competition get's beat by fraction of seconds from a pioneer carriage on steroids with racing bench seats worth about 30 minutes rides and a pretty lady kind of expensive to date...and you call the ZR1 antiquated?
Worse yet, this "retro" machine is so antiquated that by apparent fault continues to bring 20x buying customers (which are obviously successful yet retarded idiots.../sarc off) All to the benefit of human kind..

Cheers.
Luxury ?? You made me spill my coffee.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre

Cheers.
This is the problem I have with the “team corvette” here. You guys keep EXAGGARATING every little detail.

- The competition doesn’t cost 3 times. It costs TWICE. Big difference.
- ZR1 isnt losing by “fraction of a second”. That would imply the difference to be less than a second. It lost by more than 2 seconds. In a track that long in willow, that is a lot.
- In a recent comparison, GT2RS did 1/4 mile @140 mph vs 131 mph ZR1. Do you understand the difference between these two numbers is massive? Its so massive that I think not 1 but 2 generation corvettes before c7 was 10 mph slower to 1/4 mile.

And with all due respect, I dont want no cooled seats. I m quite fit and my *** doesn’t sweat all the time. I want lightweight bucket recaro seats that are fully manual, have no memory function. I dont need heated seats either. My current car has neither and I survived sub zero temperatures in northeast and triple digits in summer.

Last edited by UnhandledException; 07-16-2018 at 01:29 PM.
larryfdx (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

This is the problem I have with the “team corvette” here. You guys keep EXAGGARATING every little detail.

- ZR1 isnt losing by “fraction of a second”. That would imply the difference to be less than a second. It lost by more than 2 seconds. In a track that long in willow, that is a lot.
- In a recent comparison, GT2RS did 1/4 mile @140 mph vs 131 mph ZR1. Do you understand the difference between these two numbers is massive? Its so massive that I think not 1 but 2 generation corvettes before c7 was 10 mph slower to 1/4 mile.

And with all due respect, I dont want no cooled seats. I m quite fit and my *** doesn’t sweat all the time. I want lightweight bucket recaro seats that are fully manual, have no memory function. I dont need heated seats either. My current car has neither and I survived sub zero temperatures in northeast and triple digits in summer.
I have to agree. the c7’s are more like a big 2 Door cadillac then a sports car. Given that is the case - it does pretty good compared to other cadillacs with or without wings on the back.

I’d take a zr1 with the junior wing and crank your own windows, a retro analog dash and one suspension setting with 3 modes full nannies traction control on or off or everything off. I do want AC and a heater but it doesn’t have to be fancy. A lever you can slide to the left for cold and right for heat and a 3 speed fan blower. Package the 750 horsepower with 5 speed manual transmission or real automatic dct.

Less is more for a 65k no dicker sticker and leave all the rest of the crap off. 65k— That’s really all the car is worth with or without all the doo-dads.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 07-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:47 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

You have to have good LC to win a comparison. Period.

Vette doesn't have good LC.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA

Luxury ?? You made me spill my coffee.
Blame it on your car idling not on me buddy.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

As soon as I got this magazine on Saturday I said to my wife, "Oh look a comparison between a ZR1 Corvette and a new Porsche. I'll predict before I even open one page the Porsche wins. Want to bet?" She said "Why do you buy that magazine anyway if they're so biased?" I said, "They gave me this year's for 5 bucks. Guess I need the aggravation! LOL" Of course the Corvette's trans sucked and they couldn't get a good 60 ft time and of course the Porsche had better interior and so on and so on but when it came to the $ 200,000.00 difference in price, C&D wanted to be fair and only gave the Vette ONE point for the difference instead of 10?!? Here's my issue with these car rags. They say the Corvette vs Porsche is 53 years old and one of the hottest in the automobile rivalries. But they never test apples to apples. In my opinion if I pay $ 200,00.00 more for a car it had better be superior in every way.But, C&D has become like most of any media anymore which is completely and utterly biased. I really don't care since they almost gave me the subscription for free. But it's not only Corvettes, it's any car the magazine's editors decide they'll like or dish. Really it's become a joke. But I still read the damn things anyway!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Campbell:
desmophile (07-16-2018), keagan (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
As soon as I got this magazine on Saturday I said to my wife, "Oh look a comparison between a ZR1 Corvette and a new Porsche. I'll predict before I even open one page the Porsche wins. Want to bet?" She said "Why do you buy that magazine anyway if they're so biased?" I said, "They gave me this year's for 5 bucks. Guess I need the aggravation! LOL" Of course the Corvette's trans sucked and they couldn't get a good 60 ft time and of course the Porsche had better interior and so on and so on but when it came to the $ 200,000.00 difference in price, C&D wanted to be fair and only gave the Vette ONE point for the difference instead of 10?!? Here's my issue with these car rags. They say the Corvette vs Porsche is 53 years old and one of the hottest in the automobile rivalries. But they never test apples to apples. In my opinion if I pay $ 200,00.00 more for a car it had better be superior in every way.But, C&D has become like most of any media anymore which is completely and utterly biased. I really don't care since they almost gave me the subscription for free. But it's not only Corvettes, it's any car the magazine's editors decide they'll like or dish. Really it's become a joke. But I still read the damn things anyway!
Porsche will do whatever it takes to get good press after the debacle with the funky 3.0 diesel engines from VW in the Panameras and Cayennes... It is so obvious its freaky lol

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette ZR1 & 911 GT2RS

Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Hear hear. You are right. Big difference between 140 and 131 traps speeds.

Its not the FE chassis though its high limit of bowling green. The high limit of building a car that is cheap enough so 20,000 units/year (or whatever the crazy number is) can be sold. They could make a car that weighs 300 lbs less by simply removing luxury features, using lightweight recaro seats and keeping everything else same power wise and destroy the Porsche. But they wont. Because they are cheap. Because they want to appeal to 75 year old retirees (no disrespect) as much as 20 year old kids or people who may not be able to physically get in and out of tiny seats. Thats their problem. Not the FE chassis.
Are going to buy one if they did? It may cost more than a Mustang! Sounds like you are the one who is cheap not GM. Don't think you will buying one anytime soon. Why not compare the ZR1 to the Mustang what you drive! Better yet to the Z06 . Instead of cars way past your league.
desmophile (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

The only way you will get a GT2RS for only twice the price of a new ZR1 is to A) ask dad who owns a Porsche dealership to sell you one and forfeit the $100k profit he would make selling it to someone else B) buy one that was in a significant wreck and was repaired at the local gas station.

These cars are limited, collectible and sell for enormous premiums.

You are correct, 2 seconds is a big gap on a 3ish mile roadcourse. But you wouldnt be sure which was faster if you lapped in both. The ZR1 sounds so much better that many people would think it is faster just from the noise. Even Pobst often cant tell which car is quicker.... even when he is over 1 second different in lap times. So that begs the question....

Why does lap time matter so much to you?

Dont get me wrong, all things equal I'd take the 911. But they arent equal.

If I want nothing but fast lap times and felt ok about spending $210k I would get a top tier Radical or something similar.

Your quarter mile trap,speed arguments are similar. Yes the GT2RS is faster. But you can mod a Corvette or Camaro or many other cars to do more than 140 in the quarter for far less money if that is all,you want. The GT2RS is a great track car. It is also unobtanium due to price and rarity as well as a,stiff,as,hell road,car due to the suspension choices Porsche made. It should be faster than the ZR1. The fact that it is is no surprise and it is nothing to keep harping on about.
The following 3 users liked this post by traind:
CorvettoBrando (07-16-2018), desmophile (07-16-2018), keagan (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
Porsche will do whatever it takes to get good press after the debacle with the funky 3.0 diesel engines from VW in the Panameras and Cayennes... It is so obvious its freaky lol
Maybe GM and Corvette should copy that page from the Porsche book.

Last edited by TARANTULA; 07-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 & 911 GT2RS